Which game would you recommend next?

Maddie

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Gregster101 said:

Ok, I guess if you absolutely have to play Fates, you should play Conquest, since it's the only one of the three paths that's actually good gameplay wise (although I still find it to be overrated). I would not play Birthright and Revelation

There's nothing particularly bad about Birthright's gameplay. Not nearly as amazing as Conquest's, but it's fun, and has some of the framework Conquest uses so well. If she enjoyed Awakening and Genealogy I see absolutely no reason why she wouldn't find Birthright fun.

Just don't get Revelation. It has a bunch of extremely tedious gimmicks and unit balance so terrible that 80% of the cast outside of the royal family barely even qualifies as usable.

13 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

There's nothing particularly bad about Birthright's gameplay. Not nearly as amazing as Conquest's, but it's fun, and has some of the framework Conquest uses so well. If she enjoyed Awakening and Genealogy I see absolutely no reason why she wouldn't find Birthright fun.

Just don't get Revelation. It has a bunch of extremely tedious gimmicks and unit balance so terrible that 80% of the cast outside of the royal family barely even qualifies as usable.

Birthright is absolutely boring as hell and piss easy, and the story, while the best of three Fates stories, still really sucks.

2 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

Birthright is absolutely boring as hell and piss easy, and the story, while the best of three Fates stories, still really sucks.

I won't contest the story, but the gameplay's pretty okay, and serves as an excellent introduction to the mechanics for somebody who wants to eventually play Conquest. It's certainly not worse than Awakening, and she seems to have enjoyed that just fine.

3 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

I won't contest the story, but the gameplay's pretty okay, and serves as an excellent introduction to the mechanics for somebody who wants to eventually play Conquest. It's certainly not worse than Awakening, and she seems to have enjoyed that just fine.

I mean, it's not terrible like say Revelation, but it also has nothing special about it either, it's just...there. You're really just better off playing any other FE game.

5 hours ago, CelicaLucina said:

@Alastor15243 My favourite overall cast is Awakening's.

If you like awakening's cast then I'd definitely recommend fates. Fates may not have the best cast in the series but it's characters are certainly a lot of fun and have a decent amount of depth and uniqueness to make them memorable(Also best girl is in back in conquest so that's automatically a plus in my books) and honestly the story is not as bad as people say it is. It certainly will straddle your suspension of disbelief a little bit but if you can get past that then the story functions just fine. I enjoy it at least.

3 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

If you like awakening's cast then I'd definitely recommend fates. Fates may not have the best cast in the series but it's characters are certainly a lot of fun and have a decent amount of depth and uniqueness to make them memorable(Also best girl is in back in conquest so that's automatically a plus in my books) and honestly the story is not as bad as people say it is. It certainly will straddle your suspension of disbelief a little bit but if you can get past that then the story functions just fine. I enjoy it at least.

Ignore him, the story is absolute dogshit

5 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

I mean, it's not terrible like say Revelation, but it also has nothing special about it either, it's just...there. You're really just better off playing any other FE game.

I'm not going to argue the point further.

Anyway, one game I definitely would advise you to avoid (not that it's likely you're considering this) would be Fire Emblem 1. It's basically worthless, especially since you played the DS remake. I just finished playing it recently as part of the whole-series retrospective I'm doing, and lemme tell ya... it's a fucking dinosaur. Only play it out of intellectual curiosity, because basically everything about it is slow and clunky and wrong. It offers absolutely nothing of value, whatsoever, that you can't get out of its remakes.

Gaiden, on the other hand, holds up much better, mostly because it got rid of so many of the things about FE1 that made it such a slog, putting the features aside until the series could handle them again on a later console. So if you're curious about seeing what SoV was originally like, give it a look!

Edited by Alastor15243

9 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

Ignore him, the story is absolute dogshit

I would certainly love to know why you think this way but I guess this isn't the thread for that though if you wanna PM me or something. I'd happy for an open discussion on the topic. I'll say it certainly is a somewhat contrived story but that's really a matter of opinion if nothing else. 

Edited by Ottservia

12 minutes ago, CelicaLucina said:

Owain is my favourite character in Awakening besides Lucina and he's in Fates. Severa and Inigo were amazing characters as well so I should enjoy Fates if not just because they are in it.

Unfortunately, they get pretty flanderized into bad characters in Fates. Especially poor Owain and Severa. 

Despite all the hate Revelations is getting, if you end up liking the other two routes of Fates you might want to play it anyway. The main selling points are that it is more of Fates if that is what you wanted, and lets you recruit all the major characters from both games. Its story isn't that much worse than the other two routes, and you should know what you are getting into after playing the others. Its infamous for its gimmicks, but there are plenty of gimmicks in the other two routes, Revelation just gets more noticed for having gimmicks of vastly differing quality seemingly randomly dispersed. The characters also arrive at random and arbitrary levels, which can make it a bit of a grind if you want to use some of the cast, and for reasons I cannot fathom it tends to be more restrictive with deployments slots despite having almost double the characters.

I will also note that the Awakening characters aren't recruited in Birthright, so Conquest might be a better starting place. Plus if you like Owain, you will probably like his daughter Ophelia.

10 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Its infamous for its gimmicks, but there are plenty of gimmicks in the other two routes, Revelation just gets more noticed for having gimmicks of vastly differing quality seemingly randomly dispersed.

Just to give some context, one level is entirely covered in ice that you then have to destroy to expose enemies, and since you only have a handful of units, you're heavily discouraged from breaking apart more than one 3x3 chunk per turn. Add to that the fact that every single enemy on the map has a droppable item, including an entire set of stat BOOSTERS, and the game heavily encourages you to slowly and tediously clear out the whole map bit by bit. It's one of the worst maps in the entire series, and my second least favorite of all time.

15 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I will also note that the Awakening characters aren't recruited in Birthright, so Conquest might be a better starting place. Plus if you like Owain, you will probably like his daughter Ophelia.

On the other hand, though, the Birthright side DOES have three children that are expies of other Awakening characters, so there's that.

29 minutes ago, CelicaLucina said:

I'm starting with Conquest as I've heard it's worth playing for the gameplay at least. Though I'll probably enjoy the the game.

Four pieces of advice: One, make sure to check enemy skills, because enemy units can and will have skills from outside their class. Two, avoid Arthur like the plague. Three. you'll learn to hate Hexing Rods. Four, it's a good idea to reclass Camilla out of her initial class and into Wyvern Lord asap.

Edited by Shadow Mir

On 9/6/2019 at 3:49 PM, CelicaLucina said:

I'm starting with Conquest as I've heard it's worth playing for the gameplay at least. Though I'll probably enjoy the the game.

Adding on to what ShadowMir said, if you're gonna continue with Conquest (which is only good for the gameplay and maps), here are some more useful tips: 

1) Don't use Mozu. She'll never get strong and she wastes too much EXP and a precious Heart Seal. Don't listen to those garbage "tips" you'll find on Youtube and other random websites who say otherwise.

2) Conquest is a fairly challenging game. I'm not sure how good you are at Fire Emblem, but you shouldn't do hard difficulty at all on the first run unless you would consider yourself a fairly good Fire Emblem player, so you should start off at Normal. Just don't do Pheonix and you'll be ok. 

3) Beware of Chapter 10. 

And yeah. After you're done with Conquest, I'd totally recommend playing some more "chill" games. If you have lots of spare time (and some money lol), get Three Houses. If you enjoyed Awakening and SoV, chances are you'll like Three Houses even more. After that I would recommend the playing the GBA games, Blazing Sword, Binding Blade, and Sacred Stones, in that order too. 

9 minutes ago, Mukmuk said:

And yeah. After you're done with Conquest, I'd totally recommend playing some more "chill" games. If you have lots of spare time (and some money lol), get Three Houses. If you enjoyed Awakening and SoV, chances are you'll like Three Houses even more.

Just be warned that it's a much, much bigger time investment than the other games in the series for a roughly comparable amount of actual core Fire Emblem content (per route, at least. Combined it has more maps than any other individual game, but it'll be somewhere around 200 hours before you see all of them). It's got a lot of completely unrelated gameplay stuff added to it that you might like, or you might find tedious as all get out. It's also very, very easy, even ignoring the number of extra lives it gives you per map.

7 minutes ago, CelicaLucina said:

@Alastor15243 What are the different gameplay stuff? Is it like Persona 5's day time events?

Yeah. Between that and the shitton of supports you get in batches, I'd ballpark (I haven't actually timed it) that unless you're rushing, it'll be somewhere between one and two hours between each story map.

2 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Yeah. Between that and the shitton of supports you get in batches, I'd ballpark (I haven't actually timed it) that unless you're rushing, it'll be somewhere between one and two hours between each story map.

But, you won’t be wasting your time. Every hour will be well spent and fun, notwithstanding the fact that 3 Houses is ridiculously easy. However, you can easily overlook the difficulty (something I can’t say for most games apart from Sacred Stones for me) that since it’s just a fun game. I think most people would agree that although you will spend, on average, over 80 hrs on just one route, it’s still a great experience.  

3 minutes ago, Mukmuk said:

But, you won’t be wasting your time. Every hour will be well spent and fun, notwithstanding the fact that 3 Houses is ridiculously easy. However, you can easily overlook the difficulty (something I can’t say for most games apart from Sacred Stones for me) that since it’s just a fun game. I think most people would agree that although you will spend, on average, over 80 hrs on just one route, it’s still a great experience.  

I'm just warning her that if she doesn't like the other half of the game, she's likely going to be bored. A lot. Because the game had a looooooot of padding that you won't mind if you're into it, but if, like me, you find it a massive, repetitive waste of time... you're in for a world of pain with this game.

36 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

I'm just warning her that if she doesn't like the other half of the game, she's likely going to be bored. A lot. Because the game had a looooooot of padding that you won't mind if you're into it, but if, like me, you find it a massive, repetitive waste of time... you're in for a world of pain with this game.

Oh yeah, I can totally see what you're talking about. Yeah. 

Well, I mean, since she's relatively new to FE (or so she says), I don't think she'll mind the padding. But you're right, it does get painfully repetitive sometimes. 

7 hours ago, CelicaLucina said:

@Mukmuk I'm kind of new to Fire Emblem but I've played quite a few of the games now.

Based on the games you have played so far, Conquest and (potentially) Three Houses will be completely fine for you. 

So have fun delving into new FE experiences! That's really all I have to say. (I mean, I would hardly call Conquest an enjoyable game, but that's me.)