Jedi

What kind of characters?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. 1st Party? 3rd Party? Both?

• More leaned towards 1st party
    • More leaned towards 3rd party
    • A fair mixture
    • Other (Specify)

Do you feel we're going to get more 3rd parties, maybe a lot of 1st? Maybe a mixture? 

I'm personally feeling like it'll be pretty much more 3rd parties just to make this party even more insane than it is now, and gut feeling, bout it. 

What about the rest of you?

I can imagine a scenario where Sakurai is like "man, it's a shame I didn't have the time to put that guy in" and that guy happens to be a nintendo character. Plus not having to make deals with other companies smooths the process while also upping the profit margins since I assume Nintendo has to pay for licensing rights. But after his speech about just polishing the record on the best crossover of all time, I think that's code for "we really love doing these third parties even if it tanks our bankroll". I don't anticipate any first parties. If we did get some it'd be like "Really, Sakurai? You extended your hellish contract to put mach rider in Smash? Was it worth it?"

Edited by Glennstavos

On one hand I would like to see first party characters added in the new wave of DLC characters. On the other hand, there aren't really any big name Nintendo owned characters for them to add at this point unless they start pulling from recent entries like Three Houses, Pokemon Sword and Shield and I hate to say it Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Sakurai's comment of pulling more worlds together also makes it sound like it's mostly going to be more third party characters. Personally, I don't mind who gets added since nothing forces me to pay for them if I don't like who gets picked but I voted a mix of first and third party because can't see all the DLC characters being third party. At the very least I can see it being eighty percent third party and twenty percent first party for overall DLC.

what sakurai said is quite ambiguous

while he said probably no other smash game could reach the amount of characters ultimate has, and that he wants to work hard to make this record even higher, and this is a fact, it's also true that he actually never openly said whether he wants to do so by adding characters from 1st party series or 3rd party ones

i'm honestly leaning towards 1st parties, simply because it would make things overall easier for everyone, but no one can really say for sure until sakurai says otherwise

this said, i'd love it to be another 3rd party-focused fighter pass

Edited by Yexin

I hope we get a couple first party characters at least as I really want a Three Houses character or more Xenoblade and Kid Icarus representation. Though having more 3rd party character will be good as it increases the chance of Sora in smash (the only 3rd party character I really want as Joker and Banjo were actually added).

I'm hoping for first party characters, cuz I wasn't too big on the idea of the first Fighter Pass being entirely third party characters. I think Rex has a shot considering how much Sakurai regrets not being able to add him in the base game due to Xenoblade 2 being announced after Ultimate's project plan was finalized.

If Nintendo let Sakurai pick the characters this time then I can see him wanting to add first parties who were too late for the base game (Rex, a Three Houses character, a Gen VIII Pokémon, Astral Chain protagonist, etc.). If Nintendo picked the characters again then we'll just get more third parties.

Sakurai's statement on worlds is apparently more accurately translated as "by adding just one character we can expand the world of Smash" so I don't think it means anything. Unless he means we're only getting one more character.

If things are to be perfectly balanced as all things should be, I can see them going the 1st Party route when it comes to DLC.

But i just really want Rex. Or any Xenoblade rep tbh.

I would like a prioritization of third parties. I just feel like they have more to offer in terms of variety, stages, music, and audience expansion.

Plus... we already have such an extensive first party line up. Perhaps one first party pass to represent Arms, No More Heroes, and various others.

Edited by Etheus

1 hour ago, Etheus said:

I would like a prioritization of third parties. I just feel like they have more to offer in terms of variety, stages, music, and audience expansion.

Plus... we already have such an extensive first party line up. Perhaps one first party pass to represent Arms, No More Heroes, and various others.

There's still several first party characters that are deserving to be playable at this point though. Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, Rex, etc. Also, No More Heroes is third party

5 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

There's still several first party characters that are deserving to be playable at this point though. Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, Rex, etc. Also, No More Heroes is third party

Right. No More Heroes isn't first party, but is a Nintendo exclusive franchise. It's basically fair to view Travis Touchdown as a Nintendo character.

And just because a character is deserving (whatever that means) doesn't mean that they are optimal. The level of excitement and variety that say... Bandana Dee can bring is lower than that of a popular third party character. It would just be another Kirby stage and more Kirby tracks. 

If anything, I'd argue that they could use a Fighter Pass-lite to introduce first parties. Just characters, and maybe soundtracks. No need to make a new stage or spirits. Might save on dev time and get them out faster.

Edited by Etheus

1 minute ago, Etheus said:

Right. No More Heroes isn't first party, but is a Nintendo exclusive franchise. It's basically fair to view Travis Touchdown as a Nintendo character.

And just because a character is deserving doesn't mean that they are optimal. The level of excitement and variety that say... Bandana Dee can bring is lower than that of a popular third party character. It would just be another Kirby stage and more Kirby tracks. 

If anything, I'd argue that they could use a Fighter Pass-lite to introduce first parties. Just characters, and maybe soundtracks. No need to make a new stage or spirits. Might save on dev time and get them out faster.

The first No More Heroes game was ported to the PS3.

And that doesn't mean there aren't people who legitimately want them though. Like, Bandana Dee really should be in Smash at this point goddammit

Just now, Gregster101 said:

The first No More Heroes game was ported to the PS3.

And that doesn't mean there aren't people who legitimately want them though. Like, Bandana Dee really should be in Smash at this point goddammit

Right. I'd never argue that someone doesn't legitimately want something. Trouble is, we're all competing for what we want. Everyone's gonna be disappointed at some point, and we just have to accept that and take what we get. These discussions can get heated for a reason.

What I question is what "deserving" even means. What scale is there for determining if one character deserves it more than another?

Was Terry Bogard undeserving just because most of the world incredulously asked "who?" on his reveal? I don't know. There are certainly some posters here who were delighted by that announcement. Seems deserving to me, and the problem is that such could be applied to pretty much every character ever.

8 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Right. I'd never argue that someone doesn't legitimately want something. Trouble is, we're all competing for what we want. Everyone's gonna be disappointed at some point, and we just have to accept that and take what we get. These discussions can get heated for a reason.

What I question is what "deserving" even means. What scale is there for determining if one character deserves it more than another?

Was Terry Bogard undeserving just because most of the world incredulously asked "who?" on his reveal? I don't know. There are certainly some posters here who were delighted by that announcement. Seems deserving to me, and the problem is that such could be applied to pretty much every character ever.

Well quit acting like characters such as Bandana Dee and Dixie don't deserve to be in Smash dammit!

2 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

Well quit acting like characters such as Bandana Dee and Dixie don't deserve to be in Smash dammit!

Why are you mad at me? I don't decide who gets in.

If Dixie gets in Smash, yeah, I'll be disappointed and just won't buy her. But I'm not petitioning Sakurai to not include her, and I'm not saying she doesn't deserve to get in, whatever that means. If he or Nintendo have a vision for Dixie in Smash, that is their prerogative, and a lot of people will be happy with that.

I want more third parties because that's what I want, and that's what I think will be the most exciting. It's not about deserving or gatekeeping. Last I checked, it's usually other posters who take the time to call me out for who I want.

It's hard to say. On one hand I feel like they might want to reign things in and go back to first parties. On the other hand I feel if that's all they're going to add they wouldn't even make more DLC. As popular as some first parties are within the fandom, and as much as even I want some of them, I have to admit no one is left that will be especially eye-catching for a wider audience so far into the game's life.

2 hours ago, Gregster101 said:

Dixie is my most wanted and even I don't see how you're getting this from his posts.

1 minute ago, Flere210 said:

I just hope its not going to be someone that make me roll my eyes. Wich are mostly third party characters. I am in the liberating stage were some of my worst nightmares have been released, so as long as it's not Master Chef i don't care.

I know that was a typo, but Master Chef would unironically be the best thing.

Gordon Ramsey heats it up!

I voted for first party but I hope that I'm wrong and its it's actually a mixture.

My big three third-party wants are Phoenix, Sora, and Zero (preferably the Megaman Zero incarnation) but I also really want Issac, Cackletta (or any representation for the mario RPGs really), and the 3H lords so yeah a mixture would be great.

5 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:

I voted for first party but I hope that I'm wrong and its it's actually a mixture.

My big three third-party wants are Phoenix, Sora, and Zero (preferably the Megaman Zero incarnation) but I also really want Issac, Cackletta (or any representation for the mario RPGs really), and the 3H lords so yeah a mixture would be great.

MMZ Zero would be fucking awesome...

But they gave us classic green tits Zero for the Mii costume, so I wouldn't get my hopes up. 😔