What are your favourite game franchises besides Fire Emblem?

Maddie

For me personally my favourite game franchises besides Fire Emblem are: Persona, The Legend of Zelda, Kid Icarus and Xenoblade 1 & 2 (not played Saga or Gears yet). I also love Final Fantasy VII (not played any other games in the franchise yet but I plan to play VI soon) and Undertale (has a phenomonal soundtrack ,the game is short so you can replay it often and I actually really like Sans).

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(wow, it's been a while since i last posted XD)

Other game franchises that i like are:

Series:

- Pokemon
- Ace Attorney
- Megaman
- Spyro (OG, and the Legend of Spyro remake.... i havent played Skylanders yet)
- Sonic Rush & Rivals
- Monster Hunter (though i don't play AS much bcs i'm scared i might break my circle pad)
- Mario Kart
- Bravely
- Mario (the platformers)
- Five Nights at Freddy's
- Etrian Odyssey
- Patapon
- Dynasty Warriors
- Azure Striker Gunvolt
- Kingdom Hearts

Stand-Alone games:
- Stella Glow
- The Alliance Alive
- Dragonball Fusions

Games that are part of a series:
- Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX
- Final Fantasy Theathrythm Curtain Call

My favorite video game franchise is actually The Legend of Zelda and then Fire Emblem. Pokemon is another I like, I love Ace Attorney and have played all of them. Super Smash Bros obviously. For Mario I have only played the 3d ones since I wasn't around the side scroll era to be nostalgic. On the switch I enjoyed Octopath Traveler and can't wait until the second game. I have played some of the 2d metroid and I really want the prime trilogy to be released on switch bc I haven't played it.

If we go out across nintendo then some of my most favorites from other platforms would be

Uncharted, Assassins Creed, Bioshock, Jak, Sly Cooper, Tomb Raider

I love Inazuma Eleven, Kingdom Hearts, Bravely, God of War, Castlevania (except for the action ones), Trails and Smash Bros.

there are more which i like but not enough to say they're among my favorite series ever

i also used to love pokemon, but with time i noticed how mediocre at best game freak is, as a development team, and the last Sw/Sh controversy only strengthens my idea

Edited by Yexin

Started my gaming life with:

Total War (Age 5, a bit young I know...)

The Legend of Zelda (Pretty soon after Total War)

Yeah and thats where it all began:

Xenoblade Chronicles

Super Mario

Dark Souls

Octopath Traveler

Smash Bros.

Metal Gear 

Sh*t ton of strategy games

Retro Games like Pac-Man, Tetris

Aaaaaand of course my beloved Fire Emblem!!!

This belongs in the General Gaming section, not General.

For discussion of television, books, music or other forms of entertainment (excluding video games obviously).

Anyway, Ace Attorney, Donkey Kong, Mario, Legend of Zelda, Splatoon, Kirby, Metroid, Star Fox, TimeSplitters, Super Smash Bros., and Pikmin.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

• Mario - Still manages to show other platformers how it's done, there's always good level design and control in Mario games.
  • Legend of Zelda - Fantastic adventure games, it's fun getting all the weapons and tools from dungeons and figuring out new ways to use them to find hidden stuff.
  • Metroid - Only really played Prime and Super Metroid, but atmosphere and exploration were handled so well in the Metroid series up until they decided Samus was too lonely for whatever reason.
  • Metal Gear - Messy, convoluted plots, random zany bits, immense amounts of ham and cheese... and I love it all.  Oh, and the stealth-oriented gameplay is neat, too.
  • The Sims - It's nice to chill out making a little picket fences and cheery faces family every once in a while, but the real fun is in all the ways you aren't supposed to play the game; in the Sims 4, the most fun I've had was making Sims take illicit drugs and commit violence out of nasty blood feuds via mods.  Also was fun making a stupidly geeky vampire dad with a junkie vampire son.
  • Fallout/The Elder Scrolls - Honestly enjoy 'em for similar reasons.  Great big open world RPGs with immense freedom in customization, both in terms of character creation/progression and to the actual games themselves.  They're almost always buggy pieces of crap, but that isn't enough to keep me from coming back to them.
  • Mass Effect - Still have yet to play Andromeda (which I got for literally $5 on Origin, which astounds me), but the appeal for me has always been working with your partly alien team to build a better future for the galaxy in your own way.
  • Grand Theft Auto - An understated asset of these games is how they always manage to form interesting stories and narratives for the crooks you play as (at least starting with Vice City; before that, protagonists didn't really have a personality, unless you count Claude shooting a woman who won't stop talking at the end of the game as "personality").  Always liked the alternative look the GTA games gave both the criminal underworld and law enforcement - in San Andreas, they are practically full on criminal (tbf, it's C.R.A.S.H., which is meant to be law enforcement's imitation of gangs).
  • Saints Row - As much as I do like GTA, I feel Saints Row did a better job with the gang angle.  The appeal is in forming your gang and then working with them to basically take over the city and destroy the other gangs who wish to do the same to you.  Nothing beats wiping out the smug bastards that lead the rival gangs.

That's all I care to list for now.

I've always been a bit of an anomaly in this community, as I'm more into franchises that were developed in the west.  Some of the games folks here list aren't even games I was aware of existing, or are otherwise games I know barely a thing about.  Even Persona, a game that has seemed to have recently received quite the acclaim, is a series I hardly know anything about aside from I guess it's got some sort of dual life thing going (you explore your character's normal day-to-day life, then you do your moonlight job or whatever; or I could be conflating it with SMT).  Don't even know what the actual gameplay is like or what its main appeal is.

Pokemon, Resident Evil, The Elder Scrolls (Morrowind's probably one of my top favourite games rn), Fallout, and Devil May Cry. just got into Fallout so I've been busy playing that more than three houses, actually.

@EricaofRenais Which SMT game would you recommend for a newcomer? I love the Persona franchise as much as Fire Emblem and I've heard that Persona 1-2 are similar to SMT and I loved those games. I loved the bit of Nocturne I played but it was really difficult so I've not finished it yet.

2 hours ago, Shinehollow said:

just got into Fallout so I've been busy playing that more than three houses, actually.

Be prepared for one of the biggest time sinks of your life, lmao.  I can't tell you how many hours I've spent with 3, New Vegas, and 4.  They're just the kinds of games where there's so much you can do.  After all these years of playing those games, I still occasionally find new things to do, and that isn't even to get into what modding has done to extend their longevity.

How do you feel about Dad Liam Neeson?

Also, praise Nerevar and cast down the false gods ヽRGaYS2c.png

- Mega Man (X, Zero, ZX)

- Ace Attorney

- Mother

- Trails

- Zero Escape

Probably forgetting more, and there are many others that I like, but they don't count as my favorites.

2 hours ago, CelicaLucina said:

@EricaofRenais Which SMT game would you recommend for a newcomer? I love the Persona franchise as much as Fire Emblem and I've heard that Persona 1-2 are similar to SMT and I loved those games. I loved the bit of Nocturne I played but it was really difficult so I've not finished it yet.

I started with SMT IV and I think it was a good place to start, but honestly I think SMT Strange Journey would be the one I recommend for a new player since it is a bit easier and teaches you what you need to know to play well a bit better.  

My tastes tend to change except for like 3 series but here we go.

Series:

-Pokemon

-Xenoblade

-Persona

-Final Fantasy

Standalone games:

-Radiant Historia

-Splatoon 2 

-Battlefield 4

-Octopath

I'm probably missing something but it really does depend on what I've been playing and my current mood. Being indecisive just means you have new favourites every month lol 

Edited by ChickenBits

I've got some, though most are the really big franchises.

- The Legend of Zelda
- Mario
- Pokemon
- Super Smash Bros.
- Xenoblade Chronicles (even though I've only played the second one, I might go try the newly announced remake of the first. I like Xenoblade 2 a lot)
- Art Academy (I say this because there's regular Art Academy, Pokemon Art Academy, and Disney Art Academy, so it's technically a series)
- Warriors (though I've only played Hyrule Warriors and FE Warriors. I do wish I could try other games in this series, but pretty much none are on Nintendo consoles.)

24 minutes ago, EricaofRenais said:

I started with SMT IV and I think it was a good place to start, but honestly I think SMT Strange Journey would be the one I recommend for a new player since it is a bit easier and teaches you what you need to know to play well a bit better.  

SJ easier than 4 is new. Do you mean the rerelease? 

2 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Be prepared for one of the biggest time sinks of your life, lmao.  I can't tell you how many hours I've spent with 3, New Vegas, and 4.  They're just the kinds of games where there's so much you can do.  After all these years of playing those games, I still occasionally find new things to do, and that isn't even to get into what modding has done to extend their longevity.

How do you feel about Dad Liam Neeson?

Also, praise Nerevar and cast down the false gods ヽRGaYS2c.png

I've already got like 60 hours on pc New Vegas, and a bit more on my xbox that I used before I got a better pc. I don't really have anything else to do so I've been playing it almost non-stop. 

he's kind of a bad dad, kind of obsessed husband, very obsessed with the past, and one of my favourite Fallout characters next to Arcade for whatever reason.

@Ertrick36 Persona 3-5 are very much character and story driven with the game having a calendar system. You basically have to balance social sims with main story dungeons. The games are also really long and the cast is phenomenal. The OST for the games is amazing and I listen to a lot of it outside of playing the game. Persona 1 & 2 are similar to mainline SMT as you contact demons and is a constant dungeon crawler but I loved them as the story and cast were great and the gameplay is fun outside of the annoyingly high encounter rate. 

I don't play alot of western games. Not because I hate them but I am quite bad at figuring out what to do and can be boring sometimes. Skyrim is fun though but I've not played a Fallout game outside of 4 which was decent.

Never played Sims but I might give it a go as it seems funny.

10 minutes ago, Shinehollow said:

he's kind of a bad dad, kind of obsessed husband, very obsessed with the past, and one of my favourite Fallout characters next to Arcade for whatever reason.

Arcade's one of my favorite characters in video games in general.  I can't help but always bring that awkward, sarcastic, gay doctor who always deflects personal questions with me every time I play the game.

Also really like Raul the "too old for this shit" ghoul, Whiskey Rose Cassidy, robo doggo Rex, Craig "I would really like my beret back" Boone...  New Vegas in general just has some really appealing companions and interesting major characters.  It's why I often cite Chris Avellone - one of the senior developers and a major writer for the game (particularly the DLCs) - as one of my favorite writers in the gaming industry.

15 minutes ago, CelicaLucina said:

@Ertrick36 Persona 3-5 are very much character and story driven with the game having a calendar system. You basically have to balance social sims with main story dungeons. The games are also really long and the cast is phenomenal. The OST for the games is amazing and I listen to a lot of it outside of playing the game. Persona 1 & 2 are similar to mainline SMT as you contact demons and is a constant dungeon crawler but I loved them as the story and cast were great and the gameplay is fun outside of the annoyingly high encounter rate. 

I don't play alot of western games. Not because I hate them but I am quite bad at figuring out what to do and can be boring sometimes. Skyrim is fun though but I've not played a Fallout game outside of 4 which was decent.

Never played Sims but I might give it a go as it seems funny.

- A dungeon crawler and social sim... I'm guessing the encounters are like typical turn-based RPGs.  Only turn-based RPGs I've played are Final Fantasy (specifically the first game, 9, and 10) and Phantasy Star on the Genesis Collection for the PS3.

- Some western-developed games are complete stinkers, just like how those from Japan can be awful.  4 isn't the best Fallout game imo, but it definitely has the best gunplay; Fallout 3 and New Vegas have more interesting progression systems and I liked the stories in those better, but the gunplay is kinda shoddy in those games (where you're aiming does not always equate to where your bullets actually hit).  Skyrim is fun, but the main quest itself leaves a lot to be desired in my personal opinion, and is thus probably the weakest aspect of the game.  Morrowind can be a bit... clunky to play, but when you understand how it works, it's quite neat - not to mention it's fun to see how you can break the game with spells and alchemy.  Oblivion is full-blown ridiculous without really intending to be ridiculous, although the Shivering Isles are intended to be such and also are rather reminiscent of Morrowind in terms of scenery (I think the first town is pretty much a replica of Seyda Neen, the first town you enter in Morrowind).  All in all, I think they all have their own strengths and weaknesses.

- The first Sims game is free, I think - in fact, I think you can just get the Ultimate Collection for it for free, which contains every DLC pack for the game.  The Sims 2 is probably also pretty easy to acquire for free, though you'd have to do a bit more digging to find the full collection for free.  The later two, however, aren't readily available for free.  Word of advice is you should conduct research in regards to the DLC for the Sims 3 and the Sims 4.  Sims 3 has some serious issues if you install too many DLCs, and Sims 4's DLC collection is just way too goddamn expensive, costing you upwards of $600, with some of them just being pointless additions.  Just to ease you in, I'd recommend one of the first two games simply because they're easier to run and you don't have to deal with ridiculous price tags (even if you can't find them for free).  I've had fun with 2 in particular; at base it has roughly the same amount of features as the Sims 4, which is probably more a condemnation of 4 than it is an achievement for 2.