What are your favourite game franchises besides Fire Emblem?

Maddie

Outside of Fire Emblem I like...

• Super Mario Bros
  • Legend of Zelda
  • Final Fantasy
  • Ace Attorney
  • Persona
  • Megaman (X/Zero/Battle Newtork)
  • Trails series (Sky and Cold Steel)
  • Castlevania
  • Shovel Knight
  • The Messenger

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like the Tales of and Dragon Quest series.

Uh...I'm pretty bad at explaining why, so I don't have much to say...

But with Tales, I really like the gameplay, and how it usually changes a little bit from each game (Tales of Graces f probably has my favorite action RPG battle system). I also tend to really like the characters, their development. And the skits can be pretty great too (shame Abyss and Symphonia's weren't voiced...)

Dragon Quest...it's just a charming game series. The combat is simple, but I still enjoy it. Some people don't like the accents or voice acting, but personally I really like them. I feel like they add even more charm. The stories are simple, but not bad. ...oh, and I really enjoyed exploring VIII's world. If I had one word to describe the series as a whole, it would be just that: charming.

14 hours ago, Flere210 said:

SJ easier than 4 is new. Do you mean the rerelease? 

I guess.  it must be just me, but I found the original easier then 4 as well.

My favorite franchises aside from Fire Emblem with a brief description why I like them in no particular order:

• Atelier: an adorable game series with equally adorable characters, fantastic music and gameplay.
  • Neptunia: amazing games with amazing characters. The humor in these games is fantastic, as is the gameplay. A game from this franchise is actually my favorite game right now.
  • Warriors: Fun games where you can just kick back and kill mooks at your leisure. The stories and characters are interesting, too.
  • Etrian Odyssey: Fantastic dungeon crawler games where you can make your own party. I enjoy drawing my own maps as well.
  • Tales of: great stories, awesome gameplay, even more amazing characters. These games have everything that I want out of a game and then some.
  • Nights of Azure: while it only has two games, they are both great. Warriors-like gameplay put on top of Atelier-like character designs, amazing music, and downright heartbreaking stories. If you're willing to look past the fanservice, Nights of Azure and the sequel, Bride of the New Moon, are fantastic games

Now a list with some of my favorite standalone games in no particular order:

• Stella Glow
  • 7th Dragon III: Code VFD
  • Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk
  • Shining Resonance Refrain
  • Persona 5
  • Okami
  • Shadow of the Colossus
  • Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth
  • Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky
  • Pokémon Ranger Guardian Signs

For me it's probably:
-Ys
-Legend of Heroes
-Kirby
-Castlevania (Particularly the Symphony-type games)

tbh it's hard to think of other cases where I like most of the games in a series rather than just a few games. Maybe Civilization, but I haven't played one in a long time.

2 minutes ago, CelicaLucina said:

@DragonFlames What is the gameplay like in Neptunia? I've seen a few random games on the store and was considering trying it but I've heard nothing about the franchise. Honestly I prefer games for their characters and story so it won't matter if the gameplay is average.

The gameplay of the mainline games is traditional turn-based combat, but you can move freely on the battlefield and you can chain normal attacks together with button presses like in some Action RPGs such as Tales of Berseria.
Depending on the game, you have either three or four party members and as many backup members which you can switch in and out of combat (I never made much use of this, but it's there nonetheless). If I had to compare the combat system to another game series, I'd say it's similar to the Legend of Heroes games, particularly the Trails of Cold Steel games.
Outside of combat, you run around different dungeons like other JRPGs, though the dungeon design is arguably the weakest part in the franchise, as they are reused a lot. Dialogue and story is presented in a visual novel-style with emoting portraits talking to each other (sort of like Fire Emblem pre-Three Houses). It looks something like this (from Megadimension Neptunia VII, which is the fourth (seventh, counting the Re;Birth games) mainline game):
Megadimension-Neptunia-VII_2016012815482

I know little about the spin-off games,  as I have only played Super Neptunia RPG on the Switch (which turned out to be a platformer of all things), but from what I heard, they usually have different gameplay styles. @Armagon and @Shrimperor may be able to shed more light on this than I can.

Fair warning, though: the games have copious amounts of fanservice. I'm personally not bothered by that kind of thing, but I understand that many people are.

@CelicaLucina to add to what DragonFlames said,

If you are playing them on steam, make sure to use the Retranslation patches for Re;Birth 2 and 3.

As for the Spin off games, the ones i played where Noire776 Hyperdevotion Noire, Nepunia Action U and Cyberdimension, and honestly, i'd stick to the mainline games, which are much much much better.

Hyperdevotion is a fun-ish SRPG, but it has that one stupid thing called self-insert. WHY.

The less i say about Action U, the better.

As for Cyberdimension, it's fun, but it's one buggy mess.

Also, people way overstimate the fanservice in the mainline games tbh. There alot of it, yes, but not really that much as people make them out to be.

@CelicaLucina to add to what the two above me have said, despite being a spin-off, Superdimension Neptune actually plays very similarly to the mainline series.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Anyway, my favorite game franchises outside of Fire Emblem:

• Well to get the most obvious one out of the way, Xeno. I started this series with Xenoblade Chronicles on the New 3DS and as of this post, i have played every game in the series except Xenoblade Chronicles X (which i'm still fairly familiar with). I love this series a lot. It's my favorite video game series period. As an overall package, my favorite game in the series is Xenoblade Chronicles 2 though from a gameplay standpoint, i prefer Torna ~ The Golden Country and from a story standpoint, Xenogears is my favorite video game story.
  • Trails was a series i got into because quite a few people on this site enjoyed it so i decided to see what all the buzz was about. The games are great.
  • Super Smash Bros. It's Smash, what else can i say?
  • Hyperdimension Neptunia: I went in for the cute girls, what i got what a surprisingly solid series. The cute girls are just the bonus.
  • Atelier: Pretty much the same thing that happened with Neptunia except this one scratches the Rune Factory itch i've had for a while.......even though i've only ever played one Rune Factory game. Speaking of
  • Rune Factory 4: this one's more of a single game than the series because i've only played that one but Rune Factory's good. I remember buying it on a whim and for the next few months, it was the only game i'd play on my 3DS.
  • Azure Striker Gunvolt: What if Mega Man was anime wait, it already was. Ok let's rephrase that: what if Mega Man fused with X-Men? I don't play a lot of indie games but this series is great and it's gotten my trust placed in Inti Creates. There's three of these games currently, with the third one releasing in two weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

While I only played Persona 3-4 for the moment, I think both games, and Persona 4 Arena, Ultimax, and Dancing All Night are the games which really do deserve their acclaim. Their big homeruns are:

• Stories that are given the effort and care in general - and well thought-out commentaries of contemporary Japan's social issues that is all too often not talked about unlike in the West.
  • aspects of worldbuilding and concepts of personas and psychology that arouse my curiosity (Nenilein on Youtube is a great place to learn about the tarots etc.),
  • characters that resemble more like real Japanese teenagers from a documentary than from a stereotypical trashy anime, and
  • gameplay that is one of the most accessible

P3 and P4 have lots to like, and few and far to complain.

PS My signature has links to reviews of Persona 4: Golden (the updated remake of P4 proper) and Dancing All Night which further elabourates my above opinion. (Both threads are necro, so PM me if you want to reply.)

Edited by henrymidfields

13 hours ago, Edegard1902 said:

@henrymidfields The Persona franchise is the only franchise I love more than Fire Emblem and I never get bored of constantly replaying the games. I'd recommend playing 1,2 and 5 as well.

Oh, I'm definitely playing P5 Royal once it comes out, and hopefully P6 too! 1, 2, though, I'm somewhat on the fence. Are they just as accessible as P3P?

@henrymidfields It depends on how much you like playing retro RPGs. Storywise and character wise I personally think they are as good as the later games though Persona 1's cast is kind of focused solely on one character so some feel underdeveloped. Persona 2 gameplaywise is fun when you get into it but it is a random encounter kind of RPG where you have to talk with the demons to gain cards to summon new Personas (The game give you a tutorial in the first battle) though grinding is hard to do so I'd recommend experimenting with new Personas if you get stuck on a boss or area. I'd say Persona 1 is harder to play as it has a frustratingly high encounter rate and you can't skip battle animations which honestly do ruin the experience playing a the game which sucks as I loved the theme of the story. The soundtrack is still really good. I prefer 3-5 over them as 1-2 don't have slinks so you don't get to develop some characters much out of the main story. 

Hmmm. I thought long and hard about it, and I'd say the franchise that stuck to me right in the heart are.

Dark Souls and the soulsborne series are on the list. Etrian Odyssey, SMT (despite some of their more recent... mistakes.), Dragon Quest,
I kind of lost faith in pokemon after Go and the big deal about Sword & Shield, but shoot, I love what was before too much. Megaman is good stuff.
Aaaah... Zelda. Good stuff too.
Azure Strike Gunvolt... Does it count as Megaman ? Good stuff too, again. Very rewarding and challenging to play.

Edited by B.Leu

• 3 weeks later...
  • Super Mario series(as well as its various other spinoffs like Wario land)
  • Kirby
  • Mega Man
  • Sonic
  • Pokemon
  • Legend of Zelda
  • Blaster Master

I want to say Ys because while the series as a whole is amazing, I like Ys when it was top down and not something like now. Don't get me wrong, Ys IS a great series and I'll get into it but none of them besides the earlier ones make me want to play them again for some reason.

I guess Legend of Heroes is the same. Like it a lot and want to get more into it so time will tell.

• Pokemon - some people are up in arms over Sword and Shield, but personally, I'm not giving up on Game Freak just yet
  • Super Smash Bros.
  • Warriors
  • Atelier
  • Rune Factory
  • Tales
  • Legend of Heroes
  • Zelda

There might be more, but I can't think of any more now.

• 3 weeks later...

In no particular order just the others I really follow and like.

Legend of Zelda:  Can't really say anything else about this one that hasn't been said.  Some amazing fan work out there in the SFM department check out MajorLink sometime on youtube

Castlevania/Bloodstained:  Always have loved the gothic horror element and reignited interest due to Bloodstained being great.

Halo:  I actually have loved the world building and story.  Got really into all the books especially the Nylund ones.  Fall of Reach is my favorite

Metroid:  Didn't really get into it until Prime one but loved the scan mechanic and how it built up the world

Civilization series:  talk about a series with replay ability and if you are a history nut like me you will waste gobs of time