White Heron Cup: Opponents?

Does the game just randomly pick contestants for the opposing houses? My previous runs had seemingly logical opponents, but for this run...why the hell would they pick Felix and Leonie?

EDIT: For the record, I have recruited NO students from other houses.

Edited by Sid Starkiller

One time I got the two gentle bois - Ashe and Ignatz - and they had to go against Dorothea from my house.

Just now, Okigen said:

I think it is random. In my last one I got Hubert lol Shamir voted for him. Reasoning: "Can't say why".

Spoiler

Hubert told her about his and Edelgard's plans to turn against the church.

She's in on the plan.

She's giving favor to the Black Eagles so that no one will suspect a thing.

Don't trust Shamir.

lmao

Think it's random. In BL I sent in Ashe and his opponents were Dorothea and Claude (the only person I recruited was Lysithea). In GD, I had Lysithea be a dancer and her opponents were Dedue and Petra.

For both my GD and BL runs Dorothea was the Black Eagle's representatives since I didn't recruit her on both routes. She's probably the default competitor for the BE. 

Edit: Overall, I guess it is random. Is just that the other houses will have less options the more characters you recruit from them. It is quite hilarious. 

Edited by Cron

It's most definitely random, but what I can't tell is whether the chosen opponents influence the competition results. That is, is your charm simply compared against a fixed target value and the other two dancers just there for show, or does their charm value matter?

From comparing my own experience to my sister's, we both are playing Golden Deer, and we both selected Lorenz as our representative. I was matched up against Ferdinand and Mercedes. I won, but Shamir voted for Ferdinand. However, my sister was instead pitted against Caspar and Dedue, and took all three votes. I do seem to remember that her Lorenz had slightly better charm, however it's impossible for me to definitively say whether her better result was due to that, or to the weaker opponents (I assume both Caspar and Dedue are pretty much the lowest charm units in their respective houses). It could also be both factors contribute.

19 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

One time I got the two gentle bois - Ashe and Ignatz - and they had to go against Dorothea from my house.

Reveal hidden contents

Hubert told her about his and Edelgard's plans to turn against the church.

She's in on the plan.

She's giving favor to the Black Eagles so that no one will suspect a thing.

Don't trust Shamir.

lmao

That's assuming Black Eagles have Byleth's favor aka Crimson Flower or Silver Snow route.

On topic: I was Golden Deer and Petra represented us against Ashe and Dorothea (fitting all things considered). Manuela chose... one of the other two houses while Alois and Shamir chose Petra. 

Shamir: "The way you carried yourself was striking."

Petra: "Everywhere dancing is dancing, this is the proof."

Idk why but I love that line from Petra when she won.☺️

18 hours ago, Sid Starkiller said:

Do you really blame her, though? I mean, it's Dorothea for God's sake.

Not really. Dorothea is "canonically" the best one most likely.

it's random. sort of? It depends a lot on how many characters you have recruited from the other two houses before the competition.

I had an interesting experience during my GD run. I wanted to make Linhardt as my dancer, but despite having 13 pts of charm which allegedly was the required amount to win, he couldn't win no matter how many times I soft reseted before giving up. For BE, Dorothea was the contestant ever single time. for BL it was Ashe and one time Dedue which made no sense. For the judging, there was only one time where my Linhardt got a vote.

I had a couple save files where I could re-do the dancing cup with another competitor. I chose Flayn. Once again the BE contestant was Dorothea and the BL contestant was Felix this time. My Flayn won first time.

I've seen a screencap on twitter once where if, you recruit all the students from the other two houses on whatever route you are doing, the three Lords will be the dancing competitors. Although I guess you have to pick the Lord as the dancing contestant of whatever house you are in.

doing a BL run now on a NG+ file, and just started ch.9. I recruited Dorothea this time, who I will choose as my contestant. I have also recruited every other BE member except for Hubert. So I am gonna be curious who will be the BE dancing contestant haha. I also recruited all the GD crew except for Hilda, Igntaz and Leonie. SO it'll either be one of them or Claude

10 hours ago, Sid Starkiller said:

I meant because she's frigging awesome, but that too.

Good point. Dorothea is definitely one of the best characters in terms of characterization, imo. But that's another topic.

• 6 months later...