20 Changes I would have made to Shadows of Valentia

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I don't mind; but even if so, there's some degree of sense.

It probably stems that Duma was changed, or clarified, to be a dragon currently in the middle of the degeneration process. It wouldn't surprise me if the witches being like they are was more a byproduct of that than being the standard, or even intended, result. The writers also changed Nuibaba to now be a witch that kept her free will; and the only difference is that she instead sold her soul to Medusa, not Duma. Not being a dragon, Medusa didn't had that degeneration problem.

Like I said, makes sense to me. Perhaps if Duma wasn't made to be like so, the witches wouldn't likewise be changed to accomodate for that.

Degenerated Dragons were non sentient beings in the original games, I suppose you could say that Duma is in the midst of it, but its still faintly reminiscent of a retcon.

Then how come they didn't emphasize many of the minor Arcanists and cantors were, when they had the same zombie-like dialogue that Marla, Hestia and Medeus's sacrifices had?

And  the writers do depict Nuibaba as a victim too in the accompanying Art Book.

7 hours ago, Jotari said:

As opposed to what they actually do, which was to reward him handsomely and give him an entire fortress right beside the capital to defend, making him one of the most vital pieces of Rigel's home base. Keeping a traitor and arms length and sending to the front lines to make a win win either way would be far smarter than entrusting them with a massive amount of authority that continues late into the war when a betrayal would be far more devastating. Of course Rudolf actually wanted to lose the war, so maybe that was fully intentional and Slayde was expected to betray Rigel but didn't.

...after he proved himself useful with his information. Besides, he wasn't the only commander at the Last Bastion (he isn't even marked as a boss!), so it wasn't necessarily total trust even then.

In Act 3, it's unreasonable for them to send him to the front lines against his former allies, because he defected a matter of days beforehand, as opposed to Act 4, when he's had an entire season (canonically 90 days or something - that's in the Valentia Accordion) of providing good intel.

12 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

And I'm still clear that the new lore of all Witches being soulless victims was unnecessary.

And kind of inconsistent. Why happened to Celica? Did Mila steal her soul back from Duma? Did she "heal" the soullessness? Did she make a new soul for Celica? What even is a soul in this setting?

9 hours ago, Seafarer said:

...after he proved himself useful with his information. Besides, he wasn't the only commander at the Last Bastion (he isn't even marked as a boss!), so it wasn't necessarily total trust even then.

In Act 3, it's unreasonable for them to send him to the front lines against his former allies, because he defected a matter of days beforehand, as opposed to Act 4, when he's had an entire season (canonically 90 days or something - that's in the Valentia Accordion) of providing good intel.

He'd been fighting against the deliverance for most of the war at this point. It wasn't a case that he was fighting against Rigel one day and for them the next. He'd been their allies for months if not years and worked directly under the person who gave half of Sofia over to Rigel, who in the current canon is still alive and actively fighting against the deliverance.

8 minutes ago, Jotari said:

And kind of inconsistent. Why happened to Celica? Did Mila steal her soul back from Duma? Did she "heal" the soullessness? Did she make a new soul for Celica? What even is a soul in this setting?

Very good question, I'd assume her soul was somehow returned by Mila but its not explained?

What do you think of Knights gaining one move and Baron's gaining two move upon promotion, thus experimenting by giving them normal infantry movement similar to how Archers cab always attack from 1 range for the first and only time in the series? 

Maybe not explained; but it's not hard to infer and deduce.

The game shows cases where witches seemingly recover their souls when fatally struck. Same thing happened to Celica. Consider Mila herself said she used up her power to restore her, then remember that the Revival Springs are a thing. Mila has some degree of control of life (making/keeping Zofia lush and green, for example), it's not out of whole reason that the springs are also thanks to her power. So simply, Mila quickly used her powers the moment Celica recovered her soul; but her body wasn't fully dead, or outright revived her.

Alternatively, or concurrently, since Celica is part of the line that Mila blood-dinded to, that connection also played a hand.

7 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Am I alone in wanting to try normal love armored knights for just one game?

I think it could also let them fit as the offensive all attack role in lieu of the absent Fighters. They could even expand on that by having Barons be able to use axe drops as a secondary ability.

Certainly wouldn't object to it.  Armours are quite outclassed in this game, which is funny as the low enemy density arena style maps should theoretically work in their favor. Along with combat skills that make doublibng less critical for dealing damage. Armours really have everything in their favor in Shadows of Valentia yet somehow still manage to come in last. Maybe they just need a massive boost to stats.

Edited by Jotari

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

Certainly wouldn't object to it.  Armours are quite outclassed in this game, which is funny as the low enemy density arena style maps should theoretically work in their favor. Along with combat skills that make doublibng less critical for dealing damage. Armours really have everything in their favor in Shadows of Valentia yet somehow still manage to come in last. Maybe they just need a massive boost to stats.

Meant to say Normal Move, basically an experiment like Archers alwayds being able to attack at 1 range.

Actually Armors are much worse in the remake because:

* The removal of the Speed Ring giving 5 movement, thus giving Baron/General characters something(everyone else wanted weapons).

* Warp having unlimited range was removed.

* Most Characters having low strength and defense, thus giving a little bit of reason for Barons/Generals. In the original Saber was basically the only person with actual reliable defense growth.

* Gradivus and Sol not having their damage decreased while their weight was increased.

* Valbar's speed growth is also slightly lower with Baron's having a -5 speed to their class growth.

Also halve damage from bows really needs to go as its utterly worthless. What would actually help is +5 defense and halve damage from Lances/Monster claws. Or old school pavise.

Edited by Emperor Hardin