Sign in to follow this  
dragonlordsd

Tokyo Mirage Sessions will supposedly NOT be censored for Switch

i doubt this will sell the game to those who haven't already bought it

maybe a few hardcore censorship haters will be happy i guess

40 minutes ago, Yexin said:

i doubt this will sell the game to those who haven't already bought it

maybe a few hardcore censorship haters will be happy i guess

Normally I would agree with you but this is a case where I think the "localization" really went too far. The game is very Japanese in nature, and they even went so far as to not dub it in English for "authenticity," yet they took everything else Japanese out of it and made a bunch of changes that would only serve to piss off the kind of people they should be aiming the game at in the first place. There was a lot more uproar over the changes in this than in, say, Fates.

So if it does come uncensored (which is not confirmed, btw), I believe that really will help its sales.

I might actually buy this now. I'm not the kind to cry "reeeeeeee, censorship", but I've heard bad things about this game because of the localization changes

12 minutes ago, redlight said:

I might actually buy this now. I'm not the kind to cry "reeeeeeee, censorship", but I've heard bad things about this game because of the localization changes

It was somewhat jarring if you could understand spoken Japanese (luckily, that's not my forte).

Wouldn't mind if one of the costume changes became DLC, though.

Spoiler

Tsubasa's T-shirt design instead of the swimsuit.  I thought it was cute.

I don't really mind the changes, as long as we aren't talking things like:

• Persona 1 PS1 changes which remove almost all Japanese to make the game American
  • SNES alcohol to coffee, Holy to Pearl, suicide to perking oneself up, and gods to super-beings 
  • Something incomplete like Skies of Arcadia getting rid of Glider's cigar but leaving his victory pose where he takes a puff unchanged
  • Or Shadow Dragon's removal of the Knorda slave market (but if they tone down Pan and Tina in a Thracia 776 remake that would be agreeable)

Beyond those, I don't mind them adding fabric to costumes. That is the majority of the "criticism", is it not?

58 minutes ago, MMXZero said:

>Kiriya's outfit is still censored

Find my treatise on zipper panties.  Then I'll tell you why you're wrong.

The only stuff I definitely feel should be de-censored is Tsubasa's wedding dress. That one was beyond stupid.

I get the feeling these schlubs are going to be highly disappointed. Plus considering there wasn't that much altered it's overdramatic to say the least.

I do wonder why the changes were made in the first place. It's not even G-rated in Japan in the first place, and other Atlus games - especially Rise Kujikawa in Persona 4 and its Dancing All Night spinoff, and also some of the stuff for P5 Dancing in Starlight - had stuff that were just as sexual, yet uncensored during localisation and were similarly teen/mature-rated.

Edited by henrymidfields

On 9/9/2019 at 11:26 AM, Aiddon said:

I get the feeling these schlubs are going to be highly disappointed. Plus considering there wasn't that much altered it's overdramatic to say the least.

An entire dungeon's premise was censored.  Yeah, it was a big deal.

On 9/9/2019 at 4:26 PM, Aiddon said:

There was a lot censored.

As Eclipse said, Chapter 2's plot was heavily altered to make it more "child friendly."

A piece of DLC content (hot springs DLC) was removed entirely in the English version.

Some costumes are not buyable on the English version (mainly swimsuits), and some mirage designs were altered too.

Dialogue was heavily altered from Japanese to English, and some of them forces some questionable changes in character personality:

In Ch 2, the Japanese version has Tsubasa heavily nervous about being in a swimsuit for modeling, and Touma wants to go to the photo shoot to see sexy girls. In the English version, Touma wants to go entirely for Tsubasa, as she is still nervous, but her nerves are so strong that she crashes into a pole and apologized to it.