Tokyo Mirage Sessions will supposedly NOT be censored for Switch

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, Yexin said:

i doubt this will sell the game to those who haven't already bought it

maybe a few hardcore censorship haters will be happy i guess

Normally I would agree with you but this is a case where I think the "localization" really went too far. The game is very Japanese in nature, and they even went so far as to not dub it in English for "authenticity," yet they took everything else Japanese out of it and made a bunch of changes that would only serve to piss off the kind of people they should be aiming the game at in the first place. There was a lot more uproar over the changes in this than in, say, Fates.

So if it does come uncensored (which is not confirmed, btw), I believe that really will help its sales.

12 minutes ago, redlight said:

I might actually buy this now. I'm not the kind to cry "reeeeeeee, censorship", but I've heard bad things about this game because of the localization changes

It was somewhat jarring if you could understand spoken Japanese (luckily, that's not my forte).

Wouldn't mind if one of the costume changes became DLC, though.

Spoiler

Tsubasa's T-shirt design instead of the swimsuit.  I thought it was cute.

I don't really mind the changes, as long as we aren't talking things like:

• Persona 1 PS1 changes which remove almost all Japanese to make the game American
  • SNES alcohol to coffee, Holy to Pearl, suicide to perking oneself up, and gods to super-beings 
  • Something incomplete like Skies of Arcadia getting rid of Glider's cigar but leaving his victory pose where he takes a puff unchanged
  • Or Shadow Dragon's removal of the Knorda slave market (but if they tone down Pan and Tina in a Thracia 776 remake that would be agreeable)

Beyond those, I don't mind them adding fabric to costumes. That is the majority of the "criticism", is it not?

I do wonder why the changes were made in the first place. It's not even G-rated in Japan in the first place, and other Atlus games - especially Rise Kujikawa in Persona 4 and its Dancing All Night spinoff, and also some of the stuff for P5 Dancing in Starlight - had stuff that were just as sexual, yet uncensored during localisation and were similarly teen/mature-rated.

Edited by henrymidfields

On 9/9/2019 at 11:26 AM, Aiddon said:

I get the feeling these schlubs are going to be highly disappointed. Plus considering there wasn't that much altered it's overdramatic to say the least.

An entire dungeon's premise was censored.  Yeah, it was a big deal.

On 9/9/2019 at 4:26 PM, Aiddon said:

I get the feeling these schlubs are going to be highly disappointed. Plus considering there wasn't that much altered it's overdramatic to say the least.

There was a lot censored.

As Eclipse said, Chapter 2's plot was heavily altered to make it more "child friendly."

A piece of DLC content (hot springs DLC) was removed entirely in the English version.

Some costumes are not buyable on the English version (mainly swimsuits), and some mirage designs were altered too.

Dialogue was heavily altered from Japanese to English, and some of them forces some questionable changes in character personality:

In Ch 2, the Japanese version has Tsubasa heavily nervous about being in a swimsuit for modeling, and Touma wants to go to the photo shoot to see sexy girls. In the English version, Touma wants to go entirely for Tsubasa, as she is still nervous, but her nerves are so strong that she crashes into a pole and apologized to it. 

On 9/13/2019 at 9:29 AM, HeroMystic said:

There was a lot censored.

As Eclipse said, Chapter 2's plot was heavily altered to make it more "child friendly."

A piece of DLC content (hot springs DLC) was removed entirely in the English version.

Some costumes are not buyable on the English version (mainly swimsuits), and some mirage designs were altered too.

Dialogue was heavily altered from Japanese to English, and some of them forces some questionable changes in character personality:

In Ch 2, the Japanese version has Tsubasa heavily nervous about being in a swimsuit for modeling, and Touma wants to go to the photo shoot to see sexy girls. In the English version, Touma wants to go entirely for Tsubasa, as she is still nervous, but her nerves are so strong that she crashes into a pole and apologized to it. 

Uh, most of that wasn't removed to make it "child friendly" a lot of what you just listed was removed because a lot of the characters are high school students. You don't sexualize minors as it's freaking creepy (even in Japan).

And this is the most that changed with chapter two: Maiko went from a gravure idol to a fashion model and Tsubasa went from overcoming shyness at showing skin to overcoming stage fright in general. The overarching theme isn't really changed that much as the fanservicey part is basically irrelevant; you can get that theme across without all the cheesecake.

7 hours ago, Aiddon said:

Uh, most of that wasn't removed to make it "child friendly" a lot of what you just listed was removed because a lot of the characters are high school students. You don't sexualize minors as it's freaking creepy (even in Japan).

And this is the most that changed with chapter two: Maiko went from a gravure idol to a fashion model and Tsubasa went from overcoming shyness at showing skin to overcoming stage fright in general. The overarching theme isn't really changed that much as the fanservicey part is basically irrelevant; you can get that theme across without all the cheesecake.

*checks gender*

Yeah, it's a bit more of a big deal.  I, for one, don't mind taking a picture in my regular clothes.  A swimsuit is another issue entirely.

15 hours ago, Aiddon said:

This reminds me how Tsubasa was aged up to qualify as an adult for most of the world. So even now being an adult in the localized version, that part still got changed. I find it somewhat amusing, to be honest.

18 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

This reminds me how Tsubasa was aged up to qualify as an adult for most of the world. So even now being an adult in the localized version, that part still got changed. I find it somewhat amusing, to be honest.

this is a kind of censorship i'll never understand

almost anyone can use internet nowadays and read that most japanese idols (whose fans are generally not children, but grown men) are underage (sometimes even 12), because they'll move to something considered as "more serious" later, and generally because an idol's career doesn't last very long

i find this attempt to hide reality incredibly stupid and a symptom of great fear towards what people might think about one of japan's controversial topics 

Edited by Yexin

10 hours ago, Yexin said:

almost anyone can use internet nowadays and read that most japanese idols (whose fans are generally not children, but grown men) are underage (sometimes even 12), because they'll move to something considered as "more serious" later, and generally because an idol's career doesn't last very long

i find this attempt to hide reality incredibly stupid and a symptom of great fear towards what people might think about one of japan's controversial topics 

It was speculated that this had to do with child labor laws or something.  I'm not familiar enough with international law to say whether or not this was the case.

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

It was speculated that this had to do with child labor laws or something.  I'm not familiar enough with international law to say whether or not this was the case.

Kinda weird when you think about it

Fictional characters have to abide by real world laws in a fantasy setting. 

On 9/18/2019 at 8:13 PM, Yexin said:

Probably better not tell them about Rise Kujikawa from Persona 4 and especially her and Kanami Mashita in the Dancing All Night sequel then...

Edited by henrymidfields

• 3 weeks later...

Youtube was kind enough to let me know that Censored Gaming just put out a new video reporting that the official Japanese website for the game has changed one of the screenshots of Tsubasa on the page (fourth screenshot from the left, excluding the video) to use her English outfit instead of her Japanese outfit.

So, yeah. I'm not liking the look of where this is going. It was already fishy enough when the Japanese Nintendo Direct used the English version of Aversa despite all of the game's language settings being in Japanese in both versions of the Nintendo Direct.

Official Japanese website here: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/switch/asa4a/
Archived version of the official Japanese website from a month ago here: https://web.archive.org/web/20190906143039/https://www.nintendo.co.jp/switch/asa4a/

(Links courtesy of Censored Gaming's video's description.)

9 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Youtube was kind enough to let me know that Censored Gaming just put out a new video reporting that the official Japanese website for the game has changed one of the screenshots of Tsubasa on the page (fourth screenshot from the left, excluding the video) to use her English outfit instead of her Japanese outfit.

So, yeah. I'm not liking the look of where this is going. It was already fishy enough when the Japanese Nintendo Direct used the English version of Aversa despite all of the game's language settings being in Japanese in both versions of the Nintendo Direct.

Official Japanese website here: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/switch/asa4a/
Archived version of the official Japanese website from a month ago here: https://web.archive.org/web/20190906143039/https://www.nintendo.co.jp/switch/asa4a/

(Links courtesy of Censored Gaming's video's description.)

It would be the outfit that made the least sense to censor, too.  Why does this not surprise me.