Tokyo Mirage Sessions will supposedly NOT be censored for Switch

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Sentinel07 said:

Well, suffice to say I'm going to be very curious to see the Japanese fanbase's reaction that even they're getting the butchered version now.

Frankly, it'd be ironic justice if the Switch port actually sold worse than the Wii U version.

If the 2ch thread is anything to go by, they're just as unhappy as the rest of us.

Posts 264 and 265 both reflect my thoughts pretty accurately (paraphrased):

"Maybe they didn't think it would sell in Japan, so they just cut costs by using the overseas version."

"If they keep this up, it won't sell anymore."

Nintendo has posted an official apology for the confusion on their main site (https://www.nintendo.co.jp/support/information/2019/1018.html) and is offering refunds on pre-orders.

If I'm reading the apology correctly, they are citing the intent of a simultaneous global release of the game as the reason for using the European version of the game as the base. Which pretty much implies that they have zero intention of going back to using the Japanese release.

As best as I can tell, they're basically trying to cut costs by releasing only one version of the game, and using the base version that has the most languages already translated saves them from needing to re-translate the entire script.

R.I.P. TMS#FE Encore.

The more I think of this, the more disappointed in their decision I become.

Based on the evidence, it's pretty clear to me that they're trying to cut costs on this release as much as possible by using the version with the most available languages already translated as the base version rather than respecting the fans and going the extra mile to do the reverse. No amount of brand new content really makes up for what is clearly laziness on their behalf.

Beyond being lazy, this decision also makes it clear that they are also out of touch with the current climate of the gaming community and its stance on censorship. (Major props to Omega Labyrinth Life and their trailer passive-aggressively ridiculing Sony's current censorship policies.)

It just looks to me like they're just trying to go for a quick cash grab, and I find that insulting to the original work and to its fans.

I've been skimming the 2ch thread, and there was an interesting recent comment that read along the lines of "Do you think they waited until Friday to make the apology so that the press wouldn't have time to write articles on this?" (Post 538) And I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case.

I'm hoping there are enough outlets that will report on this regardless such that it doesn't get forgotten with all the other crap happening in the industry. (I've already seen two YouTube channels on my recommendations cover this.) I'm also hoping that fans put enough pressure on Nintendo and the developers to get them to reconsider, but I'm certainly not holding my breath.

I wouldn't mind if they pushed back the release to address these concerns. "A delayed game is eventually good. A bad game is bad forever."

26 minutes ago, MMXZero said:

False advertising the game.

It was already pretty clear from the reveal trailer due to Aversa's boob fog. That was an immediate red flag for me.

I think by this point they've alienated just about every audience out there.

Most Fire Emblem and SMT fans jumped off the train upon reveal. The censorship pissed off core gamers, while leaving it undubbed left it unlikely for casuals to get interested. And now they've probably pissed off the Japanese fanbase with this latest decision.

You know, I can't help but wonder if Nintendo is internally ashamed of this game or something. Even compared to some of the other things they've done, TMS's whole cycle from start to finish has been weird.

This is really dissappointing. I can handle some changes made in localization, but this game is one where I feel the changes made negatively affects the game and lowers the overall quality. Even if you didn't know about there being any changes to the localized version you still might notice that something is off, as the changes are so inconsistent and sloppily edited. It makes no sense either if you view the game next to other games with the same age ratings released recently. The baffling management of this game will forever be a mystery.

Doing this to "cut cost" makes no sense, since they are going to fully translate this game in French (and potentially other European language). (and couldn't they use the original version, but changing the text to age the characters? Like in FE Blazing Sword)

Even for a quick cash grab, I don't think it would make a major difference in sales all things considered. (Unless it would makes it Pegi16 or something without the changes.)

16 hours ago, Sentinel07 said:

And now they've probably pissed off the Japanese fanbase with this latest decision.

So much so that the Japanese are buying the original version in droves, rather than wait for the remaster.

On 10/19/2019 at 9:10 AM, Tamanoir said:

Doing this to "cut cost" makes no sense, since they are going to fully translate this game in French (and potentially other European language). (and couldn't they use the original version, but changing the text to age the characters? Like in FE Blazing Sword)

Even for a quick cash grab, I don't think it would make a major difference in sales all things considered. (Unless it would makes it Pegi16 or something without the changes.)

1. Translating the game into French and Chinese is already planned, so that makes no difference. Using the European version as the base means that they don't have to redo the Japanese to English translation, which is almost certainly more expensive than the others (English to French and Japanese to Chinese), and not having to redo the English translation also means that they can start on the French translation earlier since they won't be waiting on the English translation to finish.
  2. The localization differences in the script are much, much larger than just changing character ages. You can do a quick Google search to see just how much of the script was changed.

I do question Nintendo's wisdom here, considering Persona 4: Dancing All Night's apparent lack of censorship, and the fact that the game is already M15 in Australia anyway (and in most other places too), and with fanservice that is generally more appropriate to the setting than, say, FE Fates.

In saying this:

Eh, it's nowhere near dealbreaking enough for me, and I haven't changed my decision to get the game. I mean...really? It's just one small aspect of a game out of several at least. Besides, who says that the script/story in all of the languages (yes, this includes editing the Japanese version) cannot be further edited (as well as expanded) in Encore to flow and fit better together? Actually, do we even know how much of the story will be changed/expanded?? If changes in the story between different versions was a debilitating problem, then Persona 4 Golden re-release would not have done as well as it should, and Persona 5 Royal previews wouldn't be well-received either. (I for one didn't have a problem with Marie in P4G, and I actually wish P5R's fixes up one of the biggest missed plot-writing opportunities in the original version: ie involve Naoto and maybe Mitsuru in the story...)

Edited by henrymidfields

56 minutes ago, henrymidfields said:

I do question Nintendo's wisdom here, considering Persona 4: Dancing All Night's apparent lack of censorship, and the fact that the game is already M15 in Australia anyway (and in most other places too), and with fanservice that is generally more appropriate to the setting than, say, FE Fates.

Well, P4:DAN is all Atlus, no? Nitendo likely didn't felt as needing to dictate. Which is quite different with TMS, as having FE in it, Nintendo will watch more closely. IIRC, it was them who told Atlus to make the changes for the overseas version back in the original Wii U release.

56 minutes ago, henrymidfields said:

In saying this:

Eh, it's nowhere near dealbreaking enough for me, and I haven't changed my decision to get the game. I mean...really? It's just one small aspect of a game out of several at least. Besides, who says that the script/story in all of the languages (yes, this includes editing the Japanese version) cannot be further edited (as well as expanded) in Encore to flow and fit better together? Actually, do we even know how much of the story will be changed/expanded?? If changes in the story between different versions was a debilitating problem, then Persona 4 Golden re-release would not have done as well as it should, and Persona 5 Royal previews wouldn't be well-received either. (I for one didn't have a problem with Marie in P4G, and I actually wish P5R's fixes up one of the biggest missed plot-writing opportunities in the original version: ie involve Naoto and maybe Mitsuru in the story...)

People aren't complaining of the story changes. Not by itself, at least. The complains are censorship being the reason... and only for the changes that it applies to. It's more than just story changes, too. It's that and not the other changes/additions, that people aren't happy they're being kept for the Encore version, even to the Japanese, who didn't had to face the censorship the first time around; but it's now being imposed on them too.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

24 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, P4:DAN is all Atlus, no? Nitendo likely didn't felt as needing to dictate. Which is quite different with TMS, as having FE in it, Nintendo will watch more closely. IIRC, it was them who told Atlus to make the changes for the overseas version back in the original Wii U release.

People aren't complaining of the story changes. Not by itself, at least. The complains are censorship being the reason... and only for the changes that it applies to. Those are the ones people aren't happy they're being kept for the Encore version, even to the Japanese, who didn't had to face the censorship the first time around; but it's now being imposed on them too.

So it's not even Atlus's fault (P4DAN is Playstation, btw), and it's not even about the story being "butchered" then. Okay...well, that just made me consider this as an even bigger nontroversy. Even the hoo-ha around Catherine Full Body's so-called "unfortunate implications" ending have more understandable grounds for concern than this.

Edited by henrymidfields

34 minutes ago, henrymidfields said:

So it's not even Atlus's fault (P4DAN is Playstation, btw), and it's not even about the story being "butchered" then. Okay...well, that just made me consider this as an even bigger nontroversy. Even the hoo-ha around Catherine Full Body's so-called "unfortunate implications" ending have more understandable grounds for concern than this.

The second dungeon will be different in the Japanese version now. We also don't know how the new content will be applied in Encore. Since they're only adding one song I wouldn't expect Persona levels of change to the base game or story. 

34 minutes ago, MMXZero said:

The second dungeon will be different in the Japanese version now.

So, basically the same as the version I previously played. Yeah, no worries.

34 minutes ago, MMXZero said:

We also don't know how the new content will be applied in Encore. Since they're only adding one song I wouldn't expect Persona levels of change to the base game or story. 

More unknowns, and more reasons for us to wait and see instead of whinging about it now. I for one might as well say, "Bring it on!"

Edited by henrymidfields

32 minutes ago, henrymidfields said:

So, basically the same as the version I previously played. Yeah, no worries.

More unknowns, and more reasons for us to wait and see instead of whinging about it now. I for one might as well say, "Bring it on!"

No worries for you, but to the Japanese people having their culture shamed it is.

And again, I wouldn't expect anything past the one new song they announced. 

23 minutes ago, MMXZero said:

And again, I wouldn't expect anything past the one new song they announced. 

Again, any proof? Unless if there is any concrete announcement, I'm still declaring your opinion as an unknown.

Edited by henrymidfields

1 hour ago, henrymidfields said:

Again, any proof? Unless if there is any concrete announcement, I'm still declaring your opinion as an unknown.

They would have shown it if it was something substantial. During the announcement they showed the 3 playable characters, bits of the new song and two new costumes for Kiria and Tsubasa from the new song. Again, I don't think Nintendo is hiding any major surprises.