Tokyo Mirage Sessions will supposedly NOT be censored for Switch

33 minutes ago, MMXZero said:

They would have shown it if it was something substantial. During the announcement they showed the 3 playable characters, bits of the new song and two new costumes for Kiria and Tsubasa from the new song. Again, I don't think Nintendo is hiding any major surprises.

Again, as you previously said, question is how they are going to be involved with the game in general, and the story in particular - I mean, surely they have to accommodate it somehow. Also, I think Atlus (who is the one making the game) generally have a (half-unwritten) policy of concealing the story - to the point that they ask Youtubers not to stream LP's for P4G and P5 for the first few weeks after release. Besides absence of evidence isn't the other way around.

If you're not looking forward to the game, fair enough. Do I prefer the censorship? Not really - I don't disagree with that. But will I throw a hissy fit about it? At least, No, and at most, not until I get more info. And if that cannot be agreed to, well I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree here.

Edited by henrymidfields

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm... I'm unfamiliar with the game, so feel free to correct me. I remember people pointing out evidence of the unreleased hot spring DLC content in Encore, but I forget if it was in the trailer or the website screenshots. If it was in the screenshots, are those screenshots still there? Even if the costume changes are still present, I was wondering if it was at least possible the unreleased DLC could still be localized. It would be weird if a "definitive edition" actually ended up missing significant paid DLC content from the original game just because they were too lazy or scared to translate it for the original international version.

Somewhat related—the whole situation reminds me of Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition where it was technically missing pre-order DLC costumes from the PS3 version (maybe there's some PSN policy about devaluing pre-order bonuses?) and some iDOLM@STER costumes since their license expired. Losing some costumes doesn't really compare to potentially losing an entire paid DLC side story, though.

13 hours ago, LucarioGamer812 said:

I haven't commented on this, but regardless of whatever happens to the content, as long as the core content of the game and majority of the side content isn't affected I'm still getting this as it will be the first time I can play it.

Yeah, I've got my fingers crossed too. I've only played the first chapter and a little bit of the second (as I was playing this at a friend's house), but it was such a blast immersing myself into Tokyo. In fact, this led me to check out other games from Atlus, and resulted in me being a fan for Persona 4 (and onto 3 and others).

Actually, you know what? Let's just see if this results in better-suited scenes for the possibly updated story.

Edited by henrymidfields

On 10/23/2019 at 2:48 AM, LucarioGamer812 said:

I haven't commented on this, but regardless of whatever happens to the content, as long as the core content of the game and majority of the side content isn't affected I'm still getting this as it will be the first time I can play it.

i mean tms is basically Fanservice: The Game ft/ Quite Good Battle System

if you take the fanservice aspect from the game, then what's left? the battle system? is that alone a good reason to buy the game?

Edited by Yexin

6 hours ago, Yexin said:

if you take the fanservice aspect from the game, then what's left? the battle system? is that alone a good reason to buy the game?

You know we're not forced to play this game, right? And that we don't even know how much extra content or changes there would be until release day? Not to mention what you described it is essentially Conquest Fates without the story going into a complete air crash.

Edited by henrymidfields

9 hours ago, Yexin said:

I play for the battle system, not for the fanservice.  I don't know how many others take this approach.  But if they do, then yes, it's well worth it.

IMO the biggest issue will be the story changes.

5 hours ago, eclipse said:

I play for the battle system, not for the fanservice.  I don't know how many others take this approach.  But if they do, then yes, it's well worth it.

IMO the biggest issue will be the story changes.

Here's the problem though: If you're only playing for the battle system then you're probably better off just playing Persona or SMT. Even P5 Scramble looks to be incorporating some of the JRPG elements from the series. 

As far as story changes go I'm only expecting chapter 2 to be changed. Nintendo isn't advertising TMS the same way as Atlus are with Persona 5 Royal. 

15 hours ago, MMXZero said:

Here's the problem though: If you're only playing for the battle system then you're probably better off just playing Persona or SMT. Even P5 Scramble looks to be incorporating some of the JRPG elements from the series. 

Not all of us are fans with the grimdark and grotesque stuff of the SMT games - as good as I am sure the games are. I for one still can't stomach the dicey stuff from those games. Even Persona 3-4 needed some getting used to when I first checked on it after playing TMSFE.

Also remind me why did the majority of us we even play Fates Conquest which had a story that resembled a multi-vehicle pile up from Burnout unlike the majority of Atlus games (and yes, including TMSFE)?

Edited by henrymidfields

11 hours ago, MMXZero said:

As far as story changes go I'm only expecting chapter 2 to be changed. Nintendo isn't advertising TMS the same way as Atlus are with Persona 5 Royal. 

I have one SMT game under my belt, and that's enough.  Unless Persona'a battle system is drastically different from SMT, it's not much of a comparison.

But to understand why I think this way. you'd have to understand why I find TMS so fun.

On 10/29/2019 at 5:19 PM, eclipse said:

I have one SMT game under my belt, and that's enough.  Unless Persona'a battle system is drastically different from SMT, it's not much of a comparison.

But to understand why I think this way. you'd have to understand why I find TMS so fun.

SMT and Persona are completely different games, so it kinda depends on which game you played.  

On 10/31/2019 at 9:34 AM, MMXZero said:

SMT and Persona are completely different games, so it kinda depends on which game you played.  

SMT 4 and part of Apocalypse.  The free turns were nice, at least.

It's just some costumes. All that this controversy is telling me is that one of the game's main selling points is the characters looking sexy, which makes me significantly less enthusiastic about it regardless of whether it's censored or not.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I mean I actually was glad about the censorship because my mum sometimes watches me play video games and it got me out of a lot of awkward situations but the painted skin for the song Fly? That was just disgusting and weird. I wouldn't mind the censorship being removed just so that Tsubasa won't have that whack looking painted skin.