Canon Byleth (or, which gender do you prefer?)

Jotari

Which Bleyth?  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Which Bleyth?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, timon said:

Hell, the fact that Byleth is the player makes me think even less of fanservice, it's not like you can interact with her as a character.

ehhhh I'd argue the opposite cause I dunno about you(or anyone else for that matter) but usually whenever I play a video game that allows me to play as a male or female character, 9 times out of 10 I'm gonna go with the female option and there is one primary reason for that. If this is the character I'm gonna be looking at for the entirety of the game, I'd rather it be a cute anime waifu than the male option(M!Robin being the only exception to this rule). Yeah, I know I'm a degenerate

7 hours ago, Holla99 said:

I prefer Female Byleth but only just barely. Male Byleth isn't too bad either but I feel rather meh about both designs.

Like most people I really dislike Female Byleth's outfit. I can't shake the fact that a mercenary would have exposed skin like that. She's just asking to be stabbed by a sword or impaled by a lance right in the stomach. Sure she has some armor but what's the point if you leave large areas exposed anyways? It hasn't been too bad for me though as I mainly use the academy outfit instead.

I'm also not the biggest fan of her rather large assets. I know it's purely for fanservice reasons, but so many female characters get treated this way. Guess I'm pretty biased here as I have rather small assets personally which makes it harder for me to relate to her as a character. I do like her face and hair though, I know many people don't but I consider her to be fairly cute looking at least. 

As for male I don't care much for his outfit either though it's definitely better than female's. his face and hair are ok but I'm not the biggest fan for some reason.

So yeah my vote goes to female but only just slightly. In general though I'm not the biggest fan of either.

I think it the same reason all most all the guy have six packs and look like models no body want an average MC. Well that and there are guys and female who have muscles(males)'and big assets(females)

Female, but that's mainly because it's my own gender. I did mix things up in the other routes though.
Verdant Wind: Female. Byleth.
Azure Moon: Female. Violet
Crimson Flower: Male. Barret
Silver Snow: Male. Yvette

Female Byleth makes more sense in story considering Sothis is basically her reincarnation and Rhea call Byleth mother and all this stuff. As for design, I'm quite indiferent to both Byleth's, they look good but in a very generic way. 

Anyway it's balanced this time right? It's tied. 

1 minute ago, Mylady said:

Female Byleth makes more sense in story considering Sothis is basically her reincarnation and Rhea call Byleth mother and all this stuff. As for design, I'm quite indiferent to both Byleth's, they look good but in a very generic way. 

Anyway it's balanced this time right? It's tied. 

I mean, as others said, they were never meant to be a reincarnation it was just a moment of opportunity that a child born of sothis' clone and a seiros blooded knight needed a crest stone to live.

4 minutes ago, CyberNinja said:

I mean, as others said, they were never meant to be a reincarnation it was just a moment of opportunity that a child born of sothis' clone and a seiros blooded knight needed a crest stone to live.

Yes, that's why I said "basically" 😉. Byleth is a vessel but they share the same body  btw. I think the story of being vessel of Rhea's mother and plus being able to S rank all the lords fits more the female avatar.  

Regarding  their design female Byleth reminds me too much of Lucina. Male Byleth in their exclusive class looks a bit like Marth with that tiara. Considering that the feature of customizing avatar   was scrapped, I was expecting something more original. So  I'm quite indifferent towards their appareance. 

Oh, I've been waiting for this. I have some bile to spill.

I adore most of the features of this game. Gameplay, excluding the re-use of maps for optional shit, I really enjoy this game. The class system is fun, if a bit lopsided towards Wyverns. Music is fantastic. Hell, I went and bought me a Switch just for this game and I am not disappointed.

BUT!

I hate Byleth. Both versions.

I hate both of their designs but the female version slightly less so. Bylass has that stupid choker around her neck because... no idea. I'm actually not bothered by the midriff or the leggings but the cloak is god awful. Bylad is even worse. The hair is terrible. The entire outfit looks like a mess. And once again, the cloak (and especially the pointless sleeves) needs to go.

I hate the character entirely. Byleth feels entirely shoehorned into this game because IS decided a few years ago that avatars were a great idea and they should always exist. Robin gets a pass from me due to actually having a personality with flaws. Never played Fates so I can't comment on that. And then the "I have no emotions because I have no heartbeat because I need some arbitrary reason to be the main character so that we can pretend that our silent protagonist has a 'personality'" plot point is stupid and only brings down what really is a great political story between warring nations.

For a game that was trying so hard to ape FE4, it would have been nice if they had looked at Sigurd's character and said "hmm, now here we have a man with human flaws, this is a great template to start from" if Byleth is necessary. Personally, I think the story would be better without Byleth entirely.

Byleth is literally the only thing that keeps this game from being better than FE4 in my opinion. Which is a shame because the rest of FE3H is much better than its spiritual successor. That's how damning Byleth is to this game.

If I need to pick one, Bylass. She might look like a whore but it's still better than Bylad who might have one of the worst character designs I've ever seen in this franchise.

Edited by Life

Male Byleth hands down. I think its way more interesting to watch a male character become more emotional over the course of a story than a female one. You just don't get to see male characters emote strongly that often, and while I wouldn't say Byleth is emotional, I still think its a good character arc for a male character to have, even though it's independent of his gender. Also, he's just way more attractive in my opinion. And also-also.. M!Byleth and Dimitri is so obviously canon bait/endgame, even if its literally not. Still one of the biggest mistakes they've ever made. Dimitri is clearly in love with Byleth regardless of gender. Its Silas all over again.

3 hours ago, Mylady said:

Byleth is a vessel but they share the same body  btw. I think the story of being vessel of Rhea's mother and plus being able to S rank all the lords fits more the female avatar. 

I've joked with people saying that all Byleth had to do to prevent the whole conflict is scold Rhea. I think the idea of a man screaming "DAMMIT RHEA I AM YOUR MOTHER AND YOU WILL DO AS I SAY!" is just hilarious.

On 9/8/2019 at 8:31 PM, Jakkun said:

A lot of people are saying that Female makes more sense with them being Sothis' vessel and all, but Byleth was born their own being (albeit a vegetable) before the crest stone transfer happened.

Yeah, Byleth's gender has nothing to do with Sothis. It's funny though, because I assumed F!Byleth was canon from the beginning until learning the circumstances of their birth, which threw me into "both work".

On 9/8/2019 at 4:37 PM, CyberNinja said:

There is absolutely nothing I can say about her design that is flattering (and I don't mean on the subject of attractiveness either, she's like a caricature of oversexed characters like Camilla)

I really don't want to linger on this, but how could you say she's worse than Camilla? An exposed navel and tights are much better than that.

On 9/9/2019 at 1:03 AM, Ottservia said:

Byleth grew up as a mercenary with no female role model and it's not like Jeralt is forefront leader in fashion so I just kinda like to headcanon that Byleth just kinda saw what other women wore from her traveling as a mercenary and just kinda threw on whatever she thought looked nice

This is similar to my headcanon as well: she just didn't know any better (and neither did Jeralt). She just put on whatever she could get her hands on and went to work. While I wasn't a fan of her outfit before (and still think it's a bit silly), she's grown on me after I used her for two of my runs.

(Also, I think Manuela's outfit is worse than Byleth's too, but that's something for another time...

On 9/8/2019 at 5:31 PM, Sid Starkiller said:

Both should've had a NG+ option to take the jacket off, though.

...as is complaining about the inability to unequip both Byleth's jackets, but it's still an annoying choice to not have, dangit!

Edited by DefyingFates

59 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

I really don't want to linger on this, but how could you say she's worse than Camilla? An exposed navel and tights are much better than that.

I'm sorry but I'd much rather drop the part of this topic that ended with me flaming a mod. The administrator was more than reasonable and I'd prefer not to push my luck.

Edited by CyberNinja

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/12/2019 at 6:09 PM, Sid Starkiller said:

I've joked with people saying that all Byleth had to do to prevent the whole conflict is scold Rhea. I think the idea of a man screaming "DAMMIT RHEA I AM YOUR MOTHER AND YOU WILL DO AS I SAY!" is just hilarious.

😂😂 But you know... regardless of gender, it's very creepy and messed up if Byleth marries Rhea. She calls Byleth mother in the cutscenes lmao

Usually in games that have creation of a avatar or a main char even in name and said game has marriage mechanics I usually pick Male . However this has probably been one of the few I plan to play the oppersite gender each time I run though it .

I like both Male and female Byleth equally much to the same of my opinion of Male and Female Robin and Corrin . Both Male and Female byleth fit in the story to me as I feel the child could of easily been Male or female in the situation. Here is why I decided to play multiple play thoughts as Male and female 

I like Male byleth as I think his design is really cool . Male byleth can do a play though focusing on brawling and use them to their full potential unlike female (tomebreaker is very good as is war masters skill quick reposite ) which brawling is one of byleths perk stats it works quite nice 

Female byleth I would say also looks good . She is much easier to take advantage of the flying route of classes than a Male byleth due to Pegasus and falcon knight . Since you need sword at C rank for falcon this makes female byleths path to a flier much easier and since Pegasus is available for female chars level 10 it’s pretty easy to get to this class and also get the great skill darting blow . 

I wont be voting because I really do like both and don’t really have a favourite that stands out 

On 9/8/2019 at 12:10 AM, Jotari said:

That doesn't mean it's not a thing though.

On 9/8/2019 at 12:10 AM, Book Bro said:

I guess female Byleth because of their spoilery background. Also because female Byleth can have paired endings with all 3 lords and Rhea, while male Byleth can't with Claude or Dimitri. And, as the central conflict is between two female rulers, it fits to have the third key player of the war also be a woman.

But female Byleth's design is awful.

SO ur just gonna hate son her because her design is awful?

On 9/7/2019 at 10:19 PM, Jotari said:

So yeah, yeah, there's no canon  version to the Fire Emblem avatars. But at the same time, there kind of is. Male Robin gets more highlighted than female Robin while for Corrin (Smash Bros. aside) the opposite is true (and Kris wasn't considered popular enough to even deserve existence after their game). So which version of Byleth do you feel fits better? Personally I'm torn. I feel like the whole surgical reincarnation of a goddess seems to just fit better on female Bleyth (not that I object to gender bending on principal, I actively wish Naga maintained her Gender fluidity she was implied to have in the early games. It's just in this case with it being intentional done by Rea and all I feel a female baby would have been more suitable), but I definitely like the design of Male Byleth better, especially the alternate outfit that gives him a hat to hide his face slightly. And when it comes to these things, which design people find more appealing is basically the deciding factor. Anyway, which one do you find more appropriate for this story/which one looks cooler.

I think the outrealms that were the basis of the DLC of Fates and Awakening pretty much imply that all routes, genders, recruitments, deaths, and more are pretty much canon.

27 minutes ago, raptor9299 said:

I think the outrealms that were the basis of the DLC of Fates and Awakening pretty much imply that all routes, genders, recruitments, deaths, and more are pretty much canon.

I like to think that none of Fates is canon.

As in, some kind of multiverse shenanigans?

My general preference, as a roleplayer, is to primarily play male characters. I'll usually have a few female characters to diversify my selection in games in which I have a large character selection (like Guild Wars), but when given the choice, I generally prefer male characters. I connect with them more and find them more badass. And of course, in a game with romance options, I'm always going to lean towards the male player character to interact with the waifus.

As to how Byleth satisfies from that perspective... I find him a mixed bag. Great default outfit. Looks awesome. As a silent protagonist, he's surprisingly expressive and has gotten some genuine laughs out of me through appropriately timed facial expressions alone (see his B support with Manuela). My one major complaint is that his class outfits... are garbage. Not only does the black and pink color scheme not translate well to anything, but the Enlightened One outfit is outright ridiculous. I wish the canon Commoner look carried over to everything.

17 hours ago, raptor9299 said:

Well, there is currently no mention of outrealms in Three Houses.

And outrealms theory also doesn't apply to all the games,

for example, you could have Tiki died in FE10/11, but in canon Tiki would live regardless since she returns in Awakening.

BTW, I don't remember if someone brought up this yet. But in Silver Snow ending, Byleth was showed as a male on the mural...

Edited by Timlugia