Canon Byleth (or, which gender do you prefer?)

Jotari

Which Bleyth?  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Which Bleyth?

I don't believe in any outrealm do we ever see the existence of an opposite gender Avatar. The closest would be the twin Morgan's in Future Past. So beyond the supposed notion of the multiverse and that outrealms mean literally anything is possible, the outrealms do t actually lead any credence to the idea that both genders are canon (not that you even need the outrealm to make that claim as you can just make it independently as both genders do literally exist in two separate canons).

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/9/2019 at 9:58 AM, zuibangde said:

I think it was because the majority of the poll takers were females. If I remember correctly, it was around 65% females so it's expected for F!Byleth to be 'more popular'.

In addition to that, there are definitely straight male players that enjoy Byleth for her...assets. Pretty sure she has one of the biggest breasts out of all the female characters. This is sad to say but I have straight male friends in real life that preferred F!Byleth just because of her assets and the fact that she can S Support with other female characters (specifically Edelgard and Dorothea). So I suspect her popularity may partly be due to some superficial reasons...

But this by no means invalidade the poll, otherwise it could be argued that the west the rate of males is way higher so that's why male Byleth is more liked here. Fire Emblem in Japan is played majorly by women. 

I believe female Byleth is more popular overall because in Japan she is more liked, and in the west, like it can be observed in this poll and the reddit one, it's basically tied with male having a slight preference. Despite a vocal but strong minority bashing her outfit, the amount of votes point to the female Byleth. 

Particularly i like both, but fem Byleth can S support all lords and has a free unit, so i go with her. 

I just can't buy F!Byleth as a top flight mercenary when she's like 155 cm and 47 kg. And of course, half that weight is in her chest. Combine that with her ridiculous outfit and the whole character model comes off as pandering.

Edited by Boomhauer007

1 hour ago, Boomhauer007 said:

I just can't buy F!Byleth as a top flight mercenary when she's like 155 cm and 47 kg

... she's 164 cm, which is slightly above average for a woman.

(And while I agree that in this game, as in most Japanese media, the average woman is probably slightly skinnier than she should be, Byleth doesn't stand out in that regard. It's also quite possible to have a lean frame and still be a strong athlete/warrior/etc. anyway.)

Characters with crests are noted as being ridiculously strong through magic boosts without actually having the muscle to justify it. Dimitri is the the obvious example here - he's explicitly way stronger than Raphael is during the Academy phase despite not having any more visible muscle than anyone else.

I'm not much of a fan of Byleth's outfit either though. Like, who dressed her in that? It certainly wasn't Jeralt, and I can't imagine Byleth herself being interested in any clothing that isn't simply practical. She'd be dressed more like Shamir.

16 hours ago, Arachnofiend said:

I'm not much of a fan of Byleth's outfit either though. Like, who dressed her in that? It certainly wasn't Jeralt, and I can't imagine Byleth herself being interested in any clothing that isn't simply practical. She'd be dressed more like Shamir.

What if Jeralt has an horrible fashion sense and dressed Byleth with the most no sense clothes since she was a kid? And she inherited her father taste and doesn't give a fuck for what she wears. I find it hilarious.

Also if you note further, the clothes of female Byleth are very similar to Sothis outfit. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just replayed Verdant Wind, and I realized VW was probably written with Female Byleth in mind (just like how SS was male Byleth as explained above):

In Verdant Wind ending, you became the king of united Fodlan instead Claude, but he would only explains his decision (why not to take the throne) if you S support him as F!Byleth

That means you if played M!Byleth the game simply skipped the whole reason, and suddenly makes you a king.

You also get the re-emergence of the Slitherers (Claude just sends troops to combat Imperial remnants in other endings), though they promptly get defeated again.

Maybe those two getting married was especially bad for their plan B, for some reason. 

Edited by Crysta