Canon Byleth (or, which gender do you prefer?)

Jotari

Which Bleyth?  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Which Bleyth?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, CyberNinja said:

Well between the Cow and Male Byleth, I supposed I have no choice but to choose the Male Byleth

Could you not use terms like this, please? That's a phrase that many women would tell you is offensive and makes them uncomfortable. There's zero wrong with saying you prefer M Byleth, but please find a better way to say it.

Anyway I'm biased because I usually prefer female avatars over male, but I do prefer F Byleth overall. M Byleth just has this dead expression on his face too often, which I find jarring in someone that other characters are supposed to like and naturally vent their problems to (as they do in their supports with him/her). F Byleth keeps the "minimal emotions" thing to a level which is less offputting. And I like her stockings.

13 hours ago, Crysta said:

I think F!Byleth makes more sense as the vessel of a goddess/new goddess

An excellent point. Crappy outfit aside, I much prefer F!Avatar.

11 hours ago, Florete said:

I don't consider either to be canon, but female Byleth does feel like she makes more sense with the Sothis vessel thing.

My thoughts exactly. "Canon" is which one you pick in the game.

10 hours ago, xchickengirlx said:

If you are really into the S supports for the game, then F!Byleth has it the best I'd argue

Since she can S Support all three lords, while M!Byleth can only S support Edelgard since IS said f**k mlm rights by not making Claude and Dimitri bi options. F!Byleth can also S support Dorothea and Mercedes. It's hard to count Rhea and Sothis, I mean, I highly doubt any players S support Rhea or Sothis as F!Byleth?

Yeah, it's pretty unfair. As a woman, I'm pretty amused that I can romance all the main characters, but why can't male players do the same? As for counting Rhea, I am planning on S-supporting her when I get to the Church Route and I've noticed that there are more F!Avatar/Rhea shippers on AO3 than M!Avatar/Rhea. That's just one fanfic site, but it also seems that F!Avatar/Edelgard is more popular as well.

15 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Could you not use terms like this, please? That's a phrase that many women would tell you is offensive and makes them uncomfortable. There's zero wrong with saying you prefer M Byleth, but please find a better way to say it.

There really isn't a better imagery for why I dislike her design so, the large bulging eyes, the spacing between them, I cannot imagine a more apt description... but I will relent. That said what else could be said, there's little I can say about her design that won't offend you in one way or another, she dresses like a prostitute on the streets of Quebec. There is absolutely nothing I can say about her design that is flattering (and I don't mean on the subject of attractiveness either, she's like a caricature of oversexed characters like Camilla) I quite simply do not see a single thing I found right with this character. She doesn't look like she belongs at all.

4 hours ago, xchickengirlx said:

I do wish the game found a way to not have to call Byleth professor anymore after the time skip, but because it is a little awkward and slightly skeevy if you were bothered by the student and teacher relationship concept to begin with

I don't know about Dmitri's route (Saving that for last) but in the GD route Claude at least drops the "Professor" thing (For the most part) and just calls you "My friend." It's a little stilted, but it's better than El calling you "My teacher" even as she's (ostensibly) proposing marriage to you. 

As far as Avatars go, I prefer female Byleth for actually conveying emotion.

Spoiler

She actually looks upset during Jeralt's death instead of maintaining a stony, expressionless facial expression while tears roll down her cheeks. And she looks a little bit less like the T-1000 while she's chasing after Kronya. 

Yes, the outfit is... Uh... Questionable, but really so is male Byleth's. They both took a perfectly good coat and are wearing the sleeves as some sort of accessory while cutting holes in it for their arms. The outfit is just so 'busy' that it doesn't really fit the setting at all. 

The costume that they released as the first DLC in the "Season Pass" looks a lot better on both characters, but that's paid content (Admittedly with additional story later on down the line, but still)

15 minutes ago, Naoko_Akamori said:

I don't know about Dmitri's route (Saving that for last) but in the GD route Claude at least drops the "Professor" thing (For the most part) and just calls you "My friend." It's a little stilted, but it's better than El calling you "My teacher" even as she's (ostensibly) proposing marriage to you. 

As far as Avatars go, I prefer female Byleth for actually conveying emotion.

Hide contents

She actually looks upset during Jeralt's death instead of maintaining a stony, expressionless facial expression while tears roll down her cheeks. And she looks a little bit less like the T-1000 while she's chasing after Kronya. 

Yes, the outfit is... Uh... Questionable, but really so is male Byleth's. They both took a perfectly good coat and are wearing the sleeves as some sort of accessory while cutting holes in it for their arms. The outfit is just so 'busy' that it doesn't really fit the setting at all. 

The costume that they released as the first DLC in the "Season Pass" looks a lot better on both characters, but that's paid content (Admittedly with additional story later on down the line, but still)

Pretty sure I've said it before but it warrents saying again. The DLC costume gives male Byleth a brimmed hat, which really really adds to his stoicism by obscuring part of his face.

30 minutes ago, CyberNinja said:

There really isn't a better imagery for why I dislike her design so, the large bulging eyes, the spacing between them, I cannot imagine a more apt description... but I will relent. That said what else could be said, there's little I can say about her design that won't offend you in one way or another, she dresses like a prostitute on the streets of Quebec. There is absolutely nothing I can say about her design that is flattering (and I don't mean on the subject of attractiveness either, she's like a caricature of oversexed characters like Camilla) I quite simply do not see a single thing I found right with this character. She doesn't look like she belongs at all.

She's not fat though, which is what one would usually associate when calling someone a cow. How calling her a tarsier instead.

main-qimg-2ba8ab153039040f24e83bb8c293cc75

Edited by Jotari

I voted for female Byleth, although really I think both of them are canon. Maybe IS would go the road of having one canon in a certain route, while the other in a different route, just like they did with FE14? 

At first, I was also worried that her outfit would get in the way of my enjoyment of the game, but it ended up growing on me. Yes it's probably not a thing a teacher should be wearing,  but Manuela's outfit is even more revealing and I don't really see people bring that up at all. So who knows, maybe in the FE16 world, teachers are allowed to wear daring outfits? I also feel like her outfit just makes her stand out more than Male Byleth.

I also think her design to be really pretty. I believe some of the fan art of her that I've seen really made me see this.

Spoiler

ED5YCdvU8AEgC4T?format=jpg&name=900x900

(Example ^)

I prefer the male's outfit, and I generally prefer that my avatar match my gender.

Both should've had a NG+ option to take the jacket off, though. If it's not cold out, you don't need a jacket! And an option to not use that godawful toothpaste hair color. It tells you from the outset that it doesn't affect cutscenes, so what's the harm?

I went into the game despising Female Byleth's design and thinking Male Byleth was the coolest design every. After 4 playthroughs 2 male 2 female however, she grew on me. A lot. I still like Male Byleth's design don't get me wrong and as others have said he really portrays the emotionless vibe a lot better, but I really enjoy playing as the female avatar now. No it's not just because Byleth x Dimitri is a thing........ok so it's mainly that but I also find Rhea's interactions with the avater a lot less awkward. Though that's just the game as a whole, for each route I say.

Silver Snow: Female Byleth - I prefer the dynamics with Seteth and Rhea, also this is the route where Byleth being the goddes is the most relevant and so I like her actually being female.

Azure Moon: Female Byleth - Dimitri x Byleth, and to balance out the gender ratio. A beautiful story about killing Dimitri's ex and becoming his new girl. But being serious I feel like the romatic tension adds a lot to Dimitri's character and his growth so female every time.  

Verdant Wind: Male Byleth - Despite all the horny for claude memes I never actually got the sense there was any romantic implications in this route. Dimitri and Edelgard have tons but Claude really just strikes me as a friend, not a lover. So to make sure it doesn't cross the line into romance I prefer male Byleth. Also since Nemesis is important in this one I like to be the same gender as him because during the fight it seems more like Byleth is his Successor, Bearer of the crest of Serios: Edelgard and Serios both Female, Crest of Flames: Byleth and Nemesis both Male.

Crimson Flower: Male Byleth - Although Edelgard can be romantically involved with both Avaters, the pushing of Male Byleth with her during marketing has kind of stuck with me. I like Hubert's supports more if Byleth is male, as in his A support when he says he would devote a life to him as well, but as partners not master and servant, it helps to differentiate the relations. Apologise if this doesn't make much sense, I'm trying my best to properly explain it. Finally since your connection to the goddess disappears this route I like Byleth being the incorrect gender as it makes it seem like he is more natural without the goddess' power.

Edited by SpiceMan

7 minutes ago, SpiceMan said:

Silver Snow: Female Byleth - I prefer the dynamics with Seteth and Rhea, also this is the route where Byleth being the goddes is the most relevant and so I like her actually being female.

Azure Moon: Female Byleth - Dimitri x Byleth, and to balance out the gender ratio. A beautiful story about killing Dimitri's ex and becoming his new girl. But being serious I feel like the romatic tension adds a lot to Dimitri's character and his growth so female every time.  

Verdant Wind: Male Byleth - Despite all the horny for claude memes I never actually got the sense there was any romantic implications in this route. Dimitri and Edelgard have tons but Claude really just strikes me as a friend, not a lover. So to make sure it doesn't cross the line into romance I prefer male Byleth. Also since Nemesis is important in this one I like to be the same gender as him because during the fight it seems more like Byleth is his Successor, Bearer of the crest of Serios: Edelgard and Serios both Female, Crest of Flames: Byleth and Nemesis both Male.

Crimson Flower: Male Byleth - Although Edelgard can be romantically involved with both Avaters, the pushing of Male Byleth with her during marketing has kind of stuck with me. I like Hubert's supports more if Byleth is male, as in his A support when he says he would devote a life to him as well, but as partners not master and servant, it helps to differentiate the relations. Apologise if this doesn't make much sense, I'm trying my best to properly explain it. Finally since your connection to the goddess disappears this route I like Byleth being the incorrect gender as it makes it seem like he is more natural without the goddess' power.

You know what? I like all this. I'm stealing your headcanon.

Also, Fates had Male for Birthright and Female for Conquest, presumably to give both attention. This would serve that same purpose.

Edited by Sid Starkiller

Over the past 15-20 years, I've played as a female player character probably 9 times out of 10. Three Houses is the 1 out of 10. Her design is even less believable as a mercenary than it is as a teacher.

To be fair, I will play F Byleth eventually when I get to my second playthough, though I can't say when that will actually be. It feels like how it'd be if I was forced to choose the default F Robin in Awakening, pretty much the opposite of what type of character I'd like to portray.

Overall, I`d say I prefer Bylads design, though only slightly. I think Bylass is pretty, but so many things about her design bugs me. For instance, is the bellybutton window nessecary? And why is there a random gap of skin between her neck and chest? Not a big fan of Bylads hairstyle, but his outfit looks a lot better in my opinion. Not a big fan of the lighter hair for either though.

i would almost agree with timon and want Bylass to be S-supportable, if Byleth had more of a character. I still think there only being one same sex S-support for Bylad is stupid.

I prefer female, although I do feel male Byleth is more "canon" given how he shows up in every tutorial along with Edelgard.

Male enlightened one's outfit looks really crap with that tiara.

Edited by Okigen

I dunno what's "canon", but Male Byleth is my preference. A lot of people are saying that Female makes more sense with them being Sothis' vessel and all, but Byleth was born their own being (albeit a vegetable) before the crest stone transfer happened. As such, I think Byleth's gender is 100% irrelevant to the story being told.

Also the obligatory argument of Female Byleth having a really dumb outfit and I can at least take Male Byleth's appearance seriously.

But hey, if F!Corrin and her Fates panty window™ is any indication, we'll get a PVC figure, a nendroid, and 20 alts of F!Byleth in Heroes while Male gets...an amiibo, maybe. So by rule of fanservice, stockings will "become" canon, as right now, the two Byleth's seem kinda even.

PS: Male Byleth's sad face portrait is the most hilarious thing in this game, so that's even more bonus points for him in my book.

Edited by Jakkun

10 hours ago, timon said:

Male has one of the WORST designs in the whole game, he's down there with preskip Annette, Lorenz and Caspar. On the other hand female has one of the best. Also she at least reacts to things, the lad either does -_- or "surprised pikachu face".

I disagree - I just cannot abide female Byleth's outfit, as it veers into being really inappropriate for a professor.

28 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

I disagree - I just cannot abide female Byleth's outfit, as it veers into being really inappropriate for a professor.

Then why is no one talking about Manuela, she is a LOT more inappropriate than a bellybutton window and some weirdly designed stockings.

Also I'm more talking about their "head+face", male has god awful hair (actually the worst haircut in the game Lorenz aside) and a terrible expression, while she's overwhelmingly cute.

9 minutes ago, timon said:

Then why is no one talking about Manuela, she is a LOT more inappropriate than a bellybutton window and some weirdly designed stockings.

Also I'm more talking about their "head+face", male has god awful hair (actually the worst haircut in the game Lorenz aside) and a terrible expression, while she's overwhelmingly cute.

Because she's the desperate mid-30s trying to baby trap some poor sod? Her character is literally the fan-service former beloved singer and dancer who nearing the end of her prime and desperate to find a husband. Byleth we're supposed to take serious as a warrior. Generally I care if a character fits what they're supposed to be presented as, not whether I'd want to get my dick wet. THAT was for that 80-90s heavy metal aesthetic...

Edited by CyberNinja

And Manuela in setting is a magic teacher, doesn't participated in regular combat like knights, spent most days either in classroom or her clinic.

Battle of Eagle or Lion was supposedly closest thing she would have to combat

That's quite different than someone has to run through bushes and jump into thick of melee

I don't know what "canon" is...but male Byleth simply because I'm a guy. Plus he has an impressive design as opposed to the female's rather explicit looking one unfitting for a professor.

1 hour ago, Crysta said:

No, Manuela is much worse. Being older and still dressing like that is much worse lmao.

At least Manuela has something resembling a reason for it. All she ever knew were people who loved her for her looks and her voice. Now that she's done playing the field and wants to settle down, she's finding that it might be too late, and falls back on emphasizing her looks, since that's what worked for her in the past. If she wasn't a drunk...and a slob...and so obviously desperate...then it might work.

Byleth has no such reasoning. Jeralt clearly taught them nothing of the world other than how to be a merc, and that outfit doesn't help her do the one thing she understands.

I'm not sure why the teacher who has presumably been there for years, flaunts her cleavage and openly hits on you in spite of a clear age difference is given a pass but the young adult who has abruptly been given a teaching gig is vilified for her choice in tights... because she has "reasons" lmao