Canon Byleth (or, which gender do you prefer?)

Jotari

Which Bleyth?  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Which Bleyth?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Y'see what I mean when I like to imagine Byleth just kinda threw on whatever the hell she found on her travels and just kinda went with it. Her design becomes 10 times better and more entertaining that way cause it becomes a part of the character. Like who is going to question a face that looks that stoic and blank? not many people and that's what's funny to me.

Despite the atrocious design, I think female Byleth makes more sense as the reincarnation/receptacle of the goddess. Those tights though....

Also, it's at exactly 24 to 24 at the time I'm posting this so that's neat.

Edited by Solvaij

Just now, Integrity said:

the choker thingy doesn't look like it would get less heavy with a dress on

yeah but it's not really something I'd expect someone to put on in their casual wear, but when you're off to a fancy ball or something

heavier, less practical stuff for fancy times

people like including fancy elements in everyday gear, i get it tbh

EDIT: like nicki minaj said, if you don't wake up feeling pussy dress yourself up pussy, you dig

Edited by Integrity

1 minute ago, Integrity said:

EDIT: like nicki minaj said, if you don't wake up feeling pussy dress yourself up pussy, you dig

lol fair enough

CHANDLIER EARRINGS WITH MY BRIGAND WEAR, BABY

38 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

...I didn't do church route yet but holy shit Rhea CREATED Byleth's mom? 

I see. Lol damn you Jeralt, passing down a Y chromosome...

@Ottservia That is actually...a good point?

Sorry, I should have put spoiler there

and in fact

Spoiler

It's implied Byleth's mom was a clone of Sothis by her words and color of Byleth's hair.

Jeralt also has his blood replaced by Rhea some centuries ago when she saved his life,

as result Byelth was 50% Sothis, 25% Rhea and 25% Jeralt with a Crest of Flame.

In any sense, Byleth was an indirect creation of Rhea as an accident

Edited by Timlugia

1 minute ago, Integrity said:

hey if it makes you feel personally empowered, i ain't gonna judge

hX97QGc.jpg

Spoiler

didn't SS reveal that Byleth was intended to be a reincarnation of the goddess, too, or is that poor fan translation/heresy?

I am frustraded as hell because i was sure that i saw codpieces while playing, but as my google fu kept on failing me i am now doubting what i have seen. At least we have the brawler line.

That said, i am on the crew that is mostly ok whit catherine and Manuela but not whit Byleth.

Catherine breastplate is clearly reinforced at the sternum, wich make up for the weakness of normal breast plate. I have no particular problems whut feminine armor as long as it's not impractical. People add fancy details all the time, Catherine's colleague has a gigantic spiked pauldron for Sothis's sake.

Manuela just is dressed in a way that really fits her character, so i find difficult to find a problem in her, unless we consider a problem that a charcter like that was made in the first place.

FemByleth has just an ugly design. It's not even practicality because she wear as much armor as the male, it's just a mix-match of silly and anachronistic stuff. And i don't know who decided to keep all the worst stuff for her version of enghlitened one.

since i haven't actually contributed into the thread except to issue a folksy warning and then post a series of nonsequiturs i'll be a responsible member of a society

i definitely like guyleth's design more but i also like byleth's design and i've mostly had that turn into people trying and failing to make me feel bad about liking byleth's design and it gets tiring, so i voted for byleth mostly to be a bitch about it to ethereal enemies

2 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

And i don't know who decided to keep all the worst stuff for her version of enghlitened one.

This is the kicker for me. When I first saw the Enlightened One class on Manleth, I was hopeful that Femleth would get a similar design (I mean, the class is literally the anime pope). But to my surprise, the stockings and belly window were still there. I daresay it's even worse in Enlightened One since it contrasts the white of the robe making it even harder to ignore.

3 minutes ago, Jakkun said:

This is the kicker for me. When I first saw the Enlightened One class on Manleth, I was hopeful that Femleth would get a similar design (I mean, the class is literally the anime pope). But to my surprise, the stockings and belly window were still there. I daresay it's even worse in Enlightened One since it contrasts the white of the robe making it even harder to ignore.

Yeah, the male Enlightened One outfit having black and white seemed to me to be evoking a yin-yang effect, representing how Byleth and Sothis are now two halves of one being. The female version removes a lot of the white, thus ruining the effect. It's still a crappy outfit either way, but at least on the male I see what they were trying to do.

The most ostentatious stockings I've seen since Tina Weymouth's in Stop Making Sense. Apparently she still gets questions about those stockings some thirty-plus years later.

M Byleth should wear the Big Suit.

I usually play with male avatars, so M!Byleth for me.

I had to learn how to like F!Byleth, tbh.  Her design is ... terrible. (yes, everything that people already complained about - the funky leggings, belly showing, and in particular that weird accessory that connects her neck and chest... thank god for the Academy outfit). Not only that, but imo, the previous avatars felt unique from each other. In this case, it seems like they forgot to create F!Byleth at the last minute, so they just decide to grab M!Byleth's face, and then put bigger eyes and longer hair and call it a day. It threw me off a little bit, but nowadays I am cool with it, it was just that I was used for the avatars to look more different between each other, you know? I just fear that if we get another Fe game with an avatar, they will create another skimpy female version.

For the supports... yeah, it sucks that you can't S support Dimitri and Claude as Bylad (like, come on, game, at least the lords!!!). But, if you don't count the students, Shamir and Catherine are great options. 

The fact female Byleth has different animations sorta proves she wasn't done last minute nor did they forget about her. Also her having her own outfit makes her feel a lot more like her own character than past female avatars.

Anyway, on another note. I saw the results of a popularity poll which took place in Japan, and interestingly enough, Female Byleth seems to be more popular than Male Byleth. 

Whenever I look at the attire of base Byleth and Englightened Byleth I have the feeling that Male Byleth is the intended avatar for this game. Female Byleth feels like the generalization of late female asian rpg archetypes where clothing is - I'm pretty confident on this - not designed by a female. I mean is there a female who'd dress in medieval fantasy in short skirts and weird fashioned stocking while their belly button is out? Remember, you are a mercenary who just became a high school teacher.

So yeah, male Byleth is more beliveable for me, but there's also the slight bias that I used male Byleth first, and looking forwards to get more of his S support waifus.

2 hours ago, Rose482 said:

Anyway, on another note. I saw the results of a popularity poll which took place in Japan, and interestingly enough, Female Byleth seems to be more popular than Male Byleth. 

I think it was because the majority of the poll takers were females. If I remember correctly, it was around 65% females so it's expected for F!Byleth to be 'more popular'.

In addition to that, there are definitely straight male players that enjoy Byleth for her...assets. Pretty sure she has one of the biggest breasts out of all the female characters. This is sad to say but I have straight male friends in real life that preferred F!Byleth just because of her assets and the fact that she can S Support with other female characters (specifically Edelgard and Dorothea). So I suspect her popularity may partly be due to some superficial reasons...

2 hours ago, Rose482 said:

The fact female Byleth has different animations sorta proves she wasn't done last minute nor did they forget about her. Also her having her own outfit makes her feel a lot more like her own character than past female avatars.

A lot of people are shitting all over Female Byleth on this thread, but with the poll results, the two have actually been consistently neck and neck. So the disparity isn't nearly as big as it would seem by just reading the vocal opinions.

I prefer Female Byleth but only just barely. Male Byleth isn't too bad either but I feel rather meh about both designs.

Like most people I really dislike Female Byleth's outfit. I can't shake the fact that a mercenary would have exposed skin like that. She's just asking to be stabbed by a sword or impaled by a lance right in the stomach. Sure she has some armor but what's the point if you leave large areas exposed anyways? It hasn't been too bad for me though as I mainly use the academy outfit instead.

I'm also not the biggest fan of her rather large assets. I know it's purely for fanservice reasons, but so many female characters get treated this way. Guess I'm pretty biased here as I have rather small assets personally which makes it harder for me to relate to her as a character. I do like her face and hair though, I know many people don't but I consider her to be fairly cute looking at least. 

As for male I don't care much for his outfit either though it's definitely better than female's. his face and hair are ok but I'm not the biggest fan for some reason.

So yeah my vote goes to female but only just slightly. In general though I'm not the biggest fan of either.

Edited by Holla99

1 hour ago, Holla99 said:

I'm also not the biggest fan of her rather large assets. I know it's purely for fanservice reasons, but so many female characters get treated this way.

I understand it with Camilla (or Manuela) because it's very obviously flaunted on every chance, but F!Byleth is just... busty, I wouldn't say that's for fanservice. I'd see your point if the whole cast had huge breasts, but it's just a few (Byleth, Hilda, Manuela, maybe Dorothea, can't recall anyone else tbh).

Hell, the fact that Byleth is the player makes me think even less of fanservice, it's not like you can interact with her as a character.