Did Byleth REALLY have to be a Professor?

3 minutes ago, redlight said:

Byleth has martial prowess, but that's on par with Jeritza being a fencing instructor. It's not made too apparent before becoming a professor that he's some kind of tactician. If anything, Jeralt was the one giving orders during the prologue. 

Byleth is a famous mercenary who even has a nickname called 'The Ashen Demon'. Doesn't sounds like a noob for me. And they also said ingame, Caspar did, that they thought Jeritza would be the next teacher if Byleth didn't show up. And if Jeritza can be a teacher I think Byleth can it too.

2 minutes ago, Hauke said:

Byleth is a famous mercenary who even has a nickname called 'The Ashen Demon'. Doesn't sounds like a noob for me. And they also said ingame, Caspar did, that they thought Jeritza would be the next teacher if Byleth didn't show up. And if Jeritza can be a teacher I think Byleth can it too.

What part is saying having martial prowess meant to insinuate him being a noob? That's a compliment

In that case then yes. Anyone with talent in one field can be a teacher. However the game tries to come off as Byleth despite having expertise in one or two fields of knowledge, can teach people things he probably needs to study himself. Of course Byleth's proficiencies do play a role in how well you teach, but there really isn't anything stopping him from teaching about riding pegasi or wyverns.

Also. Regarding Jeritza

Spoiler

He'd possibly be a good master of all teacher if him having the mastermind ability is anything to go by. Since it's Lysithea's personal ability and it's supposed to represent her being a prodigy it seems that Jeritza himself was a prodigy. He was probably hiding his true talents while he was undercover.

If s/he was a student I would've needed some add savor on the icecream bland flavour. Which would have been salt.
Student in a school ? Yawn. Seen it everytime everywhere. Teacher in a school ? Ah, some originality ! Oh and you can do stuff tied to the fact you are teacher ! Including... TEACHING !

Here's the difference. One is bland and molt, the other is original and fresh.

Also, it makes sense on multiple front for Rhea to do that.
She go on the principle that Byleth is Sothis, which is technically true, if they are truly Sothis, being a teacher is no biggie. It could also be seen as a way to force Byleth to stay.
Byleth have privileges, a job, friends, if he make too much noise, those could be taken. And if he's a menace or a failure, he could be 'easily' removed.
Jeralt have the blood of Rhea, and it seems to do weird things to people, including transforming them apparently. Imagine that.

...Well that doesn't add up 100%, since Rhea seems to be 100% certain that Byleth = Sothis, to into giving literally give Byleth too much privilege  hello Creator Sword,
Or maybe it was part of 'Le plan', and never expected Byleth to be able to say, 'Nope' to her, let alone 'Fuck No'.

12 hours ago, redlight said:

What part is saying having martial prowess meant to insinuate him being a noob? That's a compliment

In that case then yes. Anyone with talent in one field can be a teacher. However the game tries to come off as Byleth despite having expertise in one or two fields of knowledge, can teach people things he probably needs to study himself. Of course Byleth's proficiencies do play a role in how well you teach, but there really isn't anything stopping him from teaching about riding pegasi or wyverns.

Also. Regarding Jeritza

Reveal hidden contents

He'd possibly be a good master of all teacher if him having the mastermind ability is anything to go by. Since it's Lysithea's personal ability and it's supposed to represent her being a prodigy it seems that Jeritza himself was a prodigy. He was probably hiding his true talents while he was undercover.

I mean...Manuela and Hanneman aren't experts at combat. You can also do seminars during the weekend with various professors. Each house has their own homeroom professor/teacher but they received mentoring from all of them. It's ridiculous to expect 1 professor to be an expert at everything. That's literally not how anything past high school/college works.

Besides, people like Hubert actually ask you 'What would you do if you are asked to teach something you're not an expert at?' or something to that affect and one option is 'I would study the topic myself before teaching' which is his preferential line of choice. This game does actually address what you're talking about.

Many teachers who teach subjects they're not experts on do the exact same thing, studying the discussion topic beforehand either from their own research or through borrowing a colleague's notes or teaching material. In 3 Houses terms, that involves training Byleth's skills with the other professors during explorations and taking part in seminars.

Edited by Eltoshen