Which House would you choose based on Impressions and nothing else?

House you would pick base on first impressions.  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Choose your house here

• Black Eagles
    • Blue Lions
    • Golden Deer

Basically what it says on the tin. I am aware that some say that the game does not give you enough time to really make a good decision, but still. Based on what you value in a student-teacher relationship, as well as your own personality, which House would you pick if you were in Byleth’s shoes? As in, a mercenary who would suddenly need to be a teacher?

Personally, I would want a relatively easy year if I were Byleth. So, I would go for those most willing to learn. Those are the best students, at least to me. I’d also not want any trouble-makers, no matter how they make trouble. For these reasons, I would actually choose Blue Lions. As Dimitri says, he, Annette, Ingrid,  and Ashe seem to fit the description. And I would not see anything wrong with Dedue and Mercedes, either. The only two possible trouble makers here would be Felix and Sylvain. But I can take a sharp tongue to philandering any day.

The Black Eagles have three that I think would be big trouble makers: Caspar, Linhardt, and Hubert. Caspar is the loud, muscle-headed dude who would probably pick fights on campus, Linhardt would be sleeping in class, and Hubert would just feel fishy to me. As for those who fit the description of the student I look for, Edelgard and Petra seem to fit. Ferdinand does not seem to have anything going on other than his rivalry with Edelgard and his nobility, and Dorothea and Bernadetta just don’t seem to say anything to me, either.

The Golden Deer, on the other hand, would have Claude (he even says he is the embodiment of disrespect, but guy is just unpredictable in general) and Lorenz (arrogance and not shutting up. Claude even says he doesn’t) and maybe Hilda (laziness, as Claude says) as troublemakers and Lysithea and Ignatz as those students I’d want. Though, Leonie is also someone I’d like to have as my student, because of links to Jeralt. Raphael and Marianne do not say much.

For me, it would be BL>GD>BE.

Ironically I'd probably stay away from GD (which are actually the most stable of the bunch), just because having to deal with Claude, Hilda and especially Lysithea sounds like a lot of pain as an instructor. Ignatz and Raphael wouldn't make the job easy either, one has no motivation, the other no brain. Throw in having to work with Marianne's depression and I'm out of there lmao, Leonie is the only sane one (and she wants your dad).

The other 2 are a close call. The moment you hear Mercedes/Bernadetta's voice it is any human being's instinct to run away as far as you can. In BE you also have Caspar constantly shouting dumb nonsense and Linhardt not doing anything ever. In BL you have Felix basically insulting everyone around him and Sylvain constantly being an idiot. You'd also have to deal with Annette's messups. At that point I'd go BE just because Edelgard/Dorothea/Petra are more appealing than any of the BL I guess.

Though honestly just going off of first impression I'd just choose to run away from this crazy place and go in Remire and have a beer with some random and completely normal villager.

What is the first impression? The brief dialogue you have with the house leaders in the prologue? The quick run-down each gives you about the members of their house?

Actually, I would probably reject the option to choose and ask Hanneman and Manuela to continue with the classes they were originally scheduled to teach. I hate feeling like an intruder, and worse like an intruder who gets special privileges.

4 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

Actually, I would probably reject the option to choose and ask Hanneman and Manuela to continue with the classes they were originally scheduled to teach. I hate feeling like an intruder, and worse like an intruder who gets special privileges.

You'd probably end up teaching the Golden deer then, since Manuela teaches Black Eagles in 2/3 paths, and Hanneman teaches Blue Lions in 2/3 paths which suggests that those are the canon houses for them and that the teacher who ran away at the beginning would likely be teaching The Golden Deer. 

Speaking of that Teacher, my biggest want for the dlc is to know who the hell they are. I am way too curious about this.

I probably wouldn't have chosen Claude if I was being rational because he smells like trouble and likes playing mind games (though in actuality I did go with him). The other two are earnest enough and I think a form of sunken cost fallacy (the currency being Divine Pulse) would probably kick in - I've already sort of died protecting Edelgard so I guess there'd be a bit of a pull towards continuing along that path.

I don't think the other students really come into it. As a teacher, I would have no expectation of delving into their personal lives so most interaction would be at arms' length. It's not my concern whether a student is a recluse, a philanderer or a glutton outside class hours. Obviously it doesn't turn out that way, but it'd be a completely reasonable expectation at first for the relationship to be purely professional.

2 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

I don't think the other students really come into it. As a teacher, I would have no expectation of delving into their personal lives so most interaction would be at arms' length. It's not my concern whether a student is a recluse, a philanderer or a glutton outside class hours. Obviously it doesn't turn out that way, but it'd be a completely reasonable expectation at first for the relationship to be purely professional.

That is a good point. Considering that, if I were Byleth (with his personality, situation, etc.), I would treat it as professional, too. I was just taking into account how they are in the classroom, is all.

I would say that Hubert is a bit of an exception, as I would have concerns about teaching a student with an ambiguous aura about him, but Dimitri sort of has the same thing (since Byleth senses the darkness lurking in Dimitri). Honestly, they both would be good students.

Still, I dunno about teaching a class with a student who would rather be lazy than go through with his motivation (which would seem to be the case with Linhardt on the surface), and I’d rather take someone with no motivation to learn (like Marianne) than someone like that.

Even still, Blue Lions seems to have the most motivation to learn, in my opinion. And that would be all that matters to me at first. Once the recruitment aspect comes in, I would probably wait until after the Battle of Eagle and Lion before recruiting anyone, to maybe help them if I feel the need to. Unless that feeling comes earlier and I decide that I really need to offer help to this person. Which might not happen.

Feels natural enough, given Byleth own personal character development from being less emotional to more emotional. Or maybe empathetic would be the right term for this case.

Blue Lions. I'm rather shy, so I would primarily want a bunch of "good" kids. Most of the students are like their country's ideals: Chivalrous and Honorable; thus are good students, namely Annette, Felix, Dimitri, Ashe, Mercedes, Ingrid and Dedue. As a result, the only student I see being really obnoxious is Sylvain, all the others know what's acceptable and what is not. Dimitri's PTSD only clicks in at the End of the School year, and Felix isn't known to pick of fights randomly like Caspar. This is my pick.

Black Eagles: My least favorite class. Hubert threatens to kill you if he's thinks your a nuisance to Edelgard, which already is a contender for expulsion. Then what he and Edelgard does during the school year. There's Caspar picking fights, Linhardt sleeping and cutting class for research crests, and Bernadetta who cuts class due to her trauma. The only students I don't see a problem are Ferdinand, Dorothea, and Petra.

Golden Deer: Claude is already a troublemaker, wanting to poison people to cheat during battle assignments, Lorenz is a womanizer just like Sylvain, Hilda is lazy and will hand plagarized homework, and Raphael is too obvious with training and eating to worry about studying. The only students I don't have a problem with is Lysithea, who is a good student despite her childish tendencies, Marianne and Ignatz  just need some prompting for dreams, and Leonie is the only one that has 0 problems.

Edited by ZeManaphy

i already chose entirely based off of impressions

i paid like zero attention to all the prerelease hype except for that ingrid's design dropped and i said fuck i'm going to her house

then i chanted blue lions on a shirt for like three months

then i went blue lions having no idea what else was there

based on pre release impressions alone

black eagles: team trying too hard. Edelgard especially struck me as a misguided attempt at the whole independent women who dont need no man schtick that most producers fail to actually grasp and was inevitably going to fall on its face. kinda like lucina in that regard. the rest failed to inspire much confidence except for maybe lindhart and hubert at first impression.

golden deer: team token bi. claude felt like he was going to be especially token in that regard, already the awkward third wheel of the three and then shoehorned into the fandoms gay baby spot of pre release hype in terms of characters simply because he shared superfical similarities to niles and gay sterotypes. the rest seemed to be quirky but insubstantial.

blue lions: team old routine. dimitri seemed like he was going to be the standard fe lord affair and he was going to do it solidly. rest of the house were bog standard but solid enough so it left me with the best overall impression of competence.

impressions after launch

black eagles: edelgard managed to avoid being the try hard independent women and actually does manage to earn some actual independent women credit by being an actual character instead of a cardboard cutout. unfortunately im not personally enthused by that character which felt like an indecisive compromise between making her a villain protagonist and making her a dark and dirty hero which ultimately satisfied no one but people who wanna do the nasty with her and fools. like the rest of the house far more then i thought i would though, with really only dorothea remaining the same in terms of my opinion.

golden deer: surprisingly ended up being the token heterosexuals which was a funny twist. jokes aside, claude felt like a breath of relief since well he shared superficial similarities to niles he veered off into a far more interesting direction. i dont necessarily hate niles mind, i just feel he gets more love then his character deserves. back to claude though, hes genuinely enjoyable but still feels like the third wheel of the bunch that could have been left out and the game would have still felt intact and probably a lot more cohesive and complete if the resources and story details used for it where spread to the remaining routes instead. rest of the house still remains the quirkiest and i like a few of them more then i thought i would, raphael for instance greatly interests me and leonie i didnt give enough initial credit too, but its still the house im the most apathetic towards in terms of individual members.

blue lions: gay babies. gay babies everywhere. more importantly, this was the most competent house in terms of character writing in my opinion and i was pleasantly surprised to see that as opposed to just being your typical fe lord dimitri ended up being a deconstruction of sorts of your typical fe lord. rest of the blue lions are solid as well with dedue and ash standing out the most to me.

I’d pick BL because they are the most well-rounded cast in my opinion. Felix and Sylvain might be troublemakers, but as long as I could steer them behind their worse tendencies and play to their academic strengths(Felix gets more focus on physical based training, and Sylvain seems like he’s the kind of person who gets high marks even without studying) it should be fine. The rest of them have a nice attitude in general and would comply when it comes to learning, and I can particularly see Ingrid and Dimitri be the mediator between the troublemakers, which would be a massive help for me.

For other classes, I can see BE being the hardest to deal with due to several clashing personalities, and they don’t really have someone who stood up in general for me(I can only see Petra being the only one who poses no trouble in one way or another). GD would also be troublesome to deal, but they don’t pose as much potential threat as BE does for me as they’re mostly just trying to have fun instead of potentially looking down on the teacher.

I'd go golden deer probably, anything with the word empire in it smells like elitist trouble, and holy kingdom says elitist religious trouble, and I want none of that bs.

Now from a student breakdown, I think gd is middle of the road.  You see Hilda types everywhere in schools, and the only headache I would see as a teacher would be having to tip toe around marianne even when trying to help her.

Blue lions have probably the easiest in line students, cause even sylvain is a decent student, he's just dumb outside of class.  Felix, well edgelords will be edgelords, he will mature.

Black eagles, I like Ferdinand, but if I was a teacher I think his elitist crap would drive me nuts.  I have issues getting along with people who are eerily similar to me, so lindhardt would make me super stressed and pissed off.

Yeah, taking golden deer mainly for the loose affiliation to the church and broader less elitist ideals

Logically, the Blue Lions are the best fit for a new professor. Almost all are eager to learn, the only major problems being Felix's attitude and Sylvain's skirt-chasing. Black Eagles have major problem personalities in Hubert, Lindhart and Bernadetta while the Golden Deer have Claude, Lorenz, Hilda and maybe Marianne.