Which boys should have been bi?

Jotari

So over on the which Byleth is better thread a number of people have pointed out the generally uneveness of there being only a single male-male S rank while there's a good half dozen or so female-female. With that being said, among the supportable characters that exist already, which boy can you buy being bi had IS not said bye bye to the idea of more bis. Please, no bias.

I had far more fun with that last sentence than I Intended to.

I feel like Sylvain being one of the Bi options would had made a lot of sense. Now to the people who don't know much about him, that might sound confusing considering he loves flirting with women, but for the people who do know his background, they would probably understand what I mean lol. 

Oh and I could had seen Claude being Bi as well.

Claude!

Pretty much the entire internet seemed to think its a waste he wasn't and he does have some traits that would have made him a very likely candidate. 

There's Caspar if him and Lin ''settling down'' is supposed to be taken as them living together romantically. 

Maybe Ferdinant and....Hubert? Their A support was shockingly romantic. 

And Alois because its still really funny.

Dimitri and Claude. If that were the case, it would just help so much because then it would even out the lords all being available for Byleth regardless of gender and it would make the bi options 5:5

I was gonna say no one until someone brought up Ferdinand and Hubert. I feel like those two should’ve been bis in the first place and it’s funny because I don’t even like Ferdinand.

I think they should have made it an even playing field by making all the Lords bi Support options. People argue how canon and perfect F!Byleth and Dimitri is, like it plays out like your typical shoujou romance story...But I’ve seen people on reddit point out that the dialogue btw both Byleths and Dimitri isn’t all that different? Just some changes here and there to make some lines more gender specific. So I don’t  think the Dimitri can only be full heterosexual argument holds up too much?

While I think Claude should have also been a bi option, after playing his route, the relationship btw him and Byleth felt more platonic? I played as M!Byleth, but I was asking myself, “if I was playing as F!Byleth, would I really be feeling romantic overtones?” Not to mention, after you get Claude’s S support 

Spoiler

He straight up leaves Bylass to go on his journey to end racism. Haven’t  read their paired ending, I’m guessing Bylass reunites with Bylass. 

Then there are all the other characters with arguably plenty of gay subtext? Especially with The Black Eagles.

You have HubertxFerdinand DorotheaxPetra, and well, Dorothea with any female character honestly. While Caspar and Linhardt’s paired end does the “they were BFFs but no homo” their C-A support is not romantic whatsoever, so I wouldn’t argue for making Caspar a bi option

The Blue Lions...Sylvain is a hopeless womanizer, but his A+ support and paired ending with Felix is arguably pretty homoerotic. I didn’t save it, but a I saw someone on tumblr do a more literal translation of their paired ending from Japanese, and it’s even more homoerotic.

Ashe could have been an option? Idk, when I did his A support with M!Byleth, Ashe gets so happy and emotional, and hard blushes. It was pretty sweet.

then of course there’s Catherine and Shamir. Why they weren’t bi support options for F!Byleth is baffling. Because not including Rhea, there are no bi S support options for F!Byleth who are adults. Also the translations for Catherine and Shamir are another example where the actual Japanese text was more homoerotic than the translation the localization team gave.

Although many who are fluent enough in Japanese have questioned some of the translation choices made by the translation team, which is a bit unfortunate, but no surprise either.

tl;dr

IS took a couple steps forward by giving F!Byleth 5 bi S supports, but then several steps back for how they handled the bi S support options for M!Byleth, and all the non-commital  homoerotic subtext with all the other characters I mentioned.

with how IS handled S supports in general with 3H, it’s hard to predict what’ll be like with the next mainline FE game. This game should have been the one to give the most  bi S support options for both Byleth’s. But they kinda blew it, and I can’t say I have much confidence for them to improve on that in future games

5% of any given general population is LGBT.  There really shouldn't be more than 2 or queer options in a cast of characters this size.  

Like honestly--the number of gay pairings in this game is fine.

And the number of lesbian pairings is over-inflated purely for appeal to male fantasy and the desire of straight male players to see more girl-and-girl.

Edited by Shoblongoo

To be honest, if edelgard can S-rank female byleth, there is no reason why dimitri and claude can't S-rank male byleth BUT...

Regarding dimtri, gilbert's single ending in blue lion says

he retired and spend his time training dimitri's son so this implies dimitri canonically has a wife so him S-rank male byleth may not make sense...? maybe they dont want to have surrogate in there or something i dont know...

Regarding edelgard, black eagle spoiler...

she steps down as emperor and even pick another one as the new on at the end of her route so thats a way to let her S-rank female byleth i suppose

i haven't beat golden deer so i cant say about claude

edit: missing stuff

Edited by LoboKD001

13 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

5% of any given general population is LGBT.  There really shouldn't be more than 2 or queer options in a cast of characters this size.  

And the number of lesbian pairings is over-inflated purely for appeal to male fantasy and the desire of straight male players to see more girl-and-girl.

Yeah, that's certainly another way of looking at it. By the by, do people count Sothis towards the total for female Byleth? Because I think a goddess living in your head that makes up half of your being is a bit of a different situation.

I'm not sure, I don't think the game needs more tbh, as I can't see anyone that'd make sense. Hell, I struggle to see Linhardt as one, he's a very platonic guy.

Maybe Dimitri in his route, but that'd be more because of his relationship with Byleth himself than for anything else.

Also strongly disagree on Claude, the guy doesn't have any romantic implication at all. It's hard to see him even with Bylass really, it's completely and only friendship.

18 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

Just because real life only has 5% of the population that is LGBT doesn't mean the game has to only have that same ratio. We're not playing a life sim, we're playing a fantasy game where we're talking to the soul of a girl stuck in our heads while fighting demonic beasts and a advanced evil cult with a magical chain sword, this is not exactly the game to argue what should be reflective of reality. This is especially the case since we have more then double the F/F options that you're suggesting for F!Byleth along with a few other options like PetraxDorothea, so it's not like TH is aiming for that realistic ratio anyway. 

As for the final point, I have to say I feel it's a little cynical to write off the F/F pairings as just a male fantasy. Whether or not it appeals to straight male players there are many Bi and Lesbian players who do appreciate the options, particularly since (at least as far as they pairings I've read) they're written in a way that doesn't feel pandering on their own. They're just two female characters falling in love, it's not forcing a 'fetishizing' of the characters nor is it only intended to be read that way.   

Edited by Medeus

The thing whit dimitri is that he is not sane so all his shippy mannerism seems awkard as hell to me. I would feel bad about romancing him whit Bylass, because i would feel like exploiting his vulnerable mental state. 

I think that everyone that have a clearly romantic paired ending should be an option for Byleth, but i also don't think that any speciphic character has vibes of any sexuality unless they are like Sylvain. What exactly make Raphael more or less gay than Ignatz? Stereotypes? Your own biases of what an homosexual person should be? Your desire to romance him? 

2 hours ago, Garlyle said:

Not that I'm interested in these kind of conversation, but Ashe does feel like having the vibe for it.

I do hear Ashe be mentioned relatively often as someone who might be bi or that people wanted to be bi. Personally I don't really see it in Ashe though. 

Hubert, if its for Edelgard Hubert would marry a man. But I agree with Ferdinand and Hubert... I got this ending unintentionally and it kind of fits. I still prefer Ferdinand x Hilda though. Hilda knows best of how to make use of Ferdinands feature.

Edited by Stroud

I've only played Black Eagles and Golden Deer so I'll only talk about them and I'll only mention characters I specifically think might not work.

Hubert tells Edelgard he loves her in their A support. Not a disqualifier for sure, but might make things awkward.

Lorenz is always going on about looking for a proper wife. His opinions do change over time, though, so maybe it wouldn't be so strange?

Ignatz is obsessed with the beauty of female figures like Sothis and Cethleann.

The others don't have anything as far as I've seen that suggest they wouldn't work. Claude, of course, is the one that already exudes bi energy. He definitely should have been an option.

1 hour ago, Shoblongoo said:

This is a fantasy game where any member of the opposite sex can fall in love with the player character.

Don't bring "but muh realism!" into this conversation.

1 hour ago, Flere210 said:

The thing whit dimitri is that he is not sane so all his shippy mannerism seems awkard as hell to me. I would feel bad about romancing him whit Bylass, because i would feel like exploiting his vulnerable mental state. 

I think that everyone that have a clearly romantic paired ending should be an option for Byleth, but i also don't think that any speciphic character has vibes of any sexuality unless they are like Sylvain. What exactly make Raphael more or less gay than Ignatz? Stereotypes? Your own biases of what an homosexual person should be? Your desire to romance him? 

How romantic one finds the existing supports perhaps?

27 minutes ago, Florete said:

I've only played Black Eagles and Golden Deer so I'll only talk about them and I'll only mention characters I specifically think might not work.

Hubert tells Edelgard he loves her in their A support. Not a disqualifier for sure, but might make things awkward.

Lorenz is always going on about looking for a proper wife. His opinions do change over time, though, so maybe it wouldn't be so strange?

Ignatz is obsessed with the beauty of female figures like Sothis and Cethleann.

The others don't have anything as far as I've seen that suggest they wouldn't work. Claude, of course, is the one that already exudes bi energy. He definitely should have been an option.

This is a fantasy game where any member of the opposite sex can fall in love with the player character.

That's kind of an issue already in the game.  Pretty sure I had Lorenz propose marriage in some way in three literal back to back (A) support conversations.

On the subject of Lorenz, it would make for some interesting character development on his part if he went for Male Byleth with the implication being he values the relationship more than continuing the ancestral line of his house.

Edited by Jotari

20 minutes ago, Florete said:

The amount of 'realism' or lack thereof that they put into the setting is part of what makes it feel or fail to feel like an immersive world.

The fact that they didn't pull a Fates on us this time around an that the whole world doesn't revolve around everyone being a Bylethsexual helps Fodlan feel like an actual immersive world, and not just wrapping paper for a harem fantasy. 

Thats my position and I'm sticking to it.

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

That's kind of an issue already in the game.  Pretty sure I had Lorenz propose marriage in some way in three literal back to back (A) support conversations.

Yeah, that's pretty true. A lot of A rank conversations are meant to lead into paired endings. Even Dorothea and Manuela's A support comes off as pretty romantic.

3 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

The amount of 'realism' or lack thereof that they put into the setting is part of what makes it feel or fail to feel like an immersive world.

The fact that they didn't pull a Fates on us this time around an that the whole world doesn't revolve around everyone being a Bylethsexual helps Fodlan feel like an actual immersive world, and not just wrapping paper for a harem fantasy. 

Thats my position and I'm sticking to it.

I'm sorry that the potential for some dudes to fall in love with your dude avatar would break your immersion, but it would be nice if you could at least have some courtesy for those who want their own fantasy in this wish-fulfillment aspect of this fantasy game.

3 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

Wow. I just cant with this post. That is some rather gross presumption there, mate. Its also offensive to queer femmes who play this game. (Which there are quite a lot of) 

you are kidding about this 5% shit, right? This is a video game world where no one so much as side eyes a same sex couple. A world which the potentially most important person in it, can marry someone of the same gender and people celebrate it. 

Anyway, Claude should have been a bi option for Boyleth. Hes the sort who would have no compunctions on who he fell in love with. It just feels off that he isnt 

33 minutes ago, Loki Laufeyson said:

Wow. I just cant with this post. That is some rather gross presumption there, mate. Its also offensive to queer femmes who play this game. (Which there are quite a lot of) 

you are kidding about this 5% shit, right? This is a video game world where no one so much as side eyes a same sex couple. A world which the potentially most important person in it, can marry someone of the same gender and people celebrate it. 

Anyway, Claude should have been a bi option for Boyleth. Hes the sort who would have no compunctions on who he fell in love with. It just feels off that he isnt 

I promise you queer femmes are not the target audience Nintendo is trying to reach with gratuitous lesbian pairings 

Edited by Shoblongoo