Smash Bros. DLC Fan Backlash

TheGoodHoms

With an additional wave of DLC fighters on it's way, it's safe to assume that we have at least 6 more characters to go before we have our finalized roster, leaving the gates wide open for speculation on who we'll be seeing next. However, you can never truly satisfy everyone and fan outcry over the current DLC offerings is probably worse now than it ever has been in previous games. I bring this up because I recently discovered an insane plot started by a group of upset Edelgard fans to attack SNK for the inclusion of Terry Bogard as the fourth DLC fighter using the following tactics:

• Disliking all videos on the SNK official youtube channel.
  • Review bombing SNK games on MetaCritic and other review sites.
  • Disconnecting from online matches against anyone playing as Terry.
  • Sending SNK's official Twitter angry messages disapproving of their "shilling" towards Nintendo.

Words can not describe just how sad and pathetic I find this behavior. I get that Smash Bros. has a very passionate fan base, but this kind of outcry over a character's inclusion even though there's still plenty of time for other characters to make the roster is just baffling.

I really don't get it. No character is entitled any spot. I was angry for Joker because 2 atlus rep are unlikely and i wanted a different one, but it's not like Atlus needed to be represented in the first place. 

Everyone has their own pet character that they wanted(mine are Dante as a third party and paper mario or another mario rpg character as a first party) it's impossible to please everyone. 

Also, this proves how ignorant most gamers are. Everyone that has a passable knowledge of videogames history knew that SNK has been the king of coin ops for decades. How is that not worthy of smash? 

laughable

metacritic is the place you MUST stay away from if you consider yourself a sane person, and i think even development teams know this, so i wouldn't really care about it too much

for what concerns the other problems, they're just a bunch of braindead whiny 5 years old kids, their actions are as significative as the dust under my bed

Edited by Yexin

2 hours ago, Etheus said:

I find review bombing contemptible in general.

One day, we may lose user reviews on relevant platforms entirely, and it will be because of this exact behavior. Our abuse of the tool has rendered it invalid.

Yeah, it is. Astral Chain got review bombed by butthurt Playstation fanboys because it's Switch exclusive. It's ridiculous immature behavior and I don't get why anyone does it.

Just as this behavior about Terry Bogard is too. I'd never heard of him before the announcement, or his series, and I don't like that the DLC has been all third parties when there are still very well deserving first party characters that should be in first, but I'm not going to act shitty about it.

Edited by Anacybele

Me, I'm happy with anybody who makes it in to Smash Ultimate. I personally think that Terry was a good choice. I don't understand why people are upset over other characters getting in, like I know people like Edelgard for smash and I'm included in there, but I would be happy with anyone.

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, it is. Astral Chain got review bombed by butthurt Playstation fanboys because it's Switch exclusive. It's ridiculous immature behavior and I don't get why anyone does it.

Just as this behavior about Terry Bogard is too. I'd never heard of him before the announcement, or his series, and I don't like that the DLC has been all third parties when there are still very well deserving first party characters that should be in first, but I'm not going to act shitty about it.

The same happened to Three Houses for various trivial reasons including Switch exclusivity, and that is disgusting because Three Houses is a masterpiece.

3 minutes ago, Etheus said:

The same happened to Three Houses for various trivial reasons including Switch exclusivity, and that is disgusting because Three Houses is a masterpiece.

Yeah, that is disgusting. I agree that TH is a masterpiece. And I remember hearing that other butthurt Playstation fanboys wanted Pokemon Sword/Shield ported too. What's with these stupid people? FE and Pokemon have always been Nintendo exclusive and always will be. Why would that ever change and why would they ever expect it to? 😕

Also, there has to be exclusives for a console. That's what mainly will get people to buy it.

Edited by Anacybele

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, that is disgusting. I agree that TH is a masterpiece. And I remember hearing that other butthurt Playstation fanboys wanted Pokemon Sword/Shield ported too. What's with these stupid people? FE and Pokemon have always been Nintendo exclusive and always will be. Why would that ever change and why would they ever expect it to? 😕

Also, there has to be exclusives for a console. That's what mainly will get people to buy it.

Most of my favorite games of all time are exclusives to one console, and I credit their quality entirely to the platform holder being willing to use them as loss leaders.

And exclusivity is a much better price to pay than microtransactions. It leaves the integrity of the game's design intact.

1 minute ago, Etheus said:

Most of my favorite games of all time are exclusives to one console, and I credit their quality entirely to the platform holder being willing to use them as loss leaders.

And exclusivity is a much better price to pay than microtransactions. It leaves the integrity of the game's design intact.

Same here. Most of my favorites are from Nintendo. And yeah, it's definitely better than microtransactions.

3 hours ago, TheGoodHoms said:

I bring this up because I recently discovered an insane plot started by a group of upset Edelgard fans to attack SNK for the inclusion of Terry

Wow these people are making a lot of premature assumptions. They assume Edelgard had a shot to begin with. 

This would hinge on

-The next dlc fighters not being third party
-The next dlc fighter being from Fire Emblem despite the already large representation
-The next dlc fighter being from Fire Emblem Three Houses
-The next dlc fighter actually being Edelgard instead of Byleth. 
-The next fighter would have been Edelgard if she hadn't been maliciously blocked by Tery. 

Its possibly Edelgard could indeed be in the cards but its equally possible that Sakurai never even considered her. 

What the? xD This is ridiculous, fire emblem are the least to complain about anything in smash along with Pokemon fans. Even as one who likes fire emblem I think we have more than enough. Of course I would be happy with Edelgard, but I talk with quite a few people who don't like Fire Emblem and there are a lots of gamers who would be mad with an additional Fire Emblem character. Even if its well deserved.

I read some article about Sakurai and interestingly he got one inspiration for Smash while playing King of Fighters 95. He realized that Fighting games are difficult to get into and that smash is an answer for this. At least from what I understood. So even there KoF has quite an influence.

Also thanks to smash some of us got to know Fire Emblem, so why can other games not do the same..Welp enough. xD I also see it as some minority which needs to learn to think outside of their world. Overall I like to have more characters from different games while we are at it. 

3 hours ago, TheGoodHoms said:

I bring this up because I recently discovered an insane plot started by a group of upset Edelgard fans to attack SNK for the inclusion of Terry Bogard as the fourth DLC fighter using the following tactics:

Are you sure this isn't some tiny group of nobodies? And by "tiny" I mean like 10 people max. I know things like this can happen but it just sounds extra ridiculous. Where did you find out about this?

2 hours ago, Flere210 said:

Also, this proves how ignorant most gamers are. Everyone that has a passable knowledge of videogames history knew that SNK has been the king of coin ops for decades. How is that not worthy of smash? 

People IRL find history boring as is. What makes you think that they'll be interested in video game history? 😛

And, video games have so many genres, and now span multiple decades. Why would someone interested primarily in say modern JRPGs, have any interest in Fighting games from the 90s? Why, I'd bet a large portion of modern FPS players would snore away if you tried lecturing them about Quake.

Nothing in video games requires you understand the past. You can be a player living entirely in the present, who if asked on the street, might place the original Donkey Kong as being contemporaneous with Final Fantasy VII and we know which has aged better.

24 minutes ago, Florete said:

Are you sure this isn't some tiny group of nobodies? And by "tiny" I mean like 10 people max. I know things like this can happen but it just sounds extra ridiculous. Where did you find out about this?

I agree completely that this is just the machinations of a very small group of people. I found out about this while I was browsing for reactions to the last Smash Bros. updates on different gaming forums and social media sites. Though most of what I've seen about this crazy operation is people reacting to how stupid it is rather than acting in support of it. Still, I feel that talking about this kind of stuff helps keeps normal fans like us grounded in reality. You have to be able to recognize unrealistic fan behavior to better avoid falling into it yourself.

Edited by TheGoodHoms

24 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And, video games have so many genres, and now span multiple decades. Why would someone interested primarily in say modern JRPGs, have any interest in Fighting games from the 90s? Why, I'd bet a large portion of modern FPS players would snore away if you tried lecturing them about Quake.

Nothing in video games requires you understand the past. You can be a player living entirely in the present, who if asked on the street, might place the original Donkey Kong as being contemporaneous with Final Fantasy VII and we know which has aged better.

Sometimes I find it a shame that its that way. xD I find Video Game history pretty interesting.

For example I wondered, why Star Ocean and Tales of Series are so similar in Gameplay aspects. And that was no coincident, because at some point the team which worked on Tales of Phantasia splitted and the people who split founded Tri-Ace. So they kind of got the idea from building on Tales of Phantasia and Made Star Ocean. They also had contact to Motoi Sakuraba who was the composer for both games..

Another example is Quintet, which had people from Nihon Falcom from Ys, they made games like Illusion of Times, Soul Blazer and Terranigma..

So sometimes thinking about how game studios work and how things happened can be nice to know.
Trials of Mana same example. I always see those people who think that Square-Enix is an entire entity which makes decisions on which games will be made. I often find people writing about Chrono Trigger in this case. (Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana have been the same Project which has been split into two, so its not entirely wrong to think about it.).
But as for the newer Mana games there is a Person behind this who wants to revive Seiken Densetsu and seems to succeed at it, which is completely missed out from them. At what kind of point he got to get more budget from Square-Enix for further Seiken Densetsu games.. He has to proof to them that he can do it. 

So its not just like Square-Enix saying, oh we want to make a Seiken Densetsu game again. Lets make it. No there is a Director who is a fan of the Series and needed to proof to the People up from him that Seiken Densetsu projects are worth a certain amount of Budget. Which he did quite well starting with Rise of Mana.

Of course the danger is to interpret too much in some things, but that is what interviews are for..we don't get all insights though. Lots of processes we cannot see unless we are there..

And overall yeah, Games should be meant for people to start in easily without thinking about all those things. I just find it not to nice about Smash newcomers getting boo'd only because some don't know their values. And that some People are thinking that certain Regions are more entitled than others for their favorite characters.. In my Region unless you are a fighting gamer you won't know much of KoF. Dragon Quest is also pretty unknown for many gamers here, even if Akira Toriyama made the character design. And while its fair not to have much attachment I like to see at least some degree of thoughtfulness that certain characters have their rights to be in the game even if you don't know about them. Also that no matter how many characters are coming that some people having the shorter stick..

Edited by Stroud

20 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

People IRL find history boring as is. What makes you think that they'll be interested in video game history? 😛

Because smash is an hall of fame if videogame history. If you see a charcter you don't know you should google them and check an article, not from Kotaku if possible. They would not bring in a literal who.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

HA! Anyone who thinks history is boring never studied the Punic Wars!⚔️🏛️

1 hour ago, Faustino said:

Are you certain those are Edelgard fans attacking Terry’s inclusion in Smash and not Waluigi fans? Because I find that really hard to believe.

I highly doubt it's the Waluigi fans, they seem like the type that would be furious if another fire emblem character made the roster. However, I do think that this is a small minority of Edelgard fans not representative of the larger fanbase. It happens all the time.

8 minutes ago, TheGoodHoms said:

HA! Anyone who thinks history is boring never studied the Punic Wars!⚔️🏛️

I highly doubt it's the Waluigi fans, they seem like the type that would be furious if another fire emblem character made the roster. However, I do think that this is a small minority of Edelgard fans not representative of the larger fanbase. It happens all the time.

I think you misunderstood his point. He wasn't really referencing Edelgard not getting in. He was saying that Walluigi fans are the type to backlash if anyone other than Walluigi gets in. They have no chill, and they did infamously send poor Sakurai death threats.

7 minutes ago, Etheus said:

I think you misunderstood his point. He wasn't really referencing Edelgard not getting in. He was saying that Walluigi fans are the type to backlash if anyone other than Walluigi gets in. They have no chill, and they did infamously send poor Sakurai death threats.

I remember that fiasco all too well. It's pretty much the point in the Smash community where it all went from bad to worse in terms of character obsession. Also thanks for clarifying that comment for me, I am most appreciative.

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Same here. Most of my favorites are from Nintendo. And yeah, it's definitely better than microtransactions.

Nintendo and Sony here, with my notable games being Fire Emblem, Smash Bros, God of War, and Persona.

Lots of epic and emotional moments in the story driven Sony exclusives in particular, and I do believe I'll remember that father and son journey in God of War for years to come.