Smash Bros. DLC Fan Backlash

TheGoodHoms

Wait, we don't even know that the plans are for the next 5 right? They could be doing Nintendo characters for it and we'd thus get a different set to what we've gotten here. I know I'd have loved to have seen some others get in, but that's not my call (otherwise no Incineroar).

These people are not going to get any change like this, smh.

44 minutes ago, TheGoodHoms said:

I highly doubt it's the Waluigi fans, they seem like the type that would be furious if another fire emblem character made the roster. However, I do think that this is a small minority of Edelgard fans not representative of the larger fanbase. It happens all the time.

What Etheus said sums it up. Forgive me if I wasn’t specific enough.

38 minutes ago, Etheus said:

I think you misunderstood his point. He wasn't really referencing Edelgard not getting in. He was saying that Walluigi fans are the type to backlash if anyone other than Walluigi gets in. They have no chill, and they did infamously send poor Sakurai death threats.

They went too far with those death threats. 

It is, as it has always been, utterly pathetic. It's one thing to bitch and moan about a character being in the game that you don't like. I'd do the same for Tracer or Sora or Minecraft Steve.

It's something else entirely to take time out of your day to make your dislike known by downvoting and review bombing everything possible related to the thing you don't like and threatening people.

Edited by Slumber

Vote-bombing has always been the dumbest form of protest on the internet.  Same goddamn bullshit as the review-bombing users did on Metacritic for FE:TH.  It's why no one trusts user reviews on Metacritic.

And I mean... I don't give a crap about SNK - I mostly play Tekken and Soul Calibur as my primary fighting games.  But I also don't see this as an affront to the FE fandom or Edelgard.  One because FE already has, like, 7 fighters representing Smash, on top of the spirits, the stickers, the assist trophies, and the costumes the series has representing it in Smash.  And two because if you look anywhere that contains FE discussions, you'll almost certainly see busy discussions about Edelgard.

Now, as to whether or not SNK is an appropriate/proper game to represent Smash... well, I wouldn't know.  But I will say that if games like Metal Gear or Undertale could get representation in Smash, then just about anything can so long as it isn't too much legal trouble.  I'd simply be grateful it was an actual goddamn video character instead of someone/something that sucks and has virtually nothing to do with video games like, say, a real-world politician.  That'd be the day Smash truly died.  I say this knowing that Smash already has politicians in the form of the Animal Crossing villager.

Edited by Ertrick36

So how does the review bombing work? Is it set up so anyone can review as many times as they want or is it one review per device/IP address? If it's the former I think the problem can be curbed by changing to the latter, in theory, but then they'll just set up bots to do it. At the end of the day they're wasting their time and it's pathetic.

19 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

So how does the review bombing work? Is it set up so anyone can review as many times as they want or is it one review per device/IP address? If it's the former I think the problem can be curbed by changing to the latter, in theory, but then they'll just set up bots to do it. At the end of the day they're wasting their time and it's pathetic.

Usually it's just a throwaway email adress. 

___

Anyways, I've never gotten why people get so emotional over games, to the point where they would go out and smash their Xbox 360s and PS3s in the streets. Review bombing is one thing, but why would you waste that much money. 

29 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

Anyways, I've never gotten why people get so emotional over games

In most cases, they cause a stink for the attention.  And given that we've seen literally life-threatening viral trends make the rounds causing teens to actually nearly get themselves killed, I wouldn't put it past people to waste money smashing a $300 console for the attention.  Hell, I watched someone bury their own head in a box of cement - knowing it could get him killed - and he still freaked out when he was starting to lose air and have his head be crushed by the cement.  If there are people who'd do shit like that, there are people who'll literally do anything to garner attention.

Those who are genuinely emotional, though?  They probably don't have much in the way of things that make them happy beyond games.  Either games are the only thing that make them happy or they genuinely have nothing to do but play games.  It's like when you get super addicted to just about anything.  That becomes the only thing you look forward to in life, at the expense of all else.  Which is why it's so sad and pathetic.

Either way, it's not worth one's time to fret over them.

1 hour ago, Dragoncat said:

Unless it's YouTube, people never use their normal accounts.

Chances are they just use old email addresses, though some are a bit more savvy and use bots.  There's usually some form of organization though, and you'll probably find such in a Discord server or some wasteland of a forum.  These efforts don't often garner more than maybe 100 people if it's a particularly big deal (which I don't think Edelgard's absence from Smash is, as much as I like her), they usually are, like, 20-30 people strong.  It's why people say they're a "vocal minority", it's because that's how small they usually are and the fact that a bunch of other people end up talking about them constitutes the "vocal" part.

Either way, if there's a statement of intent somewhere online, then the whole point is rendered moot.  The idea is to disrupt normal operations and make people think there's a bigger stink than there actually is, but if you can know right from the get-go it's an organized effort then people will see it for what it is and ignore it.  Chances are this thread (and other threads like it throughout the net) will go on for maybe a week at most and then people will start forgetting all about it.  The only thing people ever remember from these kinds of issues is death threats, if they exist.

I'm mainly a Nintendo fan but I honestly find having more franchises in the game fun. Though I was lucky and my most wanted character (Joker because I've been obsessed with Persona for about a year now) got in. I'm still hoping Chrono could get in.

12 hours ago, Stroud said:

I read some article about Sakurai and interestingly he got one inspiration for Smash while playing King of Fighters 95. He realized that Fighting games are difficult to get into and that smash is an answer for this. At least from what I understood. So even there KoF has quite an influence.

The characters receiving letters to join Smash is also from KOF, not to mention some mechanics like short hoping being an offensive tool, having dodge rolls and step dodges are also very KOF.