FE6 Repaletted

Saint Rubenio

FE6: Repaletted!

17izpppy_o.pngMRdTwazM_o.pngE6xs2Rr5_o.pngfmp7wqwX_o.png2cgxcEf0_o.pngWwmcD08r_o.png

It was always a pet peeve of mine that only like five bosses in FE6 had their own color palettes, and everyone else used generic enemy colors. For all four of you out there who have always wanted this, your dream is now a reality.

There are palettes in the game itself for a few early bosses (Damas, Ruud, Slater, Erik, Dory and Debias), but in a display of sheer brilliance by the developers, they're assigned to the characters' promoted versions (which, of course, are never seen, as they're all unpromoted bosses when fought). This small mod properly implements those palettes and adds some original ones for bosses that don't have any. It also modifies a bunch of player character palettes to better fit their portraits or to address oddities.

For those who play with animations off, this mod also replaces the earlygame music that inexplicably returns in chapters 15, 16 and 17A. Chapters 15 and 16 now have the Western Isles music, and chapter 17A has the Ilia / Sacae music.

This mod makes no changes to the gameplay.

Apply the patch to a clean FE6 ROM with NUPS or a similar program.

Other than that, please let me know if the mod breaks horribly or if I've missed a palette somewhere or anything else. This is my first (and probably only) mod, and while I'm fairly certain that it should work well, I haven't played through the entire game.

BUGS:

- IMPORTANT the preparations screen doesn't come up in chapters 15, 16 and 17A. I don't know how to fix it, so I suggest this: keep a ROM with just Gringe's translation handy. Import your save file from the ROM with my mod to that one. Do your preparations in the "unmodded" ROM, start the chapter, and suspend. Then go back to the modded ROM and import the save with the preparations done. Keep a save state at the start of the chapter so you don't have to do it all over again should you have to reset. DON'T just save in the preparations screen and then import the save, that'll mess with the initial formation. The whole process shouldn't take more than five minutes each time. I wish I could solve this issue, but with my very limited knowledge, this quickfix is the best I can do. Not anymore!

- Minor visual glitches with the portraits of Scott, Guerrero, Maggie, Rose and one of the generic villagers. I have no idea where they come from, but it's nothing too big. Fixed!

NOTES:

- Due to space limitations, Sigune and Guerrero use palettes belonging to playable units (Shanna and Garret, respectively). They suit them very well. Not anymore!

- Wagner and Peres have the same palette, as do Erik and Roberts and Kel and Maggie. For the first two pairs, this doesn't cause any problems, but Maggie's sprite has some very minor glitches. Nothing too horrible or distracting, and the palette fits his portrait otherwise. Not anymore!

EDIT: I've updated the patch, for all four of you out there who care about it! I wasn't satisfied with the palettes I made. They felt a little too dark and dim, compared to FE6's bright, high-contrast palettes. I've remade all of them, comparing them to ingame palettes to try and make them as faithful to the game's style as possible. If you liked the old ones better, though, the first patch is still up for download.

EDIT: Third update! I'm hoping this is the last one. I've made some minor changes to a few of the palettes, and added one for Scollan, after I discovered that Slater and Debias's palettes are identical, so I could use one of their slots for Scollan. Now the only boss that could use a personal palette is Maggie. I've played around with a few ideas, but I can't really think of anything, so the brown outline will stay. Eh, I think it's a pretty good result.

EDIT: Fourth update! Okay, now for real, last update. I just made a few tweaks to a few palettes that didn't quite satisfy me. Now that I've played through the game, I think I can safely say that all the palettes are to my liking. Expect no more updates. Thank you, all four of you following this.

EDIT: Fifth update! Scroll down for details.

EDIT: Sixth update!

EDIT: Yeah seven.

EDIT: I have eight, do I have nine?

EDIT: Yeah, I do.

EDIT: Big ten, baby!

EDIT: This really has to be the end, c'mon.

EDIT: Yeah pretty sure this is it.

Version 1

Version 2

Version 3

Version 4

Version 5

Version 6

Version 7

Version 8

Version 9

Version 10

Version 11

Edited by Saint Rubenio
V12

Hey, all four of you who are following the patch! Is it too pretentious to believe that there's four? Well, in any case, the patch has been updated. Check the OP for the new download link, and details on the new version, as well as shiny new pictures!

20 hours ago, Pengaius said:

Add the death portraits Ruben, make the player feel bad. 

Not sure I could fit 80~ more portraits into the game, to be honest. But it'd be neat.

Anyway, third update! Check the OP for details and links!

Edited by Saint Rubenio

One patch to rule them all... now you only need to make a hack my man (also I'm actually confused as to why you chose Windham instead of Oro for a screenshot, or why you didn't include Morgan). Btw, there's four of us counting yourself so far.

Edited by Goddess Serra

1 hour ago, Goddess Serra said:

One patch to rule them all... now you only need to make a hack my man

Hah! Thanks, man. I wouldn't go that far, but I appreciate the kind words. This was meant for personal use first and foremost, but I figured, if just a couple of people out there would want to use it, I might as well release it.

As for a full-blown hack, well... I do dream of making my own videogame, someday. One day, perhaps...

also I'm actually confused as to why you chose Windham instead of Oro for a screenshot, or why you didn't include Morgan

I didn't want to waste too much time getting screenshots, so I just grabbed some of my old savestates from my LP and rushed a unit to the boss of each chapter I could access. Orlo and Morgan would've both taken too long to get to, I would've had to beat full chapters to get to them (hence, Zinque and Nord instead of them). Would've wanted to show those two off, honestly, I like their palettes, but I think the ones I got on display are good too. Although, I do worry that Arcardo looks a bit too much like Seth and Perceval, that manchild should be closer to Makalov.

Btw, there's four of us counting yourself so far.

Woo! That's more than I expected!

All right, folks. Update 4! Check the OP for details. I'm fairly certain that this is the last one. I know I said that last time, but believe me. This time, I've actually played through the game, so I've fixed the few palettes that I didn't like. Other than that, I think it's finished. All four of you who have been following this, thanks.

6 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

All right, folks. Update 4! Check the OP for details. I'm fairly certain that this is the last one. I know I said that last time, but believe me. This time, I've actually played through the game, so I've fixed the few palettes that I didn't like. Other than that, I think it's finished. All four of you who have been following this, thanks.

Does Maggie have a palette in version 4? Though thinking about, I can check for myself later.

Edited by Emperor Hardin

6 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Does Maggie have a palette in version 4? Though thinking about, I can check for myself later.

He still uses Kel's palette. There's really no more space for him that I could find, and the glitches are minor enough that I think it's a fair compromise. If you want to suggest something different, though, I can push another last update.

Well, it's been a while. Had completely forgotten I'd done this. I've been toying with the idea of starting up a new run of this game, but beforehand, I decided to touch up the ROM a bit, make a couple edits. I changed the music in chapters 15 and 16 to the Western Isles music, restored the unused boss palettes, nothing much else.

Then I remembered "hey I did do that thing didn't I", and that's how we got an update to this, four years later.

Changelog

• Updated patch to the latest version of Gringe's localization. I also took the liberty of fixing a few typos that were reported on the localization's thread that haven't been addressed yet, and update Garret's name to Garrett (as per a mention in Heroes) because I like it slightly better.
  • I used FEBuilder this time, like a sane person. This means I don't have limited palette slots to work with, and the inexplicable glitches shouldn't be a thing anymore.
  • As a result of this, Maggie finally has his own palette! Only took 'em 4 years. It's very similar to the old one, it's just not glitched out due to being shared with a swordmaster.

Introducing: Playable palette tweaks!

1U4AuzMa_o.pngi2A4qG0Z_o.png

I always hated the horrid baby blue on Igrene and sniper!Dorothy's sprites, so I changed it. From there, I went over all the playable characters' palettes and touched up a number of them. Pictured are a couple of notable examples. Not every palette has been tweaked, nor are all the tweaks this major. I'll leave the rest up to you to discover, if anyone does get around to using this patch.

That's about it. This was never the world's most groundbreaking hack, exactly, and as before, I mostly did this for personal use, but hey. Get some use out of this if you'd like!

UPDATED LINK IS IN THE OP

Very small update, I just slightly modified Zelot and Treck's palettes. Since Cath's cloak cannot be changed to a color that isn't brown without turning her into a zombie, I think this may be the last update. Hopefully.

Actually see, I lied. I reached Lilina and realized I wasn't convinced about her palette, so I slightly tweaked it. Gwen's, too, and then a few more. So uh. Yeah.

>Clean palette variety in bosses

>Removes Roy's Journey from after Chapter 8

>Was originally released in 2019 and came back

Well that's cool, didn't realise this was what it was until now. That's a nice mod of BB.

Okay, for once, an important update. V9 fixes a glitch I thought was already fixed! Turns out the odd colors in the bandits' portraits were still present. I checked and it turns out they're also in my vanilla ROM. Obtained a new ROM, same thing. Seems those guys have green mouths in vanilla. And here I thought it was Nightmare messing with them. How do I have no memory of this?

Either way, I have now fixed their portraits' palettes so it doesn't look like they're chewing toothpaste anymore. I have also ascertained that the prepscreen glitch is not a thing in the new version after all (it isn't, the prepscreen values were set to 0 in the old versions, stupid Nightmare) and tweaked a few more palettes. Particularly Murdock's. With everyone else I tried to make them more faithful to their portraits, but with him I went for a Cool palette. He's Murdock, he deserves better than being a Legance lookalike.

6 hours ago, Punished Dayni said:

>Clean palette variety in bosses

>Removes Roy's Journey from after Chapter 8

>Was originally released in 2019 and came back

Well that's cool, didn't realise this was what it was until now. That's a nice mod of BB.

Pretty much. Since I started a new FE6 run, I picked it up again. It's actually made me realize it really had been four years since my last FE6 run (though I did play Project Ember in the meantime, I guess that's why it didn't feel like such a long time). My hacking skills are better now, so the mod's a lot less of a hodgepodge for what it is. It doesn't glitch out three chapters' prepscreens, for one.

I should clarify in the new versions, Ilia's first chapter does still have Roy's Journey. The map is pathetic and the main Etrurian conflict is over, with the exception of the two amigos still hanging on for dear life. Figured it was okay here. That's as much of an allowance as I'm willing to make, though - It has no business coming back for Chapter Douglas, of all chapters.

I should've changed Merlinus's face for the smug LP edit every time he's wrong without saying anything

I have spent the better part of the night bashing my head against the stupidity that is the warrior and female thief palettes. Had to redo the entire animation's color scheme just to color Cath's cloak white. Yeesh. So anyway yeah, yada yada update time.

When I finally wrap this up I've got to update the OP screenshots lol. Surely at this point I can't find much else to tinker with. I've touched up almost everyone's palettes at this point. Should be done soon enough.

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I should clarify in the new versions, Ilia's first chapter does still have Roy's Journey. The map is pathetic and the main Etrurian conflict is over, with the exception of the two amigos still hanging on for dear life. Figured it was okay here.

>Me

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Pretty much. Since I started a new FE6 run, I picked it up again. It's actually made me realize it really had been four years since my last FE6 run (though I did play Project Ember in the meantime, I guess that's why it didn't feel like such a long time). My hacking skills are better now, so the mod's a lot less of a hodgepodge for what it is. It doesn't glitch out three chapters' prepscreens, for one.

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Okay, for once, an important update. V9 fixes a glitch I thought was already fixed! Turns out the odd colors in the bandits' portraits were still present. I checked and it turns out they're also in my vanilla ROM. Obtained a new ROM, same thing. Seems those guys have green mouths in vanilla. And here I thought it was Nightmare messing with them. How do I have no memory of this?

Interesting getting some of these insights.

As to the latter, considering they only open up during crits, you wouldn't see it that often (Right?), thus the rarity.

7 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Had to redo the entire animation's color scheme just to color Cath's cloak white.

Never noticed that before with her.

Says a lot about me looking at the official art.

>Me

It's your punishment for going to Ilia like a coward instead of braving Sacae like a masochist

As to the latter, considering they only open up during crits, you wouldn't see it that often (Right?), thus the rarity.

It's not their battle sprites, it's their portraits. When they open their mouths, there's these stray green pixels that look awful. Somehow I have no memory of this even though it seems to have been a thing in vanilla and I've played this game a million times. There's also a civilian with a misplaced mouth frame, but I took care of that too.

Never noticed that before with her.

Says a lot about me looking at the official art.

To be fair, there is room to doubt that anybody has ever used Cath in combat before. It would be easy to miss that her sprite looks nothing like her. Not that it's the only one, anyway, there's a ton of color inconsistencies in this games. Though somehow, the only one that ever bothered me was that Lilina's blue cloak and the female snipers' baby blue gear.

I went ahead and fixed the paladin handaxe animation. By fixed, I mean I ported the FE7 version where the rider actually grabs the handaxe back when it returns. I also made an attempt at adding the druid and sage critical sounds, but for reasons beyond my comprehension the druid crit sound only worked when they were wielding Apocalypse. As for the sage... uhhh...

4rWp7SG6_o.gif

...Yeah, I think I'd better leave it as it.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

As for the sage... uhhh...

4rWp7SG6_o.gif

...Yeah, I think I'd better leave it as it.

If you ask me it's the perfect image of magic warping reality.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I also made an attempt at adding the druid and sage critical sounds, but for reasons beyond my comprehension the druid crit sound only worked when they were wielding Apocalypse.

Odd. Could it be the crit noises are treated separately for the other dark tomes?

Been a while, huh. Last, and final, update. Just did a couple minor tweaks, I'm satisfied with how everyone looks now. Also, finally got around to updating the OP images lol