Jump to content
Perkilator

Byleth, Edelgard, or neither?

Who's more likely, in your opinion?  

44 members have voted

  1. 1. Who's more likely, in your opinion?

    • Byleth
      14
    • Edelgard
      16
    • Neither
      14


Recommended Posts

When TH came out, I was expecting Spirits and Mii Costumes at best, since it wasn't confirmed at the time that DLC would go beyond the Fighter's Pass. However, what we got instead was a Spirit event for Mother's 30th anniversary; no TH-related content anywhere.

This leads me to believe that a TH character is going to be part of the post-pass DLC. Who do you think is more likely? Byleth, Edelgard or neither?

Personally, I'm placing my bets on Byleth, since he's not only the most unique avatar in the series, but also a general candidate for a unique FE rep, what with Brawling, Faith magic, the Crest of Flames, Battalions, and the Sword of the goddamn CREATOR!

(Please forgive my fanboying)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would prefer Edelgard. Having this awesome, attractive female heavy with an axe would be quite unlike anything else Smash has to offer. It might even stop large portions of the Smash community from sneering at the thought of more FE characters. 

 

The only character I could see having a potentially better impact is Claude, and that's only if he comes with his wyvern.

 

Byleth would just be more of the same, even if he has a custom moveset, and would further the franchise's bad perception in Smash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Blyeth would be chosen as the rep for Three Houses despite the Smash Bros fandom having a phobia of swords. If this was base roster I could see both Blyeth and Edelgard being picked like Robin and Lucina but for DLC I believe Blyeth will win out because Sakurai tends to pick the character that you the player have control of most of the time. Besides, there are plenty of unique ways you could make Blyeth different from the other Fire Emblem characters with his whip sword, gauntlets, battalions and time pulse abilities and you know Sakurai will try to incorporate as many of Three Houses' game mechanics into whoever got picked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NSSKG151 said:

I think Blyeth would be chosen as the rep for Three Houses despite the Smash Bros fandom having a phobia of swords. If this was base roster I could see both Blyeth and Edelgard being picked like Robin and Lucina but for DLC I believe Blyeth will win out because Sakurai tends to pick the character that you the player have control of most of the time. Besides, there are plenty of unique ways you could make Blyeth different from the other Fire Emblem characters with his whip sword, gauntlets, battalions and time pulse abilities and you know Sakurai will try to incorporate as many of Three Houses' game mechanics into whoever got picked.

I think you're misreading Sakurai's development style. He is big on references, but the series has actually not been all that big on complicated mechanics. Byleth wouldn't be this whip swording, spell slinging, battalion commanding, gauntlet punching maniac. He'd more likely pick a 1 or 2 core concepts and build around those. So with Byleth, he'd be almost entirely whip sword with maybe some battalion or magical mechanics.

 

A good example is Joker. Persona is an incredibly deep RPG series with a monster selection of comparable complexity to Pokemon, and Joker capitalizes on that through Wildcard. But in Smash, wildcard is nowhere to be seen. Sakurai simplified his design around a single Persona, and that Persona isn't even a constant mechanic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Yexin said:

no

just, no

This. Fire Emblem is over-represented as it is (even more so with Chrom's addition), we don't need any more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Etheus said:

I think you're misreading Sakurai's development style. He is big on references, but the series has actually not been all that big on complicated mechanics. Byleth wouldn't be this whip swording, spell slinging, battalion commanding, gauntlet punching maniac. He'd more likely pick a 1 or 2 core concepts and build around those. So with Byleth, he'd be almost entirely whip sword with maybe some battalion or magical mechanics.

 

A good example is Joker. Persona is an incredibly deep RPG series with a monster selection of comparable complexity to Pokemon, and Joker capitalizes on that through Wildcard. But in Smash, wildcard is nowhere to be seen. Sakurai simplified his design around a single Persona, and that Persona isn't even a constant mechanic.

I mean, of course Blyeth would be using their sword for the majority of their attacks. But I would imagine down special would be a counter attack based on Time Pulse (wouldn't be surprised if it was ripped from Shulk's special counter) and their final smash would probably be Blyeth ordering a battalion to attack the enemy. Even gauntlets could be used for one attack, like a charging side special that works similar to Ike's side special.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fire emblem need more replacing than new charactes because it already has too many, but the character themselves are an horrible representation. As no replace will happen untill the next smash, at least i want a non swordsman no matter who 

Edited by Flere210

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not even objecting on the basis of "too many FE characters". Because in my opinion the existing representation is pretty awful. Just putting the main or avatar character in the game when they don't define the game or franchise. It's the equivalent of every Pokemon fighter they choose being a starter pokemon. They're very familiar to us but not unique. Since 1990, Fire Emblem has had shapeshifting characters, fliers, and horsefighters. All things that don't just appear in any generic RPG, and Corrin is our only taste of one of those categories. Robin is another great design since he references actual game mechanics with his durability system. That's it. Two out of seven feel worthwhile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, it wouldn't be so bad if FE would take a note from DQ and just turn all of these Echoes into costumes.

 

We don't need 4(!) different versions of Marth, and little things like sweetspot placement do not matter to the average Smash player. Even just using the three freed up spaces to add in Claude, Edelgard, and Dimitri would do wonders for the series' representation and reputation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Well, it wouldn't be so bad if FE would take a note from DQ and just turn all of these Echoes into costumes.

Is that simple really. My hope is that this is what will happen whit the next smash.

All the rapierfriends + Lucina into Marth, Hector and Chrom into Ike. Problem solved.

Edited by Flere210

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Which one do I think is more likely? Good question.

Byleth:

Byleth's whip-sword brings plenty to the table, as does their fist-fighting and white magic. Being the main protagonist also gives them points in terms of likelihood. The thing that reduces their likelihood is that everything Byleth has available has been done before: fist & sword is done by Ike, sword & magic is done by Robin, and whip-like attacks is done by the Belmonts. Another issue is that, despite the sword in question being a whip-sword, Byleth would be yet another FE swordsman, and a lot of people are tired of FE swordsmen. 

Edelgard:

Edelgard is basically the mascot of Three Houses; appearing in the trailers more often than Byleth. She also brings axes to the table, which is completely unseen among FE fighters. The points against her are that many fans who prefer Dimitri or Claude would feel disappointed or feel like Edelgard, and by extension the Black Eagles route, is getting unfair favouritism. 

Ultimately (pun not intended), I don't think either one is more likely than the other. 

As for which one I would prefer, definitely Edelgard. 

Edited by vanguard333

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think Byleth would be chosen solely on the basis of being the player character. Robin was chosen for being more interesting than Chrom and Corrin was chosen to promote Fates since they are the main protagonist and were marketed pretty heavily. Byleth could still get in, but I don’t think they have the same kind of advantages.

Personally, I’ll just be done with Smash if we see another sword-wielding male default Fire Emblem avatar get in. So while I can’t say which is more likely, I 100% want Edelgard more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't be against the idea of any of them being in, but I voted "Neither" on the poll because there are more than 20 characters I'd rather see over them.

If I had to choose one or the other, I'd go Edelgard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I don't really want either. At this point Fire Emblem is already incredibly well represented. Its time for other series to get some love. 

"incredibly well represented"

if you're talking about pure quantity of characters, yes

if you mean series overall representation, absolutely not

10 hours ago, Flere210 said:

Hector and Chrom into Ike.

they wouldn't fit into ike's movest, like, at all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2019 at 5:15 PM, Etrurian emperor said:

I don't really want either. At this point Fire Emblem is already incredibly well represented. Its time for other series to get some love. 

Yes; Fire Emblem is incredibly well represented by Marth the fencer, three Marth copies, Ike the ultimate swordsman, Robin the magic swordsman, and Corrin the dragon swordsman.

You are right in that that is a lot; even if you get rid of the three copies, that leaves four FE characters; more than Kid Icarus or Star Fox, and only two less than Legend of Zelda.

I would say that Fire Emblem is in a weird situation of being both overrepresented in numbers, but underrepresented in variety. For comparison, The Legend of Zelda has Link (a swordsman and bag of tricks), Zelda (a squishy wizard) and Ganondorf (a brawler with some magic). Fire Emblem has swordsmen, swordsmen, and more swordsmen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the best character would be Claude on his wyvern. A mediterranean/middle eastern archer with sideburns riding on a white wyvern with a red twintail beard is about as far away from the generic anime sowrdsmen you can possibly get, and I think it would do a lot to help with the Smash players' perception of the franchise. The problem is that If you shrunk his wyvern down enough to fit as a fighter model then Claude hismelf would become really really tiny, which is an issue you would have to work around. I also think Edelgard would make for a fairly good moveset. You could give her a Shulk-like Crest mechanic where you switch between the Crest of Seiros and the Crest of Flames for different buffs. She could also become a lot more mobile than your average slow heavy-hitter with a move based on Raging Storm. She also has by far the coolest Final Smash built into her thanks to her Hegemon form.

Edited by Druplesnubb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Byleth

But I'd rather neither get in and go straight for Claude. Not only would he have a drastically different appearance to the rest of the current cast but would also bring a bow centric moveset that no other FE character could pull off and is unique as whole to Smash (yeah characters like Link or Pit use bows but it's not their main way of fighting). He wouldn't even need the wyvern to stand out with all that he already has but it could still show up as part of his aerials or something.

Otherwise Dimitri would be good too. A lance would also bring something completely new for both FE and Smash characters as a whole. The closest thing to a lance's fighting style in the game would be Marth and clones with their fencing ways. Ephraim could do what he does but Dimitri is more recent so he has way better chances.

Byleth has fist, faith magic, and a neat whip sword. Has the potential to be interesting but I fear that their moveset would be too sword focused and not interesting but hopefully that doesn't end up being the case if they do show up.

Edelgard brings nothing that someone else from FE or an other franchise can't bring. In fact Dedede already has a hammer which is basically the same thing as an axe as far as I'm concerned. The only positive as far as I care is that if she gets added then maybe Hector could come as an echo fighter in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Byleth. Edelgard is one lord out of two and shines as a villain outside of her rushed route.

I don't want either honestly. Fire Emblem has enough, hate the swordies? Blame Intsys for making their most plot central characters sword wielders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/25/2019 at 5:34 PM, Seazas said:

Fire Emblem has enough, hate the swordies? Blame Intsys for making their most plot central characters sword wielders.

Ephraim and Micaiah say hi. Also, Chrom and Lucina would like to add: "Why can't we use javelins? We could use lances in our game; why can't we here? A projectile attack would really increase our usefulness..."

 

On 9/9/2019 at 8:17 PM, Florete said:

I don’t think Byleth would be chosen solely on the basis of being the player character. Robin was chosen for being more interesting than Chrom and Corrin was chosen to promote Fates since they are the main protagonist and were marketed pretty heavily. Byleth could still get in, but I don’t think they have the same kind of advantages.

Personally, I’ll just be done with Smash if we see another sword-wielding male default Fire Emblem avatar get in. So while I can’t say which is more likely, I 100% want Edelgard more.

I completely agree. Well; not completely, I wouldn't be done with Smash if it had another sword-wielding FE character get in. I would be done with Smash if, in the next game, Link is still right-handed. But that's just me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Ephraim and Micaiah say hi. Also, Chrom and Lucina would like to add: "Why can't we use javelins? We could use lances in our game; why can't we here? A projectile attack would really increase our usefulness..."

 

I completely agree. Well; not completely, I wouldn't be done with Smash if it had another sword-wielding FE character get in. I would be done with Smash if, in the next game, Link is still right-handed. But that's just me. 

Chrom and Lucina's most iconic weapons are falchions, live with it. No way in hell were they replacing that with random javelins.

Ephraim shares the spotlight with Eirika, a sword lord.

Micaiah literally gets overshadowed by Ike in popularity AND in origin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Seazas said:

Chrom and Lucina's most iconic weapons are falchions, live with it. No way in hell were they replacing that with random javelins.

Who said anything about replacing them with javelins? I was just suggesting the javelin be used for one or two attacks, like a forward tilt or an aerial attack. 

23 minutes ago, Seazas said:

Ephraim shares the spotlight with Eirika, a sword lord.

Ephraim overshadows Erika (or I've heard; I haven't played Sacred Stones). 

37 minutes ago, Seazas said:

Micaiah literally gets overshadowed by Ike in popularity AND in origin.

Ike is already in Smash. 

Anyway, none of those arguments actually matter since you said the fault lies with IS making all their central protagonists sword-wielders, when the fact is that that's not true; most central protagonists are sword-wielders, but at least three have existed that are not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Who said anything about replacing them with javelins? I was just suggesting the javelin be used for one or two attacks, like a forward tilt or an aerial attack. 

Ephraim overshadows Erika (or I've heard; I haven't played Sacred Stones). 

Ike is already in Smash. 

Anyway, none of those arguments actually matter since you said the fault lies with IS making all their central protagonists sword-wielders, when the fact is that that's not true; most central protagonists are sword-wielders, but at least three have existed that are not. 

Not happening. Their additions only happened because they were easy clones.

They share the spotlight.

And those non sword protagonists share spotlight or get overshadowed. Irrelevant. Micaiah's "central role" is overshadowed by Ike. Micaiah long lost her relevancy to get in and was never getting in over recent protags.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...