Byleth: Bows vs Reason

Gamer76252

So, I recently discovered the Gloucester Knight Battalion and how actually good it is on a mixed character. This playthrough my Byleth is using Bows, but with this Battalion being something I've been happy with on Byleth so far, I'm now considering training Reaon magic instead. So, I'm wondering what your thoughts are and, if you're siding with Reason magic, what abilities should we use? Currently, I'm probably still gonna use Enlightened One, but I am open to ideas. If you're on the side of Bows, feel free to also list an ability list if interested. I'm sure my list of: CC, Sword Lv 5, Bow Lv 5, Spd+2, Sacred Power isn't the greatest overall choice.

Outside of Bows or Reason, my plan is still to use Swords and Faith with enough Authority for our Battalion of choice, at least.

Edited by Gamer76252

If you're using Sword/Bows, you're better off changing your Byleth into an assassin. You already have Sacred Power, so there's no reason to stick in Enlightened One unless it's for the magic.

Imo just stick to Bows and become an Assassin, you can give the Gloucester Knights to Lorenz or Sylvain if you're using one of them as a Dark Knight.

I was very pleased with Holy Knight Byleth in my last run: the Terrain Nullification was useful for Black Eagle's last chapter. Dismount for 5-mov (ignoring craters and sand), or mount for 7-mov across plains and "easy" territory. +5 damage to white magic is meh, but as a spellcaster class it can use Magic just fine. Canto is absolutely amazing. I'm more or less convinced that Byleth should be a "Canto" class for endgame. Canto is the strongest ability by far, especially since it combos with Sacred Power and his 1.2x Exp personal skill.

White Magic Avoid + Faith 5 == +40% Avoid, on both player phase and enemy phase. Add on Alert Stance (Flying C) for +15 for Enemy-phase avoid (Flying A might be out of reach outside of NG+, but +30 Avoid is obviously better), and you've got a pretty good avoid tank. 3x Allies at Support A for a Linked Attack gives another +30% avoid (and those allies could be Bow Knights standing quite far away in practice)

9 hours ago, Gamer76252 said:

So, I recently discovered the Gloucester Knight Battalion and how actually good it is on a mixed character. This playthrough my Byleth is using Bows, but with this Battalion being something I've been happy with on Byleth so far, I'm now considering training Reaon magic instead. So, I'm wondering what your thoughts are and, if you're siding with Reason magic, what abilities should we use? Currently, I'm probably still gonna use Enlightened One, but I am open to ideas. If you're on the side of Bows, feel free to also list an ability list if interested. I'm sure my list of: CC, Sword Lv 5, Bow Lv 5, Spd+2, Sacred Power isn't the greatest overall choice. 

Outside of Bows or Reason, my plan is still to use Swords and Faith with enough Authority for our Battalion of choice, at least. 

Reason magic is usually better, but consider that Byleth actually has enough strength to wield those heavy White Magic tomes without suffering an AS loss. With Weight-3, you only need 25 STR to wield Nosferatsu at full speed. As such, Byleth is far better regenerating on enemy-phase constantly in my experience. Especially with White Magic Avoid +20.

Aura is 3-uses and 12 Weight (needing 45 STR + Weight-3 to wield without AS loss). With +Stat items, you might get there, but you'll probably suffer a weight loss even in endgame. Its not a lot of uses, but Byleth should be using Swords (particularly: Sword of the Creator) more often. Faith magic is primarily for killing endgame Fortress Knights and Great Knights.

I personally finished the game with Mov+1 (Riding A+), Weight -3 (Heavy Armor C), Sword5, White Magic Avoid, Faith5 on Holy Knight class.

Edited by dragontamer