990 Years to Advance...

Tediz64

So i just finished my first play thru and i came to a certain realization that i wanted to know if anyone else noticed or pondered. As i'm watching the opening cutscene on my new-game+, i see the opening date for this era is 91. 

Our characters and our story is set in the year 1980 or 1990 supposedly and a big deal in the game is put on the anniversary coming up celebrating the 1,000th year. That means to say that over 900 years have passed in this game. And one thing that stood out to me just now was the fact that the opening cut-scene had the soldiers still wearing the exact same armor, weapons, traveling via horse back, and so forth. Can we ponder that for a second?

I mean, in my life time alone, technology has advance IMO quite rapidly. Telephones use to be land lines and if you had a mobile one, it was a huge rectangle block. Now we have touch-screen technology. Our automobiles have much more cutting edge driver safety embedded into them. Our medicine science has improved as well as our understanding in all the social sciences (like psychology, sociology, and philosophy). I mean the list goes on. Our civilization has moved forward. Alot....but lets look at the fire emblem world.

...........*pausing to put a huge emphasis on this next sentence for dramatic effect*.....like holy shit, these people are not innovative at all! You mean to tell me they haven't come up with the idea of a plane? A car? They are STILL on horseback? I mean from the days of George Washington till now is less than 300 years. The Wright brothers that were credited with flying the first ever plane were born around 1860. That was less than 200 years ago! Now we have jets, stealth tech for war planes, and so forth. 

Rhea is a horrible leader! She led these people for over 900 years and they seem to still be functioning the exact same. As i walk around  monastery, i don't notice much electricity being used. I could go into more detail and discuss this more in-depth but my mind is kinda blown. Like....over 900 years! And they still don't have guns! Well, for all intents and purposes this is a game so of course it is supposed to be fictional. But wow, this is why i don't support games playing with time mechanics. Always turns out unrealistic.

Yes, before anyone points it out, from Marth's era to his descendants of Chrom and Lucina, i get that alot of time passes. Tiki should have commented on how lame their progress has been. Game companies need to stop playing with concepts like time. They fail miserably. But anyways, i digress. If anyone wants to comment on the lack of progress, let me know what you think of their technology and civilization.

8 minutes ago, Tediz64 said:

So i just finished my first play thru and i came to a certain realization that i wanted to know if anyone else noticed or pondered. As i'm watching the opening cutscene on my new-game+, i see the opening date for this era is 91. 

Our characters and our story is set in the year 1980 or 1990 supposedly and a big deal in the game is put on the anniversary coming up celebrating the 1,000th year. That means to say that over 900 years have passed in this game. And one thing that stood out to me just now was the fact that the opening cut-scene had the soldiers still wearing the exact same armor, weapons, traveling via horse back, and so forth. Can we ponder that for a second?

I mean, in my life time alone, technology has advance IMO quite rapidly. Telephones use to be land lines and if you had a mobile one, it was a huge rectangle block. Now we have touch-screen technology. Our automobiles have much more cutting edge driver safety embedded into them. Our medicine science has improved as well as our understanding in all the social sciences (like psychology, sociology, and philosophy). I mean the list goes on. Our civilization has moved forward. Alot....but lets look at the fire emblem world.

...........*pausing to put a huge emphasis on this next sentence for dramatic effect*.....like holy shit, these people are not innovative at all! You mean to tell me they haven't come up with the idea of a plane? A car? They are STILL on horseback? I mean from the days of George Washington till now is less than 300 years. The Wright brothers that were credited with flying the first ever plane were born around 1860. That was less than 200 years ago! Now we have jets, stealth tech for war planes, and so forth. 

Rhea is a horrible leader! She led these people for over 900 years and they seem to still be functioning the exact same. As i walk around  monastery, i don't notice much electricity being used. I could go into more detail and discuss this more in-depth but my mind is kinda blown. Like....over 900 years! And they still don't have guns! Well, for all intents and purposes this is a game so of course it is supposed to be fictional. But wow, this is why i don't support games playing with time mechanics. Always turns out unrealistic.

Yes, before anyone points it out, from Marth's era to his descendants of Chrom and Lucina, i get that alot of time passes. Tiki should have commented on how lame their progress has been. Game companies need to stop playing with concepts like time. They fail miserably. But anyways, i digress. If anyone wants to comment on the lack of progress, let me know what you think of their technology and civilization.

fyi, the games set in the year 1180 and 1185, not 1860.

also just a quick question, have you played black eagles/church route?

Your math’s a little off. 91+1000 is 1091, not 1980/90. 

Technology does experience huge leaps forward, but there were long stretches of time in history where things didn’t improve a whole lot. You’re assuming that the 1000 years that passed in Three Houses are the same thousand years that passed in real life. We have no idea how much time had already passed for humanity before in three houses. For all we know, 1181 in three houses could be 5000 BC for us. The leaps that have happened in the past millennia have been staggering, but that doesn’t mean those leaps happen every single millennia. 

As for Rhea, who’s to say she wants people to advance, or that she even knows how to help them? She’s a religious leader, not a scientist.

Technological progress, both the path and the pace of progression, is shaped by many factors. Like necessity, available resources, or the capability, for example.

Also... do keep in mind that our progress in the last century and a half is a bit of an outlier. Yes, lots of things made in the 20th century... but how much progress was made, say, from the 15th century to the 17th? The 8th to the 12th? In the BC era? Don't be surprised if Fodlan spends centuries with a little/slow progression. We weren't exactly speedrunning through it, either.

Also, Fodlan; and other FE continents for that matter, has things like magic. Those are bound to shake stuff like the necessity factor, after all. Or creatures like pegasi and wyverns/dragons. Countless other stuff, too.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Keep in mind it's fantasy. In a world where magic exist you don't need a lot of the progress we needed in our history. Why engineer and craft a gun when you can just say some words and shoot fire out of your finger? Why research electricity when there's "magical power" (that can btw power magical mass destruction golems)? You can tame a Pegasus, who needs a hot-air balloon?

That said, it's also explained in the game IIRC, the church tries to keep humans from advancing too much, otherwise they'd become too ambitious again and wage war against the goddess again (the war that then triggered the agarthans to go mole).

4 hours ago, GrassEater said:

fyi, the games set in the year 1180 and 1185, not 1860.

also just a quick question, have you played black eagles/church route?

No i haven't yet. But i'm glad to hear everyone's responses. I just wondered if i was the only one noticing how slow they are to progress. I guess i am being bias. But like, at least they should have come up with more efficient ways of travel.

7 minutes ago, Tediz64 said:

No i haven't yet. But i'm glad to hear everyone's responses. I just wondered if i was the only one noticing how slow they are to progress. I guess i am being bias. But like, at least they should have come up with more efficient ways of travel.

It's actually answered by the game, although we don't delve too much into the answer that it feels like a handwave.

10 hours ago, timon said:

That said, it's also explained in the game IIRC, the church tries to keep humans from advancing too much, otherwise they'd become too ambitious again and wage war against the goddess again (the war that then triggered the agarthans to go mole).

Do you mind citing in game text stating so? I thought the claim church was stalling research has been debunk several times both here and on Reddit as no one so far could produce citation to support the claim.

Edited by Timlugia

1 hour ago, Timlugia said:

Do you mind citing in game text stating so? I thought the claim church was stalling research has been debunk several times both here and on Reddit as no one so far could produce citation to support the claim.

tbh I also only read it around, don't recall the ingame line. May very well be wrong.

(that's why I put the iirc)

Edited by timon

No reason to invest in defensive improvements when an ordinary sword can slice through plate armour, at its thickest point no less, like it was papier mache. Don't know why anyone bothers wearing armour in fantasy fiction really. The enemy could develop an Abrams main battle tank and Mia would still take it down in one slice of an iron sword.

6 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

No reason to invest in defensive improvements when an ordinary sword can slice through plate armour, at its thickest point no less, like it was papier mache. Don't know why anyone bothers wearing armour in fantasy fiction really. The enemy could develop an Abrams main battle tank and Mia would still take it down in one slice of an iron sword.

I think in JRR Tolkien book armors were quite reasonable, like how Gondolins could resist enemy five times their number due to superior armors.

Unfortunately the movie made armors like paper thin (only one scene, but still bothers me)

I always thought that at the time of Seiros the world was similiar state as europe when the roman empire ruled. And that the current time is then directly in the middle ages. That the same models appear in the beginning cutscenes I think is just because of budget reasons. They just didnt wat to design armor models that then never be seen in the game again.

I don't even remember if it's 100 or 1000 years, memories is fuzzy, but sheesh, 'How come no one destroyed them ?'. Like, take a look at medieval Japan ! How they got screwed over for being too isolationist too much.
And I wonder what kinds of goods they can have that'll interest merchants that much to wants it peacefully.(Besides the obvious crests BS.)

It kind of does puzzle me about how the heck did Rhea succeeded in locking the continent away in a stasis, altough from what I've seen, said stasis is to it's limits, and well... a big part of the plot of the game happens.
I guess it shouldn't have been all that hard for her but still. I'm kinda surprised there's no flintlock weapons or something.

There is operas though, so it's not like Fodlan is complete and truly medieval. Opera are not a medieval right ?

Edited by B.Leu

But if you only compare two 1 min shoots from armies going to battle - one from the year 91 (roman legionaries e.g.) and one from 1180 (crusaders) the visible advancement become quite small. Sure they look different but not as big of a difference when compared to a modern soldier. And when comparing a soldier from the 3. Egyptian Dynasty with on from the 8. I doubt we will recognize which one is who.

22 hours ago, Tediz64 said:

More like Romans to Crusaders.

10 hours ago, Humanoid said:

In reality your archers and swordsment are gonna hear the kling of the swords and arrows on a knight's armor. Your lances would probably as well.

Axes? Well you are applying blunt force on the armor too so they have better effects on armor than swords lol.

2 hours ago, Hauke said:

A lot. Not as much as the last 100 years in our world, but enough.

Actually technology went on regression between CE91 and 1185, much of Roman knowledge were lost when they were conquered by Germanic in the west and Muslim in the east.

Concept like public sewage or running water didn't return until 16th century

1 minute ago, Timlugia said:

Actually technology went on regression between CE91 and 1185, much of Roman knowledge were lost when they were conquered by Germanic in the west and Muslim in the east.

Concept like public sewage or running water didn't return until 16th century

That's mostly not true. In some things yes but in general there was progress. But during the renessance there was a big movement by the humanists to blame the Middle Ages for everything and make some stupid claims about them.

On 9/10/2019 at 2:34 PM, Tediz64 said:

Consider this, at the end of Claud's Path we learn from Rhea that the world used to be far more advanced than it is today. Some people used that technological power to revel against the goddess. The resulting war wiped out most of humanity and ravaged the land. The goddess had to use her last remaining power to restore the world and humanity as best she could. So at the beginning of time, humanity is coming of off an apocalypse essentially. 

Also, let me be clear on this, just because time passes does not mean that technological advances will be made. If you need an example, we still have people on earth that live on mud huts and hunt with spears. 

Also, progress is not a fixed goal, people can make progress in any and all endeavors. For instance, the ancient Japanese used swords and 700 years later they still used swords but had become incredibly more sophisticated at all. They weren't lazy or unmotivated they made progress in the sword, you get me? 

Just because there aren't guns, and flying cars doesn't mean they didn't make advancements in areas like education, tactics, craftmanship, commerce, magic, healing, etc.