Remaster 3, Remake 3

Fabulously Olivier

If you could choose 3 games to remaster and 3 games to remake, what would they be and why?

remaster is a re-release with a graphical and/or resolution bump, but may have minor content additions and/or quality of life improvements. A good example is the Tales of Vesperia remaster.

remake is a more substantial re-release in which the game is significantly redesigned, as with the upcoming Trials of Mana remake or Final Fantasy 7 remake.

My three remasters:

3. Path of Radiance is the best candidate in the Fire Emblem franchise for a remaster, as opposed to a remake. It has mechanically aged well, but visually aged poorly. Bump up the graphics, and include the Japanese Lunatic mode, along with new Casual/Classic options. Done.

2. Tales of Symphonia was a groundbreaking gamecube RPG, and people deserve to experience it today.

1. Tales of the Abyss was an excellent game with severe performance issues on the PS2. Loading times could exceed 30-60 seconds after every battle. A remaster with short loading times would be perfect.

My three remakes:

3. Shining Force trilogy - primarily a presentation remake like what Trials of Mana is getting. Move away from small sprites entirely and towards modern character models. Also redesign the class system with alternate classes for more replay value.

2. Jade Cocoon - If Pokemon actually cared about story, had a Ghibli artstyle, and let you fuse monsters, it would be Jade Cocoon. This one had serious potential, but needed a longer length with which to build up its writing. The combat could also use more depth.

1. Guild Wars 1. One of the greatest online games ever made. There is nothing else even remotely like it. This could also be a remaster, but I would like a bit of a redesign in the loot system, reducing the random rolls on item stats, adding more gear effect options, rebalancing some skills, and adding some quality of life features, jumping puzzles, etc.

Edited by Etheus

symphonia and abyss both got remasters. symphonia on ps3 with its sequel in 1 disc and abyss was on 3ds.

but mine would be 

Remaster:

1. Radiant Dawn

2. Pokemon Colosseum and XD gale of darkness

3. Eternal Sonata

Remake:

1. Persona 3

2. path of radiance

3. fire emblem genaology of the holy war

Three remasters

3.  The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask: I know we did get a remake on the 3DS and it's not like it's aged poorly in any regard but I think it'd look good in HD.

2. Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2: Game's aged pretty well but i'm imagining the Galaxy games with Odyssey visuals. The biggest challenge would be figuring out the motion controls, since the games relied heavily on the Wii.

1. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky: visuals and gameplay have aged pretty well and if we have had two bad Mystery Dungeon games in a row so just like, remaster the best one. Add in Gen 5-8 Pokemon in it.

Three remakes

3. Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade: this one is expected a lot but i think Binding Blade could benefit a lot from the Echoes treatment. Biggest things would be make the story more involved and indicate the Gaiden requirements.

2. Xenosaga Trilogy: Now i know i'm technically cheating by having three games but i think these games need a remake a lot. Xenoblade fans should definitely give the pre-Blade games a shot but the only way to play them is to either buy them at an expensive price of emulate them. In addition, Episodes I and II haven't aged very well. The visuals of Episodes II and II aren't that great nowadays and Episode II's gameplay is atrocious. Episode III is the only one that could go for a remaster instead of a remake but i'd just say remake all three of them. I'd still prefer the turn-based combat to stay but improve it, especially Episode II. A remake should also make use of the Episode I and II rewrites that the DS remake had (which never made it out of Japan).

1. Xenogears: Should be remade for the same base reason as the Xenosaga trilogy. It hasn't aged well but it has the best story out of any JRPG in my opinion. Improve the gameplay but keep it ATB, modernize the visuals and, just like Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive, add in the stuff that was cut from the original game, those being the Omnigears, like most of the gameplay of Disc 2 and even some subplots that had to be cut. On the subject of the gameplay, i would like it if the Gear battles were more action based so it keeps things interesting. Don't let Square Enix remake this game btw, i don't trust them with that. I'd say both this and the Xenosaga trilogy should be remade by Monolith Soft but that requires buying.

Edited by Armagon

30 minutes ago, Zihark11 said:

symphonia and abyss both got remasters. symphonia on ps3 with its sequel in 1 disc and abyss was on 3ds.

Fully aware of that, but the GC version of ToS is still considered the best, and a hand-held only version of TotA is far from optimal.

30 minutes ago, Zihark11 said:

but mine would be 

Remaster:

1. Radiant Dawn

2. Pokemon Colosseum and XD gale of darkness

3. Eternal Sonata

Remake:

1. Persona 3

2. path of radiance

3. fire emblem genaology of the holy war

Genuinely curious as to why RD is your remaster and PoR is your remake. IMO, RD is the one with severe structural issues (especially where unit balance and availability are concerned), and at the very least needs a modern support conversations system. PoR, on the other hand, is structurally sound, with its main complaint being that it's "too easy," which is easily fixed with more difficulty settings.

Edited by Etheus

Remaster

1. Kid Icarus Uprising: What the game needs most is any controller setting with two analog sticks. As for graphics, the environments would probably need to be touched up, as character models and other effects would probably look fine at higher resolution.
  2. Tellius: Fire Emblem Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn do not have any compelling excuse to be separated now that the story is concluded. And nobody would bat an eye at having to pay 60 dollars for two fire emblem games given the scarcity of these two titles in particular. As for the prospect of remaking the games, Echoes shows us IS is keen on keeping the game's original identity and mechanics so asking them to start from scratch feels logically wrong.
  3. Red Dead Redemption: My favorite Rockstar game ever made. This just needs a re-release on modern systems, including PC.

Remake

1. Shantae: We're on our way to the fifth game in the franchise but they're all written using characters and references to previous games. You can play them all on modern systems, but not the original. It's also a pretty bad game by modern standards so why not remake it?
  2. Legend of Dragoon: On the one hand, this game's reliance on pre-rendered background makes it seem more sensible to remaster with better character models. On the other hand, that did not stop them from starting from scratch on the Resident Evil or Final Fantasy 7 remakes. Plus there's a lot I would change to rebalance and add depth to the gameplay.
  3. Fallout New Vegas: The most personal request is also the least likely to ever happen. While I think the developers accomplished much of what they set out to do, Bethesda had a tight grip on the game's ambition that led to its rushed, buggy release. I also feel like the game must not have had a very large budget. Already piecing together from Fallout 3 assets, the voice cast is the most aggregious. There are about a 1000 NPCs in this game and with a cast list of a few dozen actors, some had roles of about 50 different characters. You will quickly notice reused actors. A remake of the game using Fallout 4's improved engine or even as a top down classic fallout experience would be a dream.

2 hours ago, Etheus said:

Crash Insane Trilogy or Spyro Reignited Trilogy

Wikipedia lists both of those as remasters.

TimeSplitters Trilogy HD, that's all I want.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

I can only think of two for the remaster right now. When I think of a third one, I'll add it. 

Remaster:

1. Fire Emblem: Tellius, obviously. For Radiant Dawn, though, I would like to see some support conversations like Path of Radiance given to it. 
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures. This game is actually very solid mechanically; it has my personal favourite system for handling multiple characters at once. A remaster would be good for it. 

Remake:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks. This game is fantastic for so many reasons: the train is fun to use, the dungeons are really good, and Zelda is the companion this time around and acts like a real partner in the level that she can assist Link. Sadly, its mechanics have all aged horribly due to all of them being dependent on the DS pen and, in the case of the instrument, breathing on the touch screen. This game would be fantastic for a remake that reworked the mechanics, improved the overworld and train ride experience (I'm a bit surprised that almost every piece of track is on a flat plane; no mountainside tracks or anything like that), and fixed the game in other areas would be cool. Now that I think about it, it would probably be a good idea to bundle this remake with Phantom Hourglass. 
  2. Super Mario: Sunshine. This game has always been so fun, yet so full of unfulfilled potential. The best Mario 3D game in mechanics, but the worst in level design. It is obvious when you play it and get far enough that big chunks of the game were either rushed or cut for time, which is not only a real shame, but it is also rather strange for Nintendo. Of all the games I would expect to be rushed for release, a Nintendo game would not be one of them. A proper remake of this game that gave the levels a complete overhaul, added more levels, completely redid the final boss fight, added better swimming and diving mechanics, and improved the camera would be fantastic. 
  3. Megaman Battle Network. Considering how the Battle Network series ended, it wouldn't make sense for Capcom to make a Megaman Battle Network 7 like what they did with classic Megaman recently. But it would be great to bring back that Battle Network gameplay in some form; either through a spiritual successor, or through a remake of the first game, and I personally think a remake would be a better choice. 
Edited by vanguard333

Interesting question.

Remasters:

• FE9/10: Maybe these should count as two game, because Nintendo probably would make them two separate games, but I'm putting them together because they're in a very similar place technically. Neither game has any glaring mechanical or presentation flaws that would require a full on remake to re-release. Really all they need is to include all of the difficulty modes in FE9 into one game, and re-add the cut dialogue for the FE10 translation. Maybe add some modern QOL features like EP skipping, but that's it  really.
  • Paper Mario TTYD: A port would suffice, but I doubt Nintendo will start doing Gamecube emulation anytime soon, so an HD port is fine too. They could upscale the visuals or try to match Color Splash's visuals, but it doesn't matter so long as they don't touch the gameplay or story.
  • Zero no Kiseki/Ao no Kiseki: These sort of got a remaster on the Vita, but those never got localized either, so nyeh! I doubt one would get a remaster without the other soon after, so I'm putting them together. I think the originals had voice acting but the Evo ports added more, so maybe add that. Evo music is probably a no go because of licensing nonsense I guess. Also, please put them on Switch so I  don't have to buy a PS4...even though I probably will by one eventually anyway for CS3/4. >_>

Remakes:

• Ys V: The only Ys story not to be localized in some form I think? It was sort of the first attempt at the Ys VI style gameplay, but was somewhat contentions I hear, so it could probably use a more extensive update.
  • The Legend of Heroes Gagharv trilogy: I'm doing a lot of these grouped together like this, is that cheating? Anyway, the  games only got shoddy Bandai localizations of kinda shoddy PSP ports a few years ago, so they could be due for another remake that could hopefully get a better translation too? Falcom puts the Ys I&II remakes on everything, so why not the Gaharv games too?
  • Here's an oddball one: SNK vs. Capcom: Match of the Millenium! This was actually the first game in the series of Capcom/SNK crossovers that were going on for a bit in the early 2000s, and it's pretty cool! I would know - I own and play it, believe it or not! It's got both tag battles and KoF style 3v3 fights, options to play in SFA/KoF/MvC esque gameplay modes, which is pretty impressive for an NGPC game honestly. A remake that had HD sprites but kept the chibi art style would be pretty fun. Maybe even keep the two-button gameplay as an option. But the RNG unlocking system definitely needs to go.
    ...though TBH if SNK and Capcom ever do another crossover, they're probably more likely to just port CvS2, but I can dream, dammit!

Hopefully me doing so many groupings of games doesn't count as cheating. >_>

Edited by Robert of Normandy

Remasters:

• Mega Man Battle Network 2
  • Mega Man Battle Network 3
  • Mega Man Battle Network 5

Remakes:

• Mega Man Battle Network
  • Mega Man Battle Network 4
  • Mega Man Battle Network 6

I, uh...I like the Battle Network games. Been on a bit of a kick for them recently.

10 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Remasters:

• Mega Man Battle Network 2
  • Mega Man Battle Network 3
  • Mega Man Battle Network 5

Remakes:

• Mega Man Battle Network
  • Mega Man Battle Network 4
  • Mega Man Battle Network 6

I, uh...I like the Battle Network games. Been on a bit of a kick for them recently.

Great idea. I'm surprised I had forgotten them when writing my list, as I really like the series as well, though I've only played 5 and 6. 

21 hours ago, Etheus said:

Fully aware of that, but the GC version of ToS is still considered the best, and a hand-held only version of TotA is far from optimal.

Genuinely curious as to why RD is your remaster and PoR is your remake. IMO, RD is the one with severe structural issues (especially where unit balance and availability are concerned), and at the very least needs a modern support conversations system. PoR, on the other hand, is structurally sound, with its main complaint being that it's "too easy," which is easily fixed with more difficulty settings.

RD is my favorite fire emblem so i wouldnt chnage anything about it. its a master piece already. Sure remaking it could even add more to it but Por has a rough combat system, especially flying units and cavalry but overall its still better then lots of the series. Tellius for sure is my favorite which is why i would want them to get the most love. 

Remake:

• Fallout New Vegas: Obsidian was held back my the failing engine, limited budget, and demands made by  Bethesda. Given more time, something even greater could arouse. 
  • Mass Effect 1: Bioware wanted to go above and beyond, but lacked fine polished. 
  • Drakengard/ Neir: Both titles show their age.

Remaster:

• Red Dead Redemption
  • Silent Hill 2&3
  • Bully

Remaster: 

1) Planescape torment because Sigil deserve the Graphics 

2) Suikoden 2 because Luca Blight boss batle deserve a cinematic, if possible made by Ufotable.

3)Kotor  because it's a much better alternative than having D&D write a movie about it.

Remake:

Live a Live: because 5 people know it and i want it to get some recognition outside of super snes entusiasts and Toby Fox(wich belong to the category).

Arcanum: because with some tweak it can become even greater, in particular better companions dialogues. Too bad that whit the current PC it would generate a truckload of controversies.

Final Fantasy Tactic Advance: because introducing it to the generation of Isekai fans would be glorious.

Remaster

Eye Toy Play 2( Or straight Eye Toy: Play Trilogy) I still think it blows every party game from the Wii/Kinect era out of the water, the main weakness is that it wants a very specific level of light, I almost exclusively played it in a garage and had to physically move lamps arounds and the only times I got it to work in an actual living room was by making everyone wear bright shirts.

Rocket: Robot on Wheels  The most impressive physics of the N64 platform games, had a fairly unique themeing Charlie Brown music and developed by a company that went on to become famous on PlayStation afterwards. Main touch ups would be camera related, maybe tweak some of the bomb-grapple puzzles.

SSX Tricky / 3 - The Second most important Extreme sports game after Tony Hawk and it's still relegated to slumming it out on PS2 - No excuse not to have a closer presence to THPS, and be available for everyone.

Remake

Steambot Chronicles  - Hard to explain it, but you can think of a an open world GTA/Bully type of a game, but with an early industrial revolution steampunk hybrid setting. The optional content and town part of the game is glorious. The weakness of the original game was combat.... The steambot's themselves used tank controls, and also caused enormous slowdown, and additionally, most ranged weapons were garabage, so you had to use an awkward targeting system and melee things to death with tank controls. The game's loading screens were also too slow, especially the 5-6 that would be used to combine segments of a town (although the vignette text intro was cool). Won't be remade because Irem software got rid of it's videogame division.

Going to work ATM, but will probably say something like Wizardry 8 / 3DO Battletanks

Remaster:

Jagged Alliance 2: This one's actually been remade twice now, but the remakes were both terrible, as was basically every sequel and spinoff to either. I wouldn't necessarily mind another remake, but with such a spotty track record I'd prefer just a straight remaster, especially since it's a bit difficult to get it running properly on some modern systems now. Would be neat if they took some ideas from the 1.13 mod too, but even base JA2 is good enough on its own imo.

Pokemon Colosseum: Or XD, but I have a slight preference for the first of the two. A compilation re-release would be great too. Perhaps expand the player's options in Colosseum a little bit more (in particular add the shadow moves XD had), and maybe update the mechanics a bit to match more modern games in the series, but otherwise neither needs a lot of touching up.

Either Tellius FE Oh My Fucking God: I no longer own either and they're super expensive and my poor computer is too much of a potato to emulate them like please Nintendo I'm suffering here free me from your prison of artificial scarcity

Remake:

Valkyrie Profile Lenneth: This game's gotten ported once or twice I believe, but it could probably stand to be straight up remade, given its fairly archaic and obscure design, and a revamp of the script probably couldn't hurt either. Still, I'd prefer to keep most of the game's old aesthetic (aside from the portrait art) or at least something similarly appealing, and any replacements for said portrait art would hopefully not be as generic as Anatomia's artstyle was.

Ogre Battle 64: March of the Black Queen would also be great, but this one in particular would be exciting to me since it's a bit of a pain to get it working properly on emulators and I don't own a N64 anymore to run physical copies on, and while I love it there's definitely some improvements that could be made. Plus it's the best game in the series so it deserves it the most.

Resident Evil Outbreak and File #2: I know this isn't happening in any way whatsoever but I can dream. If they wanted to make it more like the RE2 Remake I'd have 0 complaints about that, since that remake was excellent. Just keep the online as a thing please, and allow for local co-op as well so if the servers die the game isn't kinda screwed.

Remaster:

Skies of Arcadia: Skies of Arcadia Legends on the Gamecube was a favorite of mine growing up and I'd love to see this game with updated models and textures and full voice acting (a man can dream). It doesn't help that I'm constantly reminded that this game exists with Vyse and Aika as playable characters in Valkyria Chronicles. A remake would be fine, too. And a sequel.

Tales of Symphonia: I second this game getting a remaster. I'm not salty that the Playstation version of the game got more content than the Gamecube version. Definitely not salty.

The minigames from Pokémon Stadium and Pokémon Stadium 2: Topsy Turvy was the best. Fight me.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles is already getting a remaster.

Remake:

Trials of Mana and The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening are already getting remakes. Nothing else really comes to mind.

Edited by Ice Dragon

On 9/11/2019 at 10:10 PM, Jingle Jangle said:

Silent Hill 2&3

The Silent Hill HD collection already exists.

On 9/11/2019 at 10:10 PM, Jingle Jangle said:

Mass Effect 1: Bioware wanted to go above and beyond, but lacked fine polished. 

You better hope that Dragon Age 4 doesn't flop then, because Bioware is going to get shut down by EA if that happens.

1 hour ago, NinjaMonkey said:

The Silent Hill HD collection already exists.

You better hope that Dragon Age 4 doesn't flop then, because Bioware is going to get shut down by EA if that happens.

I know the Silent Hill HD collection exists. But the many graphical glitches turn me off from that version.

It's going to take a miracle on ice to get Bioware to the quality they once were sadly. 

Thing is, even if you don't remaster Mass Effect 1-3, they still look better than Andromeda, if you're focusing on what actually matters - character models. Unless they could bring them up to Anthem's model quality, I don't know that I'd care. I'd happily buy an ME collection on Switch either way.

Perhaps what I'd like to see in a Mass Effect remaster is bug polish, coupled with more content in Mass Effect 3. Add more playable squad mates (as in give us the classic ME 1 & 2 squad mates that were NPCs in ME 3.)

On 9/11/2019 at 12:35 AM, Etheus said:

If you could choose 3 games to remaster and 3 games to remake, what would they be and why?

Remaster:

- The Legend of Dragoon: timeless classic JRPG for PSOne;

- Vagrant Story: an obscure and unique JRPG from good old SquareSoft;

- Xenogear: yet another classic JRPG from Square.

as for remakes, at the moment i don't have any title in mind that really needs a complete remake.

rather, there's more titles that could and should be remastered from the PSOne era onward, such as Parasite Eve or The Bouncer.

Remaster:

-Skyward Sword. I have fond memories of watching my middle brother play the original with his friend*. I’d try to fix up the motion controls and maybe even have the option to turn them off, and besides that, make the graphics a bit similar to Breath of the Wild.

-Kid Icarus Uprising: Now that I think about it, KI:U would work on the Switch without needing the touch control from the 3DS game, but I’m not Sakurai so who knows?

-The Tellius Games: Mostly just want to make it more graphically appealing for modern-day consoles (maybe something similar to Three Houses) and maybe update the voice acting?

*Fun fact: my brother turned off the Wii during the credits because he thought he didn’t need to fight the final boss again.

Remake:

-Kirby 64

-Crash Twinsanity

-Tomato Adventure

1 hour ago, Perkilator said:

Remaster:

-Skyward Sword. I have fond memories of watching my middle brother play the original with his friend*. I’d try to fix up the motion controls and maybe even have the option to turn them off, and besides that, make the graphics a bit similar to Breath of the Wild.

If that game should be revisited at all, it should be as a full remake. The whole game needs a serious overhaul. The sky was completely underutilized, the bulk of the main story is spent backtracking and doing fetch quests, and the game does way too much handholding.

But, most importantly, the controls disadvantaged left-handed players. The player should've been able to choose between playing left-handed and right-handed, with Link's handedness matching the player. After making Link right-handed in Breath of the Wild, it's the least they owe their left-handed fans. 

Then again, I doubt Nintendo would make too many changes even if they made it a full remake. As much as I love Wind Waker HD, I am honestly disappointed that Nintendo didn't add in the content that had originally been cut for time. 

Regarding Tales of the Abyss: Played both versions to some extent, and was a lot happier with the 3DS one.

Now, for my list:

Remaster:

- Tales of Phantasia: Consider this a history lesson for those that don't want to emulate, or were too young for the GBA version.  The plot is simple, the characters aren't fully fleshed out, but that's okay.  It's where Tales kicked off.

- The entire Suikoden series: Again, it's an interesting series that's lost to the sands of time, and that's a damn travesty.  I've heard good things about 2.

- The first two Golden Sun games: This is another classic that'll probably go poof, and shouldn't. Ever.

Remake:

- The first two Final Fantasy games: As in, fix the graphics, try to make it a little less tedious, and make sure the player doesn't insta-kill themselves in 2 if they get lost.

- Both Baten Kaitos games: This series has so many amazing ideas.  With modern updates (cutscene skipping comes to mind), I bet the reception would be a lot better!

- Tales of Hearts: And this time, try not to make the story such a trainwreck.

Remaster:

• Persona 4 Golden: I know it's a bit too early to do this, but I'd like a couple of adjustments.
    • Allow starting the game using save states of Persona 3 Azure (mentioned below), and make minor scene changes in early September 2011 if the bigger Persona 3-5 story was kicked off with Minako/Kotone/Female Protagonist.
    • Second, incorporate a couple of story elements to Persona 5 - particularly with Naoto's background and why she lost her self-esteem and confidence as a career woman that foreshadows Sae's struggles. (Ideally I would re-write Naoto's social link, and actually have her respond to misogynist/ageist police officers and Inaba society's general discouragement on Naoto persuing a career - but that probably would bring this to a scope for a remake).
  • Pokemon Sun and Moon: Introduce proper difficulty settings, and on the lowest difficulty:
    • gimp the opponents' AI and movepools
    • limit the calling for help with only 2-3 Pokemon
    • Remove the EXP-payout scaling penalty for overlevelling
  • ...and I can't think of anything else.

Remake:

• The Tellius Duology: (For both games)
    • Expand the story to include what was happening to Micaiah and what would become the Dawn Brigade. Basically make Ike and Micaiah on a more equal footing, both in terms of story (and to some extent gameplya).
    • Change the final battle to not only allow the player to rely on other party members besides Ike to vanquish the final boss - and compensate the lowered difficulty with more enemies and smarter AI. Alternately, allow Micaiah (and Elincia?) to engage the final boss of the second game.
    • Overhaul the entire system to force the player to use many party members and have them work together like Fates Conquest tried to do, and punish the player if they try to low-man. (This actually applies to FE.)
    • Do a proper voiceover from scratch with good voice acting.
  • Genealogy of the Holy War: 
    • Modernise the gameplay in general, and remove the arbitrary limitation on trading and funds in particular - adjust item abilities if necessary. Also in particular, discourage Horse Emblem with readjusted movements for foots, canto being an option, enemies being more diversified, and also more instances of Horse Killers and the like.
    • As with Tellius above, adjust gameplay to force the player to use many party members and have them work together like Fates Conquest tried to do, and punish the player if they try to low-man.
    • Add some more conversations depending on who is present. Greatly expand the story script to acknowledge who is in your party and expand the backstory of the characters.
    • Also allow a way out if you can't vanquish the boss without certain party members.
  • Persona 3 Azure:
    • Make Minako equally canon, and properly introduce animated cutscenes and the Answer epilogue for her.
    • All romantic social links for the male protagonist must have a platonic option which doesn't cause jealousy penalties.
    • An option for a new set of social links which includes Junpei, Akihiko, Koromaru, Ken, and Shinjiro for the male protagonist vs the classic option from the vanilla game.
    • Voice all social links.
    • Introduce a couple of Personas from Persona 5.
    • Allow controllable party members like P4 and P5 - and adjust enemy difficulty.
    • Remove the EXP-payout scaling penalty for overlevelling on the lowest difficulty.
    • Introduce references and throw-forwards to Persona 5 in the conversations and story.
Edited by henrymidfields