Is there a tier-list for Skills and Battalions?

DefyingFates

There's a lot of discussion about the best Classes both here and in other places, but I can't find anything about Skills and Battalions. There are some clear favourites for the latter, but I still haven't been able to find a tier list - or even a breakdown of what makes a good Battalion, since there are so many to choose from.

As for Skills, again I get that there are a lot, but I think it'd be nice to know which ones are useful for which kinds of builds, which Skills are good for everyone and which should be ignored by everyone. Is there anything like that out there?

And if there aren't any resources like this for either of the above: what do you think the best Battalions and Skills are, and why?

There is a mastery skill tier list here that ranked class mastery skills, but I haven't seen much on Battalions. As far as Battalions go, the best utility Gambit outside of Stride is probably Dance of the Goddess. It's a one-use refresher of all adjacent allies to the user, and only two Battalions seem to have it. The first is exclusive to the Blue Lions route, and the other one, Opera Co. Volunteers, seem linked to Dorothea, but I've never gotten it through her Paralogue so I'm not sure how to get it. Outside of that, the Gautier Knights have Stride but also give really good stats at max ( +7 Phys Atk, +20 Avoid, and 5 Prt), so it's really good on any Physical cavalry unit i.e. Bow Knight or Paladin. Retribution is also pretty good because it allows your units to counter at any range for 5 turns which makes Wrath+Vantage strats much more reliable. It's also universally accessible through the Manuela+Hanneman paralogue. There are some other niche ones like Blessing (guaranteed Miracle) and Impregnable Wall (units deal and receive 1 damage until your next turn), but that's probably the extent of good utility Gambits. 

For combat battalions, there's not a whole lot of variation between them. If you're using any hybrid damage unit though, the Gloucester Knights and Edmund Troops give both Mag and Phys Atk. Gloucester gives +6 in both and Edmund gives +5 in both. Edelgard has one too that is exclusive to Black Eagles. For criticals, the Fraldarius Soldiers give +20 Crit, the highest of any battalion if I recall, and +7 Phys Atk. The Gautier Knights, Brigid Hunters, and Aegir Astral Knights give +20 Avoid for dodge tanks, but the Knights get 3 more Atk than the Hunters in exchange for 10 less Crit. I don't think offensive Gambits are particularly important because they're all pretty situational outside of Demonic Beast fights, but the displacement ones like Lure, Assembly, and Onslaught can be nice occasionally.

I don't know what the best battalion is outside of anything that has Stride on it, but Claude's battalion is pretty strong. Has great stats on it, and its AoE is absurd on Ashes and Dust. Its also C rank, so even Authoritylets like Hilda and Felix can use it.

Edit: It's also a flier battalion, which is even better since fliers don't have many options.

Edited by Jakkun

26 minutes ago, LegendOfLoog said:

Opera Co. Volunteers, seem linked to Dorothea, but I've never gotten it through her Paralogue so I'm not sure how to get it.

You have to stand in front of the Mittelfrank Opera Company on the Enbarr map in Silver Snow, Verdant Wind or Azure Moon. (Crimson Flower doesn't go there, I believe.)

If you're not sure where that is, it's on the west edge, slightly north of the middle. There's a Fire Orb on the square you have to stand on, and in Azure Moon, unrecruited Dorothea starts using it.

Once you've stood on that space with Dorothea or Manuela, they will say a line of dialogue. You will receive the battalion after the map has been completed.

I think the Resonant lightning/ice/fire ones are very great but Dimitri's battalian after timeskip is pretty powerful and has an amazing gambit so I think that might be the best one...

32 minutes ago, bethany81707 said:

You have to stand in front of the Mittelfrank Opera Company on the Enbarr map in Silver Snow, Verdant Wind or Azure Moon. (Crimson Flower doesn't go there, I believe.)

If you're not sure where that is, it's on the west edge, slightly north of the middle. There's a Fire Orb on the square you have to stand on, and in Azure Moon, unrecruited Dorothea starts using it.

Once you've stood on that space with Dorothea or Manuela, they will say a line of dialogue. You will receive the battalion after the map has been completed.

I think Dorothea does mention the opera company on that map, but I had no idea it was actually important. I guess I'll have to remember that for future playthroughs. 

For battalions with strong gambits. There's the indech sword fighters giving retribution which is distant counter to several units for 5 turns. It's A rank but it's really useful if you need to kill siege tomes or face a lot of ranged enemies and not weigh yourself down with short spear/axes. 

As for stats, Goneril Valkyries I think is unmatched in stats despite only being B rank. It's like 7 attack 6 def 15hit 15 crit 10 avoid? Something insane for a part 1 battalion albeit a slightly late one. 

skill tier list, it's all about skills like death/fiendish blow. Quick riposte is extremely good but it's way too late to be relevant. A lot of people really value the beginner class combat arts and -3 weight. I don't think it's that good compared to the offensive blow skills. 

14 hours ago, PPPPPPP270 said:

skill tier list, it's all about skills like death/fiendish blow. Quick riposte is extremely good but it's way too late to be relevant. A lot of people really value the beginner class combat arts and -3 weight. I don't think it's that good compared to the offensive blow skills.  

-3 Weight takes you from Iron Axe+ (7 Weight / 9 Might) to Silver Axe + (10 Weight / 17 Might), for an effective +8 damage. That's better than any "Death Blow" and counts on enemy phase too. Or... if you actually have the 50 STR needed to wield a Silver Axe without AS loss (unlikely but...), then you can upgrade to Brave Axe+ for 13 Might x2

-3 Weight is Uber-tier as far as I'm concerned. Its pretty easy to get, and its quite relevant, especially for Mages who don't get enough STR to use the heavy tomes. There's always a better, heavier weapon that you can translate -3 Weight into raw power.

Edited by dragontamer

2 hours ago, dragontamer said:

-3 Weight takes you from Iron Axe+ (7 Weight / 9 Might) to Silver Axe + (10 Weight / 17 Might), for an effective +8 damage. That's better than any "Death Blow" and counts on enemy phase too. Or... if you actually have the 50 STR needed to wield a Silver Axe without AS loss (unlikely but...), then you can upgrade to Brave Axe+ for 13 Might x2

-3 Weight is Uber-tier as far as I'm concerned. Its pretty easy to get, and its quite relevant, especially for Mages who don't get enough STR to use the heavy tomes. There's always a better, heavier weapon that you can translate -3 Weight into raw power.

-3 Weight = +3 Speed. You are not putting +2 Speed in uber, are you? Not to mention that everyone uses irons not just because they are light, but also because they are accurate and dirt cheap. I'd say -3 Weight is on slightly mid-to-high, not uber.

And Death Blow really pulls its weight when you are doubling or when combined with gauntlets (or both).

I'd say among skills you get from ranks, Alert Stance+ is the best.

2 minutes ago, Kruggov said:

Alert Stance requires you to sacrifice your player phase, that alone drops it a fair bit for me. Its a strong skill and makes some characters like Petra completely untouchable, but i'd much rather grab Movement +1 that's just more universally useful.

Even with that aside, Close Counter is definitely better than Alert Stance+, and you get that at C Bows.

14 minutes ago, Kruggov said:

I'd disagree, because aside from requiring you to lose your player phase, it'll probably come too late to get much use out of on a non-NG+ run.

1 hour ago, Kruggov said:

-3 Weight = +3 Speed. You are not putting +2 Speed in uber, are you? Not to mention that everyone uses irons not just because they are light, but also because they are accurate and dirt cheap. I'd say -3 Weight is on slightly mid-to-high, not uber. 

And Death Blow really pulls its weight when you are doubling or when combined with gauntlets (or both).

+2 Speed requires Myrmidon class mastery, which is far more difficult to get than Armor C. Even with -Armor growth, it will be easier for Lysithea to get ArmorC than Myrmidon Mastery (30 battles). -3 Weight is Uber Tier because it is easy to achieve, universally applicable, and stacks with everything. Know what is even better than Death Blow? Death Blow + Weight-3, get 3 more speed to double everybody AND keep the speed on enemy phase.

EDIT: Death Blow requires 100 Class Exp: 50 Battles, in Brigand. Its a great skill, but it comes with relatively high costs. In contrast, its reasonable to send all casters down Mage (especially since Priest is kind of meh), so I'd argue that Fiendish Blow has a chance for Uber tier.

Alert Stance+ requires FlyingA+, which is far too much investment outside of NG+. If Alert Stance+ is in play, then Armor A+ is in play, suggesting that Weight-5 is in play. I'd take +5 Speed (player phase AND enemy phase) over every other ability in the game. But Armor A+ (and A+ rank in general) is a bit too far out of the way to make it worthwhile. As such, Weight-3 is best. Because its low investment, easy to achieve, and doesn't really hamper's anyone's study plans.

Edited by dragontamer

Close Counter for Uber tier. It makes archers not solely (almost) player-phase units, making them actually viable units. Especially when anyone can be an archer and lots of physical units like far more viable 2-range than hand axes and javelins

Bows are probably now the best weapon in the game where historically they've been garbage/niche because 80+% of the game is Enemy Phase

Edited by Ivan Tridelan

6 minutes ago, Ivan Tridelan said:

Close Counter for Uber tier. It makes archers not solely (almost) player-phase units, making them actually viable units. Especially when anyone can be an archer and lots of physical units like far more viable 2-range than hand axes and javelins

Bows are probably now the best weapon in the game where historically they've been garbage/niche because 80+% of the game is Enemy Phase

The + Range and linked attacks make Bows extremely good in this game. +1 Range and +2 Range sets up far more Linked Attacks and Gambit boosts compared to any other weapon class.

Close Counter nullifies the enemy-phase weakness, and Bows C is very easy to achieve. I think its a solid pick for Uber tier too.

Yeah, kinda derped forgetting about Close Counter, it's definitely Uber.

Actually, you sold me -3 Weight. But IMO it's mostly an early-to-mid game tool, has a lot of competition, and not everyone really needs it (Swordies usually either double without it or fight a Swordmaster/Assassin which you aren't doubling anyway, Annette wants every slot that is not used by Prowess or Fiendish Blow to have a rally in it, Dedue, Raphael or Gilbert don't double period, etc...).

12 minutes ago, dragontamer said:

The + Range and linked attacks make Bows extremely good in this game. +1 Range and +2 Range sets up far more Linked Attacks and Gambit boosts compared to any other weapon class.

That's yeah, but those skills are class skills? Unless you are CF Chapter 15 Shamir, but then you're kinda hax.

14 minutes ago, Kruggov said:

That's yeah, but those skills are class skills? Unless you are CF Chapter 15 Shamir, but then you're kinda hax.

Well, I'm not rating +Range skills. I'm mostly talking about why Bows are so good in this game.

+2 Range covers an area of 36 squares with Linked Attacks / Gambit Boosts. And you have Canto to put your Bow Knight into the correct spot, 8-movement, and finally Close Counter to ignore Enemy Phase issues. Bows are excellent weapons, but due in large part to Close Counter solidifying some strategies.

Even ignoring how good Bow Knights are in general... the fact that they provide significant +Hit / +Avoid bonuses to Gambits and Linked Attacks is yet another reason why 3+ Bow Knights per deployment is just a good idea.

Edited by dragontamer