Maddening mode is out

Nobody

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Sid Starkiller said:

These house loungewear outfits are funny. Tempted to give them to everyone. Of note, everyone wears your chosen house, not their starting house.

Guess that makes sense since the house symbol next to their name changes if you recruited them from another house.

1 minute ago, Sentinel07 said:

Guess that makes sense since the house symbol next to their name changes if you recruited them from another house.

Yeah, I just figured I'd save people the trouble of asking.

Byleth gets one, too, so I can finally wear red. I also gave him the glasses since I wear glasses IRL.

Title screen slightly changes if you clear it without NG+, eh? Why does that sound tempting to me...?

So Maddening IS the Lunatic difficulty. Y'all gave me the impression we were getting two difficulty settings. Oh well, at least it's something and I don't have to pay for it.

Infernal is supposed to be the other difficulty. I’m midway through a BL run farming abilities for NG+ so I won’t start immediately, but as I said in another thread, I’ll be curious to see if the Defiant abilities, Vantage, Desperation, etc. rise up the tier list with the enemies probably hitting harder and more often.

Just figured out you can't buy all this DLC separately....:c

I guess I was naive when looking at the Super Smash Bros DLC, where you could buy each fighter individually. Breath of the Wild, you could also buy the two different DLC packs they released separately too....

That is unfortunate, personally not ready to drop that much money for the DLC content available right now. Might wait and see if the 3rd DLC wave is worth it enough to buy the whole expansion pass....

47 minutes ago, magnetic_cactus said:

Will try this out as soon as I get home, but I wonder - can anyone give us updates on what Maddening has changed, or is it exactly like the datamined version? 

I've only done the first two battles so far (I decided to go Black Eagles), but I've noticed two major changes thus far:

1.) EXP gain seems to be half (or maybe even slightly less than half) of what you earn on Hard mode.

2.) Enemy stats are increased... a lot.  It's not hugely noticeable during the Prologue; the only real difference I noticed was that Edelgard got doubled now when using an axe.  However, the mock battle was an entirely different beast.  Their stats were hugely inflated.  Even Petra, the fastest character on my roster, got doubled by Claude.  Dimitri and Ashe also double her unless she uses a training sword.  Claude can ORKO just about everyone from Black Eagles.

I'm not even entirely sure how Maddening calculates enemy AS.  Dedue has 9 Speed during the mock battle and uses a Training Axe, which has 6 weight.  9 - 6 = 3, but he somehow ends up with 6 AS.  I checked his skills and all he has is Dexterity +4.  I guess Maddening just gives the enemy free AS.

2 minutes ago, Tombstone88 said:

I've only done the first two battles so far (I decided to go Black Eagles), but I've noticed two major changes thus far:

1.) EXP gain seems to be half (or maybe even slightly less than half) of what you earn on Hard mode.

2.) Enemy stats are increased... a lot.  It's not hugely noticeable during the Prologue; the only real difference I noticed was that Edelgard got doubled now when using an axe.  However, the mock battle was an entirely different beast.  Their stats were hugely inflated.  Even Petra, the fastest character on my roster, got doubled by Claude.  Dimitri and Ashe also double her unless she uses a training sword.  Claude can ORKO just about everyone from Black Eagles.

I'm not even entirely sure how Maddening calculates enemy AS.  Dedue has 9 Speed during the mock battle and uses a Training Axe, which has 6 weight.  9 - 6 = 3, but he somehow ends up with 6 AS.  I checked his skills and all he has is Dexterity +4.  I guess Maddening just gives the enemy free AS.

If Dedue had 15-19 Strength, then those numbers check out. The formula for AS should be Speed - ( Weight - Str/5 ) rounded down, so 9 - ( 6 - 3) would work out to 6 AS. More annoying is that seemingly every enemy at the mock battle has high Crit. Dorothea had an 11% chance with Thunder. At least the teachers are still weak, so that's nice I guess. 

Patch Notes from Reddit - https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/d2i2ah/three_houses_has_been_updated_to_version_102/

Added Maddening mode to the New Game difficulty options. Note that if you clear Maddening mode without selecting New Game +, the title screen will change.
Increased the bonus Renown for selecting New Game + at the start of the game.
    In addition to the usual difficulty bonus, 10,000 Pts. will now be added each time you clear a path.
    The max threshold for bonus Renown is now 50,000 Pts.
    If you already started playing using New Game + before applying the DLC data, 10,000 Pts. per cleared path will be added to each save slot the first time it is loaded.
    Up to Ver.1.0.1, only the type of path cleared was saved but not the number of clears for the same path, which will now be saved applying the DLC Ver.1.0.2.
Added Goddess Tower to the Event Gallery in Extras. Use the ZL/ZR Buttons to select the Goddess Tower page, then choose a character event to replay.
    The Event Gallery is unlocked once you’ve cleared the game.
Implemented new English voice for Byleth (male).
New Expansion Pass Content:
    A new set of items
        You can receive this set of items as DLC Supplies from the bed in Byleth’s Personal Quarters. Each save file can receive these supplies: Sacred Galewind Shoes (Movement +1), Sacred Floral Robe (HP +7), Sacred Snowmelt Drop (Strength +3), Sacred Moonstone (Speed +3).
    Additional auxiliary battles
        There are five additional auxiliary battles in the Expansion Pass: Battle at Lake Teutates, Battle in the Forest, Battle at Gronder Field, Battle at the Sealed Forest, and Battle at Conand Tower.
        Depending on your progress, one of them will be listed in the battle-selection screen.
        These additional auxiliary battles will be marked with the yellow “!” icon in the battle-selection screen. As a bonus, these battles may give you status-up items, such as Ailell Pomegranate, and an increased Gold reward in addition to the Bullions.
        All maps will consume one activity point to start.
    A new song (Corridor of the Tempest)
        You can access the new song (Corridor of the Tempest) from the System menu while you are in an auxiliary battle. You can also listen to it in the Music Library.
    New attire/accessory (House Loungewear / Glasses for Byleth)
        The new attire (House Loungewear) is for the protagonist and students. Swap outfits in Byleth’s Personal Quarters from the Journal. These outfits are only wearable inside the monastery, or for specific unit classes during battle (this varies by character).
        The new attire cannot be sent along with a traveler.
        The new accessory (Glasses) can also be put on in Byleth’s Personal Quarters. They can be combined with any other attire. The glasses can be worn in the monastery and during battle.
Fixed the bug that caused the game to freeze when Fortify was used while equipped with a certain skill.
Addressed the incorrect character design in event still images.
Fixed the bug that incorrectly displayed a Caspar line as Linhardt’s during the White Heron Cup.
Fixed the bug that displayed a “TBD” message when mastering combat.
Fixed the bug in the cut-in sequence for a CRITICAL attack.
Fixed the bug that prevented Rescue magic from working properly to move an ally to a space near the user.
Fixed the bug that accidentally let the player enter the closed-off desk corridor in the Cardinals' Room.
Some text has been revised.
The gameplay has been improved by addressing a few additional bugs.

Edited by Sire

19 minutes ago, LegendOfLoog said:

If Dedue had 15-19 Strength, then those numbers check out. The formula for AS should be Speed - ( Weight - Str/5 ) rounded down, so 9 - ( 6 - 3) would work out to 6 AS. More annoying is that seemingly every enemy at the mock battle has high Crit. Dorothea had an 11% chance with Thunder. At least the teachers are still weak, so that's nice I guess. 

Ah, I always forget about the (Str/5) part of the AS in this game.  Yeah, Dedue has 16 Strength on Maddening.

1 hour ago, xchickengirlx said:

Just figured out you can't buy all this DLC separately....:c

I guess I was naive when looking at the Super Smash Bros DLC, where you could buy each fighter individually. Breath of the Wild, you could also buy the two different DLC packs they released separately too....

That is unfortunate, personally not ready to drop that much money for the DLC content available right now. Might wait and see if the 3rd DLC wave is worth it enough to buy the whole expansion pass....

Um, to my knowledge, Breath of the Wild's DLC was never released separately. You had to buy both or none.

It was a singular Expansion Pass, just like Three Houses is doing.

Edited by Sentinel07

12 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

Um, to my knowledge, Breath of the Wild's DLC was never released separately. You had to buy both or none.

It was a singular Expansion Pass, just like Three Houses is doing.

yeah. 
the DLC for Breath of the WIld was 2 waves, but you had to buy the entire thing. 
Glasses for Teach. cool.
50K cap for renown. good to know.

3 hours ago, Sentinel07 said:

So they just stealthily release Wave 2. 😄

Curiously, they had this on the website as coming before October. Wonder if this means Wave 3 and 4 might also come sooner than advertised.

What was wave 1??