Maddening mode is out

Nobody

I think I might be stuck at BE 14.

A little background, I played hard mode first until chapter 11, but decided to wait for Maddening mode, so in a sense this is a blind play through.

My only rules are to use my house units (will plan to go through other houses too) so I didn't recruit anyone. If I kill someone, and they decides to join me, no problem I can add them to my roster but not focus on them. The other rule is no online/dlc. Everything else is fair.

Just like everyone else, a little tediousness at the first chapters, and then it went smooth up to chapter 13.

Chapter 13 was a very surprising jump but nothing sky rocket. Thankfully with some planning, I managed to kill both Leonnie, Ignatz, the boss while grabbing the chests. Petra my only flier to grab the south chest,  while Ferd grabs the north chest quickly and rejoins the group. Thankfully I found out about impregnable wall which allows to take a hit from Leonnie. I won this chapter and felt satisfied with the challenge.

Chapter 14 however.. I'm unsure what to do here. I'm up against Lys and Hilda (It seems Lys wants to join me after I defeat her) and Claude. It really surprised me to see Lys with a whopping 54 magic, I wonder if she joins me with those stats. None of those people are honestly scary since none of them intends to move.

However by turn 1, I'm surprised by 5 Bow Knights and 3+more Wyvern Lords Marching towards me, both of which are Master classes.. About Turn 7/8 the gate reinforcements will start marching.

Couple of things I tried:

1. Have Petra (Wyvern Rider) stall/Dodge tank the Wyverns while the rest of my team tries to round the bow knights. This doesn't go well as Petra get surrounded by 4 Lords, while the rest of them go to my team. The other thing is, the range of the Bow knights allow them to pick on my casters or my slow characters. If I play very carefully, I might be able to break through, but the gate reinforcement will probably start flowing.

2. Have Petra snipe the Gates Warrior and Snipers, while the rest deal with the Almaryans. I don't how to go about this as the Wyvern lords AI are very unpredictable.

Any strategies will be appreciated. I have 20k gold so I can afford some new gambits or weapons if needed.

Beyleth( Enlightened one/Hero)

Edlegard (Fort Knight 33 defense 43 protection)

Petra (Wyvern rider, 31 AS with Silver sword+. Can double the gates, but not the Lords) 

Hubert/Dorothea/Lin (Warlock, not gonna one shot wyverns but he got decent mag. Lin mastered Bishop and has Warp)

Ferd is Paladin with all around swords/axes/lances.

Bernie is Sniper, but mastered Paladin. A in bows, and has some decent lances.

Caspar is Fort knight, but he has impregnable wall gambit. He has a 33 defense too.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got really close to beating Chapter 17, Wyvern Lord Ashe failed to get Dimitri, who was the only boss left, defeated in critical hit with his Killer Axe+ using the Combat Art Smash, but I will keep employing this strategy, I can tell it was a good test run, so I'd say that it's working so far.

Edit:

I finally beat Chapter 17 on Maddening Mode after a few days. This time, after one or two more tries, I managed to destroy Rhea, though I had Caspar attack her first, Dedue, and Dimitri with a critical hit from Wyvern Lord Ashe's Killer Axe+ with the Smash Combat Art. As to how Chapter 18 will go, I'm curious to see how it'll go myself, as I think I managed to beat it on my first try on Normal Mode/Casual, though I had only Byleth left on that map on my first playthrough.

Edited by VallaKnight12

3 hours ago, ZeManaphy said:

I’m doing BLs on Maddening, and I’m stuck on Ingrid’s paralouge. That priest keeps summoning Thieves every turn, and I’m getting overwhelmed. What are some suggestions?

Remember that the objective is escape : if you can deal fast enough with the enemies in the way toward the south, you won't have to deal with the infinite reinforcement.

Of course, this does mean missing 1 chests and extra exp, so that's up to you.

2 hours ago, Silly said:

Having a strong flier helps, as it does with most maps.

Yeah, as BE I recruted Ingrid right before I did the paralogue, she had good base stats and she took out the priest fairly easily. Though admittedly I postoned doing so until chapter 10 (when Ingrid finally decided to come to my class), so I was relatively overleveled for Maddening standards. The paralogues I really struggled with were the ones with Lorenz, Felix (could only save half of the civilians), Hilda & Cyril (both were useless since they were just recruted, could also save only have of the soldiers), and I also had to cheese Ignatz & Raphael's paralogue pretty hard by using flyers + dancers + warp because it seemed impossible to save those merchants otherwise.

4 hours ago, ZeManaphy said:

I’m doing BLs on Maddening, and I’m stuck on Ingrid’s paralouge. That priest keeps summoning Thieves every turn, and I’m getting overwhelmed. What are some suggestions?

What I did was sending dedue forward followed by annette and I think ashe and felix and maybe another unit in the back to finish off the thieves that were swarming on dedue at a range, so even the next wave of pass thieves would not reach them, I slowly moved towards the priest this way and killed him. bring healing items with you

this is, if you don't wanna miss the chest. you could also simply rush towards the end goal with ingrid

Edited by AxelVDP

22 hours ago, MrMostache said:

I think I might be stuck at BE 14.

Chapter 14 is imo the hardest chapter for CF route for this very reason.

It might be a long shot, but if Dorothea or Hubert have bowbreaker you could try parking them in the forest tile close to where you spawn. Equip the staff that gives +1 range and use Mire/Thoron to let them counter and hope they avoid enough attacks to bait/kill most of the bowknights. Use the blessing gambit if you have it too.

Another option is use the Retribution gambit if anyone can use it and just let Edelgard tank the bowknights.

13 minutes ago, Draith said:

Chapter 14 is imo the hardest chapter for CF route for this very reason.

It might be a long shot, but if Dorothea or Hubert have bowbreaker you could try parking them in the forest tile close to where you spawn. Equip the staff that gives +1 range and use Mire/Thoron to let them counter and hope they avoid enough attacks to bait/kill most of the bowknights. Use the blessing gambit if you have it too.

Another option is use the Retribution gambit if anyone can use it and just let Edelgard tank the bowknights.

I managed to beat the chapter yesterday. Your suggestions would have helped for sure, but I didn't have bow breaker.

Here are important things to note:

1. After Petra killed the Sniper and the Warrior at the gates, the Paladin Reinforcements never spawned.

2. Wyvern Lord reinforcement is actually finite. Once you beat the first three Lords, the rest are easy pickings as they enter your range. Another thing is, the AI of the lords prefer to travel west (either towards Petra or my mages) for some reason instead of going towards Edlegard/Beyleth who are dealing with the Bow Knights with their great gambits.

3. After Nadir is killed, the majority of Claude army went to hang out with him, and most of them didn't even bother moving towards me even if I was in their attack range (they might attack you if you are adjacent or in their weapon range). This made the rest of the chapter a piece of cake because all I did was pick each of them one by one.

2 minutes ago, MrMostache said:

3. After Nadir is killed, the majority of Claude army went to hang out with him, and most of them didn't even bother moving towards me even if I was in their attack range (they might attack you if you are adjacent or in their weapon range). This made the rest of the chapter a piece of cake because all I did was pick each of them one by one.

This happened in my game too. I thought it was a bug, but now I wonder if it's intended? I recall a similar thing happening in another chapter too, but I can't remember which one it was.

Just hit NG chapter 10 with Golden Deer. Sort of dreading chapter 13 though because I've totally neglected Ignatz and Lorenz in favor of distributing resources to my other units to a higher degree. 

Had the most success in the early game by just giving Byleth the DLC stat boosters and using him as a pseudo Jeigen (or Oswin) for the first few chapters, letting him grab side objectives and draw in enemies while holding a heavier weapon to allow Claude or Hilda or whoever to finish them.

Also very important/useful: make use of your characters' abilities! Leonie and Hilda's abilities were lifesavers in the early game, and Byleth's makes sure you can maximize unit growth over time.  

Edited by Ciaran

Has anyone beaten the Caspar/Mercedes paralogue on Maddening yet? I've just peaked at the map and reinforcements, at first glance I don't see how I'll be able to keep Caspar & Marianne alive, even though they're both trained.

25 minutes ago, Wazoo said:

Has anyone beaten the Caspar/Mercedes paralogue on Maddening yet? I've just peaked at the map and reinforcements, at first glance I don't see how I'll be able to keep Caspar & Marianne alive, even though they're both trained.

My strategy was to not move Mercedes and Caspar at all until I cleared a path on the right side for them to retreat. Before sending any of your units up the stairs/cliff to the Death Knight, get them out pronto because moving past that point is what spawns the reinforcements. Once they’re out, trigger the reinforcements (keep in mind the Dark Knights that spawn in the center left forest) and deal with those first. Then, take out the Heroes and Snipers that spawn in the northern area. Once all of those reinforcements are gone, you can send your units and Caspar back up to take out the Death Knight. Make sure Caspar gets the killing blow for the DK’s Scythe of Sariel, and rout the remaining enemies. 

30 minutes ago, Wazoo said:

Does DK have an expanded movement range there too? If not, you usually have enough time (on lower difficulties) to work your way up to him before the other enemies realise Caspar and Mercedes are there. If DK can move, Stride/ Dance/ Warp someone up to him ASAP.

3 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Does DK have an expanded movement range there too? If not, you usually have enough time (on lower difficulties) to work your way up to him before the other enemies realise Caspar and Mercedes are there. If DK can move, Stride/ Dance/ Warp someone up to him ASAP.

I haven’t reached this point at Maddening yet but I do believe beating DK stops reinforcements (correct me if I’m wrong) so if Caspar is trained enough it might be optimal to try to Brave Axe/Gauntlet him immediately. It doesn’t end the chapter until you rout everyone else, as I’ve taken him out first turn on my previous BL runs.

4 minutes ago, Escape the Fate said:

I haven’t reached this point at Maddening yet but I do believe beating DK stops reinforcements (correct me if I’m wrong) so if Caspar is trained enough it might be optimal to try to Brave Axe/Gauntlet him immediately. It doesn’t end the chapter until you rout everyone else, as I’ve taken him out first turn on my previous BL runs.

Thanks! I'll have to try that out the next time I play! Is it ever possible for Mercedes to kill him?

25 minutes ago, Escape the Fate said:

Sadly it does not stop the reinforcement from coming. Best advice was as said not to rush up the stairs with other units. At least that definitely triggers the reinforcement instantly.

Edited by Stroud

23 minutes ago, LegendOfLoog said:

My strategy was to not move Mercedes and Caspar at all until I cleared a path on the right side for them to retreat. Before sending any of your units up the stairs/cliff to the Death Knight, get them out pronto because moving past that point is what spawns the reinforcements. Once they’re out, trigger the reinforcements (keep in mind the Dark Knights that spawn in the center left forest) and deal with those first. Then, take out the Heroes and Snipers that spawn in the northern area. Once all of those reinforcements are gone, you can send your units and Caspar back up to take out the Death Knight. Make sure Caspar gets the killing blow for the DK’s Scythe of Sariel, and rout the remaining enemies. 

Oooh right I see, I was actually using both warp and Stride to get Seteth on the upper hill at the end of first turn, so that's why the reinforcements popped. By trying to cheese the game, I doomed myself. Lesson learned. I'll take my time and it should be alright, Warmaster Caspar will put his Killer Knuckles to good use.

Tempted to try out a NG Crimson Flower run of Maddening as going through Silver Snow (my final route) is a bit boring on Hard. I don't have the DLC though, so I'm wondering if I should wait so I can get those stat boosts.

I have no idea what to expect save for that enemy stats are through the roof, so I have a feeling Gambits will be much more useful in trying to stop enemies from swarming my guys.

Current plans...

Byleth: Myrmidon -> Thief -> Bishop? -> Enlightened One (Levin Sword)
Edelgard: Fighter -> Brigand -> Armored Lord -> Emperor

Hubert: Mage -> Dark Mage -> Dark Bishop
Shamir: Sniper -> Bow Knight // Recruit When Needed?

Petra: Myrmidon -> Thief -> Assassin
Dorothea: Monk -> Mage -> Dancer

Felix: Mercenary -> Swordmaster // Recruit ASAP
Ingrid: Pegasus Knight -> Falcon Knight // Wait until she is past Level 10.

Lysithea: Mage -> Warlock -> Gremory // Recruit ASAP
Linhardt: Monk -> Priest  -> Bishop
Lorenz: Recruit for Gloucester Staff, then ditch him.

As for why I chose these...

Spoiler

Byleth - Going vanilla and to mimic my first run where I mostly had Byleth as a Levin Sword+ wielder. His Faith skills allows him to support his allies when he is not busy.
Edelgard - Also vanilla, but this time I know to promote and stay as an Emperor instead of trying to master Armored Lord first.

Hubert - Hubert turned out great as he is basically on par with Lysithea. Also, he's exclusive to this route, so yeah, I'm using him. This time around though, he's definitely getting the Dark Mage and Dark Bishop classes. I have the strats!
Shamir - Shamir replaces Bernie as my main archer as Shamir can actually kill things and has great starting stats. Thing is, I don't know if I should get her early or wait a bit so she gets some auto levels from being a Sniper.

Petra - My beloved dodge tank and crit assassin. Petra is great, fun to use, and she always turned out well for me. While I could make her into a flier, I had her as an Assassin the first time around, and she'll stay as an Assassin.
Dorothea - Dorothea gets Physic and Meteor, which allows her to contribute even if she is not on the front lines. Dorothea being a Dancer allows my more powerful units to do things, which is likely essential on Maddening.

Felix: Everyone knows how powerful Felix is. In a mode like Maddening, having such power is rather important. He replaces Caspar as I never really got Caspar to work in my playthroughs.
Ingrid: This time around I'm getting a flier, and Ingrid is one of the best fliers around. I believe this is mainly due to auto-leveling, which is why she is recruited later than the others.

Lysithea: It's Lysithea, the bane of Death Knights everywhere. I need not say more.
Linhardt: While Lindhardt under-performs in combat, he is an excellent support unit due to having Physic and Warp. Warp is a big deal, and Linhardt is part of the Black Eagles, which is why he stays.

Lorenz: Gloucester Staff for Lysithea. That +2 Range is too good to pass up, and I'll probably need it.
Bernadetta: While I love her character, she gets to stay at home this time around as her stats sorta suck.
Caspar: Never got Caspar to work for me and I need slots for other characters, so he gets benched.
Ferdinand: A part of me wants to keep Ferdinand and make him into a Wyvern Lord. Alas, there's only 10 slots for the majority of the game. Ferdie may join up late-game when the deployment slots open up, otherwise he'll like be the pair-up unit for most battles.

Get Shamir ASAP if you plan to use her as a main battle unit. IIRC her Speed stat will not improve at all via auto-leveling until 15 (and you can recruit her as early as 9) because her "true" bases + growths don't reach Sniper base until then. Not to mention getting Sniper bases at level 9 is broken in itself (same for Catherine on other routes with her level 9 SM bases).

On NG you might have issues getting Lysithea in time, Bernadetta gets Vengeance at Lance C and some people have used that to kill DK. Personally, I'd use her until you get Shamir and then look at her stats and decide based on how well she's grown. She does have an easily abused personal skill (and +5 damage on Maddening is massive, especially early on) and her natural class progression means she doesn't need to expose herself to danger. Not to mention you can level her some more via Adjutant status for maps that allow more than 10.

Also, I'd personally consider Bishop in Advanced instead of Warlock for Lysithea. She does not benefit at all from Blackx2 and Black Tomefaire. Bishop makes her heals stronger at least, and Nosferatu if you bother using it, plus an extra Warp. Only thing Warlock does for her is Bowbreaker (vs. Bishop's Renewal)

Edited by Ivan Tridelan

11 minutes ago, Sire said:

Tempted to try out a NG Crimson Flower run of Maddening as going through Silver Snow (my final route) is a bit boring on Hard. I don't have the DLC though, so I'm wondering if I should wait so I can get those stat boosts.

I have no idea what to expect save for that enemy stats are through the roof, so I have a feeling Gambits will be much more useful in trying to stop enemies from swarming my guys.

Current plans...

Byleth: Myrmidon -> Thief -> Bishop? -> Enlightened One (Levin Sword)
Edelgard: Fighter -> Brigand -> Armored Lord -> Emperor

Hubert: Mage -> Dark Mage -> Dark Bishop
Shamir: Sniper -> Bow Knight // Recruit When Needed?

Petra: Myrmidon -> Thief -> Assassin
Dorothea: Monk -> Mage -> Dancer

Felix: Mercenary -> Swordmaster // Recruit ASAP
Ingrid: Pegasus Knight -> Falcon Knight // Wait until she is past Level 10.

Lysithea: Mage -> Warlock -> Gremory // Recruit ASAP
Linhardt: Monk -> Priest  -> Bishop
Lorenz: Recruit for Gloucester Staff, then ditch him.

As for why I chose these...

Hide contents

Byleth - Going vanilla and to mimic my first run where I mostly had Byleth as a Levin Sword+ wielder. His Faith skills allows him to support his allies when he is not busy.
Edelgard - Also vanilla, but this time I know to promote and stay as an Emperor instead of trying to master Armored Lord first.

Hubert - Hubert turned out great as he is basically on par with Lysithea. Also, he's exclusive to this route, so yeah, I'm using him. This time around though, he's definitely getting the Dark Mage and Dark Bishop classes. I have the strats!
Shamir - Shamir replaces Bernie as my main archer as Shamir can actually kill things and has great starting stats. Thing is, I don't know if I should get her early or wait a bit so she gets some auto levels from being a Sniper. 

Petra - My beloved dodge tank and crit assassin. Petra is great, fun to use, and she always turned out well for me. While I could make her into a flier, I had her as an Assassin the first time around, and she'll stay as an Assassin.
Dorothea - Dorothea gets Physic and Meteor, which allows her to contribute even if she is not on the front lines. Dorothea being a Dancer allows my more powerful units to do things, which is likely essential on Maddening.

Felix: Everyone knows how powerful Felix is. In a mode like Maddening, having such power is rather important. He replaces Caspar as I never really got Caspar to work in my playthroughs.
Ingrid: This time around I'm getting a flier, and Ingrid is one of the best fliers around. I believe this is mainly due to auto-leveling, which is why she is recruited later than the others.

Lysithea: It's Lysithea, the bane of Death Knights everywhere. I need not say more.
Linhardt: While Lindhardt under-performs in combat, he is an excellent support unit due to having Physic and Warp. Warp is a big deal, and Linhardt is part of the Black Eagles, which is why he stays.

Lorenz: Gloucester Staff for Lysithea. That +2 Range is too good to pass up, and I'll probably need it.
Bernadetta: While I love her character, she gets to stay at home this time around as her stats sorta suck.
Caspar: Never got Caspar to work for me and I need slots for other characters, so he gets benched.
Ferdinand: A part of me wants to keep Ferdinand and make him into a Wyvern Lord. Alas, there's only 10 slots for the majority of the game. Ferdie may join up late-game when the deployment slots open up, otherwise he'll like be the pair-up unit for most battles.

Regarding Shamir: She does not get significantly better if you wait to recruit her. It's best to recruit her as soon as you can.

Maddening is fun. Finally the training wheels are off.

Finished the 1st run on BL, now I am on BE (probably Silver Snow because I suspect CF has insane difficulty spikes). Some notes:

Spoiler
  • BL has easily the best starting roster
    • Dedue is the only unit that has a realistic Enemy phase. That means not only can he block enemy paths reliably but also weaken them so you can feed them to your weaker units.
      • However, I ditched him past Chapter 5 as by that point my roster promoted out of paper status and could actually start fighting.
      • Any mage that touches him will kill him and you start seeing a lot of them.
      • In comparision BE get their butt handed to them because none of them can take hits. Ugh, the BE units are so bad.
    • Annette's Rally utility as I said multiple times is a great boon and even more so on Maddening. She starts off with Rally Str, then gets Res and Spd. She didn't fight at all though and later on she chimed in when I wanted to warp-skip a chapter.
      • If I do GD I suspect Raphael and Ignatz occupying the same niche.
    • Felix is the best combat unit in the earlygame. His talent, Crest and good Bow Arts allow him to deal heavy damage to enemies which is another way to feed EXP to your roster. His good Str and Spd also makes him very likely the first unit to actually ORKO enemies. 
      • If you didn't set your goals to give him a Wyvern though it's going to take way too much time and he wants his Bow rank for Heavy Draw. I just kept him as a Bow Knight so he can circumvent his paper-thin durability.
    • Dimitri is a bit lacking because of his low base Spd but once he overcomes that he will probably grow fine. Unfortunately his class options are rather limited and giving him a horse could make his Spd unsalvageable.
    • The rest has good Spd to keep up with the stat inflation in Maddening.
      • Sylvain and Ingrid start off mediocre but obviously they grow into good units and at least they have Tempest Lance to get some kills early on. Ingrid carried my run hard and made a lot of early paralogues easier (especially Lorenz's one).
      • Surprisingly I found Ashe to be fairly strong in Maddening compared to Hard mode. 9 Base Spd allowed him to escape being doubled earlier than the above two and having Curved Shot from the get-go is also useful to chip in the earlygame. Combined with his decent weapons talents (Lance, Axe, Bow) he made for a solid Wyvern Lord who wasn't even that much worse than Sylvain. I wouldn't put him on the same level as him but I can think of many students in BE or GD who are much worse on a pure combat level.
  • I managed to recruit every single student at the expense of keeping Byleth in his Enlightened One class.
    • Male Byleth really doesn't have great options tbh, Cavalier eats his Spd alive and Wyvern Rider requires a lot of tutoring and comes late. Bow Knight also requires a lot of dedication.
    • On that note F!Byleth will make your runs a lot easier just by having a flying class a lot earlier.
  • It's better to recruit early if you plan to use the unit in question because class requirements are a lot more stricter in this mode. I wouldn't recommend using any recruits past Chapter 6. Your current roster should absolutely be ahead than fresh recruits at that point and even more so the enemies. 
  • My experience on some cross recruits I used:
    • Lysithea is an absolute necessity for BL due to her early warp and you don't want to wait for Manuela (who takes an eternity to get to A in this mode). Unfortunately I barely missed Warp for Ch.5 (which made that chapter so much harder) but beyond that I think this is the one unit you absolutely want to recruit.
    • Petra turned out to be very disappointing for a cross recruit (Ch.4). She is too frail and she wastes a lot of her class exp in Swords. Unlike Ingrid or Hilda she doesn't have a talent in Lances so making her a Pegasus Knight takes a lot longer. I just reclassed her as a Brigand and even then it was not good. She was benched before Ch.9.
    • Speaking of which Hilda was actually decent for a rather late recruit (Ch.7 so I don't have to face her lunacy in the Battle of Eagle and Lions). Part of it is because of her ridicilous stats but she also levels both Axes and Lances making it easy to focus on Flying to round out her kit.
    • Linhardt makes for a good cross recruit even late because you don't care about his combat. You use this guy for his spells and he does a fairly decent job for your additional deployment slots later in the game.
    • The big 3 prepromotes (Catherine, Shamir, Seteth) are great to have because they are the only units that realistically outdo the enemies by the time they join and two of them have great ranks.
      • Catherine is imo a bit suspect though. I would say I recruited her early (start of Ch.6) and even then it took a long time before she was on a Pegasus. Working from E all the way to C Lances sucks.
      • Seteth and Shamir in comparision have low Spd but that's easier to fix with Speed Carrots and Brave weapons.

On 9/21/2019 at 7:58 PM, Stroud said:

Yeah, this chapter really can be the end of the line which is frustrating. Which is why I am a fan of having multiple savestats. But this game only has 5 until now.. Unless I want to have more profiles.

I'm currently on my fourth profile as we speak. There's so much optimization possible during the monastery phase, I go back very often. Plus I don't want to lose my cleared/almost cleared saves because there's a lot of useful data on them, although not everyone will care for that.

Edit: Oh woops, forgot I didn't check this thread in a while... thought that was the last page:x

Edited by Cysx

The problem I'm currently having with CF Chapter 18 on Maddening are the Pegasus Knights, which have 38 Strength, and they're faster than many of my units. I can take Gilbert with no problem, and I can Warp into Rhea's room and break a barrier, but the Pegasus Knights are screwing everything up, especially since more of them show up as reinforcements.

Edited by VallaKnight12

9 hours ago, Cysx said:

I'm currently on my fourth profile as we speak. There's so much optimization possible during the monastery phase, I go back very often. Plus I don't want to lose my cleared/almost cleared saves because there's a lot of useful data on them, although not everyone will care for that.

Edit: Oh woops, forgot I didn't check this thread in a while... thought that was the last page:x

Dang, sometimes it happens to me too. I expect to page to jump to the most recent stuff and sometimes I just don't pay attention and comment on older stuff. 

Yeah, I also try to keep some endgame savefiles. I don't bother much with perfectionism here though and I guess with the next dlc,s I might start on another run and overwrite something. Would be just better to have the possibility to save up more and at least 2-3 savefiles for backtracking in case something goes wrong. But in FE I actually can deal with it better than in some other rpg,s.