Maddening mode is out

Nobody

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Wait, so that actually stops reinforcements? And here I thought it was just a way to cripple yourself...

When the fire attack is launched, the units close to Randolph move to the north and get burnt/immobilised, and as soon as then can move they start to flee south and leave the map. This is a very good way to beat an otherwise very painful map (those darn Pegasus). It gets funny as you can start to poke ennemies as they flee.

1 hour ago, DefyingFates said:

Wait, so that actually stops reinforcements? And here I thought it was just a way to cripple yourself...

Pretty sure it does. And all the injured units run away, so it really speeds up the map. The AI is kind of weird though because if you’re in an enemy’s attack range, they’ll sometimes turn around. You do want to get rid of the fliers first though because it’s a lot harder to reach them or run away with the fire all over.

Today, during one of my attempts at Crimson Flower Chapter 18 on Maddening Mode, I decided to bait the four Pegasus Knights in Rhea's room, each with Impregnable Wall, and kill them, and then Warp Byleth and Edelgard into Rhea's room after Striding them, with Wyvern Lord Ashe hanging above the wall, ready to enter Rhea's room as well, and they both can take a hit form Rhea, and she can't double them, so Rhea, in my opinion, seems to be easy, despite the buffs to her level and stats and even got one health bar gone, but I still lost due to Paladins, but I'm getting confident with this Warp+Stride strategy, I just have to keep my Warpers and Striders, as well as Mercades alive.

2 hours ago, Wazoo said:

When the fire attack is launched, the units close to Randolph move to the north and get burnt/immobilised, and as soon as then can move they start to flee south and leave the map. This is a very good way to beat an otherwise very painful map (those darn Pegasus). It gets funny as you can start to poke ennemies as they flee.

2 hours ago, LegendOfLoog said:

Pretty sure it does. And all the injured units run away, so it really speeds up the map. The AI is kind of weird though because if you’re in an enemy’s attack range, they’ll sometimes turn around. You do want to get rid of the fliers first though because it’s a lot harder to reach them or run away with the fire all over.

Thanks, you two! Yeah, it does sound like triggering the fire trap is much more important in Maddening. Did you two bother chasing the fleeing enemies down or did you just let them go?

2 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Thanks, you two! Yeah, it does sound like triggering the fire trap is much more important in Maddening. Did you two bother chasing the fleeing enemies down or did you just let them go?

By the time I managed to launch the fire attack I was so terrified of the Pegasus Knights (+ the annoying ballista) that I kept more than half of my units on the upper west side until I was sure there was no risks whatsoever. The rest of my team were in the south-east, and I tried to attack some fleeing units, targeting specifically those who drop items (and to grind a bit). But I was very careful, by that time I only had 1 or 2 divine pulses.

6 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

Yeah, can confirm you require to get the SM to get onto the Onager on the bottom right. I originally kept moving my units away from the section of the map to rush the boss. Took a lot of retries with Dimitri and vantage/killer+/battalion wrath and finally happened to kill Randolph. But without the SM reaching his destination, you have to some how route the enemy while constant respawn every other turn. Was very confusing when they spawned after Randolph died and killing everyone in their way.

Its practically kinda just survive till you kill those few units bottom right

Edited by Johnzin

7 minutes ago, Wazoo said:

By the time I managed to launch the fire attack I was so terrified of the Pegasus Knights (+ the annoying ballista) that I kept more than half of my units on the upper west side until I was sure there was no risks whatsoever. The rest of my team were in the south-east, and I tried to attack some fleeing units, targeting specifically those who drop items (and to grind a bit). But I was very careful, by that time I only had 1 or 2 divine pulses.

What kind of items?

6 minutes ago, Johnzin said:

Yeah, can confirm you require to get the SM to get onto the Onager on the bottom right. I originally kept moving my units away from the section of the map to rush the boss. Took a lot of retries with Dimitri and vantage/killer+/battalion wrath and finally happened. But without the SM reaching his destination, you have to some how route the enemy while constant respawn every other turn. Was very confusing when they spawned after Randolph died and killing everyone in their way.

Its practically kinda just survive till you kill those few units bottom right

Thanks! I'll have to keep an eye out when I get around to playing this!

I'm doing Chapter 14 on CF. I remember this chapter was a piece of cake for me on Hard, but man, this is hell. How the hell do you beat this? If I go right side, I get smacked by wyvern riders who sometimes double/one-shot my units. If I manage to beat them, my units die because of the 100000 bow knights spawned at the beginning. If I try to go middle, I get destroyed by 100 enemies + reinforcements. If someone has any tips, I'm all ears. I have got Felix (Assassin), Petra (WR), Sylvain (WL), El(Emperor), Bernadetta (Sniper), Dorothea (Warlock), Linhardt (Bishop), Ferdinand (Paladin), both heavely RNG-screwed Leonie (Paladin) and Hubert (Warlock).

1 hour ago, DefyingFates said:

I let them go. I wasn’t really getting much XP from them, so I just focused on the ones with droppables. One of the Armors had a Prayer or Goddess Ring, not that I ever really use those. I think there was another item, but I doubt it was particularly important because I can’t remember it. 

Edit: On an unrelated note, does anyone know if there’s any way to get the Sword of Seiros? I tried stealing it off Edelgard at the Battle of Gronder, but the game wouldn’t let me even though my unit had more Speed. 

Edited by LegendOfLoog

31 minutes ago, LegendOfLoog said:

Edit: On an unrelated note, does anyone know if there’s any way to get the Sword of Seiros?

It's unobtainable. I don't think you can Steal weapons either, equipped or not.

31 minutes ago, LegendOfLoog said:

I let them go. I wasn’t really getting much XP from them

I forgot about that. Must have been rough, huh?

Edited by DefyingFates

24 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

It's unobtainable. I don't think you can Steal weapons either, equipped or not.

I forgot about that. Must have been rough, huh?

Ah, that’s too bad; it’s basically Lifetaker without needing to KO. I guess that is too strong to give to the player. 

It was tough because of how long I had to wait for them all to retreat, lol. 4 Move Mages and Armors walking through fire tiles take quite some time to leave, but it was more dangerous to step in their range because of their odd AI coupled with not being able to Canto away because of said fire tiles. Definitely not my favorite map although it’s not my least favorite either (Annette’s Paralogue is way more tedious).

my strategy for chapter 14 BL was: stride first obviously, use gambits to immobilize a large ammount of units, send a flying unit to take care of the archer on the ballista, rescue him back with Flayn (really glad I did not bench her btw) and put a tanky unit on the chockepoint so as to not get swarmed while I cleaned up the remaining enemies
then slowly moved forwards so my slower units (archer and gilbert) could catch up and deal with the constantly spawning falcon knights (brave bow and tanky units with lancebreaker)

then aggroed the boss so that he moved towards me while my army was still out of range of the spawning reinforcements (had to keep units in place with gambits to do so)

overall I did not find that chapter to be extremely difficult, hardest part was probably figuring out how to bait the boss while not getting surrounded

5 hours ago, Spectrum said:

I'm doing Chapter 14 on CF. I remember this chapter was a piece of cake for me on Hard, but man, this is hell. How the hell do you beat this? If I go right side, I get smacked by wyvern riders who sometimes double/one-shot my units. If I manage to beat them, my units die because of the 100000 bow knights spawned at the beginning. If I try to go middle, I get destroyed by 100 enemies + reinforcements. If someone has any tips, I'm all ears. I have got Felix (Assassin), Petra (WR), Sylvain (WL), El(Emperor), Bernadetta (Sniper), Dorothea (Warlock), Linhardt (Bishop), Ferdinand (Paladin), both heavely RNG-screwed Leonie (Paladin) and Hubert (Warlock).

Have you tried to use the Impregnable Wall Gambit? I employed that strategy in Chapter 14 on CF on Maddening Mode starting on one of my tries.

Edited by VallaKnight12

2 hours ago, AxelVDP said:

my strategy for chapter 14 BL was: stride first obviously, use gambits to immobilize a large ammount of units, send a flying unit to take care of the archer on the ballista, rescue him back with Flayn (really glad I did not bench her btw) and put a tanky unit on the chockepoint so as to not get swarmed while I cleaned up the remaining enemies
then slowly moved forwards so my slower units (archer and gilbert) could catch up and deal with the constantly spawning falcon knights (brave bow and tanky units with lancebreaker)

then aggroed the boss so that he moved towards me while my army was still out of range of the spawning reinforcements (had to keep units in place with gambits to do so)

overall I did not find that chapter to be extremely difficult, hardest part was probably figuring out how to bait the boss while not getting surrounded

Oh man I didn't know you had to get the fire attack from Gilbert dialogue. Been skipping all dialogue since it's 5th playthrough yet still forgot. I was so close to just quitting the maddening for a week or so because I legit thought after killing Randolph and still spawn peg knights. I thought was suppose to kill every enemy at the same time. 

2 hours ago, VallaKnight12 said:

Have you tried to use the Impregnable Wall Gambit? I employed that strategy in Chapter 14 on CF on Maddening Mode starting on one of my tries.

I did. But I still get overwhelmed by the number of enemies honestly. I'll have to try it again while going in the middle instead of the right side

50 minutes ago, Spectrum said:

I did. But I still get overwhelmed by the number of enemies honestly. I'll have to try it again while going in the middle instead of the right side

So, I actually beat this very easily on my 3rd try. My mistake was that I underestimated my units a lot. I pushed the middle side and had Petra and Sylvain kill the enemies who send reinforcements. They did this before any of the reinforcements spawned. After that, I sent El to the last tile they can attack and used impregnable wall on her if she needed it. She baited one enemy at a time and then my other units kill the enemies who push. As for the Wyvern riders, they are complete joke against Bernie+Hunter's Volley. She took em out until they stopped spawning.

4 hours ago, Spectrum said:

So, I actually beat this very easily on my 3rd try. My mistake was that I underestimated my units a lot. I pushed the middle side and had Petra and Sylvain kill the enemies who send reinforcements. They did this before any of the reinforcements spawned. After that, I sent El to the last tile they can attack and used impregnable wall on her if she needed it. She baited one enemy at a time and then my other units kill the enemies who push. As for the Wyvern riders, they are complete joke against Bernie+Hunter's Volley. She took em out until they stopped spawning.

Yeah, Hunter's Volley is the main reason I don't promote my Bernie to Bow Knight. My first playthrough was a CF and I ended up pretty underwhelmed by her, but now in my Maddening SS playthrough she's one of my most useful units! +20 precision + Deadeye + Encloser + Persecution + Hunter's Volley, she can hit extremely far with very good aim, keeping herself out of trouble while efficiently chipping/killing ennemies, and Encloser allows her to endlessly neutralize one monster. She consumes her bows very fast, but that's not a big issue in this game. I just had to feed her some strength bonuses ofc.

1 hour ago, Wazoo said:

Yeah, Hunter's Volley is the main reason I don't promote my Bernie to Bow Knight. My first playthrough was a CF and I ended up pretty underwhelmed by her, but now in my Maddening SS playthrough she's one of my most useful units! +20 precision + Deadeye + Encloser + Persecution + Hunter's Volley, she can hit extremely far with very good aim, keeping herself out of trouble while efficiently chipping/killing ennemies, and Encloser allows her to endlessly neutralize one monster. She consumes her bows very fast, but that's not a big issue in this game. I just had to feed her some strength bonuses ofc.

I think Sniper is actually the floor for character performance, for physical units anyway. If you can do nothing else better, you should go Brigand/Archer -> Sniper and stay there, because it allows almost anyone to kill reliably and reasonably safely.

Edited by Cysx

3 hours ago, Cysx said:

I think Sniper is actually the floor for character performance, for physical units anyway. If you can do nothing else better, you should go Brigand/Archer -> Sniper and stay there, because it allows almost anyone to kill reliably and reasonably safely.

I can totally understand this. Right now my Cyril is wyvern Lord, but his only use with his death blow and point blank is to kill peg knights and canto out for dance to do it again since they come in pairs

Doesn't ever use an axe

Edited by Johnzin

Bows are top tier. Lots of units will only provide chip, so archer/sniper seems an obvious choice. +Hit is great, +range is great, and bows are great (stats and skills). Even going from archer to non-sniper works well for 3 range curved shots. Some units get close counter too, which allows bows on enemy phase. I completely agree that archer/sniper is the performance floor for physical units because it's low cost and very effective. There's an argument for archer -> paladin/wyvern/peg for canto, but sniper would hit harder/more reliably and cost less.

On another one of my tries today, I, again, got a health bar off of Rhea. I lost again because Byleth, Edelgard, and Felix couldn't dodge her AOE, and they all died due to some enemy units. My Wyvern Lord Ashe could've done more damage to her, but he got killed in her room before I could begin the assault. I'm not giving up, especially after getting one of her three/four health bars down, and I already feel proud of the Warp+Stride strategy I currently have going on.

Edited by VallaKnight12

13 minutes ago, VallaKnight12 said:

On another one of my tries today, I, again, got a health bar off of Rhea. I lost again because Byleth, Edelgard, and Felix couldn't dodge her AOE, and they all died due to some enemy units. My Wyvern Lord Ashe could've done more damage to her, but he got killed in her room before I could begin the assault. I'm not giving up, especially after getting one of her three/four health bars down, and I already feel proud of the Warp+Stride strategy I currently have going on.

You can do it, good luck!!

3 hours ago, Centh said:

Bows are top tier. Lots of units will only provide chip, so archer/sniper seems an obvious choice. +Hit is great, +range is great, and bows are great (stats and skills). Even going from archer to non-sniper works well for 3 range curved shots. Some units get close counter too, which allows bows on enemy phase. I completely agree that archer/sniper is the performance floor for physical units because it's low cost and very effective. There's an argument for archer -> paladin/wyvern/peg for canto, but sniper would hit harder/more reliably and cost less. 

5 hours ago, Johnzin said:

I can totally understand this. Right now my Cyril is wyvern Lord, but his only use with his death blow and point blank is to kill peg knights and canto out for dance to do it again since they come in pairs

Doesn't ever use an axe

Thanks, you two! That's something to keep in mind!

I guess my BL maddening run is over. I’m at the first fight after the timeskip. There is no way to win this map with the characters they give me. 

It sounds like people are beating it by sending a flyer to trigger the other side? The game isn’t giving me Ingrid. 

As soon as I aggro one thief they all rush. Is there some way to cheese it? Because it’s unwinnable with this config and my bench players.

2 hours ago, Dillthepill said:

I guess my BL maddening run is over. I’m at the first fight after the timeskip. There is no way to win this map with the characters they give me. 

It sounds like people are beating it by sending a flyer to trigger the other side? The game isn’t giving me Ingrid. 

As soon as I aggro one thief they all rush. Is there some way to cheese it? Because it’s unwinnable with this config and my bench players.

If you didn't train the ones in your core house units that the game is giving you on the first few turns, the chances that you beat the map are unfortunately slim. On my SS run I bought a lot of time by puting byleth in the bushes near the main entrance with a Wo Dao and lots of elixirs. It cleared a few assassins and thieves and byleth survived thanks to a bit of RNG luck while seteth went to help the north west units. But on BL you're "stuck" with Dimitri so I guess that's not a viable option.

I don't remember on which turn your remaining units spawn at the north east corner, but if it's later than turn 6 (I believe the thieves start advancing by themselves if you didn't aggro them before) then they probably won't have time to come and save the day 😞

You might survive if you're willing to sacrifice your benched units to buy time for Byleth and Dimitri to escape, but that's not a price I would pay. This is such an unforgiving chapter unfortunately