Maddening mode is out

Nobody

I just finished 3H for the first time on Hard Classic GD, and I have two questions about Maddening.

First, does Maddening fix the nonaggression most enemies display in this game on at minimum the entire 2nd half?

• It's a little stupid I could be in the throne room of a certain map, and have the entire center, center-east, and southeast just staying their as their liege was being pounced on. The nonaggression of enemies meant I controlled their every movement and was at no risk of losing if I just kept out of enemy ranges and didn't walk until I was comfortable.

Second, does Maddening add all this "cheap BS" I've heard secondhand about in 3H?

• One chapter had temporary Fog of War. A certain map had Donovan suddenly gaining the ability to move and flee to an exit which I stood no chance of stopping him from getting to on the first play. There was the ginormous statsticks of the final boss and certain important faces. And there was the one time reinforcements teleport behind me. 

But there were no same-turn reinforcements. Nothing that caused be to have to burn a Pulse every turn. I mean I was prepared to Pulse if a high Crit boss landed a lobber, and if too many good accuracy hits missed on one of said select few bosses, but those aren't unpredictable instances of "true" BS as I see it.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I just finished 3H for the first time on Hard Classic GD, and I have two questions about Maddening.

First, does Maddening fix the nonaggression most enemies display in this game on at minimum the entire 2nd half?

• It's a little stupid I could be in the throne room of a certain map, and have the entire center, center-east, and southeast just staying their as their liege was being pounced on. The nonaggression of enemies meant I controlled their every movement and was at no risk of losing if I just kept out of enemy ranges and didn't walk until I was comfortable.

Second, does Maddening add all this "cheap BS" I've heard secondhand about in 3H?

• One chapter had temporary Fog of War. A certain map had Donovan suddenly gaining the ability to move and flee to an exit which I stood no chance of stopping him from getting to on the first play. There was the ginormous statsticks of the final boss and certain important faces. And there was the one time reinforcements teleport behind me. 

But there were no same-turn reinforcements. Nothing that caused be to have to burn a Pulse every turn. I mean I was prepared to Pulse if a high Crit boss landed a lobber, and if too many good accuracy hits missed on one of said select few bosses, but those aren't unpredictable instances of "true" BS as I see it.

Sadly for the aggression of the enemy doesn't seem to change. There's more enemies and some higher tier enemies appear on many maps. Some bosses do move like Kostas but this could be good or bad. Like the death knight moves in chapter 4 and if you are strong enough to deal with him. He's easier to take down than hard mode because he's not on an avoid tile. If you can't then you have to split your army into 2 and  reach for the actual boss.

Cheap bullshit? Well there's some really cheap same turn reinforcements like the valley of torment and chapter 5. It's kind of justified with divine pulse but it's a cheap death most of the time when it happens. Overstatted bosses, I haven't done the other routes on maddening but I assume Crimson Flower Dimitri is a real pain. I know the final boss of silver snow is a big pain because of certain skills but that applies on all difficulties.

As for enemy stat inflation. It was probably needed but the one thing that hasn't really changed much is enemy hit rates. A lot of enemies can be very inaccurate and can be easily dodge tanked with alert stance enemy phase strats. 

2 hours ago, PPPPPPP270 said:

As for enemy stat inflation. It was probably needed but the one thing that hasn't really changed much is enemy hit rates. A lot of enemies can be very inaccurate and can be easily dodge tanked with alert stance enemy phase strats. 

Enemy hit rates are higher on Maddening, since they have higher levels in weapon prowess and have more dexterity. They just aren't significantly higher, because going from prowess level 3 to level 5 only adds +3-7 hit, and each point of dex only adds +1 hit, so even with enemies gaining +5-10 dex across the board that is only +5-10 hit.

This means that most enemies will sit somewhere around 120-140 hit in the endgame on Maddening, compared to 100-130 on Hard. It's an increase, but too low to make dodgetanking a bad strategy. You can still easily exceed 100 avoid with a dodgetank, which means you mostly can't be hit in either mode.

Edited by Silly

Not sure what you're implying; Crimson Flower Maddening was already plenty feasible. It even lacks the standard Chapter 13 which is seen as one of the major trouble points for Maddening by many people.

That said obviously any more good PCs can only help, and it sounds like he's pretty good.

2 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Not sure what you're implying; Crimson Flower Maddening was already plenty feasible. It even lacks the standard Chapter 13 which is seen as one of the major trouble points for Maddening by many people.

That said obviously any more good PCs can only help, and it sounds like he's pretty good.

Fair point. I just got the impression here that Crimson Flower was one of the toughest routes because of a sharper difficulty curve.

By the way, can you get the new title screen by completing Maddening on Casual? I remember hearing someone got it this way but nothing definitive. Thanks in advance!

6 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

Fair point. I just got the impression here that Crimson Flower was one of the toughest routes because of a sharper difficulty curve.

By the way, can you get the new title screen by completing Maddening on Casual? I remember hearing someone got it this way but nothing definitive. Thanks in advance!

Yes, you can get it on casual.

• 5 months later...

A bit off topic ,but in Path of Radiance, do the enemies in the trial maps on Hard mode have higher stats than the enemies in trial maps on normal mode? Also, do the enemies in the trial maps in Maniac mode have higher stats than the enemies in trial maps on hard mode? When I say this, I mean if i beat the game on Hard mode, and use my hard mode save file to do a trial map, will the enemies on that trial map have higher stats than if i used my normal mode save file for that trial map? Thanks