Translation of the new Sakurai Column

Jedi

This is gonna be a series of tweets so overlapping might just happen because of how tweet imbedding works. 

From what i'm getting from this, those 16 placeholder slots might be plausible after all, Sakurai wants this to go as hard as he can, i'm pretty much getting the vibe that this is his last dance with smash.

Edited by Jedi

"As long as Sakurai can please someone with the addition of a new fighter, then it's best for him to work on the game."

What selflessness. But sadly, humanity is insatiable. Sakurai does not realize his work will have no end, he will toil in love's labor for the rest of existence. Such a twisted life cannot stand. 

*Sells soul to a dark god*

I will annihilate humanity to free the noblest soul that is from the avarice of Man! I am the liberator of the good-  Intah Sams! 

*Cough*

Good information.🙂

And the larger than scale(?) Sandbag is adorable. I want to hug it. But, if it consents to being punched and likes it, I'll do that instead.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

19 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

"As long as Sakurai can please someone with the addition of a new fighter, then it's best for him to work on the game."

Yeah this statement alone just shows how nutty this is gonna get imo haha.

I feel like he's doing this just so he can say "if I can't out do my previous work, I won't do it"

The man is probably the most committed to their project I've ever seen. I kind hope he decides that if he does want to continue  to just port this game over to the next system with like 10 or so new characters. 

He deserves a lifetime achievement award at the next big game awards show. 

Wow, we may get more DLC than we thought. Sakurai is really putting his all in this. Props to the man, he's so selfless.

If they're really gonna go all out, I hope they do more than just add a bunch of third-party characters. Promote a couple Assist Trophies, and add a couple first-party characters like Dixie Kong and Impa in addition to all these third-party crossovers.

Words could not express my contempt for you, yes you reading this. Because I know you asked for more more more. Yet another year of Sakurai at his cold, ungrateful desk. What a shame.

But then I heard his explanation in the banjo presentation and it gave me pause. Just wanting to pad the record. Am I not guilty of the same behavior? Don't I know hundreds of speedrunners that make the same choice every day? Nobody throws themselves into their passions unwillingly. Sakurai is no prisoner, he could say no. Respect the man's wish. It may well be his dying one.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

What selflessness. But sadly, humanity is insatiable. Sakurai does not realize his work will have no end, he will toil in love's labor for the rest of existence. Such a twisted life cannot stand. 

*Sells soul to a dark god*

There are quite a few appealing options...I wouldn't do Duma tho. I don't think Sakurai would look good with purple skin. 

In all seriousness, kudos to Sakurai. We don't deserve someone like him. 

https://www.sourcegaming.info/2019/09/11/sakurai-talks-more-about-smash-ultimate-dlc-development/

The full translation is here 

I have already announced that the fighters in this iteration were chosen because of Nintendo. After the 5 fighters in the Fighters Pass were decided on, we were able to start developing the new fighters before the Fighters Pass was distributed. Lately, I’ve wanted to elaborate on this story. First, again, the fighter lineup is basically decided by Nintendo. Naturally since they’re confident in me, they would consult me each time asking, “Do you know whether or not you could develop this character?” If the request is unreasonable, I can potentially refuse them.