Callion's good. It was worth training him.

I promoted my Callion last chapter, but I forgot to look at his stats. While I was in the deployment window I wondered how he compared to Finn(my lvl. 8 duke knight). I take a look and he is 1 point better in every stat, except for his 2 point deficiance in his build. Now it's Orsin's turn to get trained, because he's still a lvl. 8 fighter on chapter 12.

That's Callion for you. Carrion your fucking run.

I legit think he's one of the best units you recruit from Chapter 8 onward. He's got decent enough growths that with the right scrolls get some serious boosts. His being mounted and having swords puts him in a better place for general use than most cavs not named Fergus.

6 hours ago, Flere210 said:

Elite sword and scrolls allow him to snowball like crazy. Not quite a Fergus but still very good.

Yeah fergus is a beast. Both him and callion are able to use swords mounted and dismounted, making them really useful when compared to other units. I'm unsure of this, but I think he also has a high p.c.c. After his initial attack I find he crits quite reliably.

12 hours ago, This boi uses Nino said:

Wait what makes Fergus so good? I don't play 776 much but it bought swords were typically unnappreaciated for being one range?

Mounted units are forced to dismount on indoor maps (which is a lot of the late game), and when dismounted they can only use swords. Most mounted units go from being great units on outdoor maps, to being crippled by only being able to use E rank swords. A mounted unit that can use and gain sword rank while mounted is incredibly useful, as they can be among your best units on outdoor maps, without being useless on indoor ones. Also there are a fair number of magic swords in this game (one of which you start with, even before considering Leif's personal weapon the light brand) so its not as limiting with 1-2 range as most games, and while this does mean they have to use magic to attack at 1-2 range, that also means you target magic (and thus ignore the ludicrous throne def bonus). Plus like Ced von Lewyn said he has a good PCC (just checked, he has the max of 5), so his crit chance gets multiplied by 5 after his initial attacks. Plus he is one of the only units able to use the Beo sword.

On 9/13/2019 at 4:12 AM, Eltosian Kadath said:

Mounted units are forced to dismount on indoor maps (which is a lot of the late game), and when dismounted they can only use swords. Most mounted units go from being great units on outdoor maps, to being crippled by only being able to use E rank swords. A mounted unit that can use and gain sword rank while mounted is incredibly useful, as they can be among your best units on outdoor maps, without being useless on indoor ones. Also there are a fair number of magic swords in this game (one of which you start with, even before considering Leif's personal weapon the light brand) so its not as limiting with 1-2 range as most games, and while this does mean they have to use magic to attack at 1-2 range, that also means you target magic (and thus ignore the ludicrous throne def bonus). Plus like Ced von Lewyn said he has a good PCC (just checked, he has the max of 5), so his crit chance gets multiplied by 5 after his initial attacks. Plus he is one of the only units able to use the Beo sword.

Oh damn lol.

On 9/13/2019 at 3:06 AM, This boi uses Nino said:

Wait what makes Fergus so good? I don't play 776 much but it bought swords were typically unnappreaciated for being one range?

Sword being bad is a new invention from GBA era. In the entire Kaga era Sword is the god and savior of weapon type. This is for various reason that includes: hilariously better bloated variety on sword, accuracy issue especially on 1-2, weight, and godlike user. This is so bad that people jokes that Kaga had a sword boner and Kaga hate Axes(until the Saga games).

The "100 kill Javelin" meme of FE4 is actually a fairly recent development

To put this into perspective one of the criticism for Lance Knight class is their inability to use Sword and its not entirely because of Dismount

In fact this is one of the biggest criticism of FE3. The Dismount mechanic is considered an outright BUFF to the already powerful units like Palla since all they really did is giving those units the ability to take on the best combat specs in the game from Sword. When Dismount become forced you are forced to make your mobile pegasus knight into a form that gave them better combat to begin with

Edited by JSND Alter Dragon Boner

• 2 weeks later...

He is probably the better cavalier from the Selphina squad. I didn't really use him much, I took the Elite Sword for Mareeta instead. But I think Finn is still better, thanks to his Brave Lance and that neat Leadership Star. True Callion has better growth rates in all areas compared to him, yet Finn has an easier start being Lv7 and having better availability. They are both supported by Leif, while Callion is also supported by Selphina, and Finn supported by Nanna - both good choices, while Nanna is slightly better thanks to Charisma. But then Carrion have better movement star and PCC. I guess it's worth using both of them, thank to posible fatigue.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2019 at 11:37 PM, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

To put this into perspective one of the criticism for Lance Knight class is their inability to use Sword and its not entirely because of Dismount

Well that and in FE5, Cavalier is just flat out better then Lance Knight as the two classes literally have all the same functions/stats, except Cavalier can use two weapon types whilst Lance Knight is stuck one with one unless they dismount, in which case they to juggle weapon types in a game where weapon EXP grows at a snails pace.

In FE4, Lance Knight actually had a better deal then Cavalier as it had a B rank in lances, whilst Cavalier's Sword/Lance skill would never move beyond B, in addition to higher stat bases/caps.

On 9/15/2019 at 11:37 PM, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

In fact this is one of the biggest criticism of FE3. The Dismount mechanic is considered an outright BUFF to the already powerful units like Palla since all they really did is giving those units the ability to take on the best combat specs in the game from Sword. When Dismount become forced you are forced to make your mobile pegasus knight into a form that gave them better combat to begin with

To be fair, Palla could wield swords in FE1, so you basically went from a 10 movement Palla who could wield any lance or sword to a 6 movement Palla with swords during the indoor chapters.

9 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Well that and in FE5, Cavalier is just flat out better then Lance Knight as the two classes literally have all the same functions/stats, except Cavalier can use two weapon types whilst Lance Knight is stuck one with one unless they dismount, in which case they to juggle weapon types in a game where weapon EXP grows at a snails pace.

In FE4, Lance Knight actually had a better deal then Cavalier as it had a B rank in lances, whilst Cavalier's Sword/Lance skill would never move beyond B, in addition to higher stat bases/caps.

To be fair, Palla could wield swords in FE1, so you basically went from a 10 movement Palla who could wield any lance or sword to a 6 movement Palla with swords during the indoor chapters.

Remind me again what did B Lance do in 4? I remember Cav can get Brave in 4(a kinda popular argument is to give Brave Sword to Noish for canto brave shenanigans) so i didn't quite remember what weapon ranks did

8 hours ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

Remind me again what did B Lance do in 4? I remember Cav can get Brave in 4(a kinda popular argument is to give Brave Sword to Noish for canto brave shenanigans) so i didn't quite remember what weapon ranks did

B Lance lets you use the: Steel Lance, Silver Lance, and the Brave Lance.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...