This update changed Bernadetta's support with Byleth

Jedi

H6FTuZN.png

RxuZg2s.jpg

Original on top, the alteration as of the recent patch is on the bottom. 

Not only is this unneeded censorship, it kind of makes the support overall make a lot less sense? I'm very confused on why this change was implemented.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that's terrible. Bernadetta is still my favorite female in the game, but that's pretty disturbing if Nintendo of America can't even commit to their own original translation.

I hope someone brings this up with them. Probably won't get an explanation but still...

The nitpicking with "submissive" in a feudal setting where, yes, machism and the patriarchy exist and both have a heavy influence in social dynamics is stupid. It also fits within the context of her line to show how messed up her grooming was, and not that she was simply groomed to be a "good" wife. The way it's written now, her predicament with her upbringing feels botched down and it doesn't convey just how much abuse she had to suffer through, which reflected into her personality.

Love when modern standards are applied out of its context (which is a problem with show!GoT too) and when there's no controversy at all for Nintendo to be bothered about.

Edited by Rapier

I'll be back, I'm going to @ CensoredGaming.

34 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

Interesting too because with this game it'd mean having to change the audio as well. Did they re-record the entire line or just chop up the old one?

It looks like the would just chop it.

____

This is really dumb, she was never controversial, I've even seen articles praising the writing of this support.

2 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

How is this censorship when the worst part is still there?

Looks to me more like back when IS decided to dump down the script in Radiant Dawn.

That was NoA, they rushed the game to market because the Wii was a hot item in 07

3 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

How is this censorship when the worst part is still there?

Looks to me more like back when IS decided to dump down the script in Radiant Dawn.

It's the excised details.

There's a big difference between "good wife" and "good, submissive wife". As well as "tied to a chair", and "tied to a chair all day". It makes the whole thing less damning. It's still "bad"; but no longer "very bad". The worst part is no longer there, unlike what you ask.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

How about checking the Japanese version then?

Again, we know from the Radiant Dawn interview that IS doesn't actually want to have a proper script. If they dumped down the script in Radiant Dawn, why wouldn't they do the same here since they now have the power of patching? Especially since the "dumping down" approach correlates with them making a ton of money.

Edited by BrightBow

*facepalm*
Just... why, IntSys? Why?!? You finally had an actual tragic backstory incorporated into a comic relief character, making said comic relief more sad than tragic and giving context/depth to the lore and world and now this?

This is like... I don't even know what this is.

1 minute ago, BrightBow said:

How about checking the Japanese version then?

Again, we know from Radiant Dawn that IS doesn't want to have a sophisticated script. If they dumped down the script in Radiant Dawn, why wouldn't they do the same here since they now have the power of patching? Especially since the "dumping down" approach correlates with them making a ton of money.

Don't you mean dumbed, not dumped? Anyway, the situation for RD is that the game essentially had two scripts. One used for most difficulties; and the other for the hardest one. The latter had more. Or perhaps it's best to say the first one was shortened, not that the second one was made longer. When thegame got translated, they only translated the shorter one; and used it for all difficulties. It makes sense they'd just translate one script; but likely as you mention, matters like money means they chose the shorter one.

This situation is different. Dumping/Dumbing/??? at this point wouldn't relaly make more money. If anything, it's more work to replace. Specially when you have now voiced lines. Perhaps the removed latter part can simply be taken out; but I'd think removing a "middle of the sentence" word like the submissive part might require re-recording the line, which would cost. Even if not, the work to edit the file to make it flow naturally after taking out a word in the middle of it is still going to have a cost.

Which is why I don't get why we have to jump the gun here instead of going with the most likely reason, that IS is simply being IS. At least until we have more information.

It would be great if this time we won't have a big harassment campaign that results in an unrelated Nintendo employee fired. You know, like what happened with Fates when people were crying "censorship".

50 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

Interesting too because with this game it'd mean having to change the audio as well. Did they re-record the entire line or just chop up the old one?

I took a listen and they indeed chopped it up. The stuff inbetween "good" and "wife" got King Crimson'd but you can still hear where the comma would've been.

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

This situation is different. Dumping/Dumbing/??? at this point wouldn't relaly make more money. If anything, it's more work to replace. Specially when you have now voiced lines. Perhaps the removed latter part can simply be taken out; but I'd think removing a "middle of the sentence" word like the submissive part might require re-recording the line, which would cost. Even if not, the work to edit the file to make it flow naturally after taking out a word in the middle of it is still going to have a cost.

Well, sure. But the logic was stupid in the first place. They believed that a proper script was actively hurting their chances of bringing in new players. I mean, just look at this bullshit:

Yamagami: Other than the dialogue scenes, which are integral to advancing the plot, there are also other scenes that, for example, reveal the kind of connection two characters have with each other. While these kind of scenes may be highly enjoyable for the Fire Emblem enthusiasts, for new players they might seem completely unnecessary, having no effect on how much they will enjoy the game.

In other words, by taking out the scenes concentrating on character building, we hope that players new to the series will be able enjoy the game more by just concentrating on the main story. We’ve heard from the more casual players that the storyline was too hard to follow in our previous games, so we’ve thought out this new structure and have found it to be the best solution to this problem.

Considering Radiant Dawn ended up being terrible failures and both were massively successful Awakening and Fates with their half-baked scripts, why wouldn't they see proper dialog and world building as a "flaw"? And if it's a flaw, then why not patch it?

Edited by BrightBow

2 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Well, sure. But the logic was stupid in the first place. They believed that a proper script was actively hurting their chances of bringing in new players. I mean, just look at this bullshit:

Yamagami: Other than the dialogue scenes, which are integral to advancing the plot, there are also other scenes that, for example, reveal the kind of connection two characters have with each other. While these kind of scenes may be highly enjoyable for the Fire Emblem enthusiasts, for new players they might seem completely unnecessary, having no effect on how much they will enjoy the game.

In other words, by taking out the scenes concentrating on character building, we hope that players new to the series will be able enjoy the game more by just concentrating on the main story. We’ve heard from the more casual players that the storyline was too hard to follow in our previous games, so we’ve thought out this new structure and have found it to be the best solution to this problem.

Considering both Awakening and Fates had ludicrously barbone script and were absurdly successful, why wouldn't they see proper dialog and world building as a "flaw"? And if it's a flaw, then why not patch it?

Ok. So what do we do about it?

1 minute ago, Azure, Roundabouted Out said:

Ok. So what do we do about it?

Doesn't the game have a setting to change the voice acting like Awakening and Fates did? If the Japanese dialog is unchanged, this probably wasn't changed on the end of the Japanese developers.

Of course the Japanese version itself would be better. But since the game was released everywhere at pretty much the same time, I doubt that many people imported.

Edited by BrightBow

It's just bullshit like the one Gamefreak is throwing around about how "new players want fast mobile game with little content".

Developers trying to justify their convenience based choices (in pokemon's case is a development problem, here is a "fear of scandal" problem).

A shame really, I hope no one buys those explanations though, it's truly ridiculous how he's trying to justify removing content for "letting you concentrate on the main story".

2 minutes ago, timon said:

It's just bullshit like the one Gamefreak is throwing around about how "new players want fast mobile game with little content".

Developers trying to justify their convenience based choices (in pokemon's case is a development problem, here is a "fear of scandal" problem).

A shame really, I hope no one buys those explanations though, it's truly ridiculous how he's trying to justify removing content for "letting you concentrate on the main story".

Back then, that clearly wasn't a spin considering they actually did have two version of the script. They put in actual money and effort to make the script of the game worse.

Edited by BrightBow

All in all, not a good decision on their part. People liked the B support because it is one of the supports Bernie’s anxiety and stuff is actually taken seriously, and goes to show how bad the nobility system can get.

Spoiler

If Edelgard knew this, she’d only be more driven.

A friend of mine suggested that maybe it had something to do with the actions of Chris Niosi (the previous voice actor for male Byleth) hitting a bit too close to home for someone.

Regardless, this is a pretty unnecessary change.

Nobody:

Absolutely fucking nobody:

Nintendo of America: Let's censor this.

There was no call to even do this, and it's such a worthless, asinine change.

7 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Yeah, it absolutely is bullshit.

Whatever indicated to them that people weren't able to concentrate on the main story?  Who the hell is the man talking about when he says "more casual players"?  Because I sure as hell don't remember any of the casual fans I know complaining about how the game focuses on character relationships.  In fact, people often tout the characters as one of the biggest, if not the biggest appeal of the series.  It's why people caused such a big stink over the roster of Fire Emblem Warriors.  Saying that people don't like the characters in Fire Emblem is like saying people don't like the ability to jump in Mario games.

I don't know what drug Yamagami is on, but I hope he quits it soon so that he can actually develop some goddamn sense.  Because I'll tell you one thing, if there's any reason Fates sold as much as it did, it most certainly wasn't because of the main plot of any of the paths.