This update changed Bernadetta's support with Byleth

Jedi

22 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Apparently another support was changed:

Looks like the idea that the support was changed to be more similar to the japanese version might be right, since this one doesn’t seem particularly controversial.

Eh, I don't mind examples like this since it's more of a correction.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. According to a post in there, this time they changed something that was accurate to the Japanese script.

I guess it shows no line is safe, regardless of context of why it was written that way?

12 hours ago, Water Mage said:

Apparently another support was changed:

Looks like the idea that the support was changed to be more similar to the japanese version might be right, since this one doesn’t seem particularly controversial.

I can see how that mistake may have happened, the word Dedue used in JP was 兄弟 which can be singular or plural for sibling.

5 hours ago, tirex367 said:

and another change

EDIT: the original line was "You shouldn't dance up there, you could fall"

That one is odd, since that change is completely different than the JP xD Might be something to look into.

EDIT: Looked into it. This one is pretty weird to me. xD

Edited by Kirokan

I don't mind so much if the change is to address the complete lack of relationship between the dialogue and what is actually being portrayed. That nonsense is really bad for immersion.

On the other hand, if they did this every time the rubbish animation system failed to line up with the script, they'd be overhaulting at least half the supports in the game. Don't write cheques you can't cash, folks.

Considering FE has been doing that since, like, supports became a thing, it's weird to suddenly start rewriting them now. More so that this isn't a general change, it's localization-only.

Sure, you only have the character models standing in a room. Though how much different it is back when it was just the sprites with a background that wouldn't correlate to what was happening either.

3 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Considering FE has been doing that since, like, supports became a thing, it's weird to suddenly start rewriting them now. More so that this isn't a general change, it's localization-only.

Sure, you only have the character models standing in a room. Though how much different it is back when it was just the sprites with a background that wouldn't correlate to what was happening either.

Because the spirits didn't indicated anything which happens at all, while the new scenes are supposed to represent what happens.

To anyone interested:

I have an unpatched copy of the game.  This is because I'm too lazy to connect my Switch to my wireless.  Which means that if y'all want any more support comparisons, let me know!

As for Bernie-dear, I think it would've been okay if the time frame was mentioned.  I think having some rope voluntarily tied around her for fifteen seconds so that she can get her posture right is nowhere near the same as being involuntarily tied to a chair for hours (in this case, it's the latter).

35 minutes ago, Roming9416 said:

It's apparently more accurate to the Japanese script. So yes, they did learn. Why aren't you happy, isn't that what you wanted?

If it is, I'm happy. I will admit a sense of bias towards whatever I heard first though.

I'm starting another run (Crimson Flower 2) for story research, and decided to rewatch the Bernie B Support when it came up anyway.

The line that follows the changed line is "I tried hard to do as he asked. Honestly, I did". The changed line doesn't hint at Varley asking anything of Bernie, which is honestly a bit of a jarring mismatch I didn't think of when looking at the line in isolation.

So--to begin with, I had quite a few problems with the way they wrote Bernadetta in this game. Most of the characters in 3H actually feel like characters--not like tropes or gimmicks.

They went so heavyhanded with pre-skip Bernie's social anxiety and persecution complex, that almost alone among the 3H cast of characters she comes across as a trope and a gimmick.

...Now obviously they could have just scaled that part of her character back a bit and wrote pre-skip Bernie more like post-skip Bernie, and post-skip Bernie more like a generic shy girl...

But to keep her character as written and really sell that character; what they needed to do was hammer home a traumatic backstory to justify it.

And with the original unchanged dialogue they just barely did that. If anything; they needed to be more explicit about the way Bernadetta was raised and the things that were done to her to justify the extremity of how they portray her antisocial behavior. (thereby making said behavior feel less gimmicky and tropey + more like real character) 
_____

In that context this change strikes me as not only completely unnecessary, but harmful to Bernadetta's character development and overall portrayal in the story. 

Edited by Shoblongoo