Just giving a warning to players about Catherine and Ashe's paralogue... (also minor spoiler alert)

Anacybele

Just now, Diovani Bressan said:

Since I used Sylvain in my first playthough, in the Golden Deer House, I made Sylvain a dark mage in the Blue Lions House. Having more than one unit with Phisic is always good.

That requires a Dark Seal though, doesn't it? And those aren't easy to get since you can only find them being carried around by Death Knight and you have to kill him to get them unless you have someone that can just steal them from him without getting killed...

3 hours ago, Eltoshen said:

Sylvain doesn't need to be a dark mage to use Physic, IDK why that person thought that was relevant.

True, yeah.

So, I was thinking of just restarting the game now, because I also realized I've missed out on Seteth and Flayn's paralogue, which means I miss out on Seteth. I really like Seteth, I hate not having him. But I don't want to lose New Game+ goodies or all this progress either... Tough decision.

Edited by Anacybele

16 hours ago, Anacybele said:

True, yeah.

So, I was thinking of just restarting the game now, because I also realized I've missed out on Seteth and Flayn's paralogue, which means I miss out on Seteth. I really like Seteth, I hate not having him. But I don't want to lose New Game+ goodies or all this progress either... Tough decision.

wait. what? 
You get him at a certain part of the story- not becuse you have Flayn. 

43 minutes ago, daisy jane said:

wait. what? 
You get him at a certain part of the story- not becuse you have Flayn. 

No, you get him through their paralogue. That's how I got him before.

Edited by Anacybele

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

No, you get him through their paralogue. That's how I got him before.

no, you don't

you have access to him via the paralogue. but you can get him (permanently) in 3 of 4 paths. so unless you are in the 4th path - you are fine. all you miss is the paralogue goodies. 

I played this more defensively on my first playthrough; not sending anyone too far away from Rhea, making sure the squishies were sufficiently boxed in, and more aggressively in future playthroughs when I knew of what to expect. At that point, it goes from feeling like a survival mission to a kind of coordinated, multi-front assault.

On my most recent Hard mode experience with this particular paralogue:

Snipers Bernie and Shamir with Close Counter were positioned to the right, near the lake, where the fliers come in from. Then when the initial barrage of fliers is dealt with, Linhardt Warps Sniper Bernie to the other side of the lake, where her Hp+5, her Armored Knight re-classed adjutant Caspar and Leather Shield are sufficient to endure any attacks from whatever's waiting there (a few peg knights, easy pickings), and then deal with the commander. Paladin Ferdinand meanwhile gallops out to face the Bishop on the left of the map along with Assassin Petra trailing behind him, cozily protected from any surprise aggro due to stealth. The tanky Warlock Lorenz w/ Thyrsus and Dark Mage Sylvain push to clear out the enemies grouped to the South, with Wyvern Rider Ashe making picks alongside them as well. Catherine, Shamir, Peg. Knight Byleth, Ferdinand and Petra can deal with the assassins that show up later, which Byleth could swoop in with a Gambit to stall/cut their evasion and let the others finish.

I'd say this paralogue is a neat little test on unit coordination, no matter if it's your first try or not. Such that if you're in the dark, I implore any1 new to this paralogue to please protecc your sweet baby Flayn >__<, but if you know what's coming then you can instead strategize to wipe out all the threats on the map before they even come near Rhea, or the aforementioned sweet baby Flayn. It's certainly more fun the second and third times around, which I sadly can't say about a few other paralogues. x.x

1 hour ago, daisy jane said:

no, you don't

you have access to him via the paralogue. but you can get him (permanently) in 3 of 4 paths. so unless you are in the 4th path - you are fine. all you miss is the paralogue goodies. 

Oh. Okay then. Good to know.

16 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Oh. Okay then. Good to know.

The site has information on recruitment that you can check if you're unsure in the future, btw. Spoilers are marked, but you already completed the game once anyways.

Edited by Eltoshen

26 minutes ago, Eltoshen said:

The site has information on recruitment that you can check if you're unsure in the future, btw. Spoilers are marked, but you already completed the game once anyways.

Alright, thanks for letting me know.