Hubert, I didn't know you were so... dramatic. (Heavy unmarked spoilers)

Naoko_Akamori

So, I've played both the Crimson Flower and the Verdant Wind routes so far, and it seems to be implied that Hubert came up with the name "Those who slither in the dark" to describe the ancient civilization. Not only is the name a ridiculous mouthful (To the point where, y'know, forum users just call them TWSITD), Claude and Rhea (In Verdant Wind) both just immediately go along with this. I don't know - the name just sounds a little... extra for Hubie. We know that he likes the effect he has on people, but coming up with a name that is... honestly, I think, a complete sentence (Subject, verb, object) is a little much.

Is it just as much of a mouthful in other languages I wonder? I don't even bother typing the initialism for them because I'd never be able to correctly order the letters. I'll have to content myself with calling them THE ENEMY.

11 minutes ago, Kunan said:

Honestly, I don't know why the fanbase seems to favor sticking to that whole name, or even abbreviating it, when the game itself calls them the Agarthans just as often, and that name is a lot more conveniently namey.

My thoughts exactly. I understand in-lore why the characters wouldn't call them Agarthans since they don't know where they come from until the very end of the game, but there's no reason for us to call them by that overly long name when "Agarthans" fits their entire group and sounds a lot less wordy.

Dude. The guy dresses like a vampire, use the most edgy intimidation speeches in the world, talk like a goth.... I wouldn't be surprised if he acted in front of a mirror to train himself to look even more goth ! 

Hubert is the very definition of "Dramatic" ! XD

They're called 闇に蠢く者 (やみにうごめくもの / yami ni ugomeku mono) in Japanese. It certainly sounds long, but not longer than each country's full name. It does sound dramatic, though.

The name (in any language) sounds like something out of the Harry Potter universe to me.

8 minutes ago, NeoAmon said:

I strongly preferred the original Serenes interpretation of Nightcrawlers. At least that sounds like an actual name for an organized group.  

Remember it's not their own name. So it's not an 'actual name for an organized group'. Theself simply use 'Agathean'

It really just reeks of Harry Potter influence.  I know they didn't ever cite that as their inspiration, but it sounds too in line with stuff like "He who shall not be named" and "The boy who lived".  I swear Hubie was binging some JK Rowling literature in his spare time, which is kind of a hilarious thought considering how ruthless a man he is.  His favorite character's probably Voldemort.

On 9/13/2019 at 10:08 AM, Kunan said:

Honestly, I don't know why the fanbase seems to favor sticking to that whole name, or even abbreviating it, when the game itself calls them the Agarthans just as often, and that name is a lot more conveniently namey.

Because the in-game faction label for them is "Those who slither in the dark" (basically what @Ivan Tridelan said), and they were advertised as such.

Also because it's the first label you hear for them.

On 9/14/2019 at 12:52 PM, Ertrick36 said:

Because the in-game faction label for them is "Those who slither in the dark" (basically what @Ivan Tridelan said), and they were advertised as such.

Yes, that's what pops up when you check their flag, and that's what Hubert and Rhea end up calling them, so I can understand using that name to start.

But then you notice that the units fielded under that flag are all things like "Agarthan Soldier" and "Agarthan General," and use trademark skills and weapons based on "Agarthan Technology," which is repaired using "Agarthium" and their underground city is Shamballa, which is mythologically often associated with the underground city/civilization of Agartha. So why chain ourselves to the more awkward name even months later when everyone has seen these things?

1 hour ago, Kunan said:

Yes, that's what pops up when you check their flag, and that's what Hubert and Rhea end up calling them, so I can understand using that name to start.

But then you notice that the units fielded under that flag are all things like "Agarthan Soldier" and "Agarthan General," and use trademark skills and weapons based on "Agarthan Technology," which is repaired using "Agarthium" and their underground city is Shamballa, which is mythologically often associated with the underground city/civilization of Agartha. So why chain ourselves to the more awkward name even months later when everyone has seen these things?

Don't ignore the other part of what I said, I strongly believe it was due to advertising that we call them that still.

Also I would say it'd be to prevent spoilers for those who haven't played the game enough to know who they are.  Because, you know, the fact that they're attributed to an actual civilization with a name is fairly spoilery.