Thoughts on 3H's Music (Possible Spoilers)

Anathaco

So I'm not sure if a thread like this has been made, but I couldn't find anything.

Anyway, now that the game's been out for a while, I'm curious to hear what people thought of the soundtrack as a whole. From what I've seen, reception has been pretty positive, but I'm curious to get some more specific opinions.

So, here are some questions:

1: What are your thoughts on the style of the music? It seems to be a lot more electronic, and less purely orchestral, than previous games. Do you like the change, or wish they had kept it the same? And would you like to see it return in future games?

2: What's your favourite song on the OST?

3: Out of the different final map themes, which is your favourite? Has it overtaken a favourite from a previous game? (Bit of a specific question, but I'm curious.)

4: Are there any songs on the OST that you don't like?

5: Overall, would you say this is your favourite OST in the franchise so far? If not, which one/s do you think are better?

I'll just leave my opinions here:

1: At first, when Edge of Dawn was released, I was a little skeptical. I wasn't sure how much the soundtrack would deviate from the traditional Fire Emblem sound. Once I actually played the game though, I got used to it fairly quickly. I liked the fact that most songs were orchestral, but with a synthesised baseline (I'm not sure if that's the right word, but for an example of what I mean, see Between Heaven and Earth, around the bit where the vocals kick in) I enjoy the new sound, overall, though I'm not sure if I'd like for them to keep it in future games. If they brought it back though, I doubt I would mind.

2: My favourites at the moment are Tearing Through Heaven, A Funeral of Flowers, and Between Heaven and Earth. I also really love Broken Routine (the sad monastery music)

3: As stated in the previous question, A Funeral of Flowers. If I had to order them, it would be A Funeral of Flowers, God Shattering Star (that opera though), then Apex of the World (I like it, just not as much as the other two)

4: I think my least favourite song so far is The Long Road, the map theme for the last few maps. It just kind of doesn't do anything to excite me. I wouldn't really say I dislike it though. It just doesn't stick out to me very much.

5: This is the toughest for me to answer. There are so many songs on this OST that have become some of my favourites in the franchise, but I don't think it quite tops Echoes for me. Echoes just has too many good songs, and still has my favourite map theme, Praise this Despair. I'd say Three Houses comes in second for me.

Naw, this is easily the best game in the series when it comes to music. All I'm going to do is point at the two Battle Preps soundtracks (As Swift As Wind and As Fierce As Fire) which both set the scene even before you've started the map.

Echoes has nice songs but FE3H is fantastic.

Generally I don't feel anything for video game music unless it's from a genre really out of the ordinary - think something like Interstate '76's funk revival or Monaco's intentionally slightly-off manic piano whenever something went wrong. Standard fantasy orchestral stuff (even if you say this time it's more electronic) certainly isn't the least bit memorable to me. I mean, it's there, it's fine, and it serves its purpose but I doubt I'll remember it after I'm done with the game. I mean, the only two FE music tracks I can readily imagine in my head are the main theme and Together We Ride, and those are mostly because of memes.

That said, I was kind of annoyed by the sad music lasting an entire month when the spoiler happened. I got it the first time, enough already.

1 hour ago, Life said:

Naw, this is easily the best game in the series when it comes to music. All I'm going to do is point at the two Battle Preps soundtracks (As Swift As Wind and As Fierce As Fire) which both set the scene even before you've started the map.

Echoes has nice songs but FE3H is fantastic.

To be completely honest, I had to look up As Swift as Wind, because I couldn't remember it for the life of me. As Fierce as Fire is pretty good though.

1 hour ago, Humanoid said:

That said, I was kind of annoyed by the sad music lasting an entire month when the spoiler happened. I got it the first time, enough already.

IIRC, Broken Routine plays the month after that as well. The first month and a half was how long it took me to wonder when we'd get the old song back. Still love it though.

This is easily my current favorite FE game in terms of music

I really like all the final battle themes : Apex of the World, Funeral of Flower, God Smashing Fallen Star.

Song of Nabatean is really interesting too, but too short at the current form. Consider it's tied into the story, maybe there will be a longer version in DLC.

1. While I'd personally enjoy more orchestral music in my fire emblem games, the new style helped to mix things up from the recent entries having similar styles (except Birthright which is also enjoyable for what it does differently).  It's a really good sound track on the whole.

2. Hnnnnnnnnnnggggg... Apex of the World is probably my very favorite but if that's cheating then Blue Skies and a Battle is probably the answer here. I also found that basically all of the melancholy music is super well executed, probably due to the constraint on the volume they showed compared to past Fire Emblem games.

3. I haven't listened heavily to the final boss tracks other than Apex of the World. I am also convinced by bias towards that track will keep it squarely on top (that opera ain't messing around though). 

4. Shambhala takes the new direction maybe a bit too far...? Hides.

5. I'd say it's my new favorite, at least until they start overplaying all the music in the spin-offs (that kinda lessened my opinion of Awakening and Fates, which is a shame because on their own they have awesome OSTs).

I really didn't mind the "electronic music" influences for 3H. Whenever they're there, they're a nice touch that normally don't feel out of place - I love examples like Blue Skies and a Battle, but the dubstep missile was just silly. Shambhala's theme fits with the electronic music take. Overall, the other tracks do have a grand feel of orchestrated music that FE is known for.

If anything, my only criticism for the songs are that they become repetitive very quickly.

It is good, but not my favorite in the series. 

The electronic music like in chapter 21 GD does not suit imo. 

The map theme in chapter 8 and 9 is my absolute favorite theme in this game, one of my absolute favorites in the series. 

Also love the battle theme against DK and used against some other villains. 

The music is good but nothing special. There's something missing with a lot of the pieces to make them memorable or standout from each other. If someone were to ask me to hum the game's final map themes from memory, I wouldn't be able to do so. Whereas Awakening/Echoes/Fates' final themes or endgame maps' themes made a huge impression right off the bat. Even some pieces from the GBA games are more memorable than a bunch of music in TH. 

Edited by zuibangde

TBH, I really didn't like the soundtrack that much.

I personally found that I only remember just a few tracks overall, and I'm not going out of my way to listen to them outside the game.

I'll give the soundtrack a C+, it's just kind of average to me.

Overall it's okay, not the best. The soundtrack is too much repetitive and most don't stand out. It's like the same track is remixed and used over and over again.

Some tracks are great,  like in every  FE game. Shambala and all versions, Spirit Dais, Blue Skies, Heaven and Earrh come to mind. There may be more, Fire Emblem always had good quality music, but compared to the other tittles, I wouldn't say Three Houses is the best in this aspect. Far from the worst though - the GBA games were quite poor in music.  Compared to video games in general I think the soundtrack good though. 

I don't mind the electronic music, it is a nice detail. I wouldn't like this style in the whole game - but this is not the case. 

Edited by Mylady

1. While I like orchestral, the electronic elements added something new and fresh. i certainly can't fault IS and Nintendo for doing it. Most of the OST is wonderful, if a little repetitive as others have said.

2. Oh, there are a lot of tracks I like. Blues Skies and a Battle, The Spirit Dais, Guardian of Starlight (one of Rhea's themes), Shambhala, all three final map/boss themes, Between Heaven and Earth, Chasing Daybreak (this is definitely one of my faves. It really fits best on Dimitri's route, at least to me), Roar of Dominion, Song of the Nabateans, As Swift as Wind, As Fierce as Fire, Dwellings of the Ancient Gods (so mysterious and cool!!), all three monastery themes... Let's just say most.

3. Haven't beaten any of the routes completely yet (I have a busy college life) but after hearing them on YouTube... I think my favorite final map/boss theme is A Funeral of Flowers. It's so tragic and gorgeous. I like God Shattering Star and The Apex of the World as well. All three are amazing in their own ways.

4. While it's all right, I think Tearing Through Heaven got a little too repetitive for me.

5. Overall I think the OST is good, but I'm not sure if it's my absolute favorite ever. There are so many good tracks in every other game... Really, you can't go wrong with most FE music.

7 hours ago, Timlugia said:

Song of Nabatean is really interesting too, but too short at the current form. Consider it's tied into the story, maybe there will be a longer version in DLC.

Yes! I would like a longer version with more lyrics. I also want to just say that Cherami Leigh's voice is beautiful and has made me appreciate her and Rhea so much more. Move over Azura, I have a new favorite singer.

Part 1 prep theme beats out Conquest for best prep theme for me. Part 2 prep theme is alright.

I like that song that plays when you fight a former classmate in part 2, as well as the new song that was added in the recent patch. Dubstep Emblem is alright.

The battle versions of these themes aren't nearly as good though. I think Fates did the in-battle variation of songs better, but even there I usually listen to the map versions of those songs anyways.

I think the biggest sin with this game's music is that some songs are just awkwardly placed. Fodlan Winds is a little too cheery/heroic when you're trying to kill Lonato, a situation that's painted in a morally questionable light, for example.

1. I like it, change is good. The battle themes are all solid, the out of battle themes not so much. Glad they made rain much more pronounced, the fire tracks in Fates were generally much better but you never heard them.

2. All of the battle themes are pretty good, hard to pick one. Maybe Fodlan Winds even if it plays a lot.

3. God Shattering Star, too easy.

4. The "dungeon" style battle themes, like most of the middle of white clouds. Just felt weak.

5. I think FE7 is still the top for me. 3H is solid but really held back by weak out of battle songs.

Side note: The thing they did with blue skies and a battle and between heaven and earth is my favorite musical thing in the series. The shift from cheerier and happy to serious in the music was really cool. If only the map wasn't so bad...

My favourite map themes are Fodlan Winds, Dwellings of the goddess, blue skies and a battle, tearing through heaven, tempest of seasons, roar of dominion, chasing daybreak, the long road, between heaven and earth, god shattering star, funeral of flowers, apex of the world and Corridors of the tempest.

Yes that is all of them except Shambala which is just eh for me. I just love this soundtrack to death. If I had to pick 5 though it would be.

1.Tempest of Seasons (Paralogue theme)

2. Between Heaven and Earth (Gronder Rematch)

3. The Long Road (Late Game map theme - especially on Blue Lions)

4. Roar of Dominion (Chapter 12)

5, Dwellings of the goddess (Goddess related chapters)

And my Favourite Final theme would go to Funeral of Flowers.

1. While it felt a bit odd coming off 3DSFE, I got used to it. It usually takes me a while to get used to new FE soundtracks anyway, so there's no major difference here from my perspective. Slightly related: I like the way that most or all of the support themes are based on Life at Garreg Mach Monastery.

2. Uh... The Edge of Dawn, People of the Marketplace, Life at Garreg Mach Monastery, Scales of the Goddess, Beneath a New Light. Chasing Daybreak grew on me, and Roar of Dominion was sufficiently intense on my first playthrough that I commented on it to my friend. But number 1 is one of those first five four.

(i really like beneath a new light ok)

3. Haven't beaten Verdant Wind yet, so I'll just say that The Apex of the World is currently beating A Funeral of Flowers. Neither of these comes close to Twilight of the Gods, though, or even Id (Purpose).

4. Fódlan Winds (Thunder) just isn't great, due to the lack of the melody. Fortunately, you don't have to hear it much, and it just blends with the Rain version. Other than that, nothing's been terribly grating.

5. Not a chance. Echoes and Shadow Dragon say hi. Even original Gaiden is probably a bit higher thanks to its strong melodies. Fates, Awakening and even Heroes have more themes that I'll catch myself humming, though they're probably about equal to TH overall.

1: I like a lot of the electionic influences, but that one dubstep near the end of GD track took it too far.

2: I like "The Long Road". A bit of an odd choice, maybe, but I love that one. I also really like the post-timeskip monastery song (not sure of its name) and "Roar of Dominion".

3: I haven't finished AM yet, but of BE:CF and GD I liked GD's final chapter the best. I honestly can't recall BE:CF anymore, nor any other final themes from prior games.

4: After three playthroughs the music in the market is starting to grate on my nerves. I actually think that track is quite appropriate, interesting and at first it was nice. It just gets SO repetitive after so many playthroughs. As stated above, I also didn't like the dubstep track. I think part of my problem with both is that the loop seems to be too short. If they were longer they would be more tolerable.

5: Yes, this is definitely my favorite soundtrack and I've played a good portion of previous games. I wish there was a video game music award that meant something since this soundtrack deserves to win it overall.

I don't really have a particularly strong opinion on the music of this game. I generally like it, but I have a hard time pronouncing this my favourite Fire Emblem in terms of music. Echoes is a strong contender.

I'd say Chasing Daybreak the best, among map themes. The Apex of the World is also great. And in all cases, I actually like the map themes more than the battle themes, because the battle themes actually remove the melody this time.

1: Wish they kept the soundtrack purely orchestral like the previous games. I don't like the electro dance type music they brought into this.

2: Fodlan Winds takes the cake.

3: I don't have an answer to this because I've yet to play the other two routes.

4: I don't like the one that plays in Shambhala because, again, I don't like dance type music. I don't remember what it's called.

5: While there are still some decent music pieces in the game, Echoes and Tellius games still have the best soundtracks in the series in my opinion.

On 9/13/2019 at 11:26 AM, PrincessAlyson said:

Yes! I would like a longer version with more lyrics. I also want to just say that Cherami Leigh's voice is beautiful and has made me appreciate her and Rhea so much more. Move over Azura, I have a new favorite singer.

This makes me wonder if the japanese version it's sang by Kikuko herself; if that is the case, I love her voice.