What would you like the DLC story to be? (Full spoilers)

DefyingFates

What do you predict/ hope the DLC story will be?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. What do you hope it'll be?

• A prequel (set well before the War of Liberation, e.g. the creation of Fodlan)
    • A prequel (set during or near the War of Liberation)
    • A prequel (set after the War, e.g. founding of the Kingdom or Alliance)
    • Set in the present day (expands on one or more of the existing routes)
    • Set in the present day (and adds one or more new routes, e.g. adding a new House or a non-teacher route)
    • Set in roughly the present day with new characters (e.g. a story with Jeralt a few years before coming to Garreg Mach)
  2. 2. What do you think IS will do?

• Make a story set in the same time period (i.e. expand the existing routes)
    • Create a new route to select at the start of the game
    • Make a prequel (any time period)
    • Make a prequel (in the same time period)

I've seen a lot of people expecting the DLC will be a new route and others hoping for a happier ending, while there's also so much lore to the world that a prequel would make perfect sense too. So what would you like to see happen? And as a bonus question, what do you think IS will do? Will they bite the bullet and make a prequel (which'll likely require the most work unless it's very close to 1180) or will they extend one of the current routes (e.g. a new questline opens up in all of them right after the time skip) or just make a new one?

I personally think a distant prequel would be great because of the lore we've gotten. I think there's quite a lot of other details such a story could play around with too; I'll spoiler-tag it because it's quite lengthy, but if I may quote myself from elsewhere:

Spoiler

If I had to choose, I’d say the past is the safest bet for a DLC, specifically the War of Liberation. While I’d love to play as Seiros herself for this, chances are we’d play as Cichol or (most likely) the bearer of the Crest of Timotheos. Why that Crest specifically? Well, as mentioned above it adorns the terrace of the Monastery, so at least one of its wielders had to be close enough to Seiros to warrant that honour. And while Rhea may have married your female Byleth, we know she passed her Crest down Edelgard’s bloodline so must have had at least one male partner in the past (of course the jury’s still out on whether she loved this partner or just needed one to continue said bloodline) – what better way to honour this partner than by immortalising their Crest?

And for the question of why no one has Timotheos’ Crest in the present day…simple: no one happened to inherit it. It’s possible that Edelgard’s bloodline has both Timotheos and Seiros’ Crests and that she just happened to inherit the latter (which admittedly does seem to be the more important of the two). Besides, she had nine siblings: TWSITD only cared about infusing one of them with a Major Crest, so who’s to say some of her siblings didn’t have a Minor Crest of Timotheos and simply died before we could see it? (According to the Wiki, this Crest – and Noa’s Crest – is also associated with the Dark Creator Sword that Nemesis wields. Could there be another story there? Perhaps Noa was Timotheos’ friend or sibling – perhaps even the actual protagonist of the DLC?)

Also as mentioned above, Anna’s clothing bears the Crest of Ernest despite it also being a “lost Crest”. Perhaps the past story would also feature her ancestor* (also an Anna, of course) who wields that Crest into battle?

And of course, such a DLC would be a way for us to finally wield the Sword of Seiros, especially if we get to use Seiros in combat (again, fingers crossed that she’s the protagonist). It’d also be a way to see Seteth and Flayn’s transformed forms as well (and Indech and Macuil’s human forms)! Who knows what those two are Lord and Lady of?

Finally, if Nemesis is being backed by TWSITD, that means we get to fight them in their prime, meaning we see and learn more about their sci-fi technology! Maybe we'd also learn precisely how the Monastery is protected from their Javelins: an EMP generator perhaps (it's not like anyone inside has phones to be disrupted or anything else that'd let them know what's going on).

P.S. There’d also be some tragic, dramatic irony if we get to meet whoever becomes Aymr down the line, as well as some horror in seeing people early on who are turned into Relics as the story progresses. How horrible!!

P.P.S. Also, no one's said the name "Fire Emblem" yet. What better time to finally get a title drop than the last time the Crest of Flames was relevant?

* But as mentioned above, Anna’s Crest of Ernest may instead be a reference to her role as a travelling merchant and not have anything to do with her powers or ancestry. After all, the Crest is on her clothes, not a part of her (that we know of)!

Source thread.

So, what do you think, and why?

Edited by DefyingFates

I'm honestly not expecting a prequel and sequels are EXTREMELY dicey in choice-centric games like this since people will argue over whether the sequel "canonizes" Route X. In both cases it's too much work for a company that dumped 4 chapters of Edelgard into some distant gutter.

I personally expect either expansion of existing routes (maybe more look at TWS since they generally take a back seat most of the game regardless of route) or a new route that rips content off the others (the way GD/SS seem to be copied) that winds up being a half-baked Golden Route ala Revelations. There ARE ways to make a logical golden route, but I don't trust IS to actually pull it off in a way that makes sense. Still, fingers-crossed anyways.

Fun fact: In prologue, Jeralt has conversation with Kostas where he complains that Kostas has gotten him wrapped up in his (K's) mess. If this attack never happened, Jeralt, Byleth and the mercenary head to the Kingdom like J says before the lords come running up. New Mercenary route flag? Would be interesting if you go this way and then run into either the Lonato rebellion or the Miklain theft.

Edited by Ivan Tridelan

I really, really, really want a prequel story for the Tragedy of Duscur. Having a playable Rodrigue and Glenn plus all of the other parents and lords of the time would be amazing, and would hopefully give those characters a little more development. You could even throw in Hilda's brother or Caspar and Linhardt's fathers. 

But... I doubt that will actually be the case. A fourth route is the most obvious and practical way to go. I just hope said route has a few unique maps and characters. A playable Jeralt/Rhea/Sothis is probably inevitable, considering they have data.

What i would like to see is a 4th house and 5 of the 8 students have the crests that were lost to time Timotheous, Noa, Ernst, Chevalier and Aubin. Not sure when exactly the best time would be for it but considering the officers academy has been around for 200-300 years i would say near its beginning considering nobody mentions it throughout the story. but i think it would be cool to show off the crests and there downfall from history. 

Reminder that the developer explictily said no added route.

That said I'd really like it, not a golden ending, but one where you have Edelgard and Dimitri in your roster (which doesn't automatically make it a golden ending, but have those 2 work together as it would be cool to explore their backstory).

The least likely (which I'd love) is an expansion for CF to finish it like it deserves.

The most likely (which is okay) is prequel stuff, they can't release "house dependant" DLC, it doesn't make sense and it'd generate unhappiness among the fans, so they have to stick to something that can work for everyone. That could be either far events (Seiros/Nemesis war) or just recent past (maybe the events surrounding Byleth's mother/birth, the monastery fire and Jeralt/Rhea relationship/conflict).

I think Monica(the real one) will still be alive and the TWSITD brainwash her and force her to fight her childhood friend Edelgard.

or if there's a prequel Nemesis vs Seiros and more Sothis + her true form as the form we saw in the game is her ghost.

Maybe Monica bears the crest of Noa?

My idea was that they take that 'all of time is now open to you' thing that Sothis says when she merges with you and just run with it--go balls out.

[Route #5]:  The God-Byleth Route

It is now canon to the story and not merely a game mechanic that the other routes exist.

They are all alternative timelines and possible futures that Byleth is aware of + has explored, because literally all of time is now open to you.

Byleth begins this route knowing--from the moment you meet the 3 Lords in the prologue--everything that has happened in the other 4 routes.

He has already from the prologue merged with Sothis, and has her knowledge + power. (because timefuckery)

With this knowledge; his goal is to preemptively teach them the truth about TWSITD. Reveal all of the churches dirty little secrets. Unite the houses. And prevent the war + colaboratively destroy the true threat(s) to the people of Fodlan. 

...There ya go... 

There's your 'golden ending'

Edited by Shoblongoo

33 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

My idea was that they take that 'all of time is now open to you' thing that Sothis says when she merges with you and just run with it--go balls out.

[Route #5]:  The God-Byleth Route

It is now canon to the story and not merely a game mechanic that the other routes exist.

They are all alternative timelines and possible futures that Byleth is aware of + has explored, because literally all of time is now open to you.

Byleth begins this route knowing--from the moment you mean the 3 Lords in the prologue--everything that has happened in the other 4 routes.

He has already from the prologue merged with Sothis, and has her knowledge + power. (because timefuckery)

With this knowledge; his goal is to preemptively teach them the truth about TWSITD. Reveal all of the churches dirty little secrets. Unite the houses. And prevent the war + colaboratively destroy the true threat(s) to the people of Fodlan. 

...There ya go... 

There's your 'golden ending'

If there is to be a "golden ending," it'd have to be something like this where you need to have played every other route beforehand to unlock it. It'd still undermine the bittersweet nature of the others a little, but if you're going to undo the war it'd be more fulfilling to do so after seeing all the different ways it could cause harm to everyone. Maybe you just need to complete at least one route to unlock this path, but you can convince more people by playing their specific routes (so the "true" version of the route gets absolutely everyone on your side)?

That is a quite unfair question because I want all of them ^^

But I think in order it would be:

1.) God Emperor Byleth Route like Shoblongo suggested.

2.) Story set around the ancient Nabatean-Argathian war. But I give that one a 0.1% chance because it is literally sci-fi fire emblem.

3.) Some Lore related side story in current time. Exploring Nabatean ruins e. g.

4.) Story centered around war Seiros/Nemesis (I think this is the most likely one) But only if the manaketes can transform into their dragon form. We need more dragons.....

5.) Story centered around Loog the Lion King

Seeing that the devs confirmed that DLC won't affect the main story or postgame: https://nintendoeverything.com/fire-emblem-three-houses-devs-on-the-games-origins-working-with-koei-tecmo-japanese-title-expansion-pass-more/2/

What type of additional episodes will be included with the Expansion Pass?

Yokota: These will be spin-offs that won’t affect the main story or the post-game either. We’re also thinking about introducing some new characters. We’re talking something fairly big here, so I think fans might have to wait a while. Also, aside from the expansion pass there will be a free update post-launch to add a new ‘Lunatic’ difficulty. Again, there might be a bit of a wait for this, but I think skilled players can definitely look forward to it.

I'm thinking it'll be a prequel that will show the start of the conflict with the Agarthians and Sothis + her children.

Edited by MrPerson0

It feels pretty obvious that it'll be DLC similar to what they did in Echoes, which is all the game really needs. Duscur incident seems like an easy place to go, or the war from beginning of the game. They can even reuse nemesis, we know how much they like reusing things in this game.

Definitely doesn't need any sequel style / after the game story.

1 hour ago, Timlugia said:

there is a row of unused dorms on the east side

Wait, which dorms are these? The only ones I can think of are the teachers' quarters.

But speaking of unused areas in Garreg Mach, I'm surprised that you can't enter the sauna. Given how Fates (and Heroes) dove head first into the fanservice aspect it was quite odd that they skipped the obvious opportunity for the same here. I'm thrilled that Three Houses wasn't bogged down by such pandering, don't get me wrong, but I was surprised all the same.

1 hour ago, Nihilem said:

Story set around the ancient Nabatean-Argathian war. But I give that one a 0.1% chance because it is literally sci-fi fire emblem.

But that's the best part! They have a blank cheque to do all the wacky sci-fi stuff they want and I'd love it if they cashed it in~

Edited by DefyingFates

I hope it's not another house/route. This game just needed two in my opinion (Crimson Flower and Azure Moon). As much as I love the Golden Deer, Verdant Wind doesn't feel connected to the central plot or core themes of the game. It's good by itself, but doesn't give me the drama the other two houses have. That being said, Silver Snow also felt a bit weird, an elements of that route could've went into CF and AM imo. As much as I would love to see a house full of people from other countries (Albinea, Almyra, Sreng, and Morfis), it would be incredibly difficult to tie them into the story. I would love an expansion on CF, because I felt like it was a bit rushed and could've used more chapters to explain things.

I hope it's not a new house with new students. That would drestroy the whole world building. The whole world is already established. Shoehorning a new house with new characters into it would feel way to forced. Why didnÄt this characters already existed in the world? It would just feels wrong to force something like this in an established world

I think it will be a prequel, or is it isn't it won't take place in the school. That's the only way it wont effect the main story, like they said. I hope Rhea will be playable, and we get some cool new characters. But I do hope we see more of the Knights too. The facility and knights seem to get not a lot of attention.

I think a near-prequel with Jeralt as the main lord, at Garreg Mach of 20 years past, could be fun. We'd get to use young Alois and (possibly) Rhea, meet Byleth's mom, and learn more about what brought Jeralt there.

That said, the more ambitious take is getting a far-prequel, in which we play as either Seiros or Nemesis. Accompanied by the four Saints and Ten Elites, respectively. I honestly wouldn't expect it, though, since I don't think *any* Fire Emblem game thus far has made those kind of "ancient history" battles playable.

10 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I honestly wouldn't expect it, though, since I don't think *any* Fire Emblem game thus far has made those kind of "ancient history" battles playable.

Yeah, I'm worried about this too. On the other hand, no other FE has had this level of lore, manpower or scope behind it either, which gives me some hope...

Are you suggesting a DLC with two routes? Even if the ending is the same for both (hence tying into the canon of the main story), this could be interesting! Perhaps Nemesis' path would cast him in the positive light Edelgard sees him in?

What I want: a miniature 'after war' sequel that ties up the loose ends. Route-dependent so each is a little different.

What we'll likely get: a slightly expanded sidequest that does none of that but comes with cute outifts/swimwear.

Edited by Crysta