Prologues in Potential Remakes

Jotari

Excluding Mystery of the Emblem Book 1, we've had three remakes in the series so far and something they've all had in common are a prologue set before the events of the game, ostensibly included to give the player some guidance on how to play the game, but also to cover some ground that we know exists in the back story but wasn't shown in the original game. Shadow Dragon had the sacking of Altea castle, a pretty monumental event in Marth's history. New Mystery had the training of the Avatar, which mostly served to introduce and characterise the new recruits Marth has with him at the start of Mystery, who have like zero presence in the original game. It also sets up the assassin sub plot the game introduces. And then Shadows of Valentia covers the time Celica and Alm were together as kids, with a Slayde appearance to throw some gameplay into it.

This has me thinking, we're 3/3 currently, what potential prologue fodder could we see hence forth if other games get remade. Genealogy is probably going to be the next big game in the series, but surprisingly Sigurd has far less history as a character than Marth or Alm. We know his mother died at some point and that he made friends with Finn and Eldigan and that's about it. I suppose seeing Finn, Eldigan and Sigud training as knights could work. Alterntaively there's the whole business going down in Isaach which we could see through Byron's eyes. But that wouldn't really work as a tutorial opening as it features veteran characters. And from a plot perspective it couldn't do much without being spoilery for later twists.

Leif conversely has a tonne of history as his life is a pretty detailed "move from dangerous place to safe haven until empire forces catch up" on repeat for several years. So any could provide as his introduction to combat. Or even the sacking of Leinster which happens when Leif is a baby, but is a significant event in the plot.

Sword of Seals has a tutorial showing Roy training under Cecilia in the base game. But I think it could be more integrated and be inserted as a prologue with some story content (as in game it's very much "press the A button to select things").

Blazing Blade already has Lyn mode which is a big extended prologue. Regarding Sacred Stones I think opening the game with some of that Lyon-Eirika-Ephraim content we see in flash back could be strong. Though I don't know what the conflict could be aside from "hey, we're training."

Won't talk about anything further as I don't expect to see them as remakes (I don't particularly think even the GBA games need remakes, but eh, let's talk about it anyway).

Well what do you think. Anything you want or expect to see from a pre story intro? 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, Jotari said:

We know his mother died at some point and that he made friends with Finn and Eldigan and that's about it. I suppose seeing Finn, Eldigan and Sigud training as knights could work.

Quan, not Finn.

Anyway... well, I'd say, not every remake needs a Prologue. Though, if they were to do it...

By the way, the Isaach campaign can work as multi-chapter DLC story arc. Something that has been a thing since Awakening (can't comment on wether 3H will follow suit since we've yet to know of all the DLC; but chances are also likely they might).

I see no reason to include another prologue in FE4. If the game is split into many small maps, just make the first map somewhat like 3H's prologue. FE5's could have a prologue somewhat like FE9's, where Leif and the others are being trained, I guess.

I don't see the rest needing any prologues for teaching how to play.

8 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

We will get a military accademy prologue and Sigurd & friends with a few battles againist bandits or loptyr cultist. Think 3H part 1.

That seems to be the pattern. A lot of the remakes seem to add stuff to show what the original games merely told. We see some of Alm and Celica's relationship before they're reunited in SoV. In the original, the first moment we even realize they know each other is when they reunite and have a falling out moments later. Shadow Dragon shows the fall of Marth's kingdom at the hands of the traitorous nation of Gra, and him forcibly being separated from his sister, and as a result that is hanging over the plot the whole game, letting them build until their moment of payoff. In the original, we don't hear about Gra's betrayal until the introduction to the chapter when Marth gets his revenge. The game just goes “Hello. His name is Jiol of Gra. He killed your father. Prepare to kill!” and then the mission starts. It's super dumb.

So I can totally imagine a prologue between Sigurd, Quan and Eldigan to flesh out their friendships before things all go horribly wrong.

Edited by Alastor15243

21 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Quan, not Finn.

Anyway... well, I'd say, not every remake needs a Prologue. Though, if they were to do it...

By the way, the Isaach campaign can work as multi-chapter DLC story arc. Something that has been a thing since Awakening (can't comment on wether 3H will follow suit since we've yet to know of all the DLC; but chances are also likely they might).

Generaton Zero as a DLC campaign is something I've been looking to see basically ever since Fates solidified the idea. Alas we had no real multi chapter DLC in Shadows of Valentia, despite them having great fodder for it in a Rudolf vs Mila show down.

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Generaton Zero as a DLC campaign is something I've been looking to see basically ever since Fates solidified the idea. Alas we had no real multi chapter DLC in Shadows of Valentia, despite them having great fodder for it in a Rudolf vs Mila show down.

Really? You don't consider Rise of the Deliverance as such?

The only non-localized game that's missing a prologue is Thracia. All of the other games start with a Prologue chapter besides Binding Blade, and they could easily make that the tutorial. Other stuff (i.e. a Sigurd-Quan-Elidgan scene) would be better incorporated like BSFE or Rise of the Deliverance.

That said, I'd rather not have the Prologue tie into the main gameplay too expansively like in the DS games, unless the developers want to account for that in the enemy curve. More like SoV, less like Shadow Dragon and New Mystery.

9 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Really? You don't consider Rise of the Deliverance as such?

From what I recall that was several rather isolated stand alone chapters, no?

4 minutes ago, X-Naut said:

The only non-localized game that's missing a prologue is Thracia. All of the other games start with a Prologue chapter besides Binding Blade, and they could easily make that the tutorial. Other stuff (i.e. a Sigurd-Quan-Elidgan scene) would be better incorporated like BSFE or Rise of the Deliverance.

That said, I'd rather not have the Prologue tie into the main gameplay too expansively like in the DS games, unless the developers want to account for that in the enemy curve. More like SoV, less like Shadow Dragon and New Mystery.

A lot of the games start with a Chapter that's entitled Prologue instead of Chapter 1. But it's not truly the same thing. The Prologue of Genalogy of the Holy War is very much the first chapter of the story. It's not a prologue in the literal sense of being a separate attached part of the story. Like the prologues we got in the three remakes so far. Like say all of Lyn mode serves as a (rather long) prologue for Blazing Blade. But Chrom and Lissa finding Robin isn't so much a prologue as it is the literal beginning of the story that continues uninterrupted from there.

Edited by Jotari

11 minutes ago, Jotari said:

From what I recall that was several rather isolated stand alone chapters, no?

It's still a larger narrative interconnected by the chapters. Not unlike Awakening's or Fates'.

Radiant Dawn could use paralogues such as Jill retaking Talrega instead of being off paneled or show what Tormod is doing part 3 along with Naesala after his defection but before him joining up. Geoffrey encountered an ambush between Geoffrey's Charge and Elincia's Gambit but this was also off paneled. 

43 minutes ago, Jotari said:

A lot of the games start with a Chapter that's entitled Prologue instead of Chapter 1. But it's not truly the same thing. The Prologue of Genalogy of the Holy War is very much the first chapter of the story. It's not a prologue in the literal sense of being a separate attached part of the story. Like the prologues we got in the three remakes so far. Like say all of Lyn mode serves as a (rather long) prologue for Blazing Blade. But Chrom and Lissa finding Robin isn't so much a prologue as it is the literal beginning of the story that continues uninterrupted from there.

That would be true, but my point still stands about it being a supplement to the main game rather than a straight addition.

34 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

It's still a larger narrative interconnected by the chapters. Not unlike Awakening's or Fates'.

Not entirely unlike Future Past or Heirs of Fate, but at the same time, not actually like either of them. Which a Generation 0 deal would more resemble.

Thracia 776 already has what would readily make for a new Prologue battle. Raydrik caught Nanna and Mareeta because Eyvel, Leif and the others were out hunting bandits. One of the game's opening event scenes is supposed to be that I think, the one where a female swordmaster lights a torch on Chapter 12's map (it can't actually be Dacia, that is way too far away).

But, if the point to adding a prologue battle is to teach the basics of things to the player (which SoV's doesn't do), then it wouldn't be perfect. There aren't any playable mages or healers at that point, unless the game forced a tutorial use of Eyvel's or Leif's precious magic swords.

I wouldn't mind having a few slice-of-life chapters featuring Eirika/Ephraim/Lyon, before things went to hell.  For example, have Ephraim challenge Eir in a mock battle, and then have Lyon attempt to explain why Ephraim won.  Hell, have Duessel show up for a bit with an axe to fully demonstrate the weapon triangle!

I can definitely see a prologue in an FE4 remake that showcases the relationship between Sigurd, Eldigan, and Quan in much greater detail than it's ever been shown in the original game. I can also get behind a prologue in an FE4 remake that's similar to the prologue in FE9 where Leif is training under Eyvel and Finn with Orsin and Halvan.

Sigurd, Eldigan, Quan, Ethlyn, Edain, Arvis, Azel, Tailtiu, and Lex's lives at the Academy of Belhalla would be a nice intro to the game. (They all studied there IIRC, but Azel, Tailtiu, Lex, and Ethlyn were probably in a different grade since they're younger.)  Bonus points if the prologue contains the iconic brotherhood scene with Siggy, Eldi, and Quannie.

For FE6, maybe Cecilia teaching Roy and Lilina with Eliwood and Hector watching over?

FE7's prologue is long enough.

FE8 could be Ephraim and Lyon sparring lol

Anything after FE8 already has a sufficient prologue imo.

4 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

Sigurd, Eldigan, Quan, Ethlyn, Edain, Arvis, Azel, Tailtiu, and Lex's lives at the Academy of Belhalla would be a nice intro to the game. (They all studied there IIRC, but Azel, Tailtiu, Lex, and Ethlyn were probably in a different grade since they're younger.)  Bonus points if the prologue contains the iconic brotherhood scene with Siggy, Eldi, and Quannie.

For FE6, maybe Cecilia teaching Roy and Lilina with Eliwood and Hector watching over?

FE7's prologue is long enough.

FE8 could be Ephraim and Lyon sparring lol

Anything after FE8 already has a sufficient prologue imo.

You forgot to mention Claud (the FE4 one, not the Three Houses one)

I'm also kind of surprised you didn't think of something for an FE5 prologue

5 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

You forgot to mention Claud (the FE4 one, not the Three Houses one)

I'm also kind of surprised you didn't think of something for an FE5 prologue

He went to Belhalla too? Sweet. I should really look into Claud's dialogue more.

Tbh I sorta forgot about FE5. The only one I can think of is Eyvel and Finn training Leif and Mareeta. That one works for EXP sake. What I really would love to see instead is Finn rescuing Leif from an invaded Leonster castle after receiving news that Quan and Ethlyn have fallen in battle. Maybe he can get assistance from a freshly amnesiac Brigid during the escape. Maybe Lachesis will also make an appearance with Nanna.

If the remakes are still making new prologues for the past Fire Emblem games, here are my thoughts about them:

• Genealogy of the Holy War, that has a prologue already, but what about include an premonition similar to Awakening? (not talking about where Sigurd gets killed and reuses Chapter 5) Maybe a premonition where Sigurd is in the middle of training with his father Byron similar to the prologue in Path of Radiance.
  • Thracia 776, Finn did mentioned to Evyel that Leif did fought some pirates before Chapter 1 started, I could see a prologue would have Leif and the some of the rest could fight off some pirates that were attacking the town. Sometime after the Prologue ends, Leif hears that Rayrik invades Fiana that Leif wants to go back to Fiana to save Nanna and Maretta before Rayrik captures the both of them.
  • The Binding Blade, I think they could use Roy, Lilina, and Wolt finished their training from Cecilia from the tutorial and they could have encountered some bandits that were coming to crash the party and trying to ruin Roy's training celebration at Ostia and Lilian and Cecelia helps Roy to stop the party crashes. Sometime after the Prologue ends Lilina and Cecilia takes off while Roy stays at Ostia to studies till Roy got a letter from his father Eliwood to comeback to Pherae.
Edited by King Marth 64

40 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

He went to Belhalla too? Sweet. I should really look into Claud's dialogue more.

Tbh I sorta forgot about FE5. The only one I can think of is Eyvel and Finn training Leif and Mareeta. That one works for EXP sake. What I really would love to see instead is Finn rescuing Leif from an invaded Leonster castle after receiving news that Quan and Ethlyn have fallen in battle. Maybe he can get assistance from a freshly amnesiac Brigid during the escape. Maybe Lachesis will also make an appearance with Nanna.

Brigid wasn't with Finn in Leonster though. They didn't see each other again until Finn, Nanna, and Leif arrived at Fiana

18 hours ago, Gregster101 said:

Brigid wasn't with Finn in Leonster though. They didn't see each other again until Finn, Nanna, and Leif arrived at Fiana

Gosh my memory is OFF. Yeah they should probably stick the training thing. Maybe Lachesis can make an appearance? Although I always wondered how Lachesis ends up with Finn if he's not her husband.

3 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

Although I always wondered how Lachesis ends up with Finn if he's not her husband.

She goes to Manster to search for her nephew, basically. Then the whole Fall of Leonster thing happens which sidetracks her.

On 9/14/2019 at 5:37 PM, Jotari said:

Shadow Dragon had the sacking of Altea castle, a pretty monumental event in Marth's history.

Only if you're playing on Normal difficulty. If you're playing on H1-5, those chapters don't exist.