Which waifu or husbando were you surprised by to have more fans than you thought?

XRay

Yeah, what the title says! Or maybe you are surprised a waifu or husbando does not have enough following? Or alternatively, who do you think would surprise you the most if you found out others consider them waifus or husbandos?

For me, it is Kronya. I can understand her sex appeal but I find her cuckoo look a huge turn off as a waifu to me. Some players do not mind though and enjoy the craziness apparently.

Spoilers for Three Houses:

Spoiler

I am a little surprised I still like Edelgard despite her being a huge freaking asshole. Maybe I am just too shallow cause I really dig her hair and looks and that she is an empress.

I am surprised players do not consider the Muspell siblings more as waifus. Laegjarn's personality is like 10 times better than Camilla in my opinion (Camilla tried to kill me depending on the path!). Laevatein is just adorable and she wields a Blade blade!

I am not sure if people actually considers Helbindi a husbando, but people do find him to be adorkable. He is just a male tsundere to me, but tsunderes have their appeal no matter what gender or look. I do like that he does not look like a typical tsundere, so the contrast is interesting.

I am surprised more people do not consider Reinhardt as their top husbando. He is powerful. He is gentlemanly. He is hawt! Seth has a better voice though, but they are voiced by the same voice actor, so Reinhardt's voice is still very sexy.

I cannot actually think of any of the popular husbandos that would surprise me that they have lots of fans, but I would surprised if anyone considers Surtr a husbando. He is a huge asshole and a little crazy! And we do not know who his wife is so maybe he already gave her the Gunnthrá treatment.

So this is essentially a "which character in the series had the most surprising reception" topic?

I'd say Kronya's one, yeah.  As far as I know, there's basically nothing all that great about her, she's actually kind of a throwaway villain, and a big throwaway villain at that considering how she made her debut as a villain in the first place.  I'm more just surprised she has any fans at all.

That's probably the only character I can really think of.  Although maybe I guess I thought I'd see more fans of Oboro and Mozu than I have, especially more so for the latter.  I've seen generally positive reception for them here - way back when there was a character opinions topic, there was only one person who said they disliked Oboro while just about everyone else cited her as the "strongest" character in Fates, and many have said Mozu has mostly good supports.  Yet I don't see a lot of people who cycle through different pics of Oboro or Mozu for their profile or those who make much art for them.  And I've heard Mozu had a very nasty reception in Japan due to her accent in the original dub.

If there were characters I'd say I were surprised to have fans, they'd be Vaike, Ricken, Hayato, Lilith, Setsuna, Hisame, Nomah, Metodey, and basically every minor NPC in the series that hasn't had recurring appearances and isn't the Three Houses gatekeeper, as well as just about every mid-boss in the series that isn't a capturable unit in Fates.

1 hour ago, XRay said:

I am surprised players do not consider the Muspell siblings more as waifus. Laegjarn's personality is like 10 times better than Camilla in my opinion (Camilla tried to kill me depending on the path!). Laevatein is just adorable and she wields a Blade blade!

Xander would probably be more of an apt comparison than Camilla when it comes to Laegjarn. Her design philosophy leans more towards the attractive Camus than the slutty fanservice. 

Though actually I'm of the opposite opinion. I always found Laegjarn to have quite a lot of fans for a fairly bare bones Camus who I think gets a pass on a lot of things Xander was crucified for. In that sense I find Xander an even more apt comparison. Her looks also never really appealed to be since brown skin and greenish hair are just a very weird combination. 

The character I'm must surprised by in regards to his fanbase is Gaius. He's just such an extreme nobody. He's got a very good Maribelle support but aside from that I struggle to find anything noteworthy about him. But that subjective opinion aside I also never hear anyone discuss or praise him all that often as a character or a unit. Tharja and Cordelia were breakout characters, Frederick has his memes and Owain is Owain, but no one ever talks about Gaius. With this in mind it struck me as incredibly weird that he had enough fans to get a beach outfit and a Fates clone despite there being very little to suggest this would be the case. 

yeah i'd say kronya and edelgard too

i mean i get that edel is 3H's most advertised character, but i still don't get how she has so many fans after 3H; i don't personally like her design too, but she's objectively a pretty beautiful girl, so that's a bonus too

kronya... i really can't understand it, maybe i'm just stupid

- Rinkah kind of. I am all about Rinkah, but it seems I am not the only one who thinks this way. I kind of agree that she is not too interesting from her personality, because of some writing which I also find not that good. But she is quite unique and I really like it that those kind of female Characters exists who are muscular. I am a bit bumped that 3H has not such a Character. I think Catherine might be the closest though along with Leonie. Its just that they do not show off any skin.  Same with Effie.

-Berkut and Rinea as a pairing, I personally find that Zeke and Tatiana is a much better pairing which is more on equal ground. While both pairings lack in Screen Time I find Zeke a way more interesting Character to Berkut with all Background what is to know about him. Still one of my favorite Characters. Meanwhile Berkut, yeah.. Berkut.

As for Kronya is she really that popular? 

Spoiler

I liked her more while she started in FEH, she is a good Unit for AR, and packs some punch. Of course I am open to such designs. Welp.
But her Character in 3H was anything else. The way she acted and has been dealt with. Was pretty underwhelming and I thought that people like her less after they played the game. 

Also my first thought after seeing her was ohh. Peri 2.0. 

Tellius as a series.  Is it a good game?  Yeah.  Is it the Best Thing Ever?  Not in my eyes.

Runner-up is Jugdral, just because the gameplay was so tedious that I tried multiple times to finish it and never made it past Chapter 3.

Am I allowed to say Lorenz? Somebody did a reddit poll of which 3H S-supports were their favorites and Lorenz ranked 4th in the females poll (with Dimitri being first and having twice as many votes as the runner-up. Here's the poll if anyone is curious)

Outside of the obvious choices (Kronya and Gatekeeper) I would like to mention Shamir; a character that appeared without much fanfare during the first days of character speculation, suddenly became one of the most popular of the neutral characters.

From older games I guess the only character that comes to mind that has a very random following it's... Mia? oh, and maybe Rinea too. The others are a lot easier to understand.

Edited by Troykv

While playing Crystal I remember a weird text conversation with a buddy where I pointed out Clair is the exact same person as Flannery but people dig the latter and how weird that is. Both young, inexperienced battlers taking over for grandpa. And how the "TM24 is Dragonbreath...no it has nothing to do with my breath!" line is about as socially awkward as any of Flannery's lines. Then again people who play Pokemon for the human characters already seem hopelessly weird to me.

8 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

And how the "TM24 is Dragonbreath...no it has nothing to do with my breath!" line is about as socially awkward as any of Flannery's lines.

According to Bulbapedia, that isn't about social awkwardness.:

When Clair gives the player TM24 (DragonBreath) in Generation II, she says, "No, it has nothing to do with my breath." This was a pun lost in translation, as Clair's Japanese name, Ibuki, can be taken to mean "breath". Despite this, a joke remains, as "dragon breath" is a term sometimes used for someone who has halitosis. Because she gives out TM59 (Dragon Pulse) in Generation IV instead, this joke was removed, though Clair does start to make a reference before becoming embarrassed. 

Seteth. I know he has a lot of memes but he has so much unironic popularity as well. I'm glad he is popular though, since he is a good character and a Wyvern Lord.

7 hours ago, XRay said:

I am surprised more people do not consider Reinhardt as their top husbando. He is powerful. He is gentlemanly. He is hawt! Seth has a better voice though, but they are voiced by the same voice actor, so Reinhardt's voice is still very sexy.

I guess Reinhardt is more meme than husbando? No reason he can't be both, tho. 

On topic, I'm not quite sure about Cordelia. I don't have anything against her, but there's nothing that really made her stand out as far as waifus are concerned. 

4 hours ago, Stroud said:

-Berkut and Rinea as a pairing, I personally find that Zeke and Tatiana is a much better pairing which is more on equal ground. While both pairings lack in Screen Time I find Zeke a way more interesting Character to Berkut with all Background what is to know about him. Still one of my favorite Characters. Meanwhile Berkut, yeah.. Berkut.

I forgot about Berkut and Rinea!

Yeah, their fandom is one I completely don't understand.  Zeke x Tatiana seems like a much more appealing pair.  Maybe Berkut x Rinea would be a great pair of Berkut had a proper reconciliation of his own dickishness, but he really doesn't - he had to straight up sell Rinea's soul to Duma and get his arse whooped by Alm one more time before he finally was like "okay, I was a dick, I'm sorry", and he did nothing to make up for it.  Zeke, on the other hand, did have the sin of being Camus the Sable Knight who fought against Marth and brought sorrow to Nina for his refusal to turn against his king, and he makes up for it both through his service to Alm and through eventually going back to Archanea to help Marth topple the Archanean Empire and defeat Medeus once and for all.  Not to mention Zeke seems to actually genuinely care about Tatiana, enough that he'd abandon his former life almost entirely to be with her, while Berkut kinda seems more like he just likes the pretty face standing by his side.  Though perhaps my perception of Berkut's relationship is colored by him literally sacrificing her to acquire more power.

4 hours ago, Espurrhoodie said:

lmao, Edelgard's the bi queen of Three Houses, it seems.

Now if only Claude could be the bi king, then all would be right in the world.  Dammit Claude, your limited sexuality forced Joe Zieja to make his character a girl just so he could marry himself.

4 hours ago, Troykv said:

Outside of the obvious choices (Kronya and Gatekeeper) I would like to mention Shamir; a character that appeared without much fanfare during the first days of character speculation, suddenly became one of the most popular of the neutral characters.

Shamir did seem to garner more attention than some of the others.  The way I recall it, the only characters who also garnered the same amount of likes on the FE JP Twitter feed were Marianne and Byleth.  I'd say it's probably because the bios at the time were extremely limited (we got, like, two pictures and a video of each character, which pretty much just showed off a snippet of their personality and your first conversation with them where you get to make a dialogue choice), so people mostly judged based on appearance and what personality archetypes appealed to them, and I'd say the reason the house leaders didn't garner as much likes on the FE JP Twitter is because they were shown at the beginning when the feed didn't quite have the following it garnered yet.  By contrast, Edelgard got a ton of likes on the NoA Twitter account when she was revealed - roughly twice as much as the male house leaders.

I also remember Seteth being fairly popular compared to other males.  Given the memes, I guess it's safe to say that popularity was retained.  Also Bernadetta was only moderately popular when she got revealed, yet seemed to have garnered a sizable following after the game's release.

Perhaps another reason for Shamir's popularity at the time was she was seen as one of the only viable candidates for waifu material for Byleth.  Most other younger women were students, were Manuela who seems unpopular because of her overly flirtatious nature (and lo and behold, she actually is unappealing to the men in-game), Rhea who seemed too "mom-like" to be a "proper" waifu (I think there's some insane irony there, lmao), Flayn who conversely seemed more like a "little sister" type and whom most speculated to be younger than the students (again, there's some irony), and Catherine who did have a sizable reception (though perhaps it was a reaction to her wielding one of the relics).

At this point though?  I don't think Shamir has all that crazy a following.  Definitely not as much as characters like the house leaders, Seteth, Flayn, or some other characters who get memed a lot.

6 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Her looks also never really appealed to be since brown skin and greenish hair are just a very weird combination. 

Yeah, but it invokes the image of mint chocolate chip ice cream, which is a truly superior flavor.

So, this isn't anything on the same "magnitude" as others have mentioned, but I still think it's weird that a lot of people default to disgust when talking about Makalov.
Like, there are serial killers it seems everyone's a fan of, but a guy with problems is where we get grossed out.

39 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

So, this isn't anything on the same "magnitude" as others have mentioned, but I still think it's weird that a lot of people default to disgust when talking about Makalov.
Like, there are serial killers it seems everyone's a fan of, but a guy with problems is where we get grossed out.

I can understand it, honestly.  The "serial killer" characters are so absurd that they're basically comical, while Makalov is something approaching what an actual chronic gambler in real life would be like.

Like, Henry's a dude who makes his debut in a cloud of crows, making constant crow puns during a rather severe and dire situation, and he's always laughing as he murders enemies or plucks legs off of insects.  Peri, meanwhile, is ridiculously childish, almost approaching straight up stupid, and treats violence like a game.  These are characters that are so utterly ridiculous that you can hardly actually take them seriously, despite them clearly having serious issues.

Meanwhile, the most ridiculous thing about Makalov is that he somehow keeps wracking up debts and expecting his little sister to bail him out (literally one of the first things he says is something along the lines of "I better chum up to Marcia so she can bail me out").  And that honestly isn't a very ridiculous scenario - in fact, I'm sure most people could easily see themselves meeting someone in real life who gambles their money away all the time and expects their family to help them out of their bind.  So it's more difficult to see him as comical because he's such a realistic kind of character.  He's not squawking out bird puns or singing lullabies as he murders dudes, he's making his sister cry out of frustration and anguish at his ineptitude and assholish behavior.

That, and if every character who did exceptionally horrible things was so hated, people wouldn't be citing Alvis as their favorite villain in the series as he probably commits some of the most heinous of acts.  It's all about the context of the character - what they're like and how it all comes into play during key moments.

Well if we're sticking to just the FE franchise...

Back when I was a teenager with Blazing Sword, I didn't understand the appeal of Florina as a waifu pretty much because I didn't get the appeal of super shy girls.  I'm also not sure what it is about Ninian either, can't say I hate her or anything I just find her to be a less interesting/compelling version of Azura if that makes sense.

I suppose Berkut is technically another one as some people mentioned.  After I played Shadows of Valentia I found myself wondering if people really consider him a compelling character they wanted to marry or if it's just because of Ian Sinclair's performance.

For my pick of most surprising, I guess I would have to go with the rhyming Gatekeeper, primary reason for this surprise though is because I actually didn't talk to him when I played Three Houses.  I pretty much stuck to everyone who offered a side quest and never even got a chance to talk to him.  So by default he definitely makes for a surprise.

Does Kronya really have a fanbase that actually considers her waifu material, or do they just list her jokingly like I tried to start in the Forum Games?  'Cause well... you know... 

Spoiler

She kills Jeralt.

Going off that one reddit post from earlier, I guess it's kind of surprising to see that Dedue actually has fans as a husbando.  He's not really a despicable character in my opinion, but he really comes off as the sort of Dorcas/Bartre character of the game in just being kind of unremarkable in my opinion.

Characters I'm surprised aren't more popular:

I really am disappointed to this day that Tethys isn't a more popular character, let alone waifu.  Super strong candidate for being the hottest dancer in the whole series and pretty much everybody overlooks her for some reason.  Do people really only know Sacred Stones for its incest?

I wish I could list Manuela in here as well, but after all these years I've come to accept that I'm one among the very few who likes women like her.  It helps that she reminds me of Misato Katusragi in a few ways so that sure drew me to her.

7 hours ago, Emperor_Siegfried said:

I really am disappointed to this day that Tethys isn't a more popular character, let alone waifu.  Super strong candidate for being the hottest dancer in the whole series and pretty much everybody overlooks her for some reason.  Do people really only know Sacred Stones for its incest?

Really? Tethys isn't that popular? I liked her.

Prefacing this with the obvious disclaimer that the following is my opinion and my opinion alone:

For Fire Emblem, definitely characters like Peri and Henry. Like, why? Henry is just plain creepy and he isn't even that funny (this coming from someone who usually laughs at the worst puns) and I don't think I need to go into much detail as to what exactly it is that bothers me about Peri. That has been done to death.

Then, of course, the overwhelming popularity of the Fates Royals has always been a great mystery to me. To this day I don't understand it in the slightest. Same with Azura.
Sticking with Fates, there's Oboro and Niles, as well. The latter especially, as he falls into the same category of characters that just plain make me uncomfortable as Henry and Peri.

And then the popularity of characters like Inigo/Laslow, Sain, Gatrie, Sylvain... all of those god damn philanderer archetypes that I absolutely loathe, yet they have a giant following.

For Lord characters, we have Ephraim and Hector who are popular because... because. I can't make heads nor tails of it, but here we are.

---

Looking at the opposite end of the spectrum, I'm surprised Dorothea isn't more popular than she is. When her character was first announced, I thought she'd be the next Tharja/Camilla popularity-wise, again reinforced by her being a bi-option, but I was greatly mistaken on that front.
Which is a shame, because unlike Tharja and Camilla, Dorothea is actually a good character.

10 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

So it's more difficult to see him as comical because he's such a realistic kind of character.

Which, while I won't say I like Makalov (I don't), is the idea of Makalov that I like. He isn't absurd. His crime is gambling, a very petty crime. Yes, an army is a reasonable place for psychopaths and assassins to gather b/c killing is the job. But IRL historically, I'd probably be only able to hang a half-dozen psycho-assassins from my army a month, while having a hundred gamblers to choke, so to speak. 

And the idea of Makalov, like the idea of Shinon, add a hint more realism to the player's forces. Whilst having a virtuous army of justice is wonderful, there is something to appreciate in making it more earthy, which requires including a few real imperfections.

17 hours ago, Troykv said:

From older games I guess the only character that comes to mind that has a very random following it's... Mia?

I consider Mia to be the weakest Greil Mercenary as a character myself. So I see what you mean. 

If I had to guess her appeal, it's just simple surface charm. A confident, cute girl with a sword. I'm not sure how anyone could find depth in Mia.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Assassin and psychopaths are usually quite good at killing people in the opposite army, so i understand why they take them. It beat letting them loose or having them on the opponent's side.

Also the thing about Makalov is that people like Darcia and/or Astrid and is downright paintful seeing them having to put down whit his shit, especially Astrid, who had many better supports in PoR. This is also why some people are disliking the like of Lysithea, but Lysithea also has plenty of likeable and non abusive supports. We can more easily forgive someone that kill 300 nobodies that someone that is mean to a named characters. Case in point: we usually don't mind too much that Vegeta killed fucking planets(tbh he died for his crimes twice, but still...) The worst thing Henry ever did to a parry member was to remember Ricken that the red units are people, and Peri is indeed (rightfully) lothed for how she ruin the characters around her.