Weekly study exp is affected by difficulty

Technoweirdo

In my ongoing Maddening Deer run, I've noticed the weekly study results screen ending just a bit faster than I remembered.
Wasn't entirely sure, so I took some screen caps on Maddening, then did a very quick run through the game on Casual Normal up to the first week of study in Ch. 2.
Was a bit slow on the trigger taking the pictures and some have already gotten their exp or are gaining exp in the 'before' shots, so I'll be focusing on Marianne for both sets rather than someone like Claude who's at the top.

Normal - Before and After

Spoiler

normal_before.thumb.jpg.77b5767c71201b690e32550cd2e354e6.jpg
normal_after.thumb.jpg.b5cdbed9948f21dde607676a1ce3a382.jpg

Marianne's Reason: 40 -> 12 (28) | Faith: 96 -> 64 (32)

Maddening - Before and After

Spoiler

mad_before.thumb.jpg.a99f60639f02f6eb8c61812a46ba6a2b.jpg
mad_after.thumb.jpg.7b6ef8536c0d5f8380988e3c377a9e77.jpg

Marianne's Reason: 97 -> 77 (20) | Faith: 217 -> 193 (24)

Perhaps I should've given someone a weak subject of theirs to study (we actually don't have that listed at all),
But I'm confident in saying that weekly study exp gains on Maddening are -8 across the board compared to Normal.
Confident too that Hard is -4 across the board compared to Normal. I...probably should've checked sooner when I thought I was math'ing wrong. Anyways...

This makes promotion timings tighter than ever; plan accordingly.
Authority B is going to be a bit trickier to reach quickly...

I had a feeling that the skill XP was less, but thanks for confirming it. It seems it'll be even more beneficial to focus on most unit's strengths than on Hard since there isn't enough XP to go around. I'm a little over halfway into the game as I just completed Chapter 14 on BL, but I really noticed a difference in how high my ranks were for most units. I'd be curious to see if Group Tasks were reduced as well because that would impact the units with Neutrals in Flying or Riding that many try to put on mounts like Caspar or Raphael. 

It really seems that on maddening/NG, S+ ranks will not be feasible unless you literally only train 1 skill or have a knowledge gem on the entire game

Edited by shed

On 9/15/2019 at 10:22 PM, shed said:

It really seems that on maddening/NG, S+ ranks will not be feasible unless you literally only train 1 skill or have a knowledge gem on the entire game

S+ ranks are barely realizable in Hard NG. They also aren't really all that worth it, but that's besides the point.

Just did a bit of testing to confirm, used my Maddening save which is in the week 17/11 to 22/11, and dropped down to test each difficulty in turn. I suggest looking at Catherine (Sword strength, Authority neutral) and Cyril (Reason weak, Authority neutral) for east comparison figures.

Baseline figures

Normal - Gains 24/28/32 for weak/neutral/strength respectively

Hard - Gains 20/24/28 for weak/neutral/strength respectively

Maddening - Gains 16/20/24 for weak/neutral/strength respectively

So yeah, definitely difficulty based. It makes sense though - you gain WAY more skill EXP in battle in Maddening since enemies take more hits to kill and there are more enemies. Not to mention you gain normal EXP so much more slowly, so it's more fights before you can promote, meaning more time gaining EXP towards classes. Compensating for that by dropping the amount you get per week helps keep your skill EXP balanced. Only 4 per week per skill may not seem like a huge drop, but even assuming you're only training a main team of 10 characters, that's 80 EXP per week, often ~3 times per month - so about 240 skill EXP less per chapter, give or take. You probably earn about that much extra just from additional rounds of combat each chapter, so overall it probably balances out - but it's a pretty interesting way of doing it I feel.

It also makes me wonder if using weekly goals as the main method to train weaknesses is still optimal on Maddening. On hard I always felt it was the right move, since you earn about 71% of the EXP you'd get from training a strength in the same, which is better than most other methods (e.g. for tutoring, even with statues active, you'd gain 4 EXP vs. 8, which is 50%; or in battle with no class bonuses, it's 1 EXP vs. 3, only 33%; even with max class bonus of +3 it's 4 vs. 6, 66%). Now it's down to about 66%, which is... still probably the best way overall, but there's definitely going to be cases where it's better to do other things to train weaknesses.