Recruited Characters: Which make most sense story wise?

ck425

All characters would join the other house if they fall in love with Byleth or a student of other class 

Other than that, the obvious options are Petra, Ferdinand, Lorenz and Dorothea 

Edited by Mylady

Just the fact that they actually considered having Felix and Annette leave in Azure Moon (based on unused voice clips) means they're likely.

People keep bringing up Dorothea, I can't see her turning on Edelgard on her own. She clearly respects and likes El, and I think she'd be more likely to avoid the conflict entirely than oppose her.

Actually, that'd be another good topic: Who would refuse to choose a side?

47 minutes ago, Sid Starkiller said:

Just the fact that they actually considered having Felix and Annette leave in Azure Moon (based on unused voice clips) means they're likely.

People keep bringing up Dorothea, I can't see her turning on Edelgard on her own. She clearly respects and likes El, and I think she'd be more likely to avoid the conflict entirely than oppose her.

Actually, that'd be another good topic: Who would refuse to choose a side?

Marriage due to presumed suicide.

i agree on Dorothea, she really likes Edelgard and dislikes the church and nobility. She's pretty much one to one in line with Edelgards idealogy. The only issue is her dislike of fighting but she'd have to fight regardless unless she refused to get involved at all.

I’m only going to focus on the BE route because the others have the same goal of protecting themselves from the big bad empire and thus Azure Moon and Verdant Wind feel pretty interchangeable. Even the whole BE gang is shown they’re willing to drop Edelgard after she shows her true colors when you play Silver Snow. After judging all the reactions including moments where you can fight them on opposing sides, here’s my ranking from what I feel is most to least sensical.

Pretty much works

Lorenz - Granted, it’s motivated for purely political reasons and not personal ones since he’d likely reject her otherwise, but it is part of the narrative so it checks out.

Lysithea - Given she’s Edelgard’s only intra-house support and that the two have very similar backstories, not to mention she’s the one character you can recruit post timeskip, this is a no-brainer.

Felix - I feel he’s almost destined to join the Eagles just how he has so many battle conversations with his former teammates/friends (four total!) Given his disdain for Dmitri, his father, and the ideology of his kingdom as a whole, it’s quite plausible that he’d turn on them completely if pushed by the formers increasingly unhinged behavior. As Sid Starkiller pointed out, there was even a point where Felix might have deserted the Blue Lions on the Azure Moon route that was ultimately scrapped. 

Ashe - He could go either way, but I can see him growing increasingly bitter over Lonato’s death and choosing to turn against the Church of Seiros due to his distrust. 

Manuela/Hanneman - Basically since they’re on that BL map as enemies if not recruited.

Doubtful, but...

Annette - On one hand, she’s still attached to her father, who’s very devout no less. On the other hand, her territory gets annexed by pro-empire faction which the rest of her family resides, and then there’s the fact that she also was planned to maybe turn against the blue lions for the whatever reason. Still don’t think she’d ultimately join, but it’s not out of the question.

Raphael - I dunno. He doesn’t have any reason to join the Empire. However, maybe if he was reassured that his sister would be protected, then he’d be willing at least. It’s worth noting that he’s one of the two students to be completely awol during the Crimson Flower route aside from Marianne.

Shamir - Kind of an odd duck. She’s loyal to the Church as a merc, but she’s no follower either. If you pay her more then she’s all good for turning on them I guess.

Sylvain - He has an extreme dislike for his crest so I’m sure he’d be fine trying to eliminate a system that supported them, but he’s loyal to Dmitri/Ingrid and to the Kingdom by extension. I 

No chance 

Leonie - Since Leonie’s attachment to Jeralt doesn’t extend to the player, and since she finds the empire to be responsible for Jeralt’s death given her battle conversation with Byleth, it’s hard to imagine her joining Edelgard’s cause. She also has trouble with the methods used as well, so I can’t see it.

Mercedes - I have a lot of trouble imagining a deeply religious character turning against... pretty much everything they ever come to know. 

Ingrid - Yeah, she has absolutely no business joining the empire even with her crest being a bit of a nuisance. As a lawful good loyalist to her country, it’s borderline nonsensical for her to turn on Faerghus.

Alois - This might surprise some, but I also feel Alois would not join. As he’s a knight of Seiros and loyal to Rhea by nature, I feel Byleth joining forces with Edelgard’s regime would be a deal breaker rather than an exception. Plus, as with Leonie, just because he was a Jeralt fanboy doesn’t mean that same loyalty extends to his kin. Side note: his battle conversations are kinda brutal.

Ignatz - See Mercedes

Marianne - She dislikes her crest, but I can’t see her going against her beliefs. Hard no.

I'm going to say that Leonie actually makes sense in BE. If recruited, she'd say in Chapter 12 that she's aware of Jeralt's distrust in the church.

Not sure about Lysithea before the timeskip, since while she and Edelgard have similar backstories, they take completely different approaches in life after the incidents. One is hell bent on destroying everything crests stand for even at the cost of other people's and her own lives, while the other is determined to live life to the fullest and is generally forgiving to those who offend her out of ignorance (see her B+ with Lorenz, for example). It makes sense to recruit her after the timeskip, given that Claude told her to surrender.

I wouldn't say it's entirely different. It's just that Edelgard's way of "making the most of her remaining time" is trying to remove the oppressive crest system while she still can, to ensure a better life for her people after she's gone.

I'll also make a case that Leonie makes less sense than Alois. Alois sees you as a kid sibling, so he would do anything to protect you. I think if Jeralt asked him to leave the church to aid you, he would in a heartbeat. Leonie sees you as a rival for Jeralt's attention. She actually says to your face that you don't appreciate Jeralt.

Spoiler

News flash, lady: not everyone shows affection in the same way. I'm not demonstrative to my mother, and I pick on her all the time, but I still love her.

Given how easily she demonizes you for that, I could easily see her blaming you for his death.

This last one will sound silly, but I'm actually going to make a case for Seteth joining you. Early on, he tells Rhea that while he trusts her judgment, he doesn't like the idea of a stranger with no traceable history being given such an important job. Then Lord Lonato makes his move. Then Jeritza, Tomas, and the newly recovered Monica are all shown to be infiltrators. And upon reading Jeralt's diary, he finally begins to distrust Rhea. I could see him thinking that if that many people are trying to taking Rhea down, combined with the knowledge from Jeralt's diary, then maybe she's doing something wrong and should be stopped.

Spoiler

Not trying to turn this into an "Is Rhea evil" thing, but she was so focused on getting Sothis to take control of Byleth's body that she didn't see what was happening right under her nose. That's not the sign of a good leader.

19 hours ago, Silverly said:

Raphael - I dunno. He doesn’t have any reason to join the Empire. However, maybe if he was reassured that his sister would be protected, then he’d be willing at least. It’s worth noting that he’s one of the two students to be completely awol during the Crimson Flower route aside from Marianne.

Lorenz is also AWOL, right? Did not see him during my run. Would have only made sense during the Bridge Assault, I only saw Leonie and Ignatz.