What kind of handwriting would the students of The Officer’s Academy own?

KelluPato

What does Byleth have to deal with come every assignment and exam?  It’s fun to speculate, I want to know what you all think! 

I feel like Sylvain would have large, loopy letters while Felix would own chicken scratch.

• Lorenz has the most impressive penmanship but is always going far over the maximum word count suggestion no matter how much you tell him to reign it in.
  • Linhardt's papers are brilliant but are always within ten words of the minimum word count.
  • Caspar doodles stick figures fighting in the margins
    • Raphael does the same but its various meat dishes fighting.
  • Edelgard's papers make many good points but follow no thesis statement so it's more like a rant.
    • Ferdinand sneaks a peak at Edelgard's subject matter and always argues the opposite.
  • Claude's papers could use a more formal style, since he composes as if he's in casual conversation.
  • Lysithea's papers are excellent. But she got visibly shaken the day you didn't give her a Good Job! stamp and she's been sending you rewrites of that paper ever since. 
  • Felix's subject matter is so edgy you feel the need to call his parents.
    • Marianne is the same but it's less edge and more "crawling in my skin"
  • Annette understands the citation style better than you do since she's the only one that read the newest edition of the manual. But how were you supposed to know they no longer use "ibid"? That's bullshit!

• Edelgard and Ignatz have the best handwriting.
  • Caspar writes like a doctor.
  • Raphael often ends up having not enough space because he writes too big.
  • Linhardt and Hilda can’t write in straight lines because they’re too lazy to care.
  • Annette and Mercedes would have rounded letters.
  • Lorenz writes exclusively in cursives.
  • Marianne has a nice handwriting but she writes so small Byleth has to squint to see what she’s writing.

2 hours ago, Glennstavos said:
    • Ferdinand sneaks a peak at Edelgard's subject matter and always argues the opposite.
  • Claude's papers could use a more formal style, since he composes as if he's in casual conversation.
  • Lysithea's papers are excellent. But she got visibly shaken the day you didn't give her a Good Job! stamp and she's been sending you rewrites of that paper ever since. 
  • Annette understands the citation style better than you do since she's the only one that read the newest edition of the manual. But how were you supposed to know they no longer use "ibid"? That's bullshit!

These are my headcanons now and you can't stop me.

37 minutes ago, singularity said:

Marianne has a nice handwriting but she writes so small Byleth has to squint to see what she’s writing.

I don't know why, but this sounds really sweet to me.

If we're also including faculty, I think Byleth would be very to the point in both how they write (no flourishes, small letters, etc) and what they write (very to-the-point). Shamir would be the same, while Hanneman and Seteth would be the same but with more flourishes. Manuela and Catherine's would barely readable while Rhea's would write in cursive but would still be easily readable (which makes sense since she probably writes a lot of letters and announcements to be stuck on the notice boards). Alois would be in between Rhea and Manuela/ Catherine and Jeritza's would be easily readable but still scruffy.

Edited by DefyingFates

3 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

If we're also including faculty, I think Byleth would be very to the point in both how they write (no flourishes, small letters, etc) and what they write (very to-the-point).

I’m imagining Byleth’s handwriting imitating a font...like if they wrote it with a typewriter instead lol

I imagine Ashe would be the type of kid whose handwriting starts off fairly legible, if a little sloppy, then slowly devolves into chicken scratch as the paper goes on, getting smaller and scruffier until Byleth just wants to pull his/her hair out.

Mercedes would low-key be the messiest writer in BL

Nobody knows what Ignatz's handwriting is like; for that one 500 word essay, he just painted half a portrait on the premise that "a picture tells a thousand words."

Same with Bernadetta, because she never left her room to turn her assignments in.

Considering Hubert exists to basically be Edelgard's secretary, I assume his writing would have to be pretty damn neat.

We know that Dedue only learned to write in Fodlan's script after the Tragedy of Duscur, so I figure his letters would be a little shaky and incorrectly formed at times. Still legible though.

Speaking of language issues, Petra would have super neat writing. Not to mention her grammar while writing would be amazing.

10 hours ago, KelluPato said:

I’m imagining Byleth’s handwriting imitating a font...like if they wrote it with a typewriter instead lol

Yes, exactly! I didn't know how to verbalise my idea until now, thank you so much!

54 minutes ago, Anathaco said:

Considering Hubert exists to basically be Edelgard's secretary, I assume his writing would have to be pretty damn neat.

Good point! And just like Jeralt! The two intimidating people at Garreg Mach end up with the neatest handwriting, huh? xD

On 9/16/2019 at 1:26 PM, Glennstavos said:
  • Lorenz has the most impressive penmanship but is always going far over the maximum word count suggestion no matter how much you tell him to reign it in.
  • Linhardt's papers are brilliant but are always within ten words of the minimum word count.
    • Raphael does the same but its various meat dishes fighting.
  • Edelgard's papers make many good points but follow no thesis statement so it's more like a rant.

I'm using these now 😛 Adding on, I feel Hubert also writes very edgy stuff. All three Lords have beautiful handwriting that befits their status. Both Byleths write neatly but without flourish. Caspar, Raphael, and Leonie have messy handwriting. For non-students, both Seteth and Rhea have gorgeous handwriting, both in standard and cursive. Flayn has good cursive but her standard is lacking. Ignatz adds artistic flourishes to his letters, though they are still legible. 

• Hubert sits behind Edelgard during every writing assignment to make sure nobody plagiarizes her work.
  • Dorothea dots her i's with hearts, which she got from Manuela.
  • Speaking of Manuela, her handwriting is technically fine but she has a tendency to eat while writing.
  • Hilda's handwriting is much neater than her lazy demeanor would suggest.
  • Ferdinand writes very meticulously to ensure his handwriting is better than Edelgard's. As such, his writing assignments take longer than they should.
  • Bernadetta's handwriting is readable, but sloppy because she wants to finish her assignment as quickly as possible so she can head back to her room. She's much more neat when writing in her room.
  • Dedue does his best to write very neatly, because Dimitri taught him to write and he doesn't want to let him down.
  • Lorenz believes it is a noble's duty to have the fanciest possible handwriting. Byleth frequently has trouble reading his work.
  • Leonie doesn't think it matters how neat her writing is as long as it's readable. Raphael agrees, but he places less emphasis on the "readable" part.

16 hours ago, Anathaco said:

Speaking of language issues, Petra would have super neat writing. Not to mention her grammar while writing would be amazing.

Oh, very much so! I think she even says she can read and write the language much better than she can speak it, and that's consistent with people learning English as a second language. 

Which is kind of the opposite of learning it as a first language. 

Here's my thoughts on it:

- Cyril can't read and write, so he probably has to have the tests read to him and give his answers verbally, unless Byleth accepts pictures. It's never clarified how good his drawings are, I like to think he's actually really good at doing little comic strip-like things. After he learns to read, he transposes letters every so often, so expect things like 'bappy' instead of 'happy,' and poor sentence structure. 

- Ingrid feels like one of those people who uses a ruler to make sure all of her lines are straight. Her handwriting is probably perfect, though it takes her forever to complete assignments. 

- Hubert gets extremely flustered because he accidentally turned in one of his death threat letters instead of his Reason thesis. 

- I could see Bernadetta actually having some of the best handwriting (When she actually turns things in) because of father related reasons. 

Not students, but... 

- Manuela probably does the loops and curves and elaborate flourishes thing. Heck, I could see her doing a little winky face after writing something suggestive. 

- If Shamir wrote something to anyone it would probably be one sentence. Possibly one word. 

- We know Catherine writes letters to Rhea a lot. I like to think she sends four or five pages, double-sided, about what she did that day.

• Edelgard: perfect, curved hand-writing. She's a daughter of an emperor, trained to be one ever since she was a kid so I'm pretty sure she would have the most formal writing style.
  • Hubert: probably copies Edelgard's style perfectly since he's her servant and the one who does the dirty work for her.
  • Bernadetta: meticulous and very good hand-writing considering she writes novels and interested in art.
  • Linhardt: very sloppy. He's lazy so I assume he thinks writing well is annoying for him.
  • Caspar: huge hand-writing and lots of spelling mistakes and scratches. He's hella optimistic so I think he would make lots of mistakes then scratch them to correct the words.
  • Hilda: a normal type of hand-writing: Easily readable, but slightly boring. She doesn't want anyone to have expectations in her so I assume she doesn't want to stand out.
  • Lysithea: nice and slightly curved. He's a middle ages playboy so I think he would want to impress women with letters and stuff.

EDIT: Sylvain instead of Lysithea.

Edited by Spectrum

4 minutes ago, Spectrum said:

Lysithea: nice and slightly curved. He's a middle ages playboy so I think he would want to impress women with letters and stuff.

I assume you meant Lorenz? Either way, the thought of Lysithea going around flirting with all the female students gave me a good chuckle.

46 minutes ago, Anathaco said:

I assume you meant Lorenz? Either way, the thought of Lysithea going around flirting with all the female students gave me a good chuckle.

Yikes I meant Sylvain actually. Maybe Lorenz too now that I think about it.

On 9/16/2019 at 1:26 PM, Glennstavos said:

21 hours ago, Spectrum said:
  • Caspar: huge hand-writing and lots of spelling mistakes and scratches. He's hella optimistic so I think he would make lots of mistakes then scratch them to correct the words.

Appreciate these.

Spoiler

I'm actually going to play as Caspar in D&D starting at next week's session. And since our notetaker had to drop out, I'll do it in character.

11 hours ago, Sid Starkiller said:

Appreciate these.

Reveal hidden contents

I'm actually going to play as Caspar in D&D starting at next week's session. And since our notetaker had to drop out, I'll do it in character.

Wonder how that would happen...

Spoiler

You know, Caspar being in D&D?

On 9/17/2019 at 8:08 PM, Naoko_Akamori said:

Hubert gets extremely flustered because he accidentally turned in one of his death threat letters instead of his Reason thesis. 

This totally absolutely happened.

Annette's is super cutesy.

Lindhardt's is surprisingly neat, but pretty basic.

Cyril is trying his best.

Seteth goes full blackletter when he's writing official documentation. Otherwise it's an absolute mess.

Flayn's is big and loopy with thin lines.

Leonie's is kind of rushed and she never uses capital letters.

Caspar holds his pencil like a knife and attacks the paper.

• 2 weeks later...

Hilda has the kawaii handwriting, later let's dorothea borrow it

Petra's looks like straight up art 

Dimitri's does the "looks good but ends up scratch" writing

Most of the professors use a typewriter but the less we talk about she who must not be named, the better (and it's not Rhea, she writes in Pacifico)

Also Seteth's looks like Papyrus Font. 

Cyril can only write in wingdings and Byleth is super confused