First time Fates player

Life

Which path for my first time through (Hard Mode)?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which game?

• Birthright
    • Conquest
    • Revelations

Wow, ninja forest is bullshit.

I understand why you'd have these kind of gimmicks. But they're stupid as hell since half my army is already on top of spikes and they magically appear only afterwards. And that's on top of a level where accurate dudes debuff my defenses and then Spear Fighters come in and take away half of Corrin's HP in a single shot.

This is not good map design. Good map design doesn't randomly say "SUPRISE, YOU TAKE 10% DAMAGE BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE A STRATEGY GUIDE OPEN". It's the exact same reason why the Tellius bridges suck.

Edited by Life

You're going to LOVE some of Conquest's gimmicks.  And please, feel free to PM me about your Revelation complaints (because the ninja forest is downright tame in context).

18 hours ago, Life said:

This is not good map design. Good map design doesn't randomly say "SUPRISE, YOU TAKE 10% DAMAGE BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE A STRATEGY GUIDE OPEN".

I do not really remember how that map plays, but does it not warn you right at the beginning of Turn 1 about the spikes dealing damage and reducing your statistics, and that units with Lock Touch are immune to this?

I am not defending this map, for I do not even remember its details, but I want to tell you that one needs to read and inspect a lot in Fates. Your whole army can march right into death if you do not check enemy skills, for example.

The map-specific mechanics are also described in the menu (under “Guide”, I think —I do not play it in English), so that you can read them at any point in the chapter. 

Ehhhhh Ninja Forest for like the first few turns can be a bit tricky when u trying to unbox yourself out of the starting area, and then once you clear the opening mob + start advancing in regular formation its a basic tank-and-spank.

Thre's ONE birthright map lategame, when you fight Camilla, where the map  throws a real curve ball at you. And where you need to put some actual thought into how you deal with it.

You'll know it when you see it. Have fun with that.  

No, it doesn't. There's no warning whatsoever that spikes appear aside from mousing over dragon veins and the first set of spikes are entirely hidden (no corresponding dragon vein).

The issue is more Ninjas + Spear Fighters on top of not being able to keep Azura around to heal the team because SURPRISE, she has to hang back to recruit Takumi (who does actually have the luxury of just deleting an enemy off of the map whenever I want).

6 hours ago, Life said:

No, it doesn't. There's no warning whatsoever that spikes appear aside from mousing over dragon veins and the first set of spikes are entirely hidden (no corresponding dragon vein).

The issue is more Ninjas + Spear Fighters on top of not being able to keep Azura around to heal the team because SURPRISE, she has to hang back to recruit Takumi (who does actually have the luxury of just deleting an enemy off of the map whenever I want).

I see no problem here. Silias exists and Corrin is on the map under half.

Ez.

Edited by joshcja

3 hours ago, joshcja said:

I see no problem here. Silias exists and Corrin is on the map under half.

Ez.

My Corrin feels weak due the shitty levels she has continuousltmy gotten. Like 23 HP weak at level 10.

3 minutes ago, Life said:

My Corrin feels weak due the shitty levels she has continuousltmy gotten. Like 23 HP weak at level 10.

Good.

I had to run bird Conbread into bows to get under half in my PMU. It was annoying.

Edited by joshcja

7 hours ago, Life said:

HP Growths are notoriously low in Fates across the board.

That said, having a Corrin with low health is not universally bad unless she is your only combat unit, which she won't be because freaking Subaki is viable in Birthright so you can use whoever you want. If anything you basically have Xander without Siegfried on your team as long as you don't instinctively heal Corrin until after Silas does what he needs to do.

Also, I don't remember the map exactly but I certainly don't remember it giving me any real trouble - the first set of spikes are near immobile enemies so it isn't like you are blindsided in a field of dudes when you first come by them, and later on you have the Dragon Veins to use them. For that matter, doesn't clicking a Dragon Vein show you the area where the things appear?

Edited by De Geso

On 9/17/2019 at 3:18 PM, eclipse said:

Or the single worst personal skill (and no, it's not Arthur, despite what a certain someone would say).

Now I'm curious which skill you're referring to.    The only one I can think of is the sheer uselessness of Selena's but at least that one doesn't make her worse like Arthur's

On 9/22/2019 at 8:17 AM, Femboy Advance SP said:

Now I'm curious which skill you're referring to.    The only one I can think of is the sheer uselessness of Selena's but at least that one doesn't make her worse like Arthur's

With a bit of planning, Arthur's can be exploited.  I have yet to say the same for Selena.