Call me crazy, but what if there were medieval mecha in Fire Emblem?

Runty

I was watching some Vision of Escaflowne and White Knight Chronicles, and was left thinking that similar medieval mecha could be an awesome addition to a future Fire Emblem game. These mecha don't have guns, missiles or whatnot; just giant swords, lances, and other such weapons. No high-tech screens, no thrusters, no nuclear reactors, etc. They're instead powered by magic or some other means.

Adding these to Fire Emblem's gameplay could be extremely creative, giving you access to 2x2 tile units meant to tackle larger enemies. Of course, your enemy would need access to them as well, but I would try to make it so they are very limited in number, and are not without drawbacks.

Here's a few jot notes I have regarding what I'd do for them:

• The mecha take up 2x2 tiles, so they cannot go into certain areas.
  • The mecha take bonus damage from certain weapons.
  • The mecha have high durability and (usually) high strength, but pay for it with speed and very low dodge chance.
  • Various spells and abilities would exist that can cripple or disable your mecha for a limited time.
  • Your mecha in question must be piloted by your story's Lord character and possible your "My Unit", so you'll be limited to 1-2 per game.
  • The mecha do not level the same way as other units, and require a unique upgrading mechanic to become stronger.

I'm sure there'd be more needed, but what do you think? Should Fire Emblem eventually try emulating Escaflowne?

19 minutes ago, Runty said:

I was watching some Vision of Escaflowne and White Knight Chronicles, and was left thinking that similar medieval mecha could be an awesome addition to a future Fire Emblem game. These mecha don't have guns, missiles or whatnot; just giant swords, lances, and other such weapons. No high-tech screens, no thrusters, no nuclear reactors, etc. They're instead powered by magic or some other means.

Adding these to Fire Emblem's gameplay could be extremely creative, giving you access to 2x2 tile units meant to tackle larger enemies. Of course, your enemy would need access to them as well, but I would try to make it so they are very limited in number, and are not without drawbacks.

Here's a few jot notes I have regarding what I'd do for them:

• The mecha take up 2x2 tiles, so they cannot go into certain areas.
  • The mecha take bonus damage from certain weapons.
  • The mecha have high durability and (usually) high strength, but pay for it with speed and very low dodge chance.
  • Various spells and abilities would exist that can cripple or disable your mecha for a limited time.
  • Your mecha in question must be piloted by your story's Lord character and possible your "My Unit", so you'll be limited to 1-2 per game.
  • The mecha do not level the same way as other units, and require a unique upgrading mechanic to become stronger.

I'm sure there'd be more needed, but what do you think? Should Fire Emblem eventually try emulating Escaflowne?

the idea does sound cool but they kinda already made big units in 3h, there are demonic beasts and the giant mechs and golems. they could just make the big units commandable for certain chapters tho i guess but in 3h at least enemy units have a tough time killing demonic beasts and the mech units so either the mechs will have to be weaker or the enemy units will have to be stronger in all diffuculties in general. regardless if it works i think it would be cool but only in the later parts in the game

21 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

Personally would go all the way the way into Futuristic spin offs where humanity devoloped mechas to fight Manakete on equal ground or something like that. 

Damn gunadam is ruining me.

Doesn't sound like a bad clash.

Humanity armed with metallic artificial giant mecha they've built. Vs. Manaketes and other non-human humanoids able to go Kaiju in size.

As long as we get to play as either or both, I'd be happy.

Ballista in Fates was sort of like that, except it took one spot instead of two IIRC. But I get what you're talking about. It sounds interesting in concept, but it should be only a select few units to pilot it. I see it being more like a Trojan Horse than a traditional mecha though.

I don't think I would want to see this in a main series FE game. The only way I could see it in a Medieval setting is some kind of magitech, and FE has always had it there are clear limits on what kind of magic humans are capable of, and any magic beyond that is either dragons or magic that humans really shouldn't mess with. 

I could definitely see this in a Fire Emblem x Xenoblade Chronicles crossover game. That would be really cool. 

4 hours ago, eclipse said:

If you want something like this, Trails of Cold Steel is thataway.  In FE?  The closest we had was a ballista.  It was tedious.  No thanks.

Which ballista; Shadow Dragon or Fates? I liked the Shadow Dragon version apart from their terrible movement, but I agree if you're talking about the Fates version. 

On 9/18/2019 at 3:17 PM, vanguard333 said:

Which ballista; Shadow Dragon or Fates? I liked the Shadow Dragon version apart from their terrible movement, but I agree if you're talking about the Fates version. 

Shadow Dragon, since Ballista was actually a unit.  In a no-warp run, I'd either have to give them the Boots, or I'd have to wait for them.

8 hours ago, eclipse said:

Shadow Dragon, since Ballista was actually a unit.  In a no-warp run, I'd either have to give them the Boots, or I'd have to wait for them.

Thanks. Yeah; I agree about their movement being atrocious. If ballistician is ever brought back, they should fix that terrible movement.