Tears of Serenia - Quick Links
ToS - Progress Reports and General Discussion
ToS - Character Recruitment
ToS - Releases

Google Documents
ToS - Characters and Classes
ToS - Weapons and Items
ToS - Chapter Notes

Tears of Serenia is a "spiritual successor" to Serenes Emblem. It still uses SRPG Studio as its engine, but the foundations have been built from the ground up instead of using Sanctaea Chronicles as a base. Specifically, Tears of Serenia relies heavily on SRPG Studio assets, so options are more limited and simplistic compared to other projects.

For the latest updates, please check the latest posts. I try to put out a progress report each Friday/Saturday (US Central Time).

Guess it's happening, people. Character Applications are open. Let's see where this goes...

Features:

• Planned 24 Chapter Adventure featuring the users of Serenes Forest.
  • Bows have 2-3 Range (A Short Bow with 1-2 Range is available at Rank C)
  • Class Skills, such as Canto, Axefaire, and Sol.
  • Weapon Triangle (+15 Hit, +15 Avoid, +1 Damage, -1 Damage // Swords > Axes > Lances > Swords)

Detailed Information
Chapter Notes: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Z42lLPeppyqII9zo0nnJUczqid1qSrDmF57DCJu9-sk/edit?usp=sharing
Characters, Classes, & Skills: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ki4EToIAisUgy2eu-0HlOxxjh53tpohQndNiD4lUZvI/edit?usp=sharing
Weapons & Items: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HSIg_8N7bIjSQsZ2hxz2BxiYN3FM_oryM0x6WCozQ3A/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by Sire

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/20/2019 at 10:04 PM, Vince777 said:

By curiosity, what's the rationale about bows being less accurate the closest you are to your target?

Honestly, there really isn't one outside of a gameplay difference. One could say if if enemy is charging at you or is nearby, they are more aware that the archer may target them and may try dodging more. If the target is father away, they may be focused on other things, making it easier for an archer to take out a more "predictable target."

From my experiences, Archers have the potential to be OP if...

A - They have access to Close Counter
B - They have improved range.

Granted, Mages innately have access to 1-2 range, but they are generally countered easily if a physical unit can engage them in combat. Archers tend to have more DEF and tend to avoid more attacks than Mages, making them a bit more durable.
Also, as of the latest FE installments (Shadows of Valentia, Three Houses), the extra range really helps Archers cement their position. The fact they have extra range and the ability to counter at 1 range is overkill in my opinion.

Having 1-2 range as an "omi-counter" is extremely powerful (see speedruns of Fates using Daggers or how useful Javelins / Hand Axes are in some installments). While I want to keep it as an option, I don't want it being overpowered as it usually is. So, I decided to make Short Bows as a way for players to keep their "Close Counter" archers, while tweaking existing bows into Long Bows to preserve the Archer buffs and keep their position as long range harassment units.

All that aside, at present I am thinking about simply scrapping these concepts and scavenging them to work with SRPG Studio. As SRPG Studio has limited assets, lots of things will have to be cut out for the transition to work. The spreadsheet below is my progress on a transition.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ki4EToIAisUgy2eu-0HlOxxjh53tpohQndNiD4lUZvI/edit?usp=sharing

Of note, lots of classes will be cut and there will no longer be Branching Classes. Also, all Bows will simply be 2-3 range, instead of being split into Short Bows and Long Bows. There will probably just be a C Rank Shortbow that has 1-2 range instead.

* * * EDIT * * *

Updated Spreadsheets. The SRPG Studio Transition is confirmed and underway. While not my personal choice for an engine, it is the one I am most familiar with and is the same one Serenes Emblem used before it went inactive.

Chapter Notes: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Z42lLPeppyqII9zo0nnJUczqid1qSrDmF57DCJu9-sk/edit?usp=sharing
Characters & Classes: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ki4EToIAisUgy2eu-0HlOxxjh53tpohQndNiD4lUZvI/edit?usp=sharing
Weapons: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HSIg_8N7bIjSQsZ2hxz2BxiYN3FM_oryM0x6WCozQ3A/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by Sire

9/27/2019 Update

Hoped to get more done, but I managed to lay down some proper foundations in the spreadsheets. However, this is just the first pass. I'm sure numbers and the like will have to be adjusted when it comes time to actually balance these things.

I've been looking through some plugins, and may end up using the GBA Combat Formula Plugin. It combines the STR and MAG stats as I originally envisioned, and it uses classic GBA FE mechanics for combat. I'm probably going to edit it slightly through so weight is reduced by "STR/2", provided I figure out how everything works.

Project Progression:
- Class Bases are mostly done, need to finish up T2 Classes and the Unique Classes.
- Swords, Axes, and Lances are basically done.

Priority Tasks:
- Class Bases need to be finished.
- Class Growths need to be tackled.
- Anima, Light, and Dark magic need to be tackled.
- Items need to be finished.
== Finish the Map Design of the Prototype Chapter.

10/4/2019 Update

Mostly worked on finishing the map this week as well as finishing up the various Tomes and Items. If you want to look at the map in its current form, click on the spoiler below!

Once the first pass on the numbers are done, we get to the actual part of implementing everything into SRPG Studio. Getting the skills to work and using a modified GBA formula will be the tricky part, but once everything is implemented, the prototype should be able to be released shortly thereafter.

Spoiler

GD7HK8s.png

Project Progression:
- The Map Design of the Prototype Chapter is finished.
- Magic (Anima, Light, Dark) and Items (Consumables + Staves) are done.

Priority Tasks:
- Class Bases still need to be finished.
- Class Growths still need to be tackled.
= Implement everything into SRPG Studio
= Work on the Level Design of the Prototype Chapter.

10/12/2019 Update

Turns out my original map was a bit too ambitious as I hit the "enemy limit" of the SRPG Studio Demo. I'm surprised the demo has gotten me this far, but it looks like I'm going to have to downscale the prototype chapter so I can actually get it running. So, that's exactly what I did. I created a smaller map, implemented most of the stuff, and was mostly working on events throughout the week.

At this point, it looks like I may actually try to go through with the project, but I still need to finish the prototype and purchase the actual software to get anywhere. I am still hesitant to open up sign-ups when I don't even have the software or a prototype to show off.

Project Progression
- Classes Bases and Growths are finished and implemented into SRPG Studio.
- Some Skills have been implemented into SRPG Studio. There are some that still need to be added (either I need to make them or come up with replacements).
- Map Design on a 2nd prototype chapter is finished.
-- Level Design is in progress.
== Progress on the original prototype chapter has been halted. It may be revised later for a possible paralogue.

Priority Tasks
- Implement Weapons and Items into SRPG Studio
-- Finish implementing Skills into SRPG Studio.
- Finish Prototype Chapter 2.0.

10/18/2019 Update

Well, I got a lot done in the last week. I managed to get the Prototype done on Monday, opened up Character Applications,  and continued tinkering away at Tears of Serenia. I had to revise Class Growths as I made the mistake of not including LCK, so LCK is now properly included alongside other minor changes.

Besides tidying up a few things and getting some more stuff implemented, I'm likely to transition into the waiting game as Character Applications roll in. It's somewhat difficult to design maps when I don't know the party composition or the "chapter-by-chapter" storyline. While I have ideas for certain ones, the most I could do for those are probably just the map design as enemy composition and story need characters in order to progress. (Having a Lord and a Jeigan will substantially increase progress as I'm mostly handling the first arc. The rest of the story is still up in the air.)

Chapter 6 Map Preview in the spoiler below (Notice: Preview is of a work in progress. The final version may be different in the actual release.)

Spoiler

Zi59aMN.png

Project Progression
- Opened up Character Applications! Click on the link or visit the topic on the Fan Projects section to apply!
- Prototype Chapter finished. (Funnily enough, it's already outdated)
- Most Weapons/Items are implemented.
- Revised Class Growths to include the LCK stat, alongside other minor changes. (I made a mistake thinking there were no Class LCK growths in the original draft. When I rechecked FE8's class growths, I noticed the discrepancy.)
- Finished Chapter 6 Map Design (Trivia: The image shown above is the 3rd iteration of the map!)

Priority Task
- Wait for more Character Applications (Somewhat hard to work on maps and story when the project is mostly community driven.)
- Finish implementing Skills into SRPG Studio (The skills that remain require a bit more work in order to function, and I may end up replacing some skills.)
- Work on Manakete inclusion (I need to figure out how they will work, their base stats, growths, and implementing them into SRPG Studio.)
X: Finish implementing Weapons into SRPG Studio (I'll require the Retail Version to continue this as I reached the "Demo Cap" for weapons.)

Edited by Sire

3 hours ago, EdelgardHresvelgTargaryen said:

Will there be legendary weapons

The "Dragon" weapons are the legendary weapons.

The Main Lord may have a "unique" one, I'm not sure yet.

10/26/2019 Update

Mostly worked on maps this week as I wait for character applications. Specifically, Chapter 9 (Corbin's recruit chapter) and Chapter 15 (Fenreir's recruit chapter). A preview of their current version is in the spoiler below.

Also, I'm toying with the idea that Manaketes disguise themselves as Bards/Dancers in Tears of Serenia, as they will be using those models for their human forms. So, when transformed, they are powerful dragons, but when untransformed, they can support their allies with their performances.

I still need to work on properly implementing Skills and Manaketes, but I find working on maps to be more enjoyable. Either way, they need to get done.

Spoiler

Chapter 9
GzGPNMF.png

Chapter 15
Qx8X2IO.png

Project Progression
- Map Design for Chapters 9 and 15 are finished.

Priority Tasks
- Wait for more Character Applications (Still a bit hard to work on maps and story when the project is mostly community driven.)
- Finish implementing Skills into SRPG Studio (The skills that remain require a bit more work in order to function, and I may end up replacing some skills.)
- Work on Manakete inclusion (I still need to figure out how they will work, their base stats, growths, and implementing them into SRPG Studio.)
X: Finish implementing Weapons into SRPG Studio (I'll require the Retail Version to continue this as I reached the "Demo Cap" for weapons.)

10/31/2019 Update

Took advantage of the Steam Halloween sale to pick up SRPG Studio proper, so I now actually have the software and am no longer restricted by the demo! Yay.

I decided to go with the route that Manaketes are Bards/Dancers in disguise. I got some of their functions worked out, but I still need to properly implement them into SRPG Studio and have a working transformation mechanic. 

As everything is now basically set for me to actually make "real progress," the main thing that is holding me back is the lack of characters. We currently only have 14 confirmed characters, with 2-3 more that have yet to submit their applications. While I can easily make generic bosses and allies, the game will become less about Serenes Forest and just be "another SRPG Studio" game.

Project Progression
- Weapons are all implemented in SRPG Studio. (I'm still worried about Tomes and their balance, but that comes later.)
- Skills are all implemented into SRPG Studio. (Only the "Unstoppable" skill still need some work.)
- Map Design of Chapter 1 is done.

Priority Tasks
- Playing the waiting game for Character Applications.
- Work on Manaketes.

• 2 weeks later...

11/8/2019 Update

No progress was made last week, mostly due to illness. While I rested in an attempt to get better, I got sucked back into playing Langrisser Mobile. I have no idea how long I will play it, as the core gameplay and art is good, but other aspects of it are just repulsive and it is still a time vortex. The problem is that the game is addicting to play...

I plan on revising the first chapter as what I have now doesn't really work for a tutorial level. I may end up redesigning the map as well, I don't know yet.

Edit: Also, for those who joined the Discord but haven't signed up properly, you have been kicked from it. Feel free to rejoin if/when everything is in order.

Project Progression
- None!

Priority Tasks
- Character Applications
- Manakete Inclusion
- Revise Chapter 1

Edited by Sire

11/16/2019 Update

Did a livestream of development progress this week, lasting 4 hours and covering the "creation of maps 1 & 2." The VOD should be up for another 10 days, although I do have a locally recorded file that I still need to edit and publish somewhere for archival purposes. (The first livestream which was the map design of CH 9 has been lost.)
-- https://www.twitch.tv/sirmarcuscalibur

Other than the livestream and some minor work on the character sheets, no other progress has been made. Hopefully I'll be able to make substantial progress next week if/when I have time to actually sit down and work on Tears of Serenia as I doubt I'll get anything done during the week of Thanksgiving (week after next).

For fun, we now have 23 playable characters, which is definitely a better number than the 14 we had back in October 31st. No one has claimed the "Knight" class yet (although my character is in a special variant of it), and our roster leans more towards the magical side of things. Either way, I look forward to how things will progress from here.

Project Progression
- Map Design: Chapters 1 & 2
, Finished

Priority Tasks
- Character Applications
- Manaketes

- Skill: Unstoppable (Proper Implementation)
- Level Design: Chapters 1 & 2

i wasn't sure where to put these, so i guess i'll borrow some space from here.

anyway, here's a couple of gifts from me( yet again :P ). hopefully they'll be enough for the time being.

» ToS logo(rebooted)

To-S-logo-reboot.jpg

» ToS logo clean version

To-S-clean-logo.jpg

» main screen concept(prototype)

To-S-demo-ani-x.gif

@Fenreir

Wow man, these look awesome!

Can I get the images in PNG format (with one of just the logo that's transparent)? I would like to use the icon for the Discord server so it's not boring letters.

As for the Main Menu prototype, it looks beautiful! However, I'm not sure if I can implement that myself into SRPG Studio as I haven't delved into its UI Design. To get something that actually looks like that, I'll likely need someone else to work on it or spend more time learning the engine to see if it works.

20 hours ago, Sire said:

Can I get the images in PNG format (with one of just the logo that's transparent)? I would like to use the icon for the Discord server so it's not boring letters.

sure, there you go:

ToS-logo.png

20 hours ago, Sire said:

As for the Main Menu prototype, it looks beautiful! However, I'm not sure if I can implement that myself into SRPG Studio as I haven't delved into its UI Design. To get something that actually looks like that, I'll likely need someone else to work on it or spend more time learning the engine to see if it works.

i can provide split/single images/icons if necessary, as long as there's nothing else involving html stuff or the likes.

i have 0 knowledge about coding, so i can only handle the graphic part in terms of jpeg, png and/or gif files.

[edit] also, it would be quite cool if it's possible to insert chapter images as standard intro when a new chapter starts, or when a story is being told.

i'll make some examples later on.

Edited by Fenreir

since i'm apparently quite inspired these days, here's some concepts for the chapter intros i mentioned before:

» 1st version

a1.jpg

» 2nd version(alternative)

a2.jpg

before anyone asks, yes, i did draw that.

just don't expect me to do full colored/detailed scenes a la Shadow Dragon/New Mystery of the Emblem though, 'cause that's a big nope for me :P

Edited by Fenreir

11/23/2019 Update

Where's a time machine when you need one, or at least the power to manipulate time? Every time I try to block out my schedule to work on ToS, something else comes up instead. I really wanted to work on the level design this week, but at least I finally managed to get Manaketes working and did some backend work for Master Seals and Second Seals.

While I would love to say I want to get at least Arc One done before the end of the year (6 playable chapters), that begins to set expectations and from a developer's point of view, setting expectations is a terrible idea. From a dev standpoint, "when it's ready" is the best result, although that doesn't help marketing or to build hype from the playerbase. Anyways, it is what it is...

Also, as a note, there will be no report next week (11/29/2019), as I'll be celebrating Thanksgiving with the family. To those that celebrate the holiday, have a Happy Thanksgiving, and to those who don't, have happy day anyways! Don't spend too much money on "deals" unless they are actually worth it.

Project Progression
- Manaketes
 (Balancing will take more time)
- Master Seals & Second Seals (Did backend work so they function properly.)

Priority Tasks
- Character Applications

@PeonyofLeosa Dreamworld

Been in a bit of a slump as of late due to real life issues, and I couldn't do any work during Thanksgiving and a bit afterwards due to family stuff. // Things do seem to be looking better though, so I hope I can resume work sooner rather than later.

7 hours ago, Sire said:

Been in a bit of a slump as of late due to real life issues, and I couldn't do any work during Thanksgiving and a bit afterwards due to family stuff. // Things do seem to be looking better though, so I hope I can resume work sooner rather than later.

Take all the time that you need man, life's about the journey, not the destination and all that, don't forget to stop and smell the roses every once in a while too. 

12/14/2019 Update

I think I managed to resolve those life issues, so I should finally, finally be able to resume work on Tears of Serenia.

In the meantime, I got some more basic foundation work done such as updating the spreadsheets and the like. As for the game itself in SRPG Studio, I haven't had a chance to really dive into that yet.

Project Progression
- Spreadsheets
 (Behind the Scenes Work)

Priority Tasks