Crimson Flower Flayn Poll *Spoilers*

I Love Flayn

Crimson Flower Flayn Poll *Spoilers*  

101 members have voted

1. 1. On your first Crimson Flower playthrough, what did you do to Flayn in chapter 15, and your intentions?

• I spared her intentionally
    • I spared her accidentally and didn't know she could be killed
    • I killed her accidentally, but divine pulsed/restarted to spare her
    • I killed her but regretted it or didn't know she could be spared
    • I killed her intentionally

Asking without judgement, I'm genuinely curious to what the majority of people did regarding the fight against Flayn. Since statistically most people chose Black Eagles as their first house, it's very likely they were unaware of the mechanics regarding her survival (though if Crimson Flower wasn't your first path I would still like to hear from you). I want to see what action most players ended up taking, and whether or not their knowledge of her survival and/or their opinion toward her personally played a role in their decision.

For me, Crimson Flower was my first playthrough and I didn't want to kill Flayn from the start. I didn't know about killing vs sparing, and by pure luck ended up sparing her to give Byleth the boss EXP.

1 hour ago, Etheus said:

I killed her three times thanks to divine pulse.

I did the same, but because that part of the map was just messy and I was struggling to finish Flayn in such a way that Lysithea and Ingrid could survive Alois and the nearby units the next turn.

26 minutes ago, bethany81707 said:

I did the same, but because that part of the map was just messy and I was struggling to finish Flayn in such a way that Lysithea and Ingrid could survive Alois and the nearby units the next turn.

I hear you. That was the real reason. I was having difficulty not losing a unit that turn. Flayn murder was just the silver lining.

I kinda just had a gut feeling that defeating her and Seteth with Byleth would cause them to be spared, mostly from the way they talked about how they didn't want to fight the professor and how the professor did so much for Flayn.

It just turned out my gut instinct was right.  I didn't really know anything, I probably just figured the opportunity to spare would come up because I also defeated Claude with Byleth and he was able to be spared.

Really glad I spared them.  If there were any potential deaths I was truly dreading, it was theirs'.  Could stomach killing Dimitri, Dedue, Ingrid, Catherine, Cyril... hell, I could even stomach having Annette be the one to murder frickin' Gilbert.  And I could definitely stomach killing Rhea, especially after she

Spoiler

forced Catherine to set Fhirdiad on fire with all the civilians still inside it, like the goddamn psycho loony she was at that point in the story.

But I wouldn't be happy about killing Flayn and Seteth.  I guess it's the

Spoiler

father-daughter bond.  Then again, if it was just that, then I wouldn't have been so gung-ho about letting Annette turn her own father into toast.

For other units which I didn't recruit, like Hilda, I just avoided attacking them.

3 hours ago, LelouchUzumaki said:

Asking without judgement, I'm genuinely curious to what the majority of people did regarding the fight against Flayn. Since statistically most people chose Black Eagles as their first house, it's very likely they were unaware of the mechanics regarding her survival (though if Crimson Flower wasn't your first path I would still like to hear from you). I want to see what action most players ended up taking, and whether or not their knowledge of her survival and/or their opinion toward her personally played a role in their decision.

For me, Crimson Flower was my first playthrough and I didn't want to kill Flayn from the start. I didn't know about killing vs sparing, and by pure luck ended up sparing her to give Byleth the boss EXP.

I went out of my way to kill her with Byleth for them unique dialogues, turns out that spares her, who knew? I figured she was completely killable and checked with Petra and divine pulse.

I suppose I could have spared her, but that I sent my Avatar to deal with the front because was more problematic. There's also the threat of the fire attack, so I decided to rush it by killing her. Do I regret it? Maybe, but not enough to go out of my way to spare them.

Edited by ZeManaphy

I've killed her then use the divine pulse as I was sure she could be spared by letting Byleth fight her. And I was right! It was quite obvious actually. But I hoped she could be recruited afterwards, especially since she liked Byleth. 

I wanted to spare her but I had to kill her. I wouldn’t say it was intentional, it was just something that had to be done.

Spoiler

I don’t regret killing Rhea though.

Edited by Faustino

I killed her and didn't know I could spare her. Even if I'd known, I probably would not have spared her: that battle was the first on CF to really push me and I didn't have time to screw around and wait for one of my infantry units (Enlightened One Byleth) to reach her. But I will try to spare her and Seteth in the future.

Crimson Flower was first for me.

Didn't know you could spare them at that point, but wouldn't have anyway for the same reason I didn't spare the other major choice in that game. If I'm gonna be the Empire and conquer the world, you best believe we were killing every last one of them.

I generally go out of my way to witness every boss quote I can, leading to Byleth(who thankfully was a flier that run) engaging both, and me unintentionally sparing them as a result. Although I still would have, had I known.

Since votes have been declining I figure now is a good time to review the results. The ratio of killing vs sparing Flayn has stayed steadily around 50:50, with killing having a slight advantage of around %0.8 as of the time of this post. The majority of those who participated wanted Flayn to survive or at the very least were indifferent to her death, at 87.69% as of this post, while the remaining 12.31% killed her with (what I assume is) malicious intent. Interestingly, there have also been replies from those who've expressed intent to spare her on subsequent playthroughs, so the amount of total times spared on average is likely to be higher than just on initial playthrough. I may make a second poll in a few months collecting those results.

This information has been very helpful to me. Thank you to those who participated and also who shared their thoughts on the subject.

And this is just a personal aside, but to those who killed Flayn intentionally out of dislike/hatred of her: could I ask why? Flayn comes off to me as pleasant and inoffensive, so what is it about her that makes some believe she deserves death? Are there aspects of her character that cause that strongly of a negative response in some that I may not be aware of? This has got me curious enough that I might make another thread on it, but I wanted to ask here first.

Killed her and Seteth, didn't know they could be spared. I like them both so it was painful.

Generally I don't go out of my way to spare characters even if I like them, the only exceptions so far being Claude on CF, Ashe on GD (because I recruited him pre skip) and CF (didn't fight him), and Linhardt on GD (purposely ended the fight before he could be targeted by green units).