Favorite route? (Spoilers allowed)

Corrobin

Which route is your favorite?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite route?

What can I say, the Blue Lions just really won me over. It started with me falling head over heels for Dimitri, continued when I fell for Felix and Sylvain, and just got worse as I fell for Ashe, Mercedes, Annette, Ingrid, and Dedue. After that it's definitely Verdant Wind, then Crimson Flower and Silver Snow are so far tied. We'll see how my opinion develops but Azure Moon sits strongly at the top for me.

Verdant Wind, although it is faaaar from perfect. I jive with Claude more than the other two, and a ragtag band of misfits just fits me more - they feel more like an actual class. BE is noble-topia and BL is a band of childhood friends with deep-seated, unresolved issues.

As a contrarian I actually like Silver Snow, more than Verdant wind to be honest. I still quite like Crimson Flower as well, since it was my first route and I developed a strong fondness for the Black Eagle students. 

Crimson Flower because I really like the Eagles and Edelgard in particular. The other lords and students are great, too, and some of my favorites are non-Eagles, but the lord is the most important character in each route (obviously). I only wish it were more fleshed out.

Azure Moon is great because it has strong, emotionally resonant storytelling. Great main character, great main antagonist, great main supporting cast (Felix brings a surprising amount to the table).

Crimson Flower is great because it has the most unique content and is well-paced. It delves into what I consider the main thesis of the game (when is revolution justified) even more than AM and has the ending I find most satisfying.

I think the other two are notably worse, VW is muddled but saved by Claude who is great, while SS is just... I'm still not sure what it's trying to accomplish that other routes don't. The most disappointing thing about this game's writing to me is how broadly similar the non-CF routes, and AM is obviously the best of the three, so the other two look worse by comparison. (The other most disappointing thing about the game's writing is how badly handled the slitherers are, and this hurts VW/SS more than other routes since they're a bit more prominent there.)

I think it’s interesting how each of the main routes (because fuck off Silver Snow) each have their own distinct benefits and drawbacks. And I’m sure first playthough bias is mega apparent too like it probably is with me  

CF has the most unique content and the least in general making it disappointing for like a 2nd/3rd playthough in terms of Route order for going through an identical part 1 yet again while being a bit too short and wrapping up a bit too nicely for my taste. Especially when GD kinda undermines the TWSITD war by making that ending extra dumb. I just feel like it obviously needed more time to round out the conflict of the story, but I’m sure there’s a lot of agreement with that. 

Golden Deer has the best cast integration overall for the routes imo and the least amount of noticeable issues when looked in a vacuum but is realistically the most copy pasted route of the 3 outside the stellar ending but is it too much of a golden ending? I can’t really say. Also the reused maps are fine for a first playthrough but really works to undermine Claude as if he were a schemer or something which didn’t have a good pay off despite the nice build up in part 1.

Blue Lions has the most introspective route for Dimitri which is unique in this game when Edelgard and Claude are trying to look at the big picture but I’m not entirely sold on Dimitri’s turn around overall even if I liked the build up to Dimitri snapping. Ironically despite going full punished more Dimitri is realistically one of the “typical” lord of the 3. Considering he’s the one with the closest group of friends when’s Edelgard is... herself and Claude is an outsider to basically everyone. 

I personally think Verdant Wind pulls off its own self contained story the best but I could definitely see why people would enjoy the other routes more for being conceptually a bit more interesting. I’ve always been a person about execution more than in theory stuff.  If you like the Church Route... I’m just gonna guess you did it to S support Rhea 

Edited by SubwayBossEmmett