“Unconventional” Builds you’ve had fun with

Fuzzlekins

On 9/19/2019 at 4:30 PM, Karimlan said:

Does making Felix a gauntlet-wielding Assassin count? (props to @eclipse for the idea)

Hired him in my Hard GD run, and if he doesn't deal additional damage with his Crest, crits process frequently on him like nobody's business. Eventually carried over Lethality to his endgame class (War Master), and damage-dealing is going to absurd levels oftentimes. 

I ran Swordmaster Felix with a Gauntlet sub weapon and can confirm that this is basically what happens if you let Mr. Fraldarius punch people. It's awesome.

Speaking of gauntlets though, if you train Dedue in Grappler early on his proficiency scales really well into the late game, to the point that even as a fortress knight having him just equip his gauntlets makes him super scary on all phases.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Falcoknight Dorothea and Marianne running around with a Levin Sword and Magic Lance (separate runthroughs).

Great Knight Lindhardt - Gets doubled by absolutely everything but doesn't take damage from any enemy without a Silver weapon.

Dark/Holy Knight Ferdinand

Dancer Felix

Gremory Edelgard, Bernadetta and Ingrid, all 3 of them are great, Ingrid and Bernadetta both have Physic and Edelgard is an absolute monster (Hades, Luna and Seraphim aren't even necessary, but great boss killers).

I see no point doing the same old builds past your 2nd or 3rd run through. Sounds absolutely boring.

Edited by Eltoshen

Dancer Lysithea with a Levin Sword+. (Blue Lions Route)
- Most of the time Dancer Lysithea was being a combat unit instead of a dancer, but it was fun to see her annihilating her foes with a Levin Sword.

I haven't gotten around to doing more "for fun / meme" builds as I'm burnt out on Three Houses and still need to finish Silver Snow. I have done some variants though, such as Assassin Felix and Falcon Knight Petra.

Dancer Ferdinand

+15 avoid from personal skill

+20 avoid from sword avo+20

+battalion that gives avoid

+30 avoid from alert stance+

yeah this dude is unkillable lol

but Ferdie has a decent-ish spell list so magic utility?

Dancer Felix and Falconknight Marianne were the greatest. 10/10 would do again. Marianne especially just annihilated stuff early on with Frozen Lance + class effective weapons and later on with Levin Sword/Blutgang/Soul Blade + Rapier. I've also made her into a Dark Knight but I don't know unconventional that is.

Manuela went into Swordsmaster and then Mortal Savant. I don't know if that's unconventional but I assume it is after seeing how many people refuse to invest in the hindered skill growths (in this case her reason). She's one of the only units who won't be slowed down to snail's pace thanks to her amazing speed and appreciates the extra growths in both of her offenses.

Falconknight bow wielding Shamir was also a thing. Took quite the investment to turn her into one but was not disappointed with having basically another Claude running amok. Her strength was a bit on the lower end of the spectrum though.

M̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶u̶n̶c̶o̶n̶v̶e̶n̶t̶i̶o̶n̶a̶l̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶I̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶C̶y̶r̶i̶l̶

Warlock Hilda. Even if she doesn't get a single point of magic leveling up, look at this:

17 mag from class bases

6 mag from fiendish blow

5 mag from black tomefaire

3 mag from Magic staff

12 mt from Bolting

That's 43 mt without battalions. And she gets 4 charges of that.

I'm in the middle of my second Azure Moon hard playthrough and I decided to do several unconventional builds this time around.

Some successful ones so far:

• Pegasus Knight Hilda. This class is working so much better than Wyvern Rider for me since her speed growth isn't as shaky and Lances have better accuracy and weight than axes. I snagged reposition and def +2 from soldier this time around so she's got great support utility and her bulk isn't shabby either.
  • Pegasus Knight Bernadetta. I recruited her much later than Hilda so her stats are nowhere near as good and she doesn't have Reposition or NG+ Death Blow. Still, she's quite nimble and being proficient in bows lets her stand out quite a bit.
  • Paladin Dimitri. This isn't unconventional, but I was reluctant to make him a paladin since pretty much every paladin I've used in other playthroughs sucked real bad. However, Dimitri is straight up godly as a Paladin. Takes no damage from most enemies and has really high speed on top of eight movement so things die pretty easily.
  • Paladin Lorenz. Again not unconventional, but I was reluctant on making him one since Paladin's get doubled pretty easily (I went Mage -> Dark Bishop -> Dark Knight in my last playthrough). He's not as overpowered as Dimitri since his speed, defenses, and offenses are more middling, Still, his stats and bulk are good enough where he can live enemy onslaughts pretty well and he does good single hit damage.
  • Sniper Dedue. I made him a Sniper since high def archers are fun to use (looking at you SoV Kliff). He's not as tanky as I'd imagine but I'm surprised at how often he's doubling enemies.
  • Sniper Felix. Not unconventional, but still something I wanted to try. He's fulfilling the role of tanky archer better than Dedue thanks to Aegis Shield, but as a result, his speed isn't the best. Honestly I just have him use weapons like Training Sword if I want him to double and kill stuff, and use Bows more as a way to severely chip the opponent. Still, he's performing really well, much better than Swordmaster and Assassin Felix that I've used in other playthoughs.

Some builds I need a bit more time using:

• Mage Ignatz. Recruited him late so I had to feed him stat boosters and baby him as a Mage  w// Knowledge Gem to learn Fiendish Blow. His attacking stats aren't great (can't even ORKO armor knights) but his speed is good enough to double reasonably well. Since his attack is higher than his magic stat and he has good weapon ranks for Sword and Bows, I use those weapons as secondary options against certain enemies, which is fun.
Edited by FoxyGrandpa

1 hour ago, FoxyGrandpa said:

Sniper Dedue. I made him a Sniper since high def archers are fun to use (looking at you SoV Kliff). He's not as tanky as I'd imagine but I'm surprised at how often he's doubling enemies.

I've been thinking about making him a Fortress Knight that uses Bows next time I play Blue Lions. The plan here is to give him a Longbow and a Pure Water, as well as feed him every Res stat booster I can get my hands on. Gimmicky? Hell yeah, but it sounds like tons of fun.

I'm finishing my first playthrough so..I might as well make a 2nd post on my units:

Like I said, Ferdinand is a healer. Almost a Holy Knight.

Bernadetta is a Falcon Knight. (Optimal, but far from conventional) She does pretty good with the small ''Initiative Wrath'' build that I made for her. Having a flier archer saved more lives than you know.

Lorenz is a Soldier. That's it. 

Dorothea is a Mortal Savant. Losing speed still hurts me, especially for the final form of the FREAKIN SWORD LINE. (Literally the only god damn thing that the whole class line had was spd and str!)

50% of my team is made of Holy Knights. (I really love this class, is it that hard to believe?)

Gilbert is the only Great Knight. (Seriously, use this guy)

Ashe had the 2nd best Str of my team (until Raphael skyrocket him after 6-7 levels). Not really a unconventional build, just some crazy luck while he was a Cavalier.

2 minutes ago, BergelomeuSantos said:

I'm finishing my first playthrough so..I might as well make a 2nd post on my units:

Like I said, Ferdinand is a healer. Almost a Holy Knight.

Bernadetta is a Falcon Knight. (Optimal, but far from conventional) She does pretty good with the small ''Initiative Wrath'' build that I made for her. Having a flier archer saved more lives than you know.

Lorenz is a Soldier. That's it. 

Dorothea is a Mortal Savant. Losing speed still hurts me, especially for the final form of the FREAKIN SWORD LINE. (Literally the only god damn thing that the whole class line had was spd and str!)

50% of my team is made of Holy Knights. (I really love this class, is it that hard to believe?)

Gilbert is the only Great Knight. (Seriously, use this guy)

Ashe had the 2nd best Str of my team (until Raphael skyrocket him after 6-7 levels). Not really a unconventional build, just some crazy luck while he was a Cavalier.

Bernadetta has been a Falcon Knight frequently for me, too. It seems like it was a build people were trying out at the outset? Yeah, she saved the last chapter of Crimson Flower for me because of her crest. She critted three times in a row when I messed up on my placement against Rhea and had no more Divine Pulses. Doubled, plus one extra from her crest. Wish I could have digitally high-fived Bernadetta right there.

Swordmaster Marianne makes her paralogue SO much easier. She can dodge tank all of the monsters and deal decent damage back.

I'm not sure if it's unorthodox but Falcon Knight Leonie was great. She was super fast and deadly with a Brave Lance.

In terms of builds, I can't think of anything really dumb classwise (unless War Master Cyril is that unconventional)

In terms of skills though... hoo boy.

This was my first playthrough's Ashe. To this day, I am amazed I actually managed to pull this off (hard mode, so no grinding)

Fighter > Cavalier > Brigand > Hero > Wyvern Lord > Bow Knight

Thanks to all those mastery skills, he ended up with Death Blow, Desperation, Defiant Strength and Defiant Crit.

Throw him at some hard-hitting enemy to activate all his skills, give him a Brave Bow and watch him quad everything with War Master levels of damage from four spaces away, and with consistent 60-70% crit rates. Oh, and Canto.

You'd best believe I use those skills on him in all my NG+ runs now.

I don't think this is too unconventional, but I ran Hilda as a fortress knight.  She was squishy at first but then her defense skyrocketed and now at level 30 she's got around a 15 spd and like a 32 defense with great strength.  She doesn't get doubled and can actually double other armors and great knights

I'm running a "randomised" BL Hard play through right now. Basically just putting all the names and classes in a spreadsheet and scrambling it. 

My favourites so far have been Warrior Mercedes, who is an absolute beast for some reason; Sniper Sylvain is decent, though not entirely unconventional; and Paladin Marianne, who is... fine. 

In my infantry only run, I made Petra a Fortress Knight and oh my goodness she was unstoppable. The fastest Fortress Knight you will ever see. Enemies could barely hit her, and those that did dealt no damage. She was doubling assassins and swordmasters. I did it as a goof, and now I’m convinced it’s 100% viable. Shame about that move speed, but with a march ring and an infantry only run, it wasn’t an issue. 

I'm on my first NG+, doing Silver Snow. I'm thinking of making Ferdinand the Dancer (since I missed the thing in BL), but if not, I guess his canon class will do. I was also tempted to make him the Dark Mage. Maybe on my eventual BE run I'll make Edelgard a Bishop (LOLOLOLOL).

There are a couple things I want to do in my next playthrough:

Falcon Knight!Flayn, for starters, because she comes with the certification for Pegasus (right?) and I think it could be fun to use. Is there a lance counterpart to the Levin Sword and Bolt Axe that I haven't found?

Gremory!Bernadetta seems like it's actually not bad - her spell list is quite impressive, especially on the Faith side. Maybe she's good Holy or Dark Knight material, too?

Gremory!Shamir gives me a similar impression though in her case I think she's best off avoiding the riding classes.

Bow Knight!Mercedes could be cool, though digging her out of low lance rank will require some dedication.

Not sure if Dancer!Lysithea is unconventional or not but I wager most people choose Marianne for their Golden Deer dancer if not Flayn.

Speaking of Marianne, I like the idea of Falcon Knight (also probably not all that unconventional).

Mortal Savant!Ignatz could be cool.

Leonie might like being an Assassin, but Bow Knight just suits her so naturally it's hard to justify choosing something else.

3 minutes ago, De Geso said:

Falcon Knight!Flayn, for starters, because she comes with the certification for Pegasus (right?) and I think it could be fun to use. Is there a lance counterpart to the Levin Sword and Bolt Axe that I haven't found?

Yes, but iirc, it's only available on one route, and it might be the one where you don't get to use her, unfortunately =(

6 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Yes, but iirc, it's only available on one route, and it might be the one where you don't get to use her, unfortunately =(

Aw, bummer. Guess she's going to stick with the Levin Sword then.

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

You get it from Hubert's paralogue, so yeah. Technically it's also available in the final chapter of GD but I wouldn't recommend building around using it there for the obvious reasons.

15 hours ago, Arachnofiend said:

You get it from Hubert's paralogue, so yeah. Technically it's also available in the final chapter of GD but I wouldn't recommend building around using it there for the obvious reasons.

You may as well not get it at all then, haha. I remember on the final chapter of CF I skipped the chests completely because I couldn't think of a reason to go out of my way for them when the end of the game was right there.