Fire Emblem Three Houses Beginners Tips?

Maddie

I'm about to start playing Three Houses and because the game seems very different to the other games I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or things I should focus on in my first playthrough. I'm going to be joining the Black Eagles first but not sure who I'll romance until I start the game.

9 minutes ago, Fire Brand said:

Also, the game is ridiculously easy, trust me you don't need any tips or anything. Just jump straight in. 

Seconded. It's only hard if you don't use the divine pulse, and it isn't all that friendly to non-rewinding playstyles. A few mechanics are really unfair and assume the player has a ton of rewinds to not have to suffer the consequences of them.

Edited by Alastor15243

1 minute ago, Alastor15243 said:

Seconded. It's only hard if you don't use the divine pulse, and it isn't all that friendly to non-rewinding playstyles. A few mechanics are really unfair and assume the player has a ton of rewinds to not have to suffer the consequences of them.

If you play on Maddening perhaps.

On normal or Hard I barely had the need to use the rewind mechanic while on Maddening I'm spamming it (and not ashamed of it, some things in that mode are BS).

Just now, CelicaLucina said:

@Alastor15243 I mean with all the social elements. Does the game give you a tutorial on them?

Sort of, but it leaves you in the dark about the time-sensitive consequences of some of them. But I'd be spoiling a story I seem to be in the minority for disliking if I told you more, so I'd just jump in and enjoy.

Try not to have a weapon break on enemy phase if you can help it - you could get away with it in prior games because the game automatically replaced a broken weapon with a usable one, but that's not the case here. Instead, you are still equipped with the broken weapon, which has a weight of 20, which will pretty much guarantee you get doubled.

Magic is limited in how many times you can use it per map. Also, healers should invest in Reason until they get their first attack spell -  Nosferatu sucks really bad (it's really heavy for a beginning spell, and it only has 1 might); as a result, early on, I often leave my healers equipped with weapons unless they need to attack.

Here are some tips:

-Plan out your classes in advance. You don't have to rigidly stick to your plan at all times, but if you have a general idea of what class you want a character to end up in you can work on the needed proficiencies early to avoid hitting a roadblock.

-Keep some training weapons around. While they have low might, they can be very useful to guarantee a double attack, avoid one from an enemy, or provide a good hitrate.

-Don't overload all of your units with different weapon types. To really excel with a weapon, you'll need to equip a proficiency ability that provides additional hit rate, avoid and crit avoid. These take up one of your five ability slots which you might want for something else. Instead, I find that most units are fine with one or two weapon types.

-Both fishing and gardening don't cost activity points, but raise your Professor Level.

Hope these are useful. 🙂 Feel free to ask questions, and have fun with the game!

Edited by Elephantus

I will say - don't recruit everyone. it can impact some of the more heart-tugging moments in the game. I would say maybe 1-2 people per class. there are some who go together to access other paralogues. 

I would get out the class paths (or even more importantly the final skills) of what you want to do. (I've played six times and i still forget what specifically i want to do so 😉 )

Don't really worry about like S+ ranking things on the get go. just do whatever you need to do (BUT i would suggest once you have it unlocked give everyone a battlion and raise their authority). 

5 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Sort of, but it leaves you in the dark about the time-sensitive consequences of some of them. But I'd be spoiling a story I seem to be in the minority for disliking if I told you more, so I'd just jump in and enjoy.

Hey, I'm not alone! I thought I was the only one who disliked the story. 

19 minutes ago, Fire Brand said:

Hey, I'm not alone! I thought I was the only one who disliked the story. 

I've seen worse FE stories (kind of mandatory when you've played the NES games), but I've definitely seen better ones. I might have had more patience for it if it didn't so drastically overstay its welcome and didn't depend so much on optional content to make any sense at all. But that's all I'll say on the matter, this is hardly the thread for that.

15 minutes ago, CelicaLucina said:

@Alastor15243 I'm actually really enjoying the story so far and it makes sense to me. Is a different route more confusing or something?

The stuff I didn't like, apart from the general quality of the writing, is a spoiler for the most part. I won't ruin your fun to explain why I didn't have any.

2 hours ago, kremelover said:

If a unit's attack speed is greater than another's by 4 or more, then they will attack twice.   In previous games it was based on speed, but now it is calculated based on AS (attack speed).  

Wasn't it based on Attack Speed in most games? The only exceptions were Awakening, New Mystery, and Fates, and the latter had weapons that could either make it easier or harder to double attack. Speaking of which, this time the AS formula is AS = Speed - (Weapon weight - Strength/5).

Edited by Shadow Mir

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

Wasn't it based on Attack Speed in most games? The only exceptions were Awakening, New Mystery, and Fates, and the latter had weapons that could either make it easier or harder to double attack. Speaking of which, this time the AS formula is AS = Speed - (Weapon weight - Strength/5).

And to be clear, if (weapon weight - strength/5) is negative, it's treated as zero. You don't get an AS bonus from wielding a weapon lighter than what your strength lets you ignore.

I thought of some more tips!  The big monsters are stunned and drop repair materials when all their yellow squares are broken.  You can break the squares quicker by dealing effective damage (Ex: Using seraphim, combat arts, or like a blessed weapon) 

- Make good use of faculty training to get your skills up

- Use meals to get the students you want to train motivated before you teach them, and you can net easy support points this way

- You can plant flowers and dump them onto a character you want to recruit, too, to get them up to B support - there's a slight chance they'll ask to join your class or you can just try to ask them. I find this preferable to inviting them to join you on missions, tbh.

- That said, some support levels are timelocked and you can't access them until you reach a certain point in the game

- Make sure you choose a student to participate in the White Heron cup in month 12.

- You said you're doing Crimson Flower? If so, make sure to support Edelgard and talk to her in month 2 (after the new year), it gives you an important decision. 

- Talk to other students and faculty often, and check the "Recruit" option when it comes up. You can get powerful new allies this way.

- Make sure you're checking the menu for support conversations among your units, as they provide characterization and in-game boosts.

6 hours ago, Edelgardian said:

@Shanty Pete's 1st Mate When is Ededgard's B support? I got up to the point where I opposed the church last night but can't continue until later as I have college. Which supports do I need to do before the timeskip?

You need to do C and C+. If you look in the Support menu, you'll notice two little arrows above the C support. This means that they're split, and there will be two conversations for one tier. You need to do both, AND talk to Edelgard in the monastery before the battle in the Holy Tomb.

1 hour ago, Edelgardian said:

@Elephantus I've already sided with Edelgard after the Holy Tomb. I was just wondering if the B support is post timeskip.

Oooh, I'm sorry, must have misunderstood. I got the B support right after the Holy Tomb battle, so maybe you'll need to support her a bit more in order to reach it. Supports that you've unlocked but can't access yet will be marked with a light blue colour, in case that helps.

Edited by Elephantus