Let's Play Fire Emblem Awakening on Lunatic without using pairup to attack or defend

Eltosian Kadath

I must admit, I barely remember Awakening. I played through only once on Hard Classic back in the day and at this point I felt like I needed a bit of a refresher. Now I wanted to see how Lunatic was like, and similar to my Lunatic Conquest I was curious how it would play without using the combat effects of pairup, but knowing how integral they tried to make that mechanic in Awakening I was uncertain if this run will be entirely possible. I have seen forum rumors of someone on another forum claiming they beaten a Lunatic no-pairup run, and theories that it is possible, but neither of these were particularly promising, so I did wait until I unlocked the ability to summon teams from the battle box that could be battled to grind before just to test how possible this run will be before committing to an LP. I suppose it is about time to set down some ground rules:

1. Having a unit that is paired up engage in combat is a reset worthy offense.

2. Having a unit paired up that could have been targeted on enemy phase is a reset worthy defense

3. No paid DLC (as I do not have any)

I will also restrict the amount of off screen grinding I do based on reader feedback. Now I will still use pairup to increase my maneuverability on the map, so expect liberal use of the pairup, transfer, swap, and separate commands to give me a tactical edge. Also do be warned if things get dire enough, I may leave units dead on the field of battle, but I will try my best to keep everyone alive.

Now for reader convenience I will start by try to have updates separate into 3-4 spoiler tags, as I will be looking at the story and supports I get I will separate updates into supports (if applicable) opening story, chapter, and ending story section. I guess it is time to start

23DpfHeC8rdJfH9acJsjDS8_P2jZi0Ozksv6l9cq

Edited by Eltosian Kadath

Let's start with the ending this time (Opening Story Premonitions)

Spoiler

First let's create our save file

ztGw9ojvswrTTw7ho_2H2aw33KL0AdH67QbbO3lpoUhRJ8c6KyGZeunNqa7K3lHRb8muP_JDLAzRxfYi

and tactician.

_yAFm_6dTU3GhuxYabm7nu0s1HxfpgjM551yJO2PjGonHiGGgnVumkRVjBnKc8q-hdNycEdZtBeMhjah

I made her small with the stark white hair of one whose blood was altered to have the holy blood of Grima to become his vessel. I know I am mixing about three Fire Emblem game's canons with that statement, but the marking shown in Awakening and Echoes with their ties to magic weapons, the description of markings of those with Jugdral's holy blood, and the similarities between Three Houses crests and holy blood create an interesting link that I took inspiration from when making this character. I have always liked the hints of long survived violence that a scar or missing eye give. The birth date was when I roughly started the run. Speed boon seemed the obvious choice for this kind of run, and Luck bane made the most sense with me not wanting to commit to either physical or magic damage. Finally I named her Tiamat, the mother of monsters from ancient Babylonian myth.

0j9DeOqrby-r47sfXZ5aZi2W3UiaSIDMS6lZ_ViV

We start in media res with a cut scene

zg5Ppy-bKP_R11mlnD2_uLZ9YJINUA5-HG3KVLrXqHSdA5x-IBw03d06BjPpKevZ-YCMEJMsLReTiRMp

With Chrom and Tiamat trying to take down Validar

b67Uh6_ZbEBQf0R_xreK48l9Zk7DapjsA7DIoXIcCNzWcUU6hyZUm21uK5j3y6py7zFdntbTImLTAo_W

But Validar still has the upper hand, and he is remarkably smug about it.

WOJZBGPdm1dnlnEvqKhuSyDrvwjCmy7GdWwFSE2n

Already? For the opening line of text in the game that comes across as particularly silly. Then again it isn't the first game/story to start at the end only to moments into the scene jump back to X days earlier, or have it be a premonition (often in dream form), or start making time travel noises.

xpL42B1Ie6rOdO6GLrOPAz01X_Orxpy8GONrbge5
I do love the old dastard censorship

As their fate seems inescapable, (Battle Premonitions)

Spoiler

I start by having Chrom attack, as I vaguely remember this being impossible to lose due to Validar not acting on his turn.

q6Uf3rjGaehLweKRFTfd8GBfrA4-mwVwzvwFAc8za2V3A12KeD-g_rF25cHEV9dtGXO26-IQvnoMxpOe

And Validar introduces us to a classical theme that this game wants to explore, the nature of Fate, and whether ones destiny can be avoided. From what I remember on my first play through, they start by committing heavily to the stance taken by Greek tragedies, going so far as to blatantly break the illusion of choice to reinforce the inescapable nature of Fate, but ultimately give up on the idea in the third arc to let everyone have a happy ending.

But then I realize it actually is possible to die in the premonition

Lt_20aQpQT7qinEXZ3kRnNgD5nL1RvrqwoBKcCLg

Curiosity got the better of me, and I was rewarded

UGmRSl0RZu1U3T9n6sGIMB72qZ5N29YobteyiXP6DGTyW8KQE0PujEjWo_TeoSwIlX2sZ6OwVjgokLwN

With Validar reinforcing this theme even further

l_BcPazcaFPBF4WqHjDnW6b2kI-PV4CfD4LdSgMZ

and a game over... Honestly didn't expect them to let that happen before even the prologue. The unique death quote for Tiamat on the other hand

l87VYiaVzjGHWAOGc7-qUcRh0zy5C7776x3101fR6pw7RBYPWNKevBIZBN5AEG0zzEQ6Dax2ag551j4q

is rather boring and wasn't worth seeing. Now back to our regularly scheduled LP.

Tiamat follows up Chroms attack with one of her own

kuQfkvCAPNND7QF4cQwo5YO71S12SnrF8pif1R4Q

and

Y5yuy0aCS5kdHjkDMW9pMhaX3SBCSmALWnRhrSfj

With the Chrom dual strike that leads to

OlArdI4P3oklNiggvPLsf-Q3KOCiVOQ9eGQABSCl

a 2 turn clear.

Inexorably leading to tragedy (Ending Story Premonitions)

Spoiler

Falling to the dual strike of Tiamat and Chrom, all three return to cutscene land

4De8t1m96Y6dVD5znkA-1HVjqT1hTImQ8U4qzYDw

With Validar firing one final strike that Tiamat

nzkgpp-YSVs6RrTPAa9d-e8NNLBBoOuZn4YBcuY1

pushes Chrom out of the way of

ts5xfCiU2Lg8LvfxRty7SnzkSNHhdPHvzM2TeRnc

Which lets Validar's magic take control, leading

53ep7XAsLWxRds4FyUBao449-KeBjx8KUDeepMcexhlO1HiWWNyX3xDdfGQwsGuaws77EiiwKWIT-ERO

To Chrom's death, at the player's hand (through Tiamat's first person perspective). Despite my insistence on differentiating between Tiamat and player, the game makes it clear in a few ways that you are supposed to be the avatar, and the first person perspective in the cut scenes is the first of sign of that.

DL5Pm1FQa3LtJTWdRHneLWhTHSCpCYhwr0Q3ImDi

The End. See you next time for the actual prologue...

2 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

UGmRSl0RZu1U3T9n6sGIMB72qZ5N29YobteyiXP6DGTyW8KQE0PujEjWo_TeoSwIlX2sZ6OwVjgokLwN

With Validar reinforcing this theme even further

It certainly isn't..... fated. 😛

Y5yuy0aCS5kdHjkDMW9pMhaX3SBCSmALWnRhrSfj

With the Chrom dual strike that leads to

This confirms you're not bothering with trying to avoid Dual strikes entirely. 😛

To Chrom's death, at the player's hand (through Tiamat's first person perspective). Despite my insistence on differentiating between Tiamat and player, the game makes it clear in a few ways that you are supposed to be the avatar, and the first person perspective in the cut scenes is the first of sign of that.

Much as I do think Robin is the most fitting for that, I just kind of wish IS didn't feel like they had to do this as part of their approach.

The consequential stuff from that (the pandering, the dissonance if you don't match up with this avatar, the lack of choice beyond in combat kind of limiting the full potential of an avatar character) just does not help in my opinion.

3 hours ago, Dayni said:

This confirms you're not bothering with trying to avoid Dual strikes entirely. 😛

With how many non-Fredrick units have to gang up on some of the enemies in Lunatic, finding the space to avoid Dual Strikes would be difficult in and of itself. Plus how would I gain any support points without putting units in range of dual striking, and the +10% accuracy makes things less obnoxious.

3 hours ago, Dayni said:

Much as I do think Robin is the most fitting for that, I just kind of wish IS didn't feel like they had to do this as part of their approach.

The consequential stuff from that (the pandering, the dissonance if you don't match up with this avatar, the lack of choice beyond in combat kind of limiting the full potential of an avatar character) just does not help in my opinion.

While I agree, I do feel the need to play devil's advocate to point out a few advantages from a developer perceptive towards doing this. First it lets them get away with having cut scenes be from that first person perspective, which lets the player customize the avatar without them having to put lots of time and resources into showing those custom options in the higher fidelity cutscenes; second this role is perfect as an audience surrogate to get the player acquainted with basic in world information that needs to be known; finally it makes it easier to integrate teaching game mechanics within the story.

Spoiler

7JUwP1DTFpXGWKZH2UFdwn5OjUJnHwHpM36mGcxE

Once again we start in the middle of a cutscene, with

TMkSTQac6wy4L3muVlbPq3JNp0793OA719uQMNt4

some worried but friendly faces looking down at us

tok5XUBJLEshnAqgikZwrUmBps3qRlYYwQNo6Ift

and with a look like that we must be as adorable as a puppy. As Chrom helps Tiamat to her feet

3LfK4un80hKBhtSFelV2dZ9PkApQpg41B3qCu_tO

we get an ominous view of Grima's brand clearly on her hand.

F9psxj2yMuRXUriNOOW0WnNmEsrEzn9w-RdS2xD_

While Tiamat remembers both her manners and Chrom's name

rR5Wek92_L2_8mY5LbEu8gqp3808djk39SHCzvUD

...or not

KkcqtS2KlHZC-_elg3NJ5C-pW5gfktIoorWFN3nM

Sigh. This is an overused cliche means of getting an audience surrogate that needs obvious information everyone in universe should know explained to them so the audience can learn this basic info.

3VS0inPjEBq1Bn6jOqau9R0tyIlf01u1MtK7TjiU

Also lazy writing, hackneyed, and

pEcNYOQko9WCajwStIkux9mEymEh3Pvi5Rx39Yrq

...thank you Fredrick. Once again the hired help is the only character with common sense.

Q0iamJAWRM7-i6gE9Uq1FbAbNgKqSeQaegGn-C9q

Not usually a fan of this kinda lamp shading, but

mQRR_9bOopnPQHAeNDTalCvI3zzZCm8thm_4VvBB

with Chrom displaying all the naivete of Corrin here, its nice to see Fredrick fulfilling the same role in story that he does in gameplay (at least in Lunatic); keeping the rest of the crew safe despite their failings.

sik8waq--4CJLg93LUgNo_2OCxuyQRvBrpQKrthE

So we are heading into town

5eDH5AQanRGFsD1_4ja6ijpJa1SRqT1goVc0LcUl

Don't be silly Tiamat, this game is about Fate, not choice.

cEmIw4VO_JY6JAgqzQ0c0xd8stpCPPuyz3Ou_COyIF7-A6UP33pFoE0iY4QViEJEv3MjVNdDCY9Hyghk

So the answer is yes you will be a prisoner.

ffB6fKMXEDtZqYkjgnWBI1SM-_jMUClhp9eln7MWgh4c_Y5v9ji053SdHz1SAk-zHWrvhAbFf0XR83Hl

All right Freddy is growing on me. First playthrough I dropped him like a rock, but that doesn't look like a possibility on this run.

0feXzRmsFWwi1IwveThh7blRfCafnEuyAXIEYmey

I had to look up Halidom, apparently it is an archaic word for lands held by a religious foundation. So I guess the exalt is basically the pope of some Naga/Exalt based faith.

QG54mwHkdSp3bnvwtc7VFPxdM05Sy_fxF46_KARwMM_ZlZaVZx-AWEQRjo_MPcqLOngGITeQeRkpGRru

Sorry Lissa, miracle is the only way you can even pretend to take a hit, and it makes you the most delicate of characters in a difficulty where every non Freddy unit is as delicate as a flower.

Sv8tttvwW8xMk2i6JhnX71RB8vSZXY7Pbr3d32rW

At first I was going to joke about them calling their citizens sheep, but with the added context of what Halidom means I  am starting to get some rather Christian overtones from the presumably Naga/Exalt based faith of Ylisse.

fN1cozIgv08dTDKRvhtFYogMLY_Dk2z-JxpMsz7t

The snark coming from Freddles continues to amuse me. They do a good job of making the Shepherds feel like friends with all these little jokes and gentle ribbings.

SJymjmug8p-GJbHCoMT-pJnS-lRY_GIOwz3nhFQrliLCDpTasGEydeHOj6w7NFM1eJqLv6k4ZKFJQ5dx

Ok only remembering her name now is very silly. She should remember it from that premonition we played through earlier, but I guess that is not canon to the story now.

NgJeShCwmbsCYivKGSX7kHhWaKbJLMf3Dqo4tp83

Based on Babylonian mythology, so yes it is foreign for Ylisse. In retrospect perhaps I should have chosen an Egyptian inspired name, as I vaguely remember being Plegian, and from equally vague memories I seem to remember Plegia have some Egyptian inspiration.

PMlHDvgByJJLA394S6qmTaGW5sutUnNUlqpwiYBa

When we get to the village we find it in flames. Or at least smouldering.

mdclke-AoE7nDbqeXDYZuh65iIXoD55WE_dpy88s

Well with massively overused cliches like amnesia in the plot, why would I expect anything other than the most cliche early map option, bandits.

The Shepards are heading into battle to defend the town, and as Freddles worries over their captive, Chrom

WDLLVDEkmrQj-_bg3ezXqn87hd9BG_CaiBG2YiP6

gets to show off this great line.

SAuuBLXtAtPUl1qSKMA3FGmXdci1kBw2rpLphHGp

Nice to see a simple and believable motivation from our starting bandits.

73RnJsSWplywCw33cIClj_71LUibArRlRw9jKyOU

Chrom's first meeting with the maiden. I doubt they will end up marrying, but it nice to see them lay the groundwork for their possible relationship with him saving her, and her town from the opening bandits.

_gmt1StRgGrzoJ2SAurDd_-pAMeX83sdulC1-sn_

Did Chrom just promise this will be the only bandit map? Somehow I doubt that, but we will see...

Ej-9TuWGZWrwR2jFDWEIS3i99M4aKDMNNl9VTN4B

Tiamat ends up joining the fight despite Freddle's misgivings, speaking of which.

Spoiler

-AxA55nceYxx7sSLBV4E-qOl72IXKhhs9Gruzkrl

Thanks flowey for explaining permadeath to me. So I start looking through my units and end up triggering

1VwH7pbhpbDuKdasy9jfWpsjwX14NnDXRjA4V70aoabombQ33m8V6QRdrmQGWY_15QHxGY-UTLaDqeuU

This is rather amusing dialogue. It does make me wonder about the dangers of magical mishaps. After looking at my units stats...and the godlike stats of the enemy I need to face an unfortunate fact that it took me a few retries to truly internalize. Fredrick is the ONLY character that can take 2 hits. Welp lets start this game of Fredrick emblem then

m9R29cj-a7wc7KLZptwKlFZ7p6QGzpfRsjlIssmr

First Fredrick kill of the playthrough.

F_HTnHBVrksgi-HXHPEkVQD5cvh5z-1YZkNbq50w
Lissa explains healing to us. I actually do legitimately like how they are integrating the explaining of the game's mechanics with the story.

I end up letting Chrom draw in one of the enemies to get him some chip xp, and end turn one

nxD5pQQinUzKIC_UNKJRm-tpfqtBSFozExVeXM2Ustmb1tOl4DWq4K8q12nsijympPAsriimPURVBh32

Turn 2 Chrom pickup a kill on one Freddles crippled with the Rapier for the extra accuracy, and Freddles finishes the one he mildly injured as well

sVVV8jZG7voLp5uZL2X8DjTicPxPI1I8MATBZ55XPyOfrEnCGQire0YT5GXgnipFWcog3qILRXYWpiLQ

Tiamat finishes off the other injured one from range (and drawing in the mage at the same time), and Lissa heals up her brother.

ZtKTR4dDtV_hyDZI9fXlGY9an5hopVdkoI7n__Z0

Leading to the start of turn 3

bqEzUoLhjZYRutySapbZhgKIME97VRlOErfKrQiF

From here we-

YX9XUclfIuRh05Ym9QvXWWN2lfEWSwvpoVxh597E

Oh another dialogue

unfw-JmXATPWPwwAyaTaRJxrVgW-TifnIKIPOtn-slk0vJtG7DmsYonWQA560UVgGCVZwMB7WVUBKWVL

This is reminding me a lot of a scene from Erf world, although less blatantly meta.

GuD7B-bpyl4qFStsyiMwKaFdd6jsiQPVm3IdNrHNpGmCmYR9mgQDavK0JWBVP1f00dMqWs-X1x5siu_c

I really do like how they are trying to explain in universe why you can look at the stats and equipment of enemies all across the battle field. I know a lot of people like a separation between mechanics and story, but when the mechanics fit into the world I think it makes for a better experience.

Back to the gameplay Chrom continues to chip at the mage Tiamat injured enemy phase

qV8Jiy6jR03oO5MdNFL7SI2a2eqwuJ5hiTZ-XHDi

and after healing Tiamat

bpxap6cBzJiUCtc_8GcS9z4jbEPl--Vr53q7AFKt

to ensure she can live a miss. She finishes the mage off.

S_4_jXy9qQg6eYNOaYDueIjn5Th7I7gyuiEDxn_X

With the rest of the enemies simple waiting for our approach I think I will heal up everyone, so I will jump back in when-

MDPU3ZKmBYToDuo2xnPI0sUevlzGTFlH0dC01ct2

...or I get interrupted by another tutorial.

uNuL-lYxrHME4ZzUQjyE0Wpip8-m3bjcE29B-5RP4hK1hTo5OFktVlSdbUKJdbUyDfsduH8bZUtJ4Jic

So they are introducing the in battle bonuses, and possible dual strike that come with fighting adjacent, a mechanic I have used basically every turn so far. Having tutorials on Lunatic does come across as a bit intrusive, as you wont survive without already having some idea for how this works.

Now I also grab the first shiny space

QyTwDtjKoKfFYQLxudwPAgH4ZZkeIiSa1sK36pSn

with Tiamat

SeDZRdv_OIIdkg-jRxqp0rez96H3k15M0PcdRWRX
netting me a rift door. Depending on how dire things are looking by the time I get access to the shop this may be a Naga-send that lets me cheese my way into getting something vital from the merchants.

Lissa also levels while everyone gets healed

kC0hr0h1FKM5HpRBCQ1Qk8No56mgeMDKso7FLYkd

For the first level up of the LP that is an ominously bad one.

Now lets jump to when we aggro the rest of the enemies. Freddles is drawing in one of the swordsman to an enemy phase death with the silver lance, but Tiamat passed the bronze sword along to give him another option to attack, and help that lance go the distance.

V9A3Xx1nnAxpbg0yj6gO_HEsP4vM5rTM8WD6g_lK

And that aggros all of them but the boss. So Freddles starts by deleting the only ranged threat

a2FNEi5n8jZypMErSCBNF3fSEEPIPPLsJk9CwrWu

And Tiamat chips at a swords man

3HJBQ9KxJQVPlUfehc0lTGAGDTI82Cz2ewIXvKPu

but gets the dual strike kill for a level instead.

efzXocE2g4DsqzBLkSTuVEvm2J7WCESzOl4XenV9
sorry about how blurry that one came out. The original plan was to have Chrom go to the same space as he goes to without attacking and chip that same unit on enemy phase, but the dual strike kill makes thing go a bit faster.

vPHxsyquubUfbK6dw4wyhhgsHoNWk-ch8LlzibXF

We are getting close to end here as after enemy phase we have one enemy left and the boss

jMTopTcFShEn_sQTEIqaOZV3QZHZF0PnpuY5QUnl

Tiamat start to chip

8a4S01EDGN8XF25ADRCzOr-Cl_zr9oJfEfaDRCZY

but gets

GvyP7CyJGtHBUG6ZCmmSPbZoLnob6efJU5unVTBn

the Chrom dual strike to turn what should have been his kill into an assist. This leaves

9AHkhk-CkXafqLKEwDvIsOpo1ws5Vw3hTnqU7UC_

only the boss, so I will jump to

xDmSMjcrKwLOcpGreSRZ0M-S2DooD_p_Ve1XkYEf

Chrom getting

dDcbRIc1FZdeVV5ETuyrkTaRSdfjNf2l2ZpnHoVn

Now onto dealing with the boss, I let Freddles counter him enemy phase with that Bronze Sword.

Azqm-APs8_KCq18kCCONWHf9eddnDsPgBtx-P6bl

And the boss jokes about the Shepard being sheep

UvwtbSLnZsvc-w4LGp5LQ7yBYzWoLpgJ64u3Dr1c

while fighting the only member that isn't.

ctW7zO0g62fa-mO63MeNOlx3PKcaCoYGckaPmBGz

Fredrick chips him down player phase as well. Lissa levels healing the damage Fredrick takes

EPGDkERRrcckWgRP7iBzCnNt9snWWqr5lTVx4pPb

better than last time but not by much.

Then I use the Rapier and get Tiamat in position to get Chrom the highest accuracy he can

FpXgCzpw9sRXvpcRg5_qtKtF10-RoIfsyLge-xYi

for the boss kill

zdxzlQ8gNxA7nsMZv5Lhu1a0HZjMHlHk0CXUSfyq

...That is a terrible death quote. Chrom does get

zhVSp8p9wT_SQPuEYUZYfZhz4eLd6U-LH9xV4sv4

a nice level.

The prologue wasn't so bad, but the stat difference between my units and the enemy units is a bit overwhelming.

Spoiler

HTg2uTHy9d357pIkw4EXE5Id_idmKrj6hIBUHeR9

That it is.

IfVH2vsSj4443XhYn9H81MRs_mQGqapE5770HcLT

Take 2 hits in a turn. Honestly this praise for Tiamat's skills feels especially unwarranted at this stage on Lunatic.

dXgzt0KI2UfpW6HbGmbGWetIoBxuZqn2ahasRGmW

Fredrick is as wary as ever, but

MpFMJnFxRgXtiomLNitvn5vHW82GGGW27u8S2IO7

Chrom is as trusting as Corrin, I mean for all he know Tiamat could be the vessel for some monstrous dragon, or an enemy from Plegia.

S0uF2_9NpCGBZNl36Tak43rEPxvxQoqMEZVj-xyi

I'm with you Fredrick, these lordlings should try to be more cautious, but

TZ96Uc-mLb-fnMjTQRNtfWmdfEal_62B9Wo4uNPS

Chrom just lets Tiamat join them

uLWqoblv1dyCC2FO9kZCuqVzmucd_SA9dfjfgEVf

Finally the plot starts to thicken, as Fredrick hints the bandit we fought might not have been bandits at all but-

7wzzmWKxmQhd5Tve1t1e_DlocWllFHlCG_clHEZh
Oh right they still need to explain what Plegia is

I0nEVJ7BktMPKA2neMrrbDpESIdG9kQ9CT88452pIZLuPNDDmC_Z_NcUx7QggZFWpTPCbvfPiGqKZ8UR
So Fredrick thinks the band was sent to antagonize Ylisse, and that would be in line with what I remember about Plegia's mad king. On the other hand we may be in a Thracia scenario here where the difficulties in Plegia have simply driven more and more people to desperate acts of brigandry to survive, and Ylisse habitually uses that as an excuse to wage war on Plegia, forcing more people towards that desperation in Plegia, which further "justifies" the Ylissian's extreme actions.

vHAmgPXTRB154fyYHA2um7Myo6N77amB2pPURrk1

The villagers are all ready to celebrate our heroes victory, but

nDWhfVujmj4Vv2ysID9V4MpL5o0xQrWTbZGExb12

that killjoy Fredrick politely and humbly

LHGcCxuqiYfd0qgYVX-anhtFEPfCzXMy1rWTn28M

turns them down, ensuring that maiden wont meet Chrom today

HTLCrqkX3SZ95GrvDxGPHdIbX_1ifMBb8_o5nwdY

much to Lissa's dismay.

DZRrdsdvprlL4tba9vI4UDV0K13u4s2pY773lELc

And Fredrick takes the opportunity to poke fun at her

nooeZqJEUodewdxZVptryrUQGz98wedDBmKvz3ie

for her previous words

LrjK_-YRkdoLuPRnkzhr-CibDI-P6vFTaf4Wg-Qx

You know he's-

QNoOjXxJFGrUZMdxRVDcSNbS_TXYjk7o8g94Bjmd

Join us next time when things start getting...difficult.

Sorry about forgetting the labels for each section, by the time I noticed the no edit glitch had already hit.

When every disaster on the first page of Google strikes...(Opening Story Chapter 1)

Spoiler

bzh0WX-tbTyqLSqg7DAbE3TO-Qa87bM05tslqrUR

Unwelcome indeed. For once we start away from cutscene land the night after the brigand fight with

KEQVKLKFZEuCCraT_PBYe-stJvXMv1DBvaB0RBgs
Lissa complaining about insects.

935Q9S8bxNJhSJC-6QFLiqywQ0082IChGJioQJTv

Oh Naga that is disgusting.

hTOTCeiv795PvBN-YyXFHoi2DWprrNdA3OMyZdur

Oh don't you pull that building character Cr-

C7qoMWiBUw_AY15QyxgskOjXqomQo4KtS3yOQNSB

You tell him Lissa. Well the game continues trying to sell the idea of camping outdoors as awful with

aN9nv3xVq0UqaUqB69pwGoE7zmECjHAIiyZ1zfB79-oBaYGV2tUHa2graaa8CnJ5furRBO-G3BC9_nvl
bear meat? As someone who has never had bear meat I have no idea if it is good or not and with such

cTQGMGzxy4qSc7DakZ6TCj18CFmjLyImiMibp9CN
varied

q9XQnz6Y5-_19sTCUclQ6NuSGKHloA93XxkqpBmK

responses

6BJkzYqN5CcUYvkWwMsSxdSD9pus45ovfoGt3gYz

I have even less of an idea.

AXfJLM_aNFk009yd9VJhC755UcYc6SJXQngh9hX1
...Fredrick is absolute terrible at lying apparently.

n7NGnfoommskP_NL-Tg8cFgsGEP2ZAsg9x3rrKiP

After dinner Chrom awakens as... They didn't properly put out their fire. This is some of the most basic fire safety that they need to follow when camping OUT IN THE WOODS. Remember the sage advise of Smokey the Bear "Only YOU can prevent forest fires"...wait bear meat? Fredrick you didn't...

lYVVET90M1P1xGWnO6rLVDtMAIHNrkShte4llzhr

Lissa joins her brother as he is worried

KQ7D9XX6W4cC_dw-FALl6SSb8QDcWyTXaDsnzcGU
To be fair when the forest gets quiet it is a sign of something large and dangerous (like a human) wandering around in the woods, but this is the middle of the night, when most bird aren't active.

271Gj8hFWvYb_ZYIllfi1c-oPCDwyGqSbtV6A95B

Then there is an earthquake

ppDIjgEQS5ehybpi4KXc_KRSkOoWEEW3F26E6Fx1

and Chrom warns his sister about

47RKT5AltcTM9vYqtEMAAjgzyTHNfOMVurMApiDd
The next cutscene.

JrWJ3xhBYlfTufnVfBClMUjM84MX4K95ryQO8Jzw

That sort of movement looks so unnatural to me simply due to the type of fault lines in my area. A bit of research shows this kinda movement might occur in a dip-slip fault line (like those around Japan), where as the faults local to me are strike-slip.

O8PN4juz5MrBG6lYQMFQ9h-WueR7IhqRqoXBHKA4

...That is Lava, which indicates a divergent boundary (so a "normal" dip-slip fault).

Mhcc4ojevo2iBiY-cxMcy7fe64hR4dJlH1PM5Svo

...and now the forest is on fire. As Chrom and Lissa try to outrun the flames this whole thing is getting ridiculous.

JhwLfJqNz3ft0Pc_tw0M-p5P_7mzxiMCZjnbLwvi

...and now there are meteors. I feel like someone just googled disasters and tried to combine them all into the same cutscene.

iugKUlIYH6T0U9v0mFw0Dw3L80FFCIDZnh-3jq3n

8GMpBXg7rBJZDVAAONScJnhmh8ZxBtbmcuokEorm

rPMHTva7yQNX3kcWHxruuy8K1MetiBAs2PH8zg2v

eQga7MbvxCMGJ93j9iSSRpwqFwLNZ0svqwsMrhni

And now there are Zombies. They were real thorough with that google search.

Zma5zo1nVBoEA2qnTcc_X44ZDwQNO9Tss-LKNzRqg3_OaPZqorf7qUTsYENxIUp2huOJh3gY4jo1Bl_u

Sorry these action shot came out so poor. Chrom clashes with the first of the risen.

DsNZTuGcEHBEh4ERUyKztmD3SVWK8euQtL4GowX7qgC3y-b-GBezhEM92NoHKSLQh5IuCRxIQ_b7kuq8

But Chrom only blocks one of them, and Lissa is doomed

vdx7EBtZiUIgemahoeH19Q2HKQR1mQ4kWZHnPDQ9

But then from that same sky portal

Wn6zM3iuR0S3LulkVMj2sO3Rg9Qv6MQ9rhngIRY6LozsV7CQHjRu01FTsRDxNC9rUo_JeXNw-_q2Qywt

Lissa gets saved by

EgAG83zM9dKZSqV3kMpmEg6Q_x1eLBEzM2skh5Gt
a masked hero, and together with Chrom

sGB0IxX944YAS28O26VgnJMO1pL2HJ1gIxVoxG6V

defies my experience of Lunatic mode by managing to deal with one enemy only using 2 non-Fredrick units.

It would take a Miracle to save us (Battle Chapter 1)

Spoiler

PlBQE9qlxicKV-crJ7nxaZpnXTPYlpacaILrDhtj

Fred bear shows up too late, but thankfully the power of cutscenes kept everyone safe.

Bo8M5FGW_XSKlzsZ6I77hbftYVGB8C3ds3KzKlfN

That is a good question. This is a fantasy universe, and monstrous creatures like the Risen wouldn't be unheard of. Plus the monsters of Valentia (and the Risen in the Thebes labyrinth) are similar creatures in universe.

yWWHdO2q2gYKGlvscuHWHKzsqAClX1XPs3VMKtzi

Lissa has a surprisingly accurate and sobering realization of her frailty.

GHYAyUKMuOej22iG8gt00C3CjZiUqKLp7ZbcDSO3

Unfortunately our masked hero is no help in this map.

baQNhyUeVMgFZBVoBqk8zgDw5rouZxlDn4JK2NcO

More unfortunately this is the real starting position of the troops (and we have yet to unlock the prep screens...sigh)

aswEFMD58D8PuKoM50W_PMp_lDwRoQg2x_HZ9IDb

Maybe on other modes/challenge runs (or if we had the prep screen) those forts might see some use, but alas Fredrick can't reach one first turn without risking the lives of other units, and the hammer bro will drive him away from it by time he can reach it. It took a lot of tries to reach victory on this map. The end of first turn I drive as many into hurting themselves on Fredrick, while everyone else flees in terror of these monstrosities. The speed on those sword wielders is particularly dangerous.

JyO42Ne81z7kn7HvHxmo6S4_bfMjfVY6zaDFPwTs

Then we meet Sully

dEVQU1wIGWu38-gTinewyzTJE3MRLhnV79iPXdZ4
She has enough speed to avoid being one rounded by some of the enemies, which  makes her usable

7NDhNm19V7KNgqTLG28UQ87i1bsnCilPMdljWwqL

spoiler alert it is going to be the sword monster.

sgwFSrJmGnhGgHkMy2KNN0Iqj-H5maiWxDM_CdmI

I see I'm not the only one using cutoff dialogue to censor-

rfffIxXE3LKGYoHFuuc31wFtiLwb0V-U9OiNKB3b

RYbr4eUPCeJKeru3y6ewleag6yN8RW5zTmKfQ_zB

Uh... I am getting some weird slight masochism (or some kinda fetish) vibes from being left behind in that "sweet dust".

l-MWt-3TN41bCTDIVBJXcMdE2-D5ud4AurVTOyTk

good answer/question

fUYAPRTQNgA4mRGKnG_eiiFkRF37JdZI0PdaVoGO

Ok that is sounds like the kinda desperation that makes people think basic human courtesy is flirting.
5DU7vHEkF1HyHmyw2z-9D_y3Y5X0lPeGcWhMY-St

GO5XRYVz0WIN0g4WjpOX28ZOP9w2kwC9IYh5gugY

All right I like the word play of this Arch Duke (or at least I vaguely remember that being the joke).

5XreNu0MkjN-tTRH9BdNG44QP6CTCsF_FSfleHJK

Beautifully shut down by Sully, he ends up desperately begging for her name, and

-sNPeUEVthqpZHHHa9W33jVsX6ixAfE9mGwavGB3

expertly emphasizes how little anything about her matters to his flirtations. The name is so fitting as that the "stark beauty" would be sullied by her uncouth personality. That isn't to say Sully isn't appealing just that Virion is blatantly ignoring the person in front of him for the person he imagines.

2sg5idmRyRE4BavFZv5tUSA2D6oVYxR-_9SaUMuU

Naga this man is a moron with regards to women.

7hftMTqb8LX9aLaEKfqSF6eYb_y8tzmYRyTwQ2YR

Watch out Sully he might actually...

beOXpyaUzas3fDbRf9C5SF1muYbSykcmV4IapfqL

like that

vtIHXuGuNAG9ontcGnyurgGRAb5HIDy1eSsTGsD-

oh Naga why...

j1S5dQpV042bKBXkMGatpZ0r1CCDRGluM2HlfqVy

1wQEKE7v8zGd8hmbJ5-YQHW6VlJA1C6TMy5xvP3p

Sorry, I just can't believe you are going along with this.

YygxNHTDHEDyMB15Ni9LRG2FTRMYIF5XJk1TXja6

Always the showman I see

v-u6qpuprIBFf1z8D8K7kZA8dnwsdewU_D809Mk3

I do like how they have put a lot of effort into giving him a clear and distinct style of speech that reinforces his character, that of a fop.

lOgdBBRNGpLgSdw2KL10H4RXE-pxVuTNb1XqFsJe

and the way they use his distinct wordplay to explain game mechanics does amuse me. Now Virion is slow enough that everything kills him, as an archer he can contribute plenty by hitting the mostly melee enemies from range. Once enemies start getting 1-2 range he might start to drop off in usefulness, but so far he does well.

Back with the gameplay I pull Fred bear back onto the shiny space

nElhoXo8g9y6JmoR-IbXeEDIkMGPj8Z3m4wn8C56

for some extra

s-FvkzW0jwXXu89Mq6GUgwTmhjTU7oWr_3snnzri

Ending with Sully drawing the injured swordsman to his death, while Fred bear draws two again.

HurPQqI6A6L3f6xvapj1e7hs6Qx_z-zQN_u5W2QE

Fredrick levels enemy phase

tD6rnqeVyKypaKzHQXBIRXEgHOb4aBpHMzCIQA0R

and is great, although more speed would be appreciated.

Now Sully killed the swordsman, but drew enough enemies in her direction that Virion (who stayed next to her for that +10 hit) needs to pairup

KJ9vASTklh2UPzb-rOLY3z_OyI7FS8ZNvL6x7opA

to get dropped out of range by Sully. Now Chrom moved a bit away to kill the injured brigand on enemy phase, and draw the bow attack  a bit away from the group (the woods and WTA gives him just enough bulk to live this on 1)

Ulg7eGNHMrRYQHVpIJ5xZXoLhdBafnVbET_2ek3g

Then the crippled Chrom uses Tiamat to escape

mYxZuoyByvBnbGa1tmC4IIIb8JUM9IFW8adD7EKi

While Fredrick charges south to buy us some breathing room.

JsvZFSiG3LR1dFh2RRevHo43ZXkPDC_UtipFi-kQ

And Tiamat arranges an enemy phase kill for herself while dropping off Chrom

3s16jpONq4_GJ6mUS6rEcSUloR1WaaOKY6B7MpSi

Leading to the end of turn.

b8pLjfZJLM_FBKHDchJwR7NQltuSNsPIwqvnEQ1-

And Tiamat kills the enemy swordie on player phase for a level

CtEZW2n9WFBbqfsE6dcLK3mNUYBGtKUJ2MCggvK3

and misses both speed and magic. Now pairup and separate let me escape the enemies for another turn with the scrub squad

iomkSVlydM3JM5WpmeQE0KrCT2ui6oj1a-kUXRz4

Next turn I try using the same kinda strats

-34BuxK_I1_S3JyZoyKbaPhEDVk71GjPX-Dn6hD4

to pull back, and heal Chrom

Y1ZucfJQAt2SUMxxM2kIAlZlfAc8Lje_3p-IF9ET

but while I try to setup some enemy phase chip on the archer with Tiamat, I find that the difficulty of telling which tiles are forest tiles on this map

CclrqfQ0Q6Sqi3UIa_PECX-u1To7MS4efzjmA5BB

have left me in the unfortunate position of having to rely on Miracle. I wish they hadn't let their artistic style hamper gameplay, as it would have been possible to use pairup and seperate to escape this situation if I could tell from the map which spaces where forest tiles and which weren't. I guess I will have to get into the habit of temporarily removing my ability to see unit stats from time to time to determine the actual forest spaces, which while inconvenient can be done.

7xXQtZFT6pCKZ5aP9AfoenGFGSEaD9MiUD1aChew

By the ever merciful bounty of Mother Mila, Miracle saves Lissa, and Fredrick one shots the hammer monster before it can one shot him. I then heal up Sully, as the only unit the boss can one shot is Lissa, so I am making my stand here this turn. Sully and Chrom chip the archer, and

sperUQxeId648Y7JJ97VsIhTY_b4E4TkKbS1unM4

The achest of archers proves his worth.

Fl5TI5c5JH_iDRAprIeCr6gRagFxKdwRdRx08_3m

Thanks to healing

-w4D4toqLV2PBaPtauzdTQ6t0coK3RZdoVz1nqrC

Sully takes the boss hit.

Then I pull back to get Fredrick

UfKNzv69lKHZUfdkuLnp6liMD23mxXmWqdOorfhB

even more

MhHbhrvaXOX-pSjNUYSisL8NwGYCXsDKOMuul5el

Lissa heals him up

_fHggjZMS4_3dzuPKV6w0KEBIiQ2QOTJeiU4t4p7

for

yxUqG4yZrNrHcy_dN5RkfFeW9ospXFwL3vRfx5sc

an alright level.

9zFMuvVo-vlZeTcvV02zO5Ljs805DXRWFxkB0EVl

Chrom can take the hit, and

Y4_wkBt0IO7iJECpvwTGNbEkVu4k0OHGLAoOJAWr

after some Fredrick chip, and Tiamat enemy phase chip

vdjK11l-vQ213RUH-QrD9VNiIP7umI765Xtu-crM

and more Fredrick chip

6zLRHj3uPwIUnJUt4ApvriyCLDn9kph2HN2HtRDz

and some safety heal in case Chrom misses, and Tiamat has to finish the job

9P-vGpXQfh4wIkWM_wWs455IOLxvoJZZQoiimBZx
but Chrom

2pvSF29Z8z3qOHdf6nrdAd0N0ORs5D6x9-SiBrR1
grabs the kill

8eX__6SysGAZ--bPp0WgdMQH1fYxB02F-wvpW0Zw

for a level that is again great, but I do wish I were seeing more speed levels.

1OksCNq-6vd1kAXM3wzzTl2_0fJr_bO2objyQlfr

...And somehow we return to the status quo (Ending Story Chapter 1)

Spoiler

dD70aaGu6_0pz-g4UzpIckzi6bkQqh-5VPyNvcFB

Soloing on Lunatic without pairup... I literally do not believe that is possible at this stage

DQP6-1PDuNmuR-LcFXsDI1D5yv6wSKBX88vdgTMy

So "???" goes all silent protagonist on us as

e8W4Mh1g_Hx0pdJh3Zzs7vaZ-MU7n7gV0JjpCkxh

Lissa starts fawning over "his" bravery, while her brother

I-zfj8m2AQ47TKsyJ2BFY4PSMni75t4pMIaq6Vdr
asks the question all of us are

g2KYrtJlEKmPPfiPzY2YRyK9OXyVfpemGH486QOY

and "he" claims to be Marth. If this is FE1 Marth with the invincibility granting Falchion maybe the Lunatic soloing could make sense, but future events prove it is a far weaker version of the Falchion "he" is wielding.

XYick-KSpwegMxoTIeqLH6MIkm30h5hD2noOcn6B

Lucina is such a history nerd for cosplaying as the Hero King. Sorry for spilling the beans early but there are only so many quotation marks I can handle.

HOhW10bZeSgPJQ1YbLhLS675IrcAo5_FoXJYTTIA

and Lucina feels the need to be mysterious by avoiding question, and adding an ominous premonition

KCtLIQkgYxfUw2Dh-dxevJZXdczNFCVfygAmXlLU

Lissa is annoyed she couldn't learn more about her mysterious savior

kRMMGV_lvB6ioz_9sEJqrvE3KKz0arh-9kUSZeAi

and Fred bear despite his usual distrust

m5fQ7RpH1y7mxeHMIWHqqYpMe1_43cb7SbL3-JsD

is far less antagonist toward Lucina than Tiamat, but

tnQAhcQI3SyAo-kMY3x-I1mIeJ-ZIdARelsgxrpj

he does have other concerns on his mind.

r5e3G_npHvEUHvub0x_lLDfIKlQbJxD4o6QReXHW
Its kinda weird that the capitol is so similarly named to the country, but I guess that isn't unheard of just unusual

...Wait is that the maiden again? Let me look it up...no this one has different eye color, as the maiden Chrom might marry has darker eyes like the one seen in prologue, despite the same outfit and blond hair.

6HYMQhewCCaLg_Ao-PpXmMJRh7PL_lPloz5iNK4Y
In the wise words of Freddles himself that is a load of pegasus dung, if nothing else

6bIpXo4cuuvPN0xLm4k0EDI7rAed3nFl5XhV-Smc

the great quake should have been felt in Ylisstol with the extreme movements shown, and exposed lava.

7evWMEOpGBb-7xJ5Fh7cnAz5qe_ge7m02fdmaV4Y

Now we get our first glimpse of the Exalt.

lyUN6yq2WwyaSyLUMIG4MTEMnQts5lvdgXAmXOaT

With Plegia sending agents to antagonize Ylisse into war, this seems like a valid concern. If Plegia wanted war sending some agents to assassinate (or attempt to assassinate) the Exalt would have been very effective at driving Ylisse to war.

XBUH783hclbOKFZFQY-Mj60bUxZNpVdkdWbAGznT

...Yet their father wage violent war. Seems a bit disingenuous to describe peace as the countries "most prized quality"

-dSw1CSwoeijrowb2BAHutyTEG1beDx9uN02yPL50iFAHfyYjqSQuK1GtvRKApJsYqXnQj3LEsU2rIzn

Plus the first Exalt is famed for destroying the Fell Dragon, again not very peaceful.

qkAFjGgKJQjASdU79KI0gFaMU3LtWB-CpQ7ua1wU

This is reminding me of "the purpose of all wars is peace" (other translation I have seen have it as "we go to war that we may have peace"), a Saint Augustine of Hippo quote about the just war theory that attempt to reconcile the idea of waging war with a religion that explicitly forbade killing. Again I am getting some major Christian overtones from this religious organization in charge of this Halidom.

3bfJk9on0gCzQYgl_XUTMPF2ep_ugUDvx7ajImpx
To be fair this Exalt is committed to peace and avoiding war, but with what little we know of its history, Ylisse as a country doesn't seem as devoted to peace.

u6vPhZqbVcGGgqBq-3yVf4GgvDpD3ADjNbjOF4bb
Then Lissa drops the bombshell that her and Chrom are royalty

5R4lkUHHi-WSL9Bnc48gHS4HT-VRW9WitI27npi9

and Tiamat is rightfully stunned

KeZNeXA8YaGx-fqhi3ds5RT13PveSROBYjMVHmGK

and Freddles utterly incredulous of Tiamats response.

lp5rGUsN-ijNS2rf-f-3J5CRr5rAnkhJiKFB_hzidZMhKTUrLePqSjUgW2Y4b66E2OuMc1jTuYHQIjpF

Again he is either calling his citizens sheep, or calling on some distinctly Christian imagery here.

v-axW-naRIgxwV7opDSUmYiFiCf7bkqS5ST_6j5V

Or you know they are the kinda friends that tolerate some well meaning teasing.

R2PtvrVRzkDLBCVi_R-RE_pvDJGvzBq9IYWP207n
Oh Fred bear, never give up on that charming snark.

bA2aWdvBzGsRHoXrXEUrhy-EUEnt0-T6ZVDp7KU6
Next we meet the Exalt in person.

JR520YkwLJq57DPSFulGXrrd6JiyTvgJRgCfio8r

Again Chrom promises we are out of bandit chapters. I guess that just means they get replaced with Risen chapters doesn't it.

c-ddg6VqrjcL7sEQwcwqHsUJm8VZoKGK2tOdZvqe

Some pegasus knights to train would have been nice to have...

UBvGTy6bCKxWzbK1thstzlIR032hVzj1UCaJFJcC

I guess I see the logic in using them as bodyguards, as their flying mounts would let them easily spirit her out of danger.

oOTVXb6Q7O0oekN-WVPFsJjy08PPBzQgMPmZ25rc

Freddles really was a lot of help.

mWEuXpk6Z68hvbIpWWICvwSUudAKoP0bUIU--fv1
...No of course not, but I suppose Tiamat must be introduced to Exalt at this point.

rhJin3V2CzRwEp8b5ZmBJQI7E7x6JhSuu5yPvSu6fS7r5VDYwlCaq-in7MQf4UM6RioVkitINYFHolSt
I guess she did help about as much as Chrom, so she has earned her place as a Shepherd.

pPCDnOkgNh-mBuRUvpz6PGmIYkmLS6srJZLYsG65

That really is a funny way of spelling Fredrick.

PUk4w7H1phARYCZTGxEvcJGRRvhGtANxr1nfEk7PKIojZg2VPkVW_FDIrOg9Em7KG4nK5UWvbSP5LrTi

This is the first the Exalt has heard of Tiamat having amnesia, so this feels a little off, but

94csD-x0MirgKcoaqAt3UbxzPTwyyjE1miWX8BJw

Fredrick does raise some solid concerns.

1r61baoTksRlzg1pTkv9bz6Cvz2EAHe9J5ULiMwE

But Chrom, with all the trusting naivete of a Corrin

twRZb11hGBgAPx0gV9NPkdsjj7aOPebSO-tapMoGi8BM7DaRBCLpVDKY2bNVWir6PgGtPe51d5gnNw82

already trust Tiamat.

sSXUCFfk_97C2bl9ljXyi5h4cT7GwcZRlIRjxk7w
That seems to be enough for the Exalt,

mnH2AXCwhqB19tEjDXVp6WLx6TNNhQwBALgGfbzo

but she does have the sense and/or political acumen to encourage Fredrick's caution, and

RNmJlhdI8QG651Gg9e8W84vt4IszD5qHNmzQux8Q

Freddles gets the praise he deserves.

jHZ22hxAqLm67jlnU3oj_q7S4NcAD147_Ecmbvr-WekFoy33fPvwOtSg0dFzQrDpeoxodxPN2MAy29N6

Good to see that even Chrom and Lissa recognize he is the one carrying the early part of this run.

VJ3uL8t2d1Y_zYnZsjqE9pdpDWwPqQTJ5mfhsxi2GbO7hwOGaLHoayF_5yFMWvKRwPgg1qq-ICZrWl_X

Now the question of what impact the Risen are having comes up.

yTguTrMzbVviHHVbpsjceipSIPWi7940cFQ4ohgU

And it sounds like it is concerning enough to need Chrom's input in a war council to deal with these growing threats.

sr_G4HpBH6hxybvNsFpztmDVyw-4-HpyrIfdpYqj

and Lissa leads us away. With the support feature unlocked, I will end off this with the first support of the playthrough.

But it was hard to run with your foot in your mouth (Support Chapter 1)

Spoiler

We have our first support of the playthrough

LP0rMtqKU9v95jp2FbU4osUr17fjHeiEgdiDo8cQ

Sorry Maiden, but this probably ensures you will never marry the prince.

vegKABsA3wrOx-Q0tSNXjCQu1Aq-E8mt5UCPKX7C

It starts with Tiamat diligently training and researching the arts of combat and war.

mFD__wkVQMtWOF7OqWLe9i-xlnHivJMFl4ZlgpLq
Chrom has some rather good advice here, rest and relaxation are vital to prevent burnout, and maintaining a healthy balance between work and life.

iR-032v83sDU56XYGDvPa2yY-RUB0ZxV2E6BMCUE

This clashes a little with the gameplay here, as I do have complete and utter control over when the next battle will break out, but its easy enough to ignore.

3kQD9OvcIFXojZV1zNJtOnLBIWUFWSBrFVRCyovS

That is very unhealthy, you need the energy that food gives both for battle, and intellectual pursuits (like the reading of history that started this support).

gZ9htjADLcYP8Xgcku7q7Ek6ndgUc4ENgQocmBw_

Thanks for jinxing it for us Chrom.

olJXlzo95h0CSCdUN8gRS17D_Hm4SP25h1f-99Ap

Good to see she has a healthy understanding of the value of rest in maintaining a healthy body.

CVWYFrWCw9Y3YTzhebYwp0ngd53F5mw5pNi7bZCT

Oh no, Chrom stop, this is a bad idea...

zLXSX85IeZj_aKQwsbhJVEGEdsxi0tGEjTY8wK2M
*face palm*

9iW_YCmoIzLuLA-jvC0KK-3GU-gW6tKr01nDNyzA

You have earned everything that is coming to you Chrom.

iMOLKNYY5aehx1UN1ZF6IqMsG06yMocZask-odFA
You are only digging that hole deeper...

PEx5ekU_U7p0vgRHz0Af3dPTF7QhLBYA4GyAtMiP
Its like watching a train wreck in motion.

7imwDuzUbX-e0xkl7lF1a86vTT9dd5FufqJCrmOS

Yes it is. Then again I am not sure how this could come out right...

SHoeaxRhiU738JDX1IRznazW7l2nRPcX9wxSOtdC

Apparently not.

YD3BdVxJX_HsLm2W6Y5PbcprnfpjFYvVOnq-ZHW4
Clearly you needed another-

pDyfFNA3_p88oVjuDVe9VwKFMCPCOcrgC0oxAdi_

...exactly

Z1n1HPG5SXvoKFOfzWKKhTC6bvqeTsq6T0Yk5ryA

He doesn't know when to stop...

u0dfG1qMP8qR36Ne1VjzpAPgGdk4nutnvT1T9PjP

Oh Lord Duma, this boy is going to have to learn his lesson the hard way.

74hkK9l4IWcITwJZHxf4xiegI6qsZ2eXgx8eYvfb
Beating some sense into that emp-

u_BRYhdHBxJh16ZWZhgEivsYjQWXefYk5RIiPUgX

...close enough.

xwmzyodPPr4Wv-QDUVsvIA5VTXKvQQbSA_qsJfYDZMNxsw3rzGqL4Jty5O7a2JYLcwZcd9gXC-o-ggdQ

I know, who expected him to do something sensible after all that...

jKwI1o7xdTQ_vhgJDm4xjHJRsNRSotb_bEtmO2k3wGXuyIwuktzjy79fwUnstL2IdzYYvIXPEqI7veRQ

Ouch. To be fair you learned about him being a prince, like less than a day ago.

Next time we face off against an even harder chapter...

Sorry for waiting so long to get this up, was a bit busy on the weekend, plus the last update was a bit of a hassle to get up due to the captcha trap.

We come to care about our cast of characters (Opening Story Chapter 2)

Spoiler

oIOHOARYlr29vni1nWy4h1VqWPAk1aOvPTBsBNTI

Again there seems to be almost no down time between the chapters, as this one starts moments after the last with Lissa having led us

46YYNGUxDE5Fjjp-sMeGw8Tc3yZQjYdbm6nuEvJW
to Shepherd headquarters. Here we meet the new recruits

RNN0pSd19RUQ_l4w19rKBdY8IJ9b7-7OMKt_Krqy

...even one from a fair number of chapters in the future.

JfJvEA2EoO-usxy7KLCcTAJamXDV1rsslCBQio-t

I must admit, one thing Awakening does really well is making the characters distinct by the language they use when they talk, and make sure to establish the relationships between them.

MXuhmVRk0bewOtCdT4vuybghveGzpfyD6PcpUdjr

Well... I guess you have Miracle...but that is far more confident than you should be.

rta0YF2eIpzYj4juYq3PvWZje3TjZb1u7P9e0u90

Not to mention the apocalyptic cutscene that followed after.

bmxt0vIMbCRLAJsfv2p5fatrCx8-hHu2-QtzoDUJ

And now we meet Vaike. The goofball, the joker, the

BzQskA9NW-n30a-9-R0bXBlwPB59gliZzd__W_9w

...Teacher? more like his rusty axe (sorry couldn't help myself)

IDlSvv5QYCXWQKhPCjGcZp2G2vh1TCdZ9YQkLMg0

opsK2Z_Y_KuIaM4N5jwDbL1Q1QEBY67LaqoLFrsu

X5et00izPmGrOaCq0085BqtNpoVZPYnbt2z_-lbU

I really like how much they joke around, and use that not only to show off their character's traits, but their relations. A lot of these games have to really lean on the support system to flesh out characters and the connections between them, but Awakening did a good job of incorporating that into the plot section.

3V3CNMMJP1aI3IIbOFGD75peAKcQ1x6BITL_ogjK
And now we meet Sumia, the pegasusless peg knight.

rI1mbqkolpPXsBbx_2GBPboPVTMqFfU302kie3ml

Who has a massive

OORPsHudxyCZdTB6FfmzOXHyGhBdm3O1wx5ssKT6

...cripplingly large crush

AOI60NZq0dcfusqlQzJuex9YrNbuWOjlV7_w6gsN

on Chrom.

V9uf3eAvrrajt1WkhiR8V0RFaN1aGtBldzJP7bqP

...I feel like we have stumbled into a high school romance with that kinda awkwardness.

InP5qZNhAFEPUSmd390X1rK8XD4GJszlKuXTiqkj

Tiamat is finally introduced as the Shepherd's fighting tactician (as opposed to Mark, the first player avatar of Fire Emblem, and non-combatant tactician).

oolQHW7L4nZp9Ik91X3sH3RTXbZ6h_--nAlNBHeE

I guess magic and physical weapons is a neat trick, as the last time there was a mixed attacker was in Thracia. Well I guess Tiki could kinda act as a mixed attacker in New Mystery with the Magic Dragon Stone, but that is a little different, as dragon stones are kinda special weapons. I kinda wish I had a more magic focused avatar, but the speed boon was necessary to keep her alive.

e71eu7egfGPGCdfDytjXEo9C3wurkvNeGiFLWC7MkuwfSo9pPexXh9Y-uzjR-i9vT3EMjidhS32Yl9Wt

I like how they show Tiamat starting to integrate into the Shepherds by having her  joke around with Vaike.

iuHEmghbiqCY-5dgq1dKV1yqw7XY_ChFzDv5_bH6

While this emphasizes that Maribelle isn't really part of the Shepherd, and is in more that friend of a friend position.

Q0Pt1zytxZ3-JlhA0Q__r-6a1CcePKL3o9jZ03xY

Yeah that's starting to move from gentle ribbing among friends to kinda mean.

n8Q3VT5ZVlWcg6687qMre4UVjqw0EEnl-pLFsTOz

They are really emphasizing how prim and proper Maribelle likes things, and how

1OC4Nlyq2J5kgnbTFID7q9gPWCmE3YQbklS2f_cL

that makes it hard for her to connect with people (even if she wants to).

vGTtIBSyv6FD4_EpNzVycmTqewkTVKrpEgDjHh47
Sorry missed Sumia doing the anime trip over her nonexistent feet.

ORmp1IxjaM_uF9xm2qKlup-Elprx7ffrpKbI9t2I

Finally the story section gets to the plot.

Y6-qC9f7W8QWOLiGx9-Rnrus9lSnxcbpUbeQjC5Q

With an explanation for what Regna Ferox is. Calling them barbarians is an interesting touch, as it hints at events from the past. Sumia makes it clear that she both recognizes the negative connotation of calling them barbarians, but also that this is a common perception of Ylissians. Add to this the massive wall that is Regna Ferox's border, at first it made me think the Feroxi were in the habit of invading the "civilized" nations to the south, but as next chapter shows, the Feroxi are guarding that wall. This seems to hint that the "peace loving" Ylissians, and other "civilized" nations like Plegia probably invaded Regna Ferox in the past. Excusing conquest and exploitation through the guise of "civilizing" barbarians seems in line with the way Chrom's father had to justify his war for religious reasons. Than again I am still going off of memory for the details of what Chrom's father did, and it has been a while.

NC_OP-YpalKMUrlX_tFeRGwjACGp89RKBECsyfcF

Chrom has a far more practical appreciation of the Feroxi.

fjbQBHBbFCOGUhzFfs_I5GTVa_6JL8gtKxX2IAgzNUnTCowW5It8jO2qxs6IycQ1Fpe9BzJWXBFKRN-y

A perfect excuse for gameplay.

P2Ka7TYAlAXT5czPinwprHC3WdltlvXny6hxk6yE

...Oh Kellam, I forgot about you. You really blend in with the scenery.

t7BO-_USQ1XKxZWFapFJYRHEf8WqzWsfCiX2LoG6
If I have to replay this chapter I will check the veracity of this claim.

COHkjLkevnFWbeMtx80ZkEnZz4I_vx9bjsYtLC_eejpHHX1rJ8yZNHUdayYQNh8WLkdMY3GOcEhL-hwZ

Its nice that they try to explain why you don't get everyone at once in the gameplay, even if they are tagging along in the story.

wSr5SmABliqpddcqNbRmuCv1o9524_lQBSRdpjt2

Then we jump to a weird scene where they hastily introduce Stahl. In some ways I think this scene would have worked for another way to delay adding Stahl if he arrived next chapter.

xk3LqsbbftAgaUdryB97njqubPMSrkCZ4Np1dZyv

_ydxHuU91U1_3nVNKnii_ABEmoYvu_XJInQ19vSN

ynHw-W1lYgvIDfgT5jYjC40oaMMrYiU6HPuK-ZXf

Poor Stahl gets overshadowed by Vaike and Lissa's comedy act.

Hwnku1grET4jW283BOCOycHezRA_qdmvMx7vqKAxUHr8LzCxhWc5lH7gd3VDJjw3Ku4JLCl4JINy3_L0

Poor Miriel barely gets name dropped immediately before being recruited. She really got the short end of the Awakening story introduction stick, but Stahl doesn't do much better. Time for a hard chapter.

...So that we are invested in their deaths when the Risen arrive. (Battle Chapter 2 ?)

Spoiler

Vgy1TWxCy7jCSkHH-Vo2yV_I9Ri-4cBe_RR6iaIV

Now for a Risen filler chapter. Than again maybe they will find a way to make this random Risen encounter relevant like they did with that first Bandit chapter.

5rgVRzW8xRUkDHPs-kmAddUn4utNZZi7INw1R7Rh

Its kinda silly that we have a weaponless unit but it is part of the trading tutorial.

First things first, I use pair and separate strats to get

V3n5pIorY8qAM0OKNPi6dWl2nXLTr7gHBX0zMl5wPA1m2ufByiwl0Z-bGN8k1_gg55OAfVYMaEo_I2Df

Tiamat, Chrom, Lissa, and  Sully into this defensive corner, with Fredrick positioning himself next to the mountains to add some extra safe space, while getting in some enemy phase chip. The rest hide in the starting area.

jZ5sRu99ZFjuz6CIey_5qGWgVn-Ww3nd8DqbfgEh

Next turn Miriel arrives with

sflqlPu1q_1cvLpDncAJa5Q0UrGcOEYl9TIoLN03lrb8wr_9nMVyo2osTLvVQ5ubDevWrV7gR4-R0bt_

a tutorial. She does seem to be the perfect character to force a tutorial on us.

rH-RQ9UEeocoQHp1OASDpCjnzwgZW88wH0G2WfCB

Next Fredrick finishes one of the Axe wielder with a bronze sword to save a Silver use (and to have 100 accuracy).

7pugeVTNcAkGlw6RKmfo7drVJXtBCewFsF_DkfWh

Tiamat also trade switches Fredrick back to the SIlver Lance. This swordsman is particularly deadly as he has just enough speed to double (and kill) Tiamat. It can also randomly have the Patience skill giving him an extra 10 avoid/hit on player phase, which is annoying. Lunatic seems to be randomly adding lv 10 skills to enemies at this point, and resetting changes which units have skills. Soon Chrom will take position just south of her to hold the east.

AV4eL-CPaYomfRP-2lD89OEOktSbpIk49hJR0bzF

In a complicated maneuver, Vaike pairs with Miriel, she moves and trades him back his axe, and transfers him over to Lissa.

jHg6C4kkpxa_dWxgV6ENDxh1_dG8I-qOsk2HUtX7kWgoyCTPnVMnsWLD3Mc6bUM1_eWaPHiAgpgRzHUY

Triggering this interaction to the trading tutorial, with him barely on the map. This is some of the early Miriel introduction, and makes it clear she is an overly verbose teacher/mother character.

M5kdfyG3ZJkYHEP_wg4f8Y3flN1DVZ6ff1UgmJ3q

Now to hold the northern pass Sully blocks the open terrain, and Lissa drops Vaike onto this mountain to keep the Soldier from passin over them. He is being doubled by the Soldier, but with weapon triangle, the extra mountain defense, and his massive pool of health he can just  barely take the hit.

8uM9wX1_-AAsOI1u0aOqUkr6iRiErXZcxFFuX9uC

Then Stahl drops Virion into this safe area we have carved for ourselves. Speaking of Stahl he doesn't have the base speed to survive Lunatic. Everything on this map doubles and kills him, and he has no range to compensate. Sorry Stahl fans, but he probably wont see much use.

qiAI7jI5KdookaTw57AIYZe0liEZREtzkoqUVyU9ZJeD0K81MOXvM5IsrKMJ7A-dIl74AAThw6p_LsfM

With this mass of enemies pressing in from the east, its time to take the northern pass, and have Fredrick hold it.

fdwq7aY-SjQHPk-3IfUktC2YDFNOmRDad1zpkC-y

Sully starts by chipping the soldier Vaike injured.

yPx1E6f6SbcalDA-ruqftdOFExcmXTUuaUIMRHnM

Then Virion chips in position to pass his exiler off to Fredrick

Qdfg7inTEFfUV2BHTIY1z0G1hMV2lerPDGQeOdT1

and Tiamat uses her full move to finish it.

zVGLOEpCjzmfVvTnuO_R-NYhS3aDwROhrovF0665

Next Lissa gets Sully just enough health to let her take another hit just like that one for future turns.

3ZS2QzwpwG3EC1VHftein1-Ypl3x19-eCEXB4naSjAGB_qzNGy3DtSJxPpMy_1TJDuXlk8CDFbZ9UnK2

Fredrick nabs and uses Virion's elixer.

tQZLM8hvi2F-B1nLXchRlO_cfSk3MRh5V4MnesCy

Then everyone pulls out of enemy ranges with pairup and separate strats.

dlaTvw9JJgV01bolIw7NApLEntTfgxUU_BORBzbuplfaQ4zGPjvFv9liy1bfzXDCumy_GOU76X02AlC6

This challenge is fairly merciless, and mentally taxing.

vUgKK7l1Q2HV4hg_ONsPinEeqCQ3Wb6eEoCrNT_A

Its nice that Fredrick is thinking about the players well being, but...

RubPtDpMqyRuUaPzwqk-bSbTzfStHdCScLl3SGEt

...autobattle is the worst idea ever for this mode and challenge. Autobattle is only safe on a Pheonix or Casual mode run, and even then it probably will still fail you on Lunatic and Lunatic+

whcGH8yp7hbwfCRy4zobknpoxedHwDYNOw5VqACD

At least they warn that it can be a bad idea to use autobattle.

_kjhFcRnI2PW1lxvfxybrAF3KicgcJCWQKZyLQ-1

Virion starts by trying to get the ball rolling on clearing out some safe space south of the mountains with some chip.

E3PYZrqoM-ALux8HZLVJLwAis6dQi9d0P3Wa0biv

With Tiamat following suit, but misses

S0Zcxvd3gesPWoi4QZSk3Yf6M5-CrQUaaBBz3Qxy

Sully has just enough health to take a hit, but with the Tiamat miss there is no way I can finish the soldier this turn, and hold the northern pass with Fredrick (plus had some miss clicks with other units that wasted a few actions). Sully waits instead of attacking, and lets the forests to the south keep him from getting at my squishier units.

UwnZONYpOMXZGoEc8HBbly-hVy5xy6coMNnWCyib

Fredrick burns another elixer use to make sure he survives for the end of turn

dcZ0KLv8fAWF02J9pFgoc-1zNRXOxhfUdpJBsCW1

Note Vaike had to flee to the north to escape enemy ranges.

snw7OiTYg0mqxFPRZArPKHmZBdyL13_N5pxOeLzq

Its time to finish the first half of this map.

009-aKSQdPVuZjgwbe1lSRMsL2158wZeSFOuy4UY

First Fredrick adds some chip to the Soldier to let someones else pick up the kill (even with the Sully dual attack that triggers). Speaking of kills

usCQqltbJlnSqUo8ZK7hPQiz_wsHEBsgencpswOF
Tiamat grabs one

vIDZHwgMmtm1-XZxeOasvaUCTsjD6IGbgOSL1I16
For a level that thankfully adds the one speed she needs not to be killed by the Mercenaries on this map.

cwIEyaMnutcx2mNP1YuC0zQDCVo_UJYzy9QJDc14
I let Virion grab the next kill.

gF51-rUA9tctOjw2CWx-mLsQGLSbwKz3SzfseGpQ

and Chrom grab the last.

qn-yLkzBqkIZAXASJN1KfYXDfxbhx59lgpnESXyt

With that the first half if this map is done, and I will jump back in when I start dealing with the other half.

Vu4ZOiFpego7iqiSJ6jn_a-oJqNwv3jfRKEl0ExK

Lissa grabs a bad level while healing people to full, and

_0zFI01zMhFGMUHoiouPyGnFhHp29QnczXg8ymYh
Chrom gets the first shiny spot for

kR9HhuIgIqFv7clP6v1xDajPgmW9hMc_7e-0XcC9

Now it is time to draw in the enemies

LnMtJWxXoJQ-xNsh_xshjhcYx7Mvdgb9iYNXoCk3
... or I have to go one space closer for some reason.

g92yTDd4GzxDrUB99Zu4T0sYNkmYgsE9KxT87t4d

With the rest of the enemies on the map charging our troops Fredrick holds a fort, while everyone else uses pairup and separate strats to pull far back.

OQzOEXp_EKdS3TFt5g_ltA1y9YlQ5JWguQhzjnCF

Fredrick gets an enemy phase level

4RQatrWtVEsZOZkIqmp2ykhcr8FWu5yZ8S-9TJNW
that at least gets more speed.

ohfIAiFNyq5TzsyGGF1F6goMeiIVN1PPagmcEt2g

Then Fredrick pulls out of the boss's range, and I try to get Chrom some enemy phase xp,

lMJbeEZOdJq8O5Sg8zk00JyVjWJEARclW8LxAqbc
but alas I use the damage Fredrick took from the Mercenary on enemy phase in my calculations, forgetting that he will take more damage off the fort leading to a reset. It would take about 4 more resets to get to the second half of the map next time (One reset due to a first turn crit kill on Fredrick from a Barbarian with gamble, two more with key misses that weren't survivable, and one where the AI behaved differently for indeterminable reasons, that thew me off), but end up falling to the boss, it would take even more resets before finally getting to that second half a third time for the win.

Sorry for cutting things off with a loss, but I wanted to emphasize how difficult this map was, (and so I didn't have to recapture the in map dialogue every time). If there is any interest I could add the images from another failed run that fell to the boss as some bonus content, but next time I will finish this chapter off (hopefully I can get the update up by Sunday).

Sorry about getting this out late, but I had internet troubles and was told it would get resolved until Monday.

Third time's a charm for battle(Battle Chapter 2)

Spoiler

t4yfYGTQdHMxHlS9rcLSLVvTg3qk9XoMELMZ6nQa

A shot of the illusive Kellam there in the far left side. Catching images of him feel like trying to get pics of Big Foot

brLxCj7VNk762uvf1X7MEdrnuiSrNp1HrLeNk6Dg

You may notice the place I dropped units off in the opening move is a little different, I was hoping that would reduce the chance of

Mq0wz_YFfxPQRxSoXp1Z6ONSFdrtqHW06xHMoXwH

that Soldier going west instead of east. As you can see it didn't work, and this random move by the AI means I am not going to be able to kill it when we cross the other side of the mountain, so there will be a spare soldier I must deal with later.

vx_eqC3QmA6AWgB8zDv9Ae1I4vMCxo5C9u-UKTT_

It also means a different formation here, as the soldier threaten an extra space south, and I don't have to ferry Vaike north to block the mountains.

qL7HR3UJ4sbdX5VCDADeDGIY_7wzNOx8BwwTh3m6

The rest of the strat is fairly similar, Fredrick holds the pass as the rest of the troops flee north, with an elixer use for health

bWbICkc6cSBGjhlFNWF8rEqTQ_ktcWUCRhGxu2_jU9MQVMhR1NydGyR1HmI_q-IEKCBi6Gcl4XDspN9z

Although I drop people off in slightly different places

veMXvpbA_FTUgKmKCVUTxMbWKG6b7pBt_78joKKR

to let Lissa heal Chrom (he took a hit from the extra Soldier).

aPWJtYUEw1H0BfkiOJ6cYml5MnRLSZ5xIzFqqBVD

I conserved my Silver lance a bit more on this run, so I need to clear out a Brigand before blocking the Soldier with the help of the forest.

2ATfA1cNiWqaP1272Cmrq64Tn850faZ53wyz3EEX

Virion starts by chipi-

tWJZiK7AVXWTDHEtnjfS1Ujh1zHFWroS3x7BdOWm

or he can gets the Fredrick dual strike for a kill. Even without it the Brigand would have died, but having gotten it

Cu5t0l92iO7SsqXoullQCbyOX72bI8bgX7F3-cu_

Miriel can start with some chip on the Soldier, and Lissa can use her healing

eKT0idfU1kfO2A_dOfDUWxZR-ruhx756Zj8FAeYB

to let Fredrick save an elixer use.

LNEHj2R_oFVgfPFStXxCtkYZmp0fapzYaQ-UeDDZ

The extra Soldier complicates things a bit here, as he heads south, and the enemies that attacked Fredrick to the north can cross the mountain, so I either need to kill both Soldiers, or find three non-Fredrick units the can take a Soldier hit, and reach the spaces to block up that path. Either way that first Soldier has to die

BTvMFQq_eKt49QvVdEfOCegkqW19T7qxqcBIYBDa

and the positioning of Virion makes it clear I am shooting for the double kill.

v9xWweo_uOmdWeLCcHiWoJpYy5fBOLdCfEQ7sB26

That extra hit on the rapier makes my accuracy a bit less shaky on the Chrom kill.

fikyDI8etblxDJJMzPnsSka6c2Fw24Zwe81YJGeESLBgDv0ggJ9ArfC9zaBzS_0wRCrCNONogXLi41YM

Next I soften the uninjured one with both of the mages

siCBRvIStiSr_MCv-wOFMZ6o8aeUPNtxwNjSMwWB

Then Sully drops him down low enough (and can takes the counter)

13sBjRypP7KVRcr0G3L5D3GQYpP4XbiG0eYzEd2x

So Vaike can finish him off. Funny how this emphasizes how necessary the mountain was in the previously shown run to letting him live a round against an enemy Soldier.

vQxDWuqYNhB629c9nEfKN3WM9UQ6Im_pa4hUTntL

Fredrick pulls back to block the path the enemies could take over the mountain, while still covering our rear, but he does end up using the elixer use I saved last turn.

PO8cg537QQlDeNPjjpM3OAY8zu5QSZ7lkTKwYZZM

Fortunately Fredrick saved the kills

knU_1UOeWplvTLuxOL9BYzbFyBA9Y1zd2_vyn6qv

for Tiamat to

dMHWbEAlBsEJOJbYVh-jtbLAHnqZ-tWiCVC7V5Cx

gain a level, and get that key point of speed that lets her live Mercenaries.

Cz4aO429iH7EJm0tHYH4tK-Mho5k1saTnYUA7f3I

Virion has to chip the one with mountain buffs

TgRMtzVZeFV9IPankcSVRFBbFVMgatmvvTZzupfa

and Chrom lucks into the kill. He could take the hit, and I have two other units that could finish it if he missed so I went for it.

vE5Vd_k0f-1mcDErcHlZofLwNN8ftvOkrFTHg_Ns

So that is the first phase done. Third time is the charm for this second phase.

i4PvITZW_OB_o-kzACSozdda9Pmvyr7QNr4mVORh

This time Tiamat claims the shiny for

MTl8y4NTMAWwnkc6ASsuDbWUZlULI2uQ5npLy5TF

Now lets draw these enemies in,

-KyWxC39NenHw-scTpiTAO4IN7cC7FDU--y_MKuI

and both level enemy phase, for

Ss_WBA53RItpUlVpZujPuJSq2t35bBsbvkIQRwNv

a great Chrom level, and

-EgdS2GxkX9iWYRRcw-qOV9qvyVqnL3dMTpvPHiK

... well I guess defense is nice.

Y2HYsHrM8yuCOY67FeTl1dpCgECruD1lyFrkUN2W

Fredrick holds down the fort, while I pull the rest of the troops way back.

4BXiqMr9i7fVk-tGAwja__JWW3rdDfqfR9ksTTaw

Fredrick pulls back out of boss range, but with lucky misses I don't have to heal him, and Sully should be able to grab an enemy phase kill.

d-xG98uEnM0FQpp-W0qSsuThQetI6VweC9n9kxCR

Fredrick draw off some of the enemies while the bulk of our forces heads back into that defensive corner.

2foHj-ljxdtvJFqBEvrVAXDy7dJmy6Y1DQsObtmV

With him enemy phasing the axe, I let him finish the Soldier with a Silver use,

wOT9hhExpL2zx7UKb4qJX5aYzz-UxiBuEEiZhGb5

and we get both the dropped item tutorial, and a spare lance for Freddy. Things are looking dangerously tight for the rest of the army though.

Yb_zg8dw5g1mKgOTpygbyVM4gmXraZ2dcXk055tF

Stahl drags Vaike north to get us more room.

bfOP_dnc6EkuRrQLN8bMv4R1J3oXoENifCR1gR7z

I manage to get some healing on Sully in the hope that she can take a hit next turn, but

gPwlaTuxuAJRsETVrhSPdumbA5tmGLZxdWbv7PJt
I need to use pairup to find the space to keep Miriel safe. With my rule set, this is going to cost me key actions next turn.

Fortunately the enemies heavily split their forces, so that crew only has to deal with one Mercenary

Tod3QEgmGZ3FZWB6ibRHOFx5jbnrbL5egktqOCbt

Which Virion chipped

kzv1setPh5gkcMst4Um6z-j0ksGPPMgHEhQDRuML

for a rather meh level.

zrfcCsYvyuqD5yf8PaKKlTeA9r2U4zaorbhRkjT3

and Tiamat finishes it, so Lissa

5QdKnx4F53wGz77QFCnYmVZsGloDuoUv5oYIpkN3

starts healing her so she can survive an attempt to chip the boss, and get.

vxPfEJt_CDh6qTl60d_f3Kk4EeW9ZCAbjgWpt5qj

a fine level off of the heal.

VC5LrRsCI7RsgRKi8QskZt-lXRQYSMfKEz4QpO2A

Meanwhile Fredrick kills a soldier that took a SIlver on enemy phase, while getting in the face of another enemy.

mshblJR93O_VBzrc9IrGoxzaF5Ge7UliWVpupSl3

Finally Vaike rides with Stahl back to rest of the army, leaving the bosses too far away to threaten anyone.

EGm3UsOq4V0Nrxfhv5S4u2m7bedfp5xtk6El2BGc

Next turn Fredrick chips the Bandit,

DJNUvbeB0ZF6yncFub35ETjQ8_Wg4DSuMVFL27Ir

and Vaike trade, pairs, and separates with Stahl in position

mVsbcbUbZisZM5tkDk296AM_axIu8Wl98E8ZiAkz

To let Sully

DfYNuFv8uHYgjhyz3sNLot6ait4igcXHGrSo3P-3

Reach 100% accuracyon the Bandit kill, ensuring she cannot miss and die.

G0HvSbkwblFM5k9N1WxyFYREwh51577_8WEuiuBC
Speed is so critical, but I still wish it was a better level up. Everyone else keeps out of the boss's range to gank him next turn.

8KoQZRNa3hAN24uWjjugu_tsyy4gs_vDHfGeJa8B

Starting with Fredrick's Silver to deal over half his health,

9b7OjGW-8ZLP6ewWfXTDa8U-6zuQlfD6pOJxFG3Z

Then Chrom gets some key chip with the Rapier for 100% accuracy

vTw7roezu9OHfT88GL3S1HagI1clkonTcdEM4bFV
but crits for the kill.

k54X9sk1NcKJKLTxHHJcq9Tos_uOLZESmhu8FImd

That was difficult, and I kinda wish I could have jumped strait to the second half of that after a reset, instead of having to hope I don't get too many misses or see an enemy crit before retrying.

and lets us charm the Pegasi (Ending Story Chapter 2)

Spoiler

BIzOKBY1gzSFzfIX3K8MdcbBdn3Y1oSjn6lMbQIg

You said it Chrom, that was hard, and I am glad to be past it.

p1KYrb9ZVa0vHUk1Ggn_s-cDqBabkPKbJ2lutCoP6uK_v9nfw11dk6Q9Gx659X9tOikZ5h8jyr5M8tw0

I hope this isn't a sign of more Risen filler chapters, and is simply an excuse to explain the grinding maps.

g9JuR85C_bVgaB4DlE6qDwkQ6gOOf11mEPJ9oi8p

Then we meet a Pegasus, that is already wearing barding, and saddle. This has to be some Pegasus rider's mount, as it is all decked out for battle.

FCxMdPtNNcT33GJeZVJGht-qCwPgkycM7jERFjNz

The Pegasus doesn't appreciate Chrom's attempts to help her, and seeing as the Shepherds end up stealing her away from her previous owner (who to be fair might be deceased, as the Pegasus is injured) that makes her a rather clever Pegasus.

W2SYWqHSIs6ea5Qdl0ZUx8vcOFa7bm8xaYjiGo-Q

Missed the anime pratfall again

ggBvP7R_Yu-kd87mPvkNSWWS6Uf_0FnqLWo0PQB5

Chrom is being a bit hyperbolic here, whether that is just to protect Sumia, or indicating a fear or distrust of Pegasi is harder to say.

AezlpU_NBSafK3C9-Wv7CtrLizG0YIV5WnV_Tlx_
Then Sumia reveals herself to be

WkfyrwubDZfWhG0Ql6vKLCUANsglaPSSZ1ut6WWi

our first Pegasus rider.

a1-V8q6XzY4xxwE5PTHMhFKY0Guo0w4jLQ1w5aMV

Plus all the weird gendered nonsense that a lot of the games attach to Pegasi helps a bit too.

VzZ6iPfNsvBDRfmGQJM_60cVDgZWkL9t3nQwtjU8

It is a bit strange that none of them question what happened to her rider, but I guess I shouldn't be looking a gift Pegasus in the mouth.

2Dg8l1GMvae-HcNKq0zfg_DP43w5PbKkg68WlvYk
Don't worry Chrom

0amlvtejtcXFylyBc1_3D1OLr9-5fxmE6ibCWnTE

she arrives at the start of next chapter.

bKKdXN9SNV722dbTXVi_m-ErFqaG6gANsI-DoLFm

Well at least until the shops, and infinitely respawning grindable encounters show up, then we have all the time in the world to faff about before the plot catches up.

and fair maidens too (Support Chapter 2)

Spoiler

Now for the Supports, first the Fredrick and Tiamat C support

iugVv0t5qiA7s5gO0xZrJuD_fuy6hENdoN_8JSZS

With some training, where Tiamat is being told off for apparently being a rank amateur.

ch8FhTT1xcPZm8nsEM7uSO2Kwt2UT-WWCd8KidDh

...yikes, those criticisms constitute better than her previous effort. Than again compared to the Fred bear Tiamat has a lot to learn.

p0TK9A531G3OvBvh0wESWXh-sf8BfYG1V-fVxw1b

Again I like how they reference gameplay mechanics (her skill that boosts xp) as being a part of the world. Too bad it requires pairup to function so I don't get to see the benefit.

2GPORhOMdnBQbHW-y4bjcpIEwOXWr9qRWUKN3XnR

Seems about right, the kinda thing that practically kills Tiamat doesn't even phase the Freddles.

lFaAtJ6jno9w3pAwt7L_OfFWdSxNaKOhmGOKj8x7rI8uX5nloA30Lq2cFtGC3C70vvqcVFTg2uCSh0Gu

... an ominous prediction, but the way things are going...

GJyipD5ZEC3NB-bD8KPxeYqnoRS9r0Qy3a0w4Keb

Yeah Chrom needs him to carry through this section of the game.

AXRrg53B846iTYr8Izqw6wmw27Ymkb_EeAGCs-mx

I mean he already promoted. I don't think Awakening tracks internal levels like Fates, but if it does I would be curious how much higer his level is supposed to be

Xz_LDrX657QaoSg-CAwrw_u1aUQ_0MyLyIKaTXAp6bqJZl_aDr0EVzxbNdvEOAy72i7jgnzI0U_F1pkU

and he walked to school in the snow, up hill, both ways.

Mqw6WTqIr2TMPy8NE2uP2JA8u9TbsGpWbVG-v5Y9

...That is a weird head cannon Tiamat was making there, although I guess pebble collecting does sound like the kinda thing some Fire Emblem units might do.

7o_3R34kuBbvtcR2EE8msrslxmLA2_MVYb2FrHG3JndlhT1CsWYoDpgngxYcLJ3XXVhIbUQEqXNZSD2G

Remember that famous quote from our good friend Smokey the Bear

7rxGRSpeVulMpd1jOCwT2yM9cCUwBWSteZOgTFKm

And that is why you don't eat a cultural icon famous for his PSAs

CsTPUwgtjn3ZuUgHxdFr1OZzrb_9bk1dfKXVE3_b

...this sounds suspiciously like the setup for an S support, but its a little early for that.

Next we have the Fredrick and Virion C

wxoB9RQD6QWSWYrDrWjjoDazDkUFvJU87Jqfgzh8

...Fredrick, Virion is an archer, and only uses Bow. Even his reclass options do not use blades (although two of his promotion options can use them he is nowhere close to that)

rKeZvDfzQxrmyJGjddR8_IscviUHaozQI7166Zj-FlQtcPGidZQ202oywyztgcE7WvZN-Dq_nseZlgr_

Thanks for cutting through the blather to get to your point. Do we ever hear more about this house Claive in the story?

CbhRi0C3Dk1eMO_XLcJ53YGJiVSzQ1hHYYvgz_GK

Ah so it was a dagger, with that not being a weapon in this game it would be more like a tool or ornament. Than again the Golden Dagger was a sword from his homeland.

OFnQcYzbrgo16vVCjLgBdNrgOSBdOkWKiIcNO9cQ

Is he about to give away his secret Valmian noble status early?

T3WqEIuIPjZoryrk9saJ6vlRNGtdL-zVL9jqvwTI

...Oh he slept with a young noble women,

OIcLg70PSdOzhu06IbQRpVPQwOIIErDb3fIj8aBM

and was given this blade as the price to defend her "honor" if ever asked about it.

vZhdZ3fbEtSFBohOoE2iIbFGf8MdK5ZIMY9OcLTwmteTBTHLWCBNCfZ7ro6VuOKt3JMOXVVc-QHLOlrR

...That is generally not the kinda thing guys are proud about, you don't want to be known as a prema-

l5z6I8he4aVxXP-pOnlxSKnbjO7rb4GAOhA_FqSk

Oh he is just saying it was a one night stand.

yJ9D-_p8ZKDWT1I47cGegGTo9x-jSVE4Yi_mXr6c

... more like incredulity.

Jj0covXoJNIsUYzv1h5nIRBsqgrhBQ0Apjei_smm

Jumping from one sugar momma to next.

iVKb4Tdz1ZGvjFZycce4HpKtZ0e-wjZ2yZcNRMfo

...Except when you spill the beans with your friend Freddy, and he has the basic mental capacity to read between the lines.

Xq0AN4ll6uGuBpx29JFo1YJ6JjwSV9KKq2BLH--eKtQbrDv4yKqSJsQS_5V60ZCsOyY4LFzoQ9JZy5G-

Or your friend Freddy can think you are full of -

V7J8-zhwb6Fv24gDd0pp2shHA-NyJKcAw9xAVNDx

I guess his plan is to sleep his way into an army to reclaim his home.

keRSU3OsQQ-IfVmL8vqy52_dxQeFptXBkvOw3TGo

...Freddy don't be a peeping tom.

That is it for the supports. See you all next time for a map that took the least resets.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay, had the update mostly done a week ago, and my computer froze, and lost it.

When the war grows cold (Opening Story Chapter 3)

Spoiler

ca9yljlZhypg-TbAUq2wK8qMOSwKxoSWVs2cNXMg

We open on this adorable commentary on the cold. That seems to indicate that it is either winter, or there has been some severe climate change on the continent, as the map shows this to be on what was formerly the plains of Aurelis, and the only really arctic region we have seen before was far to the north east.

PNHiXc5g92xT0xpEbW0jacKUZmkgtQZrBJ1sOai4

F-F-Frebberick is a sweety isn't he. Also do we ever hear more about his horse, or find out her name, like Cherche's Wyvern Minerva?

2PrQId_sotWnIVfarSV60THjKyz8P9iMTTwX8PL_

Here is where we learn that this great wall has been made to protect the Regna Ferox from the "civilized" nations to the south.

K2si1f-8R6aZ1EeZFMpjz05A7bpJVxcH42G4rE_Y

All right, a great wall, and isolationism are giving me some heavy Chinese vibes, and with their rules called khans it make me think of the Yuan dynasty (which was founded by Mongol conquerors that kept their khan titles). They might be hinting at the fleet problems I vaguely remember from the Valm arc, as the Yuan's incompetence with regard to ocean going ships was a key reason their invasion of Japan failed twice due to timely typhoons (most of their fleet were incompetently converted river bound ships). There might be other parallels I am not remembering or don't recognize.

zYlG6xrVGUnZbMckETltkTXDXorHJOOffgwt1zNT

I mean this is a fire emblem map, so hostilities are inevitable.

S_6UOVgzQ_S8TIQ7wdQnaIQpEtjrVcLa6INrKYRM

Which is why Ylisse sent the Shepherds, a paramilitary group, instead of a diplomatic envoy. Being less sarcastic Emmeryn seems politically savvy enough to recognize that she might have trouble negotiating with the Feroxi for troops, and maintain her pacifist image.

iOhBOM2IdEdvINESVjF_6NQK3GTalsAZ7mfswfTT

Ah the old WWI paradox, if the Feroxi mobilize

qcP6_9MlpdzaPPxIZzjbDkvI6Wa6Nho4R7fEsToC

the Shepherds have to mobilize as well or be overwhelmingly behind.

DSpuyJLne4xEAC8ennQCVsEJ7jmHY8qP90LE-f9Y

Oh ever bountiful and merciful Mother Mila, the prep screen. Having this makes things so much easier, as we can trade, and pick the deployment locations.

We transition to wars of words (Battle chapter 3)

Spoiler

This is the first have to bench anyone, and

wClo7_Ic-IEsyFU3vx8FTlSigoD2ZBj3-6tSghR5

Stahl was the obvious choice, his speed is just too low to survive, and he has no two range option to avoid melee counters

e-RLqoR5ub9oDtz1CDfHqgUnwuK_74FpONI_WJPUEEpUaGOpjWjGG0wVsl5BkjrvZJehYvd3rZBBQsV6

This conversation probably should have happened before they both deployed against eachother.

4SLij2PU9lSfO8dElN2hKIUvZpxqSPIVoxJSf_4F

It's nice to see Raimi has a strong understanding of the weapon triangle.

Ewu5ylfTENSHDpM-8mzV0g_kUHTGuhkn1kPSKzav

With the Shepherds having prepared themselves for battle I can see why Raimi might doubt they are here for diplomacy.

4hdTVj8zpGP-0TEQ2XGFVU1CdriKjdHitfYQ1Gg_

I am somewhat amused with us being mistaken for brigands, as a nod to how cliche brigand maps are.

adgQPcH0npY89VxMwbmCSufb94MfllQXNlrxPqqV

I like how they put Ylisseans in quotes to emphasize that intrigue is going on behind the scenes.

E4q_UrnkBtdnLpcTc1dBw6I4Nb3n83zSDOU122QzEWNhecmwJDkYUhrBgspCOIqfq7FFKMaZ6SAW2zT0

I love how they use this joke to help build our understanding of the world. From it we learn first that Valm is a powerful country whose prestige is continent wide. Plus it makes me think of the classic Indiana Jones scene

609PEtUVjWyvh9t7EO5olYJZcuklgcupkEhtlVkz

First I like this emphasizes how misguided the view of the Feroxi as barbarians is by emphasizing that they have an organized law code. Second it is interesting that this comes up enough for the border guard Raimi to know the penalty for this law off the top of her head.

EkLH1TpOeJbTbWNPSz9sv4zEWyzNrBwuBB5IfkumNxAL7Iew9BFTODC4y1HJStbaioHe0pYcfKgg8sn1

Meaning trial by combat. Historically a trial by combat was usually single combat, and originated from Germanic law codes, but Fire Emblem doesn't have to follow history. Plus the game needed an excuse to have combat with our allies.

lm1pZpSGSEFsj0HDEsWR3VxO3jGzkncppphjoGC5

I think she knew what she was doing sending Chrom as an envoy. Chrom is a known warrior whose reputation wouldn't be undermined by combat, which she might have anticipated.

4OXJa-DtZGs7WUA4N644w9G5Hqcz5lj4_v4Ki9_R

Finally we can get-

OasO4Gc_NoCJ1NZccc9m8XY-4ygFIdm6ZO-_RzA2

...to a cutscene.

OJnJ9rt1knmryjrw-Kru3hlX4SEW98p4tX_HPTT_

As enemies launch Javelins from positions that don't exist on the map

0MnFQ4eM3JzOplJRcTwmJ2msh2MHcxSLbHDfekWY

and Sumia swoops in to save the day.

7uHWYq5hdNiJRuml9_BW0Cp0s-zWcN5_0rGjccrr

I do like how they show Chrom and Sumia paired up on the map, to explain how she saved him.

3uI5MSFUMac8Yx2soPGMkvS2Uf-P8_cuKRRu3xCt

Don't be looking a gift pegasus in the mouth Chrom.

99JAjY05Lr2CzL70Vq5kWGpfT-bK8_yW5tCSmRu8

It was mostly cutscene power that saved you, but I am thankful for having a Pegasus Knight.

3G7DDVz5qDzYYPt4Vv9KHsx9YJ6T0ohf35-_z93C

That is kinda adorable, but also makes me think this pegasus might be kinda tsundere.

xXsjx_1ccmIYhtsa_rWN4O1xrSbdBEL78Rs_q6Mk

Finally the map begi-

bknoo8bFzj3WZIrEAocHRm_R9meE9CZ5LhB-f9xZ

...With the pegasi tutorial

b78zW2shNT8wpdblK8F-u52C30QHnLpj3PKA6bOW

It's an odd coincidence how every mount so far has been female (plus Cherche/Gerome's Wyvern is as well). I wonder if we ever learn her pegesus's name.

PcWOGe_vxeuOR-i9SsmFl-U0UdbSB7V3mwknivhn
I just wanted to emphasize how the enemy doesn't start aggroed on this map.

vnxacSu2am3lnZVBA6Ftu9_exLXJNzrCL7s7f2vp

Don't be getting too jealous now Tiamat.

xw_T3j6IrpPbkyejvlrEA4amhLOowIErU4U9GtUbSaF019-iApm0aLprHomia73TvlyBGTPOz3s3JeSE
On a more serious note, it seems odd that the pairup tutorial comes as late as it does considering how vital they made it.

TQxAlQHVzpYhVXhg2oAnvdbtRfGVt6hNj8678-pC
Sorry Tiamat we wont be using those powers this run

29GwU-dD8H0-GAWRy2IcCf5qb0U8jOYyfAMatQO2

but that I will let pass, making pairup a more convenient version of rescue on this run, plus

azh0Nms5tsRDzZW74dnnlByb7wr7gMEjsXOzL7Hp

Back with the map, its time to bait the side with more archers

zuSL3MQaC2puDKQu9PndA0sIW5zK9xvmXgq2gs6R

After Fredrick chips I give Sumia her first kill (on one of those archers she was watching for.

OLhARvHkF466X0Uauys8pYV8fkNQEK06c733YFe3

I think they expected Fredrick to claim the first key with him voicing the door key tutorial when it dropped.

BLHSXuxxH5tk9z6ky855X9qCnEEIlwqKVJSh_vZW

Next Chrom uses the effective damage bonus on the rapier to chip the Knight

WSbmZMEk5u-epVUjKF31X4-BuWlCNzJhODfCRDJ9

to give Tiamat the kill

e1t6_I2nvPv4ASS2tbzOFeWjuNYYzHtHrjhJG9B5
Then have Miriel trade tomes to

xo-qlFl2j-YyCfLfSMnPAMHZ3R5Af1QD6sA3Zwer

exactly kill the Soldier Fredrick shipped enemy phase.

TzTbJUMH8VsORriWaN9_VQANxKhslAquMLWaJjHy

Unfortunately to pull that off I had to put Miriel into the last archer's range, even if I surround him like I planned. Looking at the numbers I should have traded tomes from the perp screen, but then Vaike got a dual strike

AEnjz9MzG0eYPZb550qMva_gl90zbgvLOvEyAFln

Which put that last archer into kill range

d1epWDE-8XyOgpui53DMrpWdz4aM8s3do4DyUTfr

with Virion claiming the kill, saving me a reset. With my only reset before being a quick check of enemy behavior to figure out what I wanted with my units starting position, this felt like a one and done.

z_7lncApyHByc4DQBE0ZkKLjjdklo_7Fi8AOMNCk
Lissa moves last and fills Fredrick's health.

_EdCvmLBtH5H2laZjU0NF3rPCQe37-QTjAeaAu5r
Fortunately there is a good choke point

3goEd8v8daTzYAzde8RjC6EhyjkLw2ToPRJsVILB

nice of it to point itself out to me there.

b3fMyGQCOlfl1ZS07f1HsYhElBcvQDeDYcNFQyWK

Lissa starts getting Chrom back into a health range to use that rapier again in the future.

js35cPS92PMWWmmISAs9VWRXAs1B-qOY4do6qD-w

This should draw that archer in close enough for Fredrick to stab him next turn, but first we have another tutorial.

9-vHAaFN2uRDuNAXM_0aZTsEObwt175gs6u5f5Zy

Seeing as all the maps before they start heading towards Regna Ferox happened within days of each other, the travel time between Ylisstol and the Longfort is effectively how long Tiamat has been a Shepherd.

PaR1EqFCgOaIgLUQXzIk--YiHcMpNlf0Hz4hMCJw
I feel like we have already had the support tutorial, but I guess they just unlocked the menu option before.

JMf0RAZWaW5Ax-4SKdjjeStfAt1kt_a3NKfngYQS
I like how they explain supports as basically the power of friendship.

yeheip82ZUOGL_3x0xF1HjD9n-Q-CR2AixokdgpV

Back with the map Virion starts to chip the Soldier protecting that archer

QRjdmeWDlG0UNwCnzxRYi36cD8B4LSpDjwtwsdxx

...or he gets the dual strike for the easy kill.

Uhze0FvuSLfCjUDz9g9Qve5lX7FBn0UIYnPSW_yf

I heal up Fredrick as he will be choking half the point this turn.

ku1kr5FfqaazeGzEazxyRwACFFYLxNReRSJ18iKp

Fredrick uses a precious Silver use to kill this archer faster

oDsqUR_CojlbqScsvBZgn0HSyuf6NSwFfUV8C6Bh

Miriel and Tiamat trade tomes back for higher accuracy on

cRy7sA702u918VA6WaHzy8dsNFiAutBUWCxs62Bq

Miriel's kill on the archer.

uU3I5P7SqbLyGTPSue-bmcMn9RnAHMM56dHNdbtJ
Chrom trade switches Fredrick to save Silver uses.

hzBVIEo9RnRBup-gB3VWE_FSNAg3shkmXV22YlDW

Thanks to that green Kellam tile, Fredrick and Tiamat can hold off the enemy safely.

EbwnHhBLuH0gXUVA_At-u-BFd2QdqLkoZBIhOgAF5xfZu5oMLSGCXLKLwA_vY1IsEXpw2SaN_gcj4S87

Fredrick chips the Soldier

gLt_xeW_-JfcN9a5Z1kmK4ZiEwcvhZFWp8ewEkD_

and gives Virion another kill.

9Af25EWiuI7Ro5G0OhpuNqrYloEBmaN4rvdwWgML

Next Miriel chips the Knight

HXvN-aJf1PrgJjpYYR1aqTBiopowvi8t-FQk990O

for a level that misses both speed and defense.

ukP9HKKTOxfVZ_jyfF-xZT4IiNupxbtij07GwpYT

Lissa finally gets Chrom healthy enough to choke the point

WJUcMxka1pduAif49JSjdAy_3073m5SlkJcsBMdl
which lets Tiamat pull back for the retaliation free Knight kill

XWt-kXye94uJJGj7Vqvf4V02PpEAXF4zsnG-FKtu

and an unfortunately bad level for what I have been using her for. I should probably start getting more sword rank to take advantage of that strength.

0rO-B2FlWMHnoIkT3_kFOtnzpZ7frWx3diqZcK9m

Chrom then chokes the point

eefOTX4D1PLS3StTYArSPnYl_llw1hcJkaLsgwgz
And Fredrick sets up the kill

E8gpaO7MFOconIo1YRd4yDGyFzTHhnqdFjCpxlVi
and Lissa heals Chrom to keep him alive

Hv3nyslzGCSUA3pShUTz3PGuCZcrl26MvjoJyhaL

which proved unnecessary as he kills the last Mercenary

rpdvaqFgcWNEi_bRPG0jjHvM0QjRS-Sv5PPg750K

for a speed level.

Time to finally recruit Kellam

uIApDi7zvMNO0nRbJ1NJT7IoREDPJ9wNUPnBrWtu

Perhaps because you were using Kellam as part of a chokepoint just last turn

OkVeYHhVGEnbK_Uf2cU03fuMzMdIqhJqSepxJgr3

..Kellam has been in plain si-

Ws5HZ_9IJQ-MUH9-IudSdRn_uYPmrwu5LFxba6Qi

EsOOlUptcPgzY2FWGsQ2dv2yYR3dzItRmcjui4ug

He has -

FjCjmQweyIpQFRAZqTEm5uyY9XdZI1H-RdIJl9a3

well, you are now at least, even if you have been taking the jist of my lines.

hHthUDwdZ1tjNJQ7LflfKO0v3clfKMQUmlEMnrFi

I really like how the Feroxi are coded to ignore him; its a nice touch how they integrated that story point (even if it is silly) into the gameplay. Plus it let me use the green Kellam choke point.

06Y5BQaAGnLCKepEOXPRVakZVH1FJkHBzUG6u7KQ

Kellam has enough defense to sometimes survive hits despite his unfixable speed. There might be times he sees some use, as when using pairup and separate, his lower movement is massively mitigated.

With the southern section cleared I will jump to

Ry2E0mQMKPrRMEhGwOHB6EfNSoY-tCIJwk0J8eHB
A solid Lissa healing level she gets preparing for the next section

LzQgMPaNhgkuU9EwHX5oefo6w7sTOCDNfiWT0xwf

and Tiamat getting the first shiny

hgXAV64ygw3m5FLDLXXKStSV4i50RsFyS9ptxN2z

for an item no one has the ranks to use. At least it was free...

0_ZG8vicrM2gZWePIsHPRc_nw3AzWZK8RPjKCoQZ

Time to finally open the door with Chrom's rapier at the ready (note the marked range is an enemy hammer).

IRu7kQnYeJ-MeNa_Fqk7r-zGD-vnKt5elmjpptTh

...That only aggros one unit? Is this game about to let me trivialize this by baiting enemies one at a time into a one square choke point?

KTGpmlDtK1yuBj4bWZZjeC2cuW0eN2D9BEqNamYw

Miriel then sets up

0LgLaWq-3nSVPM1zV6reregRQS7_ncABSKyACuVC

the one damage Sumia kill.

CnCU1hTC2qthtiOvtJb6LHBakpZ3-xSKpj2nVehTZdxr2H51eC1V3Zp3ZBsGN8OvMjuA7HQqAFBOIWcs

Lissa heals Chrom back up before I try baiting the next enemies out.

hsLhd_rLF4a--8IMdCd-_IIylWvw8zGkqY0FcxpS

Hopefully this doesn't set off the whole beehive, as Sully is baiting in a Mercenary.

pTsQG93m00mCNQC8n8YVWmgUx-hb_LRNThcM_zTe

...Oh well, at least I have a solid choke point, but once again it isn't safe until I deal with another threat. In this case either the two archers or the hammer.

fa3_fVwRAQmYmKHVF--SLzlPgaxjktIOXzeMzWeX

I pull back and let Fredrick chip the Merc some more enemy phase. My plan is the strike as this Hammer breaks through the choke point, and hold it with Fred Bear.

zOiOt5MB7vRXW87oyKGpdDK8Cefv3cPX8F6ugSA7

I bungle things a little in the retreat, as

74CADFBMNj5CCmfQD_91hdXTLS5KsdVjzcbxc-OU

Fredrick could use a heal, and Lissa can't take a Merc hit.

vZCnMD8auEcR_0qeSvNnSxlHXZhxImZaV4ilyjmE

So Lissa has to use Chrom's movement to heal him.

Wv_IK0l4uLAO5P9OmZEFghvdzZ82GBr236F3vXoG

Unfortunately I can't let anyone other than Fredrick take the enemy phase kill with that Archer in the picture.

Y3oYrsrxq7kUI54Q3RwMfoMT3fClCCsQEKHW960h

At least Fredrick gets a great level out of it.

TTheqjXMhAHt-CqS3MbwyBaV-Vc6YqDAW_duxoew

Now it is time to strike.

rZiuMt0-ljATUeu_vmTybSNN2WDWv8V1rRPuKL0s

Kellam passes his Javelin off to Fredrick, as he makes the first strike

Rjnd4lKGn0x2WRUY650rP3eePUbsHnn9eVh3rfoc

Miriel couldn't safely make her strike, but at least she lets Vaike get some extra accuracy on his.

cOpZuzxWL--NlfocgN6f1hUpFI0zwl8DxhVe86F2
Then Sumia claims the first kill of the assault

yXbcXXHVFHpFCRscEe09dcgCJXN9rHbjJR1cu1JH

and her first level is amazing. She is going to be useful, if she can just get the levels need to take a hit.

pBq2TmTTW_tVamE7o9xS5r-ib9r6TXym__XqmwiG

Lissa gets an amazing healing level getting Fredrick backing in fighting shape.

Cs3uVvysSUY2MTgnIhFL8EFON1ANpoxSTXVN7i_CzUwMj66471amf5vAoqHM0QMbMzCZ5UTOaOLU5yDj

Now that he is healthy, Fred Bear Javelins the hammer, while blocking up the choke point (while capable of countering the archer).

Ap0h2b5pu3Dfeb61YtfSnCsIQpUqeT8Nm5BwNOZZ

Next Chrom and Virion whittle down its hit points further

sD6oI7Bp9dA6JKeIqRtOIdzql1Z1wWkElzIFEXg8mh6u2XRitj16wzfiM5AHA3iFA_VrrdYhWFRNWAiN

and Virion gets a good level for once.

bwMqLiDXH02nCcjU7j4B3aRSJOl5z_r1FuCX04ML

Finally Tiamat finishes him with a hammer.

NS841qGl78lkvjnCn5FdQ5I5eRFSOpNjgdOm4Yg9

That was a tense section. There were a lot of hit rates in the 70s and 80s (even a 69), and I could not afford a miss.

Ui953RUcq930hon0GZ08ojsv8PKbTC_Fbdjvztnj

We are out of the woods now.

DupgJG0gL3aoqFOTYH9TmyvypihS5BJ66ng-PJIe

...That is a lot of damage to Freddles. Ok time to back up so that next turn my range units can use 3 spaces to turn the space in front of him into a killing field, and then finish off that archer in melee. But first healing.

ZqETlhTbc0zotDPJ3orPi9FKMfPhEhWsVM4bH5ztX8uR_Yuo2-kVbuNuQxTCjDKDiZEuRM7dQAuNLemO

Now I start with Virion

nmfP3_8jDQDTwzDuE8b6TgzumDBaz_O1Md8uxJwN

and he gets the Fredrick dual strike for the kill. Unfortunately the Archer got blocked,

-86UeQA95C9yYoYBv_KC67Yr_pAgMoxFB51wDBiS

but he needs to die, hence Fredrick crippling him with the Javelin to finish him enemy phase.

toBiBGVTn00ZZEXi3vAKEgJylBkNpFkbUjSZTyXe

Finally the Archers are gone so someone other than Fredrick can hold the point. He gets a bit of chip in with a Javelin

aspo9BqT1sBIX0GWmrvvWuZoA73ogUPspT9488oh

But with Virion returning the favor of a dual strike, so

P0p3QaT3wMsgDlzKqy9FqDN_VnAsUw4fFuV96PIj

Tiamat gets the certain kill.

CMru2J4aXp2QvuUJI05Tp1EvPbFAffYU0PUIkq_7

Chrom gets ready to enemy phase chip with the rapier for effective damage. My original plan is to kill with the hammer on Vaike, but looking at the accuracy, it just isn't safe, so time for plan two. Unfortunately two of my main units who can take a hit had to move to set this up (as Tiamat got the hammer as an enemy drop earlier)

7pR2kaZv2AmH3fajcZSBMt6fymrFVDVmJlha0hni

But first plan 1.5 as this is a long shot. Virion gets a little extra chip, but he doesn't get the dual strike, so I will have to setup a unit to tank.

ERINVg2LjENcCnsffv0PSYR8Yqp7whKrQW75UMmH

Sully gets healed by Lissa,

-3HdSN9Jh-QWrdRzrib2TZN88EVr1D0YjdTGn9fm

but she still needs that extra one hp, so she uses a vulnerary.

ZSyPtmqyaw4IQ1irandsF5SmHSQNbspIqVTTHH06

It missed anyway, so I let Miriel get the kill from the safety of range.

With that done the only thing left is the boss, so I will jump to

wU0WqQO920eB_LE8RM3xRLLtb5uoVxH5hg21fSwd
The other shiny space

6LWR0qyXVxTJp8NYpGUUdOV5kNLTw35-12OB7TmC
for some free xp.

RwHUnfYZvcMpd-OLSMx8IrYR856Cr9G64tRSIEfS

The boss has a crit rate, which frightens me enough to enemy phase with Tiamat (as with both support partners near, she doesn't have to face that).

II2dHYq-tLlDv-o0H04Bl7duqV32BZPo7i0cd9GU

It has been a while since the enemy boss quote has been intelligible, but it does fit with the philosophy that would bring this battle about.

xe9C8w-leVzKIwYrLEuhBYdvQtBsDX-NSYe2qofa

Tiamat also gets a solid level out of this, with both speed, magic, and skill (which is getting worryingly low for her level).

ZbcyVWaQV4XPU5t3LrHFFQ13NfXXklsnxkT1hcnT

Thanks to Tiamats position, Fredrick has the crit avoid to chip her safely.

mjneen9yJlB9tHDr4HycjHsMsr3wmEy46TdbEJvL

Now it is time to heal up Tiamat.

OQ4_-K921Uqd-v_N4puk_UnOvAfBW0XeVUykf_u1

Lissa gets an amazing level off of the heal (despite missing speed).

eFtphSPsDGR1nei6DwUP41BjfVtacFWglKEYxj5o

But Tiamat still needs a Vulnerary to get into safe range.

These strats would lead to victory eventually, but a stroke of luck ends things prematurely, as Tiamat gets both a crit, and dual stike to

e47sceGL2v6fx4Z3XQP1RQZSfZqR_8h-2cexQjXo

Claim an early -

nhZ05No9dfG83L6wfwkJ40-jhf7Y9ebHFXdrd6qG

...or not so early victory. The lack of resets made it feel early

Which never seems to sway the hidebound (Ending Story Chapter 3)

Spoiler

kDHkMvgQH7Zsj5SYVHmHzUPT6AEXJPv-KRXW9FAd

That seems a bit unlikely as fire emblem Brigands tend to have more axe wielders, and less mounts.

LzjzhscnILZBJv5_F6ByuDt8F79eeK7UjaXeiW2W

...Seeing how massive the stats are on the enemy Brigands we faced, I can only assume she is complimenting my tactics here. Than again it would be funny to see this dialogue show on a goofball run that used the autobattle feature to win.

7Pp42C2WYrTE2FTVVPRQ583WhCDzxRKKQF-WaoYa

Seems she is going to be a bit of a recurring character, which does bring up a bit of an elephant in the room, the way this battle is non-fatal to the enemies. Awakening did handle this idea a bit better than Fates did for a few reasons. First there is the sense that both parties are in on this being a non-lethal battle for the Feroxi (this battle is about convincing the Feroxi of Chrom's identity, and you can't convince the dead). Second the Feroxi are supposed to become allies, and are not already bitter enemies. Finally the idea hasn't overstayed its welcome, as it is only this chapter and the next (from my vague recollections of Awakening).

r7_UDEJrMQN81kZZ-3C9B0TmiLbcgyPqr8Yr-V3mSCt1SyPTi0M6_jYfkq9i6XSmsPttZxKZMkU7Uga_

Seems Freddy is falling into that whole Barbarian warrior culture stereotype, which seems consistent with the stereotypes of the Feroxi that Ylissians are stated to have. An alternative theory is that Raimi recognizing Chrom as a prince is treating him with the deference due his station. If the Feroxi were as strength obsessed as stated, they probably would have tested the defense of a nation led by a pacifist leader for their perceived lack of strength. I have always found it telling how the origin of the word barbarian shows how discriminatory it has always been. The word comes from ancient greek slang for those that didn't speak greek, as they all sounded like they were making unintelligible sounds like "bar bar"

dwLiPB5sGZSEZaEz_ml4D0CfItDvdh-ej5vJFbky

...sigh, I was kinda beginning to like you Fredrick, but this is getting to be kinda close minded.

OYKlldncMPcTrbyL4MinTzKcV87iefEPJn62VOaVSdr2iGAhlpG5idWGXh1Wb0v_akZu-Ahk1kXJVX1C
I going to take this figuratively and agree, lets get out of here, before my like of these characters freezes over.

JvJsn-4da8KYUHAy5iKHVSsypqs3UBK50NYBVWeR

On a positive note, with the wireless features arrival, so does the option to grind. That it is an option is as merciful as Mother Mila, but with the difficulty level bleeding into the grindable encounters, it shall be as much a testament to Lord Duma.

But Porn seems to permeat all cultures (Supports Chapter 3)

Spoiler

Lets start with the Chrom/Tiamat B support. I should probably think about pairings, but I do not know if I will be able to pull any of the children out of the level deficit they will inevitably start with.

wnOFJw0Bfa_5dOyre5M2tWaxRo-fu-iVmozhBykz

The generic barracks in the background kinda harms the presentation here, as we will see where it takes place is an important part of the support

E_TS0XRsMzpwWfD1vZ2NJ8JlI7cJc5O-K5MwoI_E

But the shouting does make the important point that the characters are distant enough that communication is difficult.

YnzFn6d4JHNb8UfZaQDMqQxKjL-4ixfmgMXKSxjmqVdf1T5MIsxah0lAYtEGmka2aYFcWY_gvY_qjUps

...Not even close to what she said, and steam should probablyly key him into what is going on (and ideally the game should SHOW US THE STEAM, not simply state it is there).

SldI1WEnotTTbz7TkbYwGiMmzM-kjHPpyRUfPQMK0mLFiHtHsykZ6LHAmgd0LaREyqUhbS0vfRNhCKit

ANHkOUajBaxI5zEqoU8UhPWkf9y2pqVxFS5cN5LGkM48ybs4M4quru0-i1xLVISs8mgBdu4VP8Omk6OJ

Chrom is apparently one of the moronically clueless harem anime protagonists

6bXZjZqqggRI9Q5xC9K25UTQd0ma1pa2FmFKVmBvKtT0uyD6Yt_nbKOzisbt0lAgS3yjAn6xP_6zJNwu
Chrom's blushing and stammering is kinda adorable, but the situation is moronic.

tvJnP56mhxwyl0b8n6WlcaOtjfZUTY4Oi2qGETui

...Chrom knew it was a bathing tent, and charged in anyway? Maybe he is a pervy eechi protagonist instead of the clueless harem kind...

37tP43anCnF2LIlEVUU3-Cg-_HJ98qoh3F0201rs

...Knowing this took place in the women's bathing tent makes me doubt that. Also before  it goes away, just wanted to say the Tiamat blush is adorable as well and compliments the previous Chrom one.

OSKQpJG2vC615lq2AJHMOhKkf5yyYU97kunaJ6wp
Your excuse better be good Chrom.

oms8LeYp-mWuwVf8Pn7_dNCmB260__Dpqre3zYD9ku4vu4A0LzlD4oTzVaqSlsfVu77ZTai_S67YzEkjI_uKLEfLtGCGItkyEPBNPRn7YuO6Cv_zrUBwGypr

That's it? Why is this so pressing that you needed to barge into the middle of your tactician's bath?

JQxBj-relxklrrJTKgCYe24umhqp1v-gWJbe4Z8pUpzt5aipIHWm30WIg4sY_0R0pnASxds-1DzoHMuw

This is so contrived.

iPT7lVo-EIT3nYQVIiJhOTrlOK5idCNcLNaa5RsAbm0Y3EtPEfV2Gz5pdhwHuY2SSDuF2SJ-ZqVrVlgB

At least he has the common courtesy to apologize this time.

2NJIXCq972u4GHHhFCmzzVQo3PgDUOURf7-WDIXq

Let's

COUz7YOquQOYVeNe00lkT7VyhUgVcMDYuOSGpocF

...sigh

Hopefully the Lissa Chrom support is more wholesome and less moronic.

1ccPeMmDChuz_WBjCKssOarfWz7NSbJKXi7D1wZF

I feel you Lissa.

xqOsAAZLRGAeGOKwvsvlHMnzBFgun3iAIp6-zBMB

At least they got a bit of the sibling snark right.

gbpaImtxG5WzFkTAJIywuSMimFtHxotYHyx153lV

Duh, although imposter syndrome is common enough that I see where this is going.

Ppfw2ihig4zioBtjrlkXAMKbn5RVeWg5Xb3W6mWt

I like how they portray their sibling relationship, this snarky joking hits the right notes.

GmliETlGlrq8JeyZjIyIuo14P_eMzxy5ejPBnJ7Z
He totally did, but when your sibling leave themselves open like that, how can you not poke fun.

SlQgNYZf5A7MKQLmZisydALnVTiWrRf-t4Jqe2na

Poor Lissa, those are some solid self doubts she is facing thanks to her successful siblings (and she can't see her own value from inside her own self loathing).

FB0dfV8g_D02jNzmW_oJXuQgjf94Pto8bfEzLN1O

Who ever wrote this must have a sibling, as this insulting affirmation of her value is spot on. Now if only they could find someone that has spoken to women before to write the Chrom/Tiamat support.

WyDM_Hfji2vRHOO4_TisJWSbWitGyAqHe0fg7yVJ

His elaboration is both succinct and sufficient.

_p5DIMirx_aVQYKNkKcleAJTU-EVetImt0nIBwAp#

Yep definitely sibling, with that classic half enemy, half friend mixture.

UG6eyIiOwL6YCBUajKwswl_TBVZew8d29Gwn3VTq

But that self doubt beneath the surface is kinda sad to see.

Finally a Freddles and Chrom support

UKbI4hU6FzDHa3RKl8arIh-zrD1ersl19kVthifF5UksCoz8Mo63H_mglzOP4UE0f5e__YXEgckO7VeR

You don't have to take on everything by yourself... Oh who am I kidding, he practically does one Lunatic.

w4nmAccS2Z8EXWw5SP2pt5c-iUOstt57y2YYYzl6
Chrom, workaholic behavior isn't healthy, and shouldn't be encouraged. Perhaps this is crunch culture from the games industry seeping into their work...

cKpmnKFOkLXHOI9OFQiVpkAibel5joa2dORUNfCdDnqmHh4v-7B4uAkWlmUQMPmrqtqYtInQQvAwm14Z

I wouldn't have expected Fredrick to have such a solid fashion sense, but with

z0NZOj5OcW5ZCwsu0Gs1CeOn57OLc9U1_iSJ5ZtZ
blue as the player's color this is for the best.

JxngbkfPxh7C75gd4fV_NeEH2gBv-ZeK9EET0BOo

I seem to remember Fredrick more being an Oifey, but if he turns out more like a Jaigen this could be them setting up a great gameplay/story moment with him burning out after overuse.

yfnYiZncq39pMWm6SLae1Wp9_PrCIH6FCmusnQ1IlC8CZ0BDyGd3Gku3n8LFjZww46i8gwhZYDAKLQtR

I am tempted to call this karma, but am also a little weirded out by how obsessed these supports are with nakedness. I guess they have to setup those supports somehow.

aI-emReXn9fTGAD2_-Q53_JwiVoFovpcAv4SlsS2

I am tempted to just put an image from a simple "Chrom Wants You" google search, but those would probably break whatever lewd content rules this site has.

hCVQZgxYHXvvHu0igRzFtTz9TZp3XHqZfAuROeb_

...That's sexual harassment.

PIkyOacsJDzxCH6pEKLvBLueVDaMNU1R06SKd5Gm

Yeah, you cut the gay subtext here with a knife.

rB5PiIp1k0vt4QW3HnXycIL0fBmrJ5WrNUl-uBxcKIw6Fuca7fNCWg5Vm2H7kdDO3be9laGHHTSzV5Os

I guess Fredrick wants everyone to have Chrom images in their -

shJAJr7oTbblBIDWTkLuv0r1E5iUSc0rHnzhSbfe

Good luck Chrom. Than again the internet isn't around yet, so you have a chance.

I think I will have to add a section for a quick report on grinding. The only images I have from the grinding is the stats page from those that gained levels, and supports earned.

• 1 year later...

This has been dead for a while. My last computer died when I had an update for this chapter almost complete, and while I had the images for this chapter backed up online, I didn't for the next chapter, which I had already completed. Now I have been rotating this game between two saves so I was able to go back and complete the next chapter a second time for more images, but the whole process was very disheartening, and I got distracted by other things. Fortunately for this LP, the two main reasons I started this never really went away, first finding this game unmemorable enough that I wanted to get a better understanding of it through analysis, and being curious about the hypothetically completable run of a Lunatic difficulty, effectively no pairup run. Plus multiple things have come up that reminded me that I wanted to start this LP up again, although it will probably be updated at a slower pace than I tried for before, as I have other things (LPs included) that I want to do.

The toilsome cost of grinding (Grinding and Supports Chapter 4)

Spoiler

So the first grinding session was against a group of thieves that parked themselves on the shop that gives out the first round of tonics. All the thieves have capped speed, so defense was the more important than speed for once. Only Fredbear and Kellem were able to take a full round of combat against a thief, and unfortunately there was an undead of some sort that was less speedy, but could one round Kellum. Freddles did most of the work, but I managed to feed a few kills to people on enemy phase by killing after taking the first hit, or nabbing one from range. I also earned a speed wing, which I have no idea how I will use. By far the most important thing is Freddy and Chrom got just enough speed that "Marth" no longer doubles them, and I can access the tonic shop. Here are the stat pages from everyone that gained any levels from that map battle

ACtC-3fxyKstnvq8QK_YsA8SucNNe9Iejx_U4DkVACtC-3elWULIaN8i3AS4FmIXDhSjF6YbxtpR1rOSACtC-3fb_Tl8myGWnGKhEolU1n3FzctdB6m4Up_HACtC-3c8uYKv8JIwZys7swqDNsRwqJcIkNqX1AYKACtC-3clOjXyk7K_aGynRN7XKxQ9H4VTdBE_pgG1

and we even got a pair of supports out of it.
ACtC-3cihkgn31HailceV5zjyrESa0SLTe-Z2Pg5

She missed her chance on the chapter proper, but here comes her first support on the grinding map.

ACtC-3cPworHXWrnEcW3wcE1H-jtWve5ZZAUkT7HACtC-3cDvL7k2Aa0AAgDRLMFOjTVNsCNqF25sBUX

Youch, the poor girl is playing messenger for her rival in love.

ACtC-3fzx-YW9HC5_eHKXBji61opjpj0jZu6iv6X

...I think one of the writers had a typo, as clumsiness is Sumia's personality quirk.

ACtC-3eyulSJH0UhDZfRj_D45l44IaklgrOsbCHJ

I hope this isn't me just projecting, but it feels like there has already been a workaholic warning in earlier supports. Is this an underlying theme I have never noticed in the piece? I suppose the marriage/support mechanics could be a way of hinting at a way of maintaining a healthy work-life balance. Was there major crunch on this project that some of the writers felt the need to vent in some of these supports?

ACtC-3cYkxseFaF1LXWSyNwny4k9K7ppeF-qjZ3d

Now they emphasize that finding this work-life balance isn't just a personal problem for Chrom. I know I keep mentioning it, but soul crushing levels of crunch is so ubiquitous in the video game industry that its hard not to see these as warning about the dangers of crunch.

ACtC-3fXoRu532qKZEjK5haRu-cSwJ-HBKaBy8r0

Of course she spins him acting normal as him doing something special for her. She is crushing so hard on him.

ACtC-3dJGe2eN0HyVEPilVow0Dzqvt3ve7aksZnF

The only one carrying extra burdens on this run is Fredrick.

ACtC-3eb1GRqzzjplHUSQndbWVzlbz_o-AedIahnACtC-3d1E4lzawP5e5WA-1AcP3JSTVnKEG0cRon3

Silly Chrom, Fredrick isn't the commander, either you or Tiamat are. You have shown plenty of weakness, but when/if Fredrick does, that is when we will be in trouble

ACtC-3fpTm1t15YL-wMd5ZiMVZPuNSSk6tREJvJj

...uh oh, is this one of those we have a (pointless) secret which makes us closer sorta subplots starting up here.

ACtC-3fQZ23H4hTtadyFhx7jYj2UHDzi8oiLYbiL

I mean her first scene involved her worrying about you Chrom. She is a little obsessed with you in that way. At least she isn't as overt or over the top about it as Faye.

ACtC-3dni9VZNt_WSmEfyYZ3WhynhQyfN2HMoBbw

...well this is Lunatic, so like two battles without healing is too much for every non-Fredrick at this point.

ACtC-3fsOcaP9kdLWbwrR69cPJ1-jLvFhdmt8I-n

Is Fredrick invisible to these people?

ACtC-3dkdyrhLlpP9ObgzN5wOxAUW1rMkHBD2NP7
...this game is so anime that even half remembered knowledge of the tropes made this a bit of an obvious move.

ACtC-3fG6_7In-9JF6r_o6oo4jw7iOd3ND4q_9El

Wait why is she bring up a Fredrick joke here... is she projecting the actions and mannerism of Fredrick onto Chrom or something. I guess that would explain why she thinks Chrom is so great, she sees Fredrick and somehow thinks of Chrom.

ACtC-3ej6zgH8iiTfZh8UBE4IhFlhIRYdcoVzgt0

On the one hand I want to reprimand her being a Morgana, but rest and relaxation is an important part of maintaining a healthy work-life balance, which keeps coming up in these supports, so I will let it pass.

ACtC-3fXwmiqZFKQRiLHEyvLIglNK9fPHFWT8CV_

Just look at that smile, she would love to tell Tiamat that Chrom is blowing her off.

ACtC-3ePT4lThjYpVJ4BGV2rbYg_Pguu1igDwXH0ACtC-3cBJnvpdb03LCYmfKjz_XszJUKLAcxBR6kNACtC-3d6dXFcZSuPTLnA2DLOqq49UFPmQTupjgxT

Fairly weak blackmail, but it works as weird flirtatious banter in a slightly creepy way.

ACtC-3cE-kvvjZE8vKuNARJjBvbp2HGWW5m2v4G_ACtC-3c48XMau43xZqO3nIgcEolW-3IMjfHEvyQr

Little over the top there Sumia.

ACtC-3dUNLzsxS0Y-ZCnxG2iVp9Ip-ES9Rwy0Zcu

...Oh blessed Naga, he likes this slightly stalkery attention doesn't he...

Now for the other support I unlocked
ACtC-3cIY30cx2VERxZ8M7y7nWqGEevy__gKYKvq

Funny that it starts with just Miri-

ACtC-3cPFRY2tuOqnmDp4dvrjq77WpOGD7vnkZnG

AHHHhhhh... oh, its just a Kellam. Honestly if you aren't staring at that guy he just disappears.

ACtC-3c1IvHX0pYoqrSi6-MtN7b9Lz5JsjluebEOACtC-3dE16-8PEMkqRVDp1pqToYB1PzYJpcoBdzb

See she gets the old Kellam jokes. Its fun to have someone play it so straight.

ACtC-3claG07-A1lB5IlMipduXpcYNJhYsLpv8rO

I do like Miriel's curiosity, and I get the feeling she is a bit underappreciated by many fan of this game

ACtC-3cnPC5cT0b-M08SgEmTIen4W7bkM7y_upKfACtC-3e2UUJCMqUOKk-gyS0VHPGiV-fhwjasmVQUACtC-3c_mCfRR9r9QVBuXZr7hM68pgxR0l_SYOPX

Alright you are killing the joke a little Mirirel. Lamp-shading is rarely as good of writing as people act, and beating a dead horse with a lampshade is even worse.

ACtC-3d86E0fUkwisr_BgLJiKcHRphfNiZfCZ_--

To be fair this is a literary trope that is well established, and in normal situations probably would be a good explanation.

ACtC-3ciu3ZPU6Ogdv1e6ALPXoLBKJAMgeRRxd5E

Ouch, that is harsh.

ACtC-3cgxUx7Y_Lgyzsox2eo-sCg3Wu8yh4ulpvYACtC-3feZqurZ1GhMx6OOgiXS1zI6_k1onK9x4Nj

Nice to see one of these creepy "romantic" moments treated as such.

ACtC-3feT-S8iOPc0iwgRJ4kZftq_RZ3ez9-9uvOACtC-3dT9PAdm5IoxoADotMaN5pvjGV3B1sx-hsc

Well... that has got to be somebody's kink.

ACtC-3duNCizNeSGimjxOykmqZo5CNQaL3dPX9hj

If you say so...

...What can I say, I kinda like history (Opening Story Chapter 4)

Spoiler

ACtC-3d9rGYjMpK6rrKkjZrsF3bGD2GmAGnDADlH

Its a shame they didn't remember about Alm's Falchion, as there should be another...

ACtC-3fIjHy9bfyb99xDeJDGHuA1rYsCGoc93YLg

I have already mentioned how naming the leaders khan is clearly meant to evoke the Mongol Empire (or at least one of the states it split into during succession), but I want to emphasize a bit about why I think evoking this idea was a bit clever. Just like the way the Ylisseans treat the Feroxi, the Mongols have the reputation of barbarians despite a lot of indication of progress and civilization.They united the largest land empire in history, ushering in a staggering era of peace, and progress along the silk road, often called the Pax Mongolica, and were famous for having a lot of religious tolerance, and meritocracy for the time. On the other hand they were brutally destructive against those that resisted their conquest, with the Western Xia so thoroughly and systematically destroyed that little evidence for their entire civilization is left, the population of modern Iran dropped so low that it didn't fully recover until the mid 20th century (to be fair the black death didn't help their recovery any), and the House of Wisdom, the great library of Baghdad, which was the greatest repository of the knowledge created and accumulated in the Islamic golden age, was so thoroughly destroyed by the Mongols, that it was said that the Tigris ran black with ink of the books, and red with the blood of the scholars.

ACtC-3dABt7EGZN7R1d66QVPUGG4vhd9NWjORSJu

Although now I am reminded of the Romans, a civilization just as warlike, but without that baggage of supposed barbarism. One of the main reasons why is the requirement for military service and expertise in the advancement of Roman politics, with the lowliest elected position requiring 10 years of military service to be eligible for. I am particularly reminded of an anecdote about Gaius Flaminius from the second Punic war, where he was too afraid of being bogged down by Roman politics that he left to lead the armies before even the official rituals that would confirm his consulship.

ACtC-3eIj-viz6U81323bBpluPoV8SUVzQovxh_M

This comments feels especially silly, as war is politics. A state does not commit the kind of resources needed for battle without a political motivation.

ACtC-3fwzmnR67qen_SgXguIXq8hH0mongStLlLwACtC-3dKWXIz-RaWJNKafH6JhWx_qbMOmWcwJL3fACtC-3cdjq944YcWbrZOFPgoYglfByiFCI4bd0_f

This moment of sexism from Tiamat feels especially flat with a female avatar.

ACtC-3dAw5bsNZIEPbZL1U7FTM2FUwi8vZZiKAN1

Although the Chrom-Tiamat support makes Chrom's surprise at the Khan's gender entirely believable.

ACtC-3eUT1PzLVLOGd7HmQszcvmMmWISXHDByYGc

Sorry for how much into history I am getting with this, but I see both the empires I have mentioned hinted at here, not only is the East-West split in Rome Empire that came into being during the third century crisis, but also the way Ghengis Khan split his empire into khanates for each of his sons with Ogedai as the heir for the empire as a whole. Admittedly the East and West Feroxi have more the feel of the Mongol version, as the two Khanates have one overall ruler, whereas the East-West split were more independent.  

ACtC-3efTvL99f-fqr2Fp24AxbHGqlIsZhLYPcim

I wish there was a different line if someone died in the previous chapter, but I doubt it. At least a quick check on the main site shows no mention of a variable line here

ACtC-3cfGhtcG-uZmFIBwxM7tOdSAmaqVoMDsGNaACtC-3d1t1unFO8XhAnt1eC7BbjA2BpNIZDsuvyoACtC-3f8HKx5-c2cDAXLxd_kKFec8w9vmyc4f9mR
So many questions. What did these bandits do to impersonate Ylisseans? Why would they have damning evidence proving they are Plegians on their person? Why couldn't the Ylissians give raiding forces forged, or stolen documents "proving" they were Plegians to push the Feroxi towards friendlier relations with Ylisse?

ACtC-3fwal_1tiJaFn-V6OMuwCuFzkp0iZTjPeCw

The obvious answer is to prevent an alliance like this from happening (or forging one of their own), or if its actually Ylisseans like postulated above, help create an alliance.

ACtC-3eXXsd4T6CdiZlZUOWp1aQrwinAklczv2ayACtC-3csExElxTyg0JPvSp2eIcFSPqFRPpC_Zluw

I like to read this as a moment where IS makes clear that they are moving past the basic bad word censorship of old. RIP Dastard, your venerable and lovable use to disguise bad language in Fire Emblem games will be missed.

ACtC-3fyOo1avnSRitTdWree8VZqKDZQjdT5oHveACtC-3fts1i4uXUW-yaIQmoq5xo5Mby1CLnfl-9F

I do kinda like this little moment where it seems like this whole thing was a waste of time, and the heroes are on their own, but...

ACtC-3e50OKG4vQg8Sm9-SuPS416xSGwggLH38Jm

...Then why aren't the heroes talking to whoever does have that authority?

ACtC-3fqP1bu9byKRJakkw4bUL0GpMED1DMG8bYgACtC-3cNKBlVKy-SAnB990Fdh1-MAwmkqHCO0qwxACtC-3elxTRq6THq1xafPxOeN3dbgAlWYXlBV25NACtC-3fVG6xt47cOBdq9YjBqD5U5thVYswJHxZL2

Its interesting that the overall leader of the Feroxi (I will call them the Great Khan until the game gives me a better term), has a term of office. I wonder how the East and West Khan are chosen...

ACtC-3fR0OgpY0fyOCc_p8kiK0dOqooiPuyLVp3gACtC-3dEeEvvCUcnpmMlf33dqCHgYkQJzowrFu-RACtC-3cD2hMCKUjiGRPZ6QluAaIH8FNoNEVpq7lWACtC-3ef4j760ak5KFV5erPFjRN11WvQy7aHsLz2

If Flavia weren't taking advantage of the situation to coerce Chrom into making her the Great Khan, she might have bothered to introduce us to the West Khan who could have granted him the alliance he needs...

ACtC-3eXFpVK4rdRyJ84a0UgIiCpaFAwKaxrO4cS

Now that is a bit dense of Chrom, what she is hinting at is fairly clear (although admittedly contrived to make a FE map happen...), but I guess she is going to have to spell it out for him.

ACtC-3dnw9Bo_v0eRSFlUQonar8XQQtoafvM9ISE

That Flavia doesn't know/use Raimi's name is kinda sad. I guess her time being relevant to the story is at an end.

ACtC-3ccFgedWrhgSpJQtALvGaP8AhUkv99s5quy

Ok, I guess Chrom had a reason for being so dense, as using foreign intervention to gain the throne would have some serious consequences to it, if it weren't for

ACtC-3dYTAign8HwbtwAZdAJoC8Kdm--FHTgPRC1ACtC-3ftZ9NR3m-Cxq0yuB6IV4pF9789cMpa3QYFACtC-3dQ2xNIDXiMmD3JGVtU2SddcFVVnC_6klZYACtC-3c3tEF4hoR8PCHaKbQHtRKSIA3zERrNS1s2

their strange system for deciding government. Now I do see some of the logic here, presumably it started out as a way to show military proficiency without the full scale destruction of a civil war. As the need for military expertise became less necessary (perhaps due to the success of the great wall in deterring their "civilized" neighbors to the south from invading) the concerns about avoiding blood feuds, and lost kinsmen became a greater concern(although it was so entrenched in tradition that it remained as the means of deciding the Great Khan). Additionally the shift to using outsiders made it more about judging the ability and character of foreigners, and how effectively a Khan could negotiate to secure the support of the most skilled warriors, making it more a test of their ability to exert their will in foreign affairs.

ACtC-3cNwlq7hniN6n4RNG-k8ku_1yS1WMhfASS9

Then again, I think this does emphasize that having Chrom be her champion is a dangerous precedence to make, which justifies Chrom's reaction a bit.

ACtC-3faJo7vqgD3MzKGTza8NRVn5hzV8RJ9P5LvACtC-3dgAslmq9FBufVxWXHZfuiSVoMtCy_-eYcT

Well, really the Plegians, as the Risen are simply for filler chapters, random battles, and being entirely pointless and out of place.

ACtC-3eSu1q9YeuiyV7g8RJteANqtaCChN7ig4Nm

I guess we did need to have a battle somehow...

ACtC-3fSLFWemM7KhPZw0E5LMoa3MTLZ8hEtfW9S

Them pointing out that this might be fatal feels especially weird considering that I know his opponent will survive this duel

ACtC-3fQ9jum7Nv_qUzz7Lw859DKaAS3JHHDGGF-

Well seeing as this is Lunatic, she is going to be far superior to everyone (while she is an enemy at least).

ACtC-3eCLXIE_bTOEDuRihYaGQyZCCzSibx8qWhD

The dramatic irony here being that Lucina would have secured the alliance for Ylisse without Chrom. Its one of those nice and subtle ways that they reinforce that central and defining theme of the piece, that fate is inescapable (but alas it ultimately gets abandoned in the end to force a happy ending down everyone's throats, but that is a long time to come...)

skip 2

The problem with the soft numbers... (Battle Chapter 4)

Spoiler

Now for an important bit of prep luck, an Anna managed to supply the tonic shop with one of the best things it could have

ACtC-3c9xZ7hZcB8-9S1QQwVupURUy6nwWRwIW2K

an HP tonic, and together with a defense tonic, fielding Sumia isn't suicide.

ACtC-3cG_ZMtBio80XQKtLF4jQFWEq-2nH1KHgHk

The small number of deployment slots makes the numbers on this chapter a bit tight, as I only barely have the actions I need every turn.

ACtC-3f3g1_5fnLyu9SqC1_1AQDbg2_KZfCJ-w3_

Sorry Lissa, I spoiled that it was going to be "Marth"/Lucina a bit before the story shows up.

ACtC-3dgLkjiCvKXMrKfVIuBiMXmiaPevggNTMuAACtC-3cCCMb1GCTrL8PuFUScqQjRuKp8y65Xjowv

Well at least this "sword talking" takes place in cutscene land where nobody gets hurt.

ACtC-3cAsgycCInMtT8sjJ2SvcqmQi4HR-18rERZACtC-3fV1aEb0wALRrarpJ-qR7WEhyyBAqCbCnKTACtC-3ej4HbcMsAGOUl1wryG0exeYduGwstjuBOgACtC-3e2oIqrUInB6NW--feQuSFUJIb-JheWLF86

I do kinda like how they really mirror eachother in this passing clash, to emphasize the similarity between their techniques

ACtC-3cI0aQA_6OJ2noiJVPkIjOqYpWJUOnjgkF4ACtC-3etRuW0gY93ZOxDFAFQT8MnPbN7-C2ifz4t

Although the Aether flip thing is kinda ridiculous...

ACtC-3fz598XOKTx27UTRzFG5oXel6So7Dr7hpD-ACtC-3fwQq3cxIED9zi2rgiqSgIaEfV7VqcD3l-L

In some ways good advice, but the way they are timed to approach us that isn't much of an option

ACtC-3cbapdgQV7sFswxUUeJJwvh6kf3EVmyIhYP

In many ways this chapter is rather frustrating, as I don't have the extra actions to spare on being less aggressive with almost any of my moves

ACtC-3eyVfEKM9UoaMbt1ZazQOv_nE0lohJlrkgTACtC-3dqbctUsgmGdn7mkCJbfOj0qdkV44I2_mq8

and the hard numbers are so tight, that I can't afford a miss

ACtC-3f12zCAlpIvWV0F08psXypOrt_GNXt3ANDw

unless it gets compensated for with an unlikely dual strike (like Tiamat will squander here for the kill). The accuracies I am seeing this chapter aren't terrible, but with so many 80s to 90s you are bound to see a miss in there at some point (or Naga forbid a single digit crit), so I had a few resets, and getting the extra hit from attacking adjacent (not to mention chance to dual strike) to allies became a critical part of my tactics throughout this chapter.

ACtC-3dHy5M7UE8hhMIQwR77jXkVYLA2FZ5FRYkcACtC-3c_dm35BolB14Dg8VIjkizOhSfQSp7Yag0c

Fortunately, due to the enemies going for damage over survival

ACtC-3e9OqcCQp5U0N3Y9fX8-znD03BhYMBVCFH3

we get some enemy phase chip on the mages

ACtC-3eBOff7m_iMnohNAdPJH2cvN3J8NMPGotx_ACtC-3dgw0bJCcEneTk8BBCArObzmTDriMqRP0AsACtC-3d_OC2i1vq8Q_VCLTuGdPy2-I0dckQmZDUz

I kinda regret how much of this is Sumia setting up kills instead of getting them, but the hard numbers are just too tight to budge so easily. Also the Miriel level is excellent.

ACtC-3fTVCoDpG6TVinMtHC6BOTJhZsnglx6cRBTACtC-3dpeDknuIJX-oEl0FgQAcrHaOHoN-wdnLDQ

Fredrick gets in position for his effective damage enemy phase hit so Tiamat can reach 100 hit on this attack. I also want to point out that these guy's crit can be boosted by randomly having the focus skill

ACtC-3dR1lBvOg_zPBBT4to4w8hclt6RIDrWTPTZ

On the one hand she managed to miss both Magic and Defense, but its so hard to complain when you proc everything else...

ACtC-3clGci2rsOj9ZoWpUww8zr58MW6TJVyi2dP

ACtC-3f6I3n8rfe9I4_ERq1mPZuKlnB5IG_ObN7I

That should let me deal effective damage to both of the armored knights coming in

ACtC-3ckWZUeM2YQoFjIces9wOX7VZEZKTsFU1fQ

Fredrick even nabs the enemy phase kill

ACtC-3deBMTr1xraG3vIuUmPBXWZ_5GEgrUMt_Wa

Unfortunately Tiamat has to stay in enemy phase next turn to grab this kill, but

ACtC-3dNAHvH4gxZZ4_0U-TRY9IbaVdJpHYrIxJ9

that should be enough to keep her alive.

ACtC-3dYoFgiP5fYNSuY6KAqmAB4JQ2PEbck5GO_ACtC-3dxAVsSoWugdE8K7lTRPdGfzPMkxWE0ssyZ

Unfortunately the enemy will be getting a free attack on enemy phase thanks to the 1-2 range these jerks have, but Fredrick can take it, and it should buy me some time to deal with him.

ACtC-3cF2jBg1VHdkNW4eofx4M3cSNrwgLxypkwj

Chrom manages to get this solid level on the enemy phase dual attack

ACtC-3e1L1v8Pg9ONV1ogaLuwy5LzDzMR3jzLwFG

but "Marth"'s advance has threatened me into retreating

ACtC-3c2oyevYp1K3pJVgA9gldQrYEVIXxKtvOq4

but first I have to take out the one that Fredrick distracted

ACtC-3eekWiZ3f4HrAKdpZ9tyF4v2C64UatALkh3#

The strength is really nice for her (also unlike most attacks, Fredrick has the extra action to grab the kill if she had missed)

ACtC-3c_vCBfzOucgKj-VmHWFmHyeilOJ7VWEYcbACtC-3dPRS37OT_EcY3K5r3vDGElIxV8SXXuqODi

Tiamat heals up enough to grab some more enemy phase chip while fleeing this last axeman.

ACtC-3e5UskzDt0NmqoFq04t-2NEUFAlSw0cGWnJ

Lissa gets a solid levelup out of the healing as well.

ACtC-3fgy9HAu8CS84dgl5bNUTkjYcu4qW64duBw

Fortunately everyone else can pair-seperate out of enemy range.

ACtC-3fl4wBqvb-MxM25dWQz1v4DnBF6hG02wC1ZACtC-3ch_d6FTJEQw1mdKmHjl9vRsDKuTUsfJ9WI

Another dual strike keeps me from having to repeat that same basic tactic for a second turn, which leaves just "Marth"

ACtC-3eeqIJc7Ns5DNMCXvS6M-7OQR6LeYVXMPYAACtC-3fZpOHeKa2VU-hcvRANU389tRcqORytMZdu

I heal Fredrick, so even if "Marth" crits it wont be fatal as he chips with the carefully preserved Silver Lance. To be fair I do have an easy way of cheesing my way into getting another with the bonus box teams.

ACtC-3eGnCybk-duBcKXZYfVZyveXJ82XiZQyybe

Seeing as my next two attacks are going to be ranged attacks that she can't counter, I may be breaking that promise a bit, but I wanted to chip her enough for Chrom to get the final strike

ACtC-3dlwsW5VpfOaGZS2Me0GitYbsLDqEJjvUN3ACtC-3d6X0xNHfi3O_d666Oolt9q5GPCnfD05Cxe

...sigh, Tiamat never gets the kinda levels I want does she. Oh well, that strength is nice, on the ocassions I use a physical weapon.

ACtC-3e3IXv2BWMqYjbJl9ZVvGJj8HckzcHmr_BKACtC-3e0iTulT8jxMoJWBC8QjF6CTG49ovPmWSzr

and then Miriel ruins the Chrom kill plan thanks to a Fredrick attack stance. Honestly I should have played that a little safer and had Fredrick chip on enemy phase so he could grab the kill in an emergency, but

ACtC-3fY9Leu8KmVMAb0J2Ev1XoaLHDsNMiki7dJ

all is well that ends well.

Better left for the external materials, only people too invested to care will find(Ending Story Chapter 4)

Spoiler

ACtC-3dC7wVIpvM9JCVqdeivuG7h1Mf1NIMwVqWBACtC-3eb4C9Tx-FWW60IcitdtXAPXmDEgX289E-OACtC-3dg4VMhCUgQUrlUq76O0cBXikVrlJJOSfTE

Seeing as Lucina's whole trunks plan involves saving Emmeryn (for now) those troops were never really in doubt.
ACtC-3evj_tzOpNmEWNVcwJgHNlD8k3YFB572d1S

This vague statement makes me wonder how long Flavia and Basilio have been the East and West khan, and by extens-

ACtC-3cNzUWqpzmyYho2Q0Q_13sNryCrVdk5253dACtC-3fYYsfIIIT6YZSzzl01UKNkhqzZvu5olVUp

Oh right, we haven't actually meet Basilio yet

ACtC-3cguzX7zp17VZ9E2ZuV4n6ofjd6rDoVvBXT

That sounds so antagonistic, for someone I remember as a fairly solid ally. Then again a big part of the reason I began (and continued) this LP is due to how little I feel like I remember of this game.

ACtC-3fqmgt8eHFfhAZFkhUq2ndx9TBXeF0U10JK
I mean you did, we just had better teamwork, and the power to retry until things stopped going wrong...

ACtC-3coZc12MtS3A6sj5CvexvQdS05ghDF_dZGNACtC-3fx8nGYOB7THrw_iEFmxzpUpmCwtYPgzLMd

I love how dismissive Basilio is about "Marth", it literally made me laugh.

ACtC-3e2xYh6slkrDPXS4zcbulCy8-izNQ5k8qsa

I seem to remember there being some kinda outside material indicating that what really took down Lon'qu was him realizing "Marth" was a girl due to an accidental boob brush...

ACtC-3e7EXWPH7Dqcho18Zph7iFmcWwhpcYXTrhg

Seeing as everyone is still using male pronouns and masculine names, I guess that makes Basilio Bi. Too bad he is a straight only Robin-sexual in the gameplay department. Also he is apparantly supposed to be old, I guess.

ACtC-3enT6BKmu-63kSlWUV0JH846QAHPv5mBiV8ACtC-3cQCCXC95cWwFIHbAfgJo6rcgjWs7mhf68T

I am giving Lissa a pass on the FE incest jokes under the Star Wars exception.

ACtC-3ff3MbJayOh0fnpaSfUjdpJrp_j58NvK1zxACtC-3cv7RhKYeAmY8l4aOwG3P_JJX4qFqG1h5MJ

Definitely, but also secretly your niece, so reign it in girl.

ACtC-3dGvtZlLbyBZdBX6ACiMbhJ0JwD7wKQiUV6ACtC-3dl7uX-Q1_tULLiQqwUIAC0VWQmxpaLJBOf

It's kinda cute to see Chrom get kinda defensive and awkward about his sister's sexual attraction to the mysterious young stranger that saved her.

ACtC-3cPA1mPg4ieK3rSbs_KiWmnHFCrusccKENkACtC-3ctzQ2RD3rEophU32FkDAt4QuvxUnIv7UA1

Feddy is clearly sick of this high-school romance drama, and he is right, this isn't a support where we can tediously faff about, but the story section, where stuff should happen.

ACtC-3co_NvAXkYEDSyIXGnLvT0Joy9okgZeazu9

A free killer sword, you shouldn't have.

ACtC-3cHfiRLrGK5I30mXo7E-2t78fwP6LgPu92GACtC-3f84VvDfYQOfTdTifpaJ9CUmlgdXuYQoS7O

Also Lon'qu.

ACtC-3epO2m0mIz_nf0WWGJqCkx7hyQkCOJYtTHL

Of course the killer sword myrmidon has to be a stoic killer.

ACtC-3dTckZRIBP9enjxDNYrmHvg3QgyLCZ-lqFsACtC-3f22sxt701O2dkPpi2Vsa48EYZIk6x2tAUh

Combination of his gynophobia and accident anime boob touch...with how dumb that looks written down, it is probably a good thing that got cut from the actual game, and had to be saved for some cringy external material.

ACtC-3cL6KfbtkBpLgHmXz_sDYWSSFYH-SUOq-XT

Lon'qu looks big and strong? Did they not have the character concept down before writing this? I mean he's not a tiny wimp, but big and strong are not his defining character traits...

ACtC-3cLvFpVGeHcxpHjMlKEmLUqhqMDLmexhiuHACtC-3cfUGkGPUPxq084bqnntQsvwE9ixFNPsImFACtC-3eMoS_z-g9cZ8wxiPUZ0k4PvDLeRH30bsi9

To be fair his gynophobia is a unique character trait to distinguish him from the likes of Navarre, but is also a little dumb.

ACtC-3cH8npwBsxCoQhKZjWQP0SoF-bfGUoael_7

This makes it sounds like Khan isn't an inherited title, but some form of appointed, or elected one...

ACtC-3dLMP_1HvnJoHBazXeAob19huq9oCa-kUId

...So a single warrior is all we are getting out of this alliance? From a gameplay perspective that seems fair, but that sounds out right ridiculous in all other contexts.

ACtC-3fgGGH3eJXnvpDHWDb4oCc0GLXdZNeJejkvACtC-3fMmaKaJWOCWD32wWiy47mY8uqBVABL7CHc

...cringe....

ACtC-3f_3nEoYUGDty9hVJTjdbaRgrkBVwAZrb_k

I do like that they show us moving to where the next bit of story takes place.

ACtC-3eaNftaPnIi_eZ84F7mTQqST89GDR3uWdLNACtC-3dFO_K3hx-ClJtuMI1oZIKvlwdGS27_XbGo

Fortunately they keep the recap sho-

ACtC-3f-QUspM84vd1ETw5fPXb0rvoVxgahYxeVtACtC-3c4-VgkCuVrHUjR_ixeONZpdJqbiladhcgW

before we are cut off with an invasion! Time for the Plegian arc to really get going

ACtC-3fxb7w226SWP3xqcWv-93crTFnxODn1LpLdACtC-3fsAW3cEpRt-CIkuAOxPIi2dC9g4I4K-J0E

I like that they introduced Maribelle before she became so plot relevant, as it makes this feel a bit more personal for the player, to give you an appreciation for the personal stakes for Lissa (and Chrom...maybe?)

ACtC-3eO7DcQcARbMxMbNT_hzvkcnyEN8EpU6hVmACtC-3eXfGPaoBpmXUADVOm0890RETUG36fID-vB

This has the ridiculous feel of people claiming Trump had his election stolen, after all of the blatant voter disenfranchisement the Republicans attempted before the election...

ACtC-3dDFG3MNaghM9N6LLyup7_sD7PStHYbNYJy

The man has clearly done nothing bit lie to you (OK, OK, I will stop with the Trump is Gangrel jokes...sorry, its still so close to the election...)

Also I can't help but appreciate being wrong about dastard being gone.

ACtC-3c4O-cfijZnP-GVPzioP2EKbb2WHiwXZWc7ACtC-3f75rsANEQpicMl8xy4RyAI2mGqHOCI_HsLACtC-3cgHXkV_EBW-U8C4OPd7y3_oD87gpUjG4FDACtC-3cphvB-BPfABekkQkOy2f6mTtzhLZs3-STT

Chrom's hotheadedness is getting the better of him, as stabbing Gangrel in the gut will get him the war he wants, and it will drag the continent into a very bloody war of vengeance. Think back on WWI and its simple start as the assassination of the heir of the Austro-Hungarian empire...

ACtC-3fX5AVxbQJn9nCGZpTDRsiwA8ETa__bkKMlACtC-3eivixYN2E4VRwSxTLsALyLtvT-E-eA6CWM

You do need to show the Plegians that there are consequences to actions like this, but it can't be something that would create such a justified war. Even using Maribelle's rescue as a justification for an invasion would be less disastrous than assassinating the Plegian monarch.

ACtC-3eeXWpSNc8-zZXZhQirZuExKfqOwTimUb1fACtC-3eV8enVvXkWfN-5w2AwXoGjaX9Obk-G0wTQACtC-3fUBjPn5_YA2DKgK3fvWp29NcjLG1zBoGBr

I think this is the first mention of their father's war on Plegia, although they are still trying to lie to us about how peaceful Ylisse is, by framing it in an ambiguous way where it sounds like Ylisse might have been the defenders.

ACtC-3dCzN3YWozGkkojTR4ByPR_gmU79PJHSHrv

While parley makes me think of pirates, checking the definition, it is the perfect word for the situation.

ACtC-3fjdgmz81uz1BRqm6aBNBlcowNPuteyH3KS

I said I would stop with the Gangrel Trump jokes, but it is so hard when they are giving me such low hanging fruit...

ACtC-3cpkCPd0LV4FiDwVb6bZ-i8ALWTN641uuED

They really are trapped between a rock and a hard place. Forfeit the life of someone you care about, or force your entire nation to endure the horrors of war that you doubt they will survive. The utilitarian in me sees this as an obvious choice of let the girl die, but personal connections are a powerful thing that shouldn't be so callously disregarded either.

ACtC-3fMH5zq-0ZOQwt-PFOhqTc-At9cHd13y4yAACtC-3es2BsEgCxSnw0niarM-0pUL-dsrjVij-Oe

Emmeryn is starting to sound like Revelation Corrin with all of this third path talk

ACtC-3e7CtP1FDap6iFmV7hjfRF9Dxuo7J6g7KoiACtC-3cjAtA0zCyP4g5s_exZB9tDHpQcrWutWBNaACtC-3fWgoWVBPsS7YsiWDNnhnxZ_yOLJwTWKg2eACtC-3cMBE1FereFuzSTXoYbVhkQRgOVUmA_7tnn

...The Corrin vibes are really growing with how easily everyone jumps on board with the impossible plan... at least the story isn't forcibly designed to have her always succeed...

ACtC-3d0ophnQ0iGNIUtTtiCj_FtItN0OgGhvgpOACtC-3cUxZKhaLotZNJsfvmHAPyRqkW4iCBPjQwn

Seeing as I will be doing the gaiden next chapter (not to mention probably another grinding map of some sort), all this talk of going to the western border ends up especially silly. This might have worked better just before next map instead of at the end of this one...

ACtC-3dJamqk53KduUo6VE3p8MPGYh8WdnHoWSkGACtC-3eCJncQm6UffOufl_5iffqNC6Dhiy5Z8Kv9

...and yet he is still old enough to join the Shepards? Wait, how old is Ricken? How icked should I be when this kid inevitably gets paired up for sex with an older woman?

ACtC-3cK7Li2XM0dtHdupA0kN0CFGj1j7zf1N-GzACtC-3fwkaFdD-11TmhPOUI9VIt-Ym2xh6CfD6KZ
Pretending that he has been left behind to "protect" the garrison is down right insulting to his intelligence, and drives him

ACtC-3doUleVrJ7NTavX2BdgZL0XUSKZjewF2M8O

to reckless action he will take...two maps from now.

ACtC-3e_rGnfSaU_hNekuETW398rBSv6AYQDTtA-ACtC-3c7hv55fmBF1pJUbUWE3Dmjx_3xNfNJmKBY

Fortunately I get access to the random free boons from the barracks, and gain access to a less ridiculously difficult form of grinding

Reaching social maturity, after physical maturity (Supports Chapter 4)

Spoiler

Now for the two Tiamat supports I unlocked, first

ACtC-3fEsVXzhmbMn9USO-qg2Mp5kU009NfRdPn_ACtC-3cdvMtphEoNqaSbS84lw0LLGIJandW_HxYb

The awkward romantic subplot with Fredrick

ACtC-3eqHN3M85H0kpHk_w9akw3OAPzYNxdu8wmtACtC-3e5FVpgUruhFauyN4CYZT7mDIRD5W9NjRjZ

...That sounds incredibly dumb. What does Fredrick expect Tiamat to do about this?

ACtC-3dnE_dxad71iioACA8UPPTSXoH7tSVkqqU6ACtC-3fudm1NBoHnCT5r9spx5KMLWxF5cIjSs1By

I kinda like how Tiamat is waxing nostalgic over that night camping out in the woods (and was too distracted to actually notice Fredrick not eating the meat).

ACtC-3dAGbwy5hWaykueFOxR_QNaOhl0oFzHE_y4ACtC-3eWMYKMYlfLdj-V6bXkIZgDrU5v1-vE_EaMACtC-3dsivNVV8NlCCYmoa13OszrfNBeXaElmWAl

That is an apocalypse scenario there. Well, I guess the Shepards are a small enough paramilitary organization that Bear meat might be a feasible way to feed them for a noticable period of time, but Bears are not common enough to be used to feed an entire army.

ACtC-3cNKrmtlaPwuPKG8cE0g1eWiEaOVUFm9r0K

And Fredrick needs Tiamat to help with this training...somehow? This is incredibly weird.

ACtC-3dcNK1miyeSYdQqhXMIIWO-V5utu22Urt3C

As that famous saying goes an army marches on its stomach...

ACtC-3f6DTw-287YRkXuU2e5k12a8t9KwK5JAeo4ACtC-3d2DNfZAoL5L85dsNAbzMl7FNoWSB3kHX5X

I guess Tiamat will be a good motivator...yeah I still do not see how Tiamat will really be helping in this strange training...

ACtC-3d2bUzR4IlSg0uSLTC6jmXAGCFx9V8SaAKR

ACtC-3e8TmPxosVhi0zRWdM5XezjsTJMV3kadlf_

...Wow I never knew Fredrick thought so poorly of Tiamat...

ACtC-3cbgN_W86IswxkkdDDrNVMhubCAHvTx4vfA

...sigh...

ACtC-3fXSncGF-wCTLB_NjyGHDR03I04exNa5tvNACtC-3fsqY_AUQ9dZBmBVuqwP6236nI7AzJDGfjp

Its interesting to note that the domesticated farm animals in Archanea are the same as our own. Its a small thing, but I like seeing these little details fleshing out the world.

ACtC-3dCZOBf00SMOVFakF5rC3PC2kCjOsFv6sc1ACtC-3cBI7aA_ksA33jlN3AT_8YLat_fdRJwF6WBACtC-3cYx6b6ZV-TmyixGY8OsmtKldc1Iy6j2KloACtC-3dCtFKkw-dQKKGTsU4DqBaEinZET20mW3nW

You kinda deserved that after the remakes you made about Tiamat there.

ACtC-3fob_2RsHOCe7mSD7IgUkm0dBsIphGM0gS-

I am starting to wonder if they are implying Fredrick has some issues with identifying basic social standards and cue, as he also didn't seem to understand the issue with putting out naked images of Chrom, and even in the last Tiamat-Fredrick support he second guessed his ability to understand the figurative nature of the clear hyperbole she was using.

ACtC-3fe4iERyDRgNDlPo3h3CF6xg7Nkavll4dzR

Yeah it wasn't just an awkward lie designed to spend time with you...instead it was an awkward truth used to spend time with you...

Alright time to move onto

ACtC-3dUMdb_HrSi3wN2iCrtL7yKrrQjXpbmz33x

the first Tiamat and Lissa support.

ACtC-3dR-u71XibzIFsQs1JfmPMzA2-2dZUHNFUiACtC-3cqr_Ujr1ULwdHlETN8wLMPMCojq-f726dE

...Why do I have the bad feeling this will move onto childish prank territory, like dipping Tiamat's hand into warm water....

ACtC-3eOBC5MGAOuqaDwD0iVdczzkWfndRD9sf2BACtC-3fUu6voeuIB-qIo7dCOYU9T7qxfEKkkj-wuACtC-3eLobM_ly3gtLFUxzxJ97ii-SgCYaNIEPgm

I guess that is a bit less gross than I was assuming. Altough, waking Tiamat up from desperately needed sleep sounds unnecessarily cruel, especially after all the don't work yourself to the bone warnings we got in the Chrom-Sumia support from earlier.

ACtC-3dinimSJ3SgIJ1-iopqzZa4db3oviCnXqkf

Actually Risen riding wolves would have been an interesting enemy type to face...

ACtC-3cz9JXypCNDfUzr7IBiJHOakG9yy5B5SwmcACtC-3esgg2GvHAR3dT0yxuIHEFA3l7jAGtgyDo_ACtC-3eKhEhx-ZtkU-PPpG40yb3lgLDpAk8HRldD

Lissa is such a child...

ACtC-3fundMBHBc_v06tj4xo5LYeJt5dQxq3YW-1ACtC-3e5VkX9PBX6knc_clyv73ZkprR8J6AUHY_m

What is so funny about having a nightmare about Risen? Well Wolves and Risen....

ACtC-3feaab7n5x52scVkQSFYD5hF8BE_Wmy5NZR

I feel like this support would work better if it was the Lissa-Chrom support, or possibly even Maribelle-Lissa support, where they might be hearkening back to the interactions and dynamics of their childhood relationship.

ACtC-3cZtP9b-dIb5lUcjMCrR252ljqcfa956slYACtC-3dqh_OZefGfcDCvwi38GQVVTcJaZNb0InnW

...Oof. That moved into a tragic direction.

ACtC-3eH9B1l6ixsmhwrurxyzHB6VxjpLxKMPQDtACtC-3csF-Q3Cx2F9IQrfH1OkMctDdPbeNpQI_OC

That was a surprisingly understanding and mature response, given the overwhelming childish responses we have seen from her so far.

ACtC-3e7nRPhzliSKYtlMQ3IZ4dnl0savN9yyoQHACtC-3d6X5i9FMAjvzqiW3GA-m8NYfOhUnOjnx5P

This makes it feel like Lissa is being manipulative throughout this support, looking for some way to mitigate the consequences of her actions...

ACtC-3fJ8Ul_xwhvixbzOO0AtoXapuMBtM6AdueMACtC-3cn0A3eT3FSe0PSKvRbQGgVMiDR0QCJm3Ot

...Lissa is supposed to be an adult right? Who doodles in someone else's book like that? This feels like it took place in Middle School, or Elementary School (or possibly even High School, but it feels immature even for that setting) with her doodling in Tiamat's textbook...

ACtC-3fR-c7YnNHXtX0ebHl2u3juGGm6zCoYZHR-ACtC-3f4gxH3ViY903jDKUfKhsF0TfqOFGqUXzWRACtC-3dD06hUOJzbu2kGrkYxxRXOhreC-Jub8eZ1

...What a monster...

ACtC-3d78ZAjGT3BSsW8jg_4_WpeezgPx9zTg7dS

Tiamat shouldn't be giving her this much of a pass. Tiamat should be gentle in her response, but Lissa should help in replacing the book she destroyed.

Spoiler
1 hour ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

ACtC-3cPworHXWrnEcW3wcE1H-jtWve5ZZAUkT7HACtC-3cDvL7k2Aa0AAgDRLMFOjTVNsCNqF25sBUX

Youch, the poor girl is playing messenger for her rival in love.

I was thinking Cordelia reading this forgetting Tiamat was the name for this Robin.

And then thought it was like she was trying to shut Cordelia out.

Just look at that smile, she would love to tell Tiamat that Chrom is blowing her off.

See why I thought that?

ACtC-3e3IXv2BWMqYjbJl9ZVvGJj8HckzcHmr_BKACtC-3e0iTulT8jxMoJWBC8QjF6CTG49ovPmWSzr

and then Miriel ruins the Chrom kill plan thanks to a Fredrick attack stance. Honestly I should have played that a little safer and had Fredrick chip on enemy phase so he could grab the kill in an emergency, but

Would trading Frederick's weapons away have helped?

ACtC-3e2xYh6slkrDPXS4zcbulCy8-izNQ5k8qsa

I seem to remember there being some kinda outside material indicating that what really took down Lon'qu was him realizing "Marth" was a girl due to an accidental boob brush...

Ah yes, that material.

How canon are the 4komas?

ACtC-3e7EXWPH7Dqcho18Zph7iFmcWwhpcYXTrhg

Seeing as everyone is still using male pronouns and masculine names, I guess that makes Basilio Bi. Too bad he is a straight only Robin-sexual in the gameplay department. Also he is apparantly supposed to be old, I guess.

He's probably joking.

That doesn't mean he isn't bi, just clarifying.

I'm still disappointed the game didn't utilise the S rank support with Flavia that was coded for.

I am giving Lissa a pass on the FE incest jokes under the Star Wars exception.

How to laugh on the Internet? | NeoGAF

Ah yes, that old rule.

ACtC-3eMoS_z-g9cZ8wxiPUZ0k4PvDLeRH30bsi9

To be fair his gynophobia is a unique character trait to distinguish him from the likes of Navarre, but is also a little dumb.

It doesn't even distinguish him from Navarre, just takes him to the next level.

ACtC-3cH8npwBsxCoQhKZjWQP0SoF-bfGUoael_7

This makes it sounds like Khan isn't an inherited title, but some form of appointed, or elected one...

And from what we know about Regna Ferox is true.

I don't think we hear about the election of either Basilio or Flavia though.

This has the ridiculous feel of people claiming Trump had his election stolen, after all of the blatant voter disenfranchisement the Republicans attempted before the election...

The man has clearly done nothing bit lie to you (OK, OK, I will stop with the Trump is Gangrel jokes...sorry, its still so close to the election...)

I mean, the comparison makes sense, it's close to the election, I don't blame you.

At least Gangrel gave half of a shit more about the people than Trump did.

They really are trapped between a rock and a hard place. Forfeit the life of someone you care about, or force your entire nation to endure the horrors of war that you doubt they will survive. The utilitarian in me sees this as an obvious choice of let the girl die, but personal connections are a powerful thing that shouldn't be so callously disregarded either.

And that last point does fit with the theming about the bonds you forge that this game will keep using.

Pretending that he has been left behind to "protect" the garrison is down right insulting to his intelligence, and drives him

ACtC-3doUleVrJ7NTavX2BdgZL0XUSKZjewF2M8O

to reckless action he will take...two maps from now.

So Donnel first?

Ouch.

ACtC-3dinimSJ3SgIJ1-iopqzZa4db3oviCnXqkf

Actually Risen riding wolves would have been an interesting enemy type to face...

That would have been cool, though the Risen themselves seem to have limited intellect isn't there risen on horses? Or wyverns?

Point being Wolf riders could have been cool and the hypothetical Gothic FE should use it.

Sorry for not responding up to now.

• 1 month later...

Responses

Spoiler
On 11/16/2020 at 3:33 AM, Dayni said:

And then thought it was like she was trying to shut Cordelia out.

See why I thought that?

About the only thing I remember about Cordelia is she is a peg knight with a "perfect" gimmick, so I guess I will have to see their dynamic again for myself.

Ah yes, that material.

How canon are the 4komas?

I...don't know.

I'm still disappointed the game didn't utilise the S rank support with Flavia that was coded for.

Is that why I remember them being able to marry. I even had to edit out some commentary I made about that after some quick fact checking....

It doesn't even distinguish him from Navarre, just takes him to the next level.

Perhaps you are right; I always got more of a cringey white knight kinda vibe with how Navarre acted around women, which seems like a different direction (although it might not be depeding on your perspective...).

At least Gangrel gave half of a shit more about the people than Trump did.

Shots fired (but you are not wrong...)

And that last point does fit with the theming about the bonds you forge that this game will keep using.

From what I remember, that theme gets heavily carried by the gameplay, until near the very end, where it becomes a heavy focus of the story. Although this does show that it shows up in smaller ways throughout...I may want to keep a closer eye out for that sorta thing...

So Donnel first?

Ouch.

The longer I put off the introduction of both ambush spawns, and Wyvern knights, the better. Plus I wanted to have the rescue staff in reserve, in case I needed it to save Ricken and Maribelle.

That would have been cool, though the Risen themselves seem to have limited intellect isn't there risen on horses? Or wyverns?

Referencing the old "leaks" about FE16 having a gothic horror themed game with vampires? I was willing to try it out, and with how effectively Three Houses managed to burn me out, I suspect I would have ended up enjoying that gimmick better...

Sorry for not responding up to now.

No worries, I have been rather slow to update it as well. It just takes a lot of effort to write about this game, even if the gameplay challenge I have made is rather interesting.

Greasing the wheels of fate (Grinding and Supports Paralogue 1)

Spoiler

Now for a quick review of the grinding. Now that I have access to the free DLC map, I played that to grind this time, as it is less frustratingly difficult then the random encounters.

ACtC-3dVlcVi8DszJkVdLn4Xm7Guu91nAHlzuCVWACtC-3eK2QZZTTp8bPswsi2ut7ifd8N9nyxPkrRt

The big thing was trying to get Sumia into a state where she can function without being drugged up on tonics, although Miriel got a level while chipping, and Fredrick is close to his next one as well.

Also got two supports from it, first

ACtC-3dBXKgab3g71PE9SkbZsEjUNImOFqWZbnhv

Miriel and Tiamat

ACtC-3e02LZ2uSKIBotN1dJyYCa5I-5VkdcoKu1R

This is putting an image into my head of her carrying a pile of books that is stacked to above her head. Or I guess simply papers piled high, as

ACtC-3d0J-Jb2k4dqdOLOMCmdImRZYQlBFwbWSN_

Tiamat is somehow shocked that she was carrying a book (despite it being one of the most in character thing for her to be carrying). Also before I forget, the mention of herbs makes me think that the game is hinting that spell-casting requires spell components, which might explain why you can run out of book uses...

ACtC-3fTduYhfILG3ZI5BfWa7IovN_LSpjbRKBRe

With how she is acting it seems to be a personal journal, although when journal was first said, I thought of a research journal.

ACtC-3dA2bnQ4HBDmS7ZZ6ewwBXgyiRGZBCzDlsU

Using the word lodestar like that is being a bit obtuse. To be fair, I know the word thanks to Marth's class arbitrarily being named lodestar, it means north star, and she is using the way the north star was used in navigation as metaphor.

ACtC-3cH65nKyZyFuM7klGnYWn0mDaBHuFMurVk6ACtC-3cpKGSh8Hcb-rluq5VoeHcJFrQTWuB1XeUr

Seems I was right about the journal twice, both personal, and a research journal.

ACtC-3ejLatdrRX8GUZyxV9_mtj7ACZdHiHpx8Jb

I wonder if they mean because of its age, or simply that it was not professionally bound...

ACtC-3evVV7E2rblILIwtGBPbfw8VZnIzN1_DqunACtC-3fUQttsfnpD9hp17UIFXLjhf9yoFLbThlG0

Miriel,Tiamat is clearly just trying to find out more about you. It might just be the whole Fredrick talk from last time, but this sounds like she isn't understanding some basic social cues.

ACtC-3dtJVqvTmImE6KeBXUMRnbrHb2J85fAIG2p

Assuming they care about the person, and want some kind of friendly relationship with them.

ACtC-3fnuX3C_dxZoyvC99Givh6Bf8sTCvzwcVmgACtC-3c-ktlL8_rXNyXX3rABAmN6MwKNzDyrTOoKACtC-3eDgbsLAXtuQDQovYTt9AoQTIBUbnNtd6Ku

This is really making me think about the idea of the mechanical learning of social norms by rout...

ACtC-3cC53WpH1wUFSYFaCMb35xEBIcMNRmUk9UJ

Maybe you are right, it is just one support, and the idea of the nerdy character being awkward in social situations is a bit of a cliche...

Well onto the next one with

ACtC-3cIZ6sZLq4LDm2GQkcT5hKrO_MzOGgr843-ACtC-3eCTfA-J_QEker9cNCHo4ALRGQkhW2sQDRB

Lissa and Fredrick. Starting out with Lissa seeking out her support partner again. Why do I get the feeling she is up to some mischief.

ACtC-3e8D-jhW4uCiPsZLFT7vlaQyMLBk10vsI7V

Fredrick failing to understand a basic figure of speak, where describing the face is used as a metaphor for describing a facial expression. I just can't unsee this....

ACtC-3f6BT502FARjXj0UmyX38xMfNUgPFjmiHSIACtC-3flJfxrGtD9r_oEkVG1ab1SEgT6I85tnSgg

This kind of activity is getting mentioned regularly enough that I am starting to think it is a bit of an obsession for Fredrick. Whether to view it as part of the recurring warning against workaholic behavior, or another piece of evidence that Fredrick might be on the spectrum.

ACtC-3fceR4W_3DFRUjQUk7GncYTf1DYTF-YXJWr

That sounds like trouble in the making.

ACtC-3es89fxkKMXnF1dMD7ncNrs2a6GgIrkTqUnACtC-3cpOdmYq67SNytuROMClgitME0QqHuRkRPyACtC-3d120o7Zj71WOcRVmJv0AvnfitzWZHYljY4

Fredrick, even in the game that most uses damsels in distress (FE3...) there were still plenty of princesses who didn't need someone to save them. Lissa is one of the units that has always been useful, and she doesn't need more protecting than the majority of our units so far...

ACtC-3flQTnNDx4S-5CtF6coNRLaSw5SeqAeN-FZ

That is another way of putting it...

ACtC-3dFfCTXFuxn0wnO44T12otdNU_AzfZ86-W_ACtC-3dxY8b-j8JJ6cPq3Ih68mUZGp1HZWewu6A-

This is sounding a bit like the premise of an Elise support. They do have fairly different personalities, but they really are in similar roles...I guess I will have to see how this plays out, and I guess it would be more on Fate's writing than Awakenings if they seem too similar.

ACtC-3cmF7OCXvyY7uZ1yv0cGoCCnI789Obw_XUt

You have been holding your own, you just fit a different role from everyone else...

ACtC-3emQ9CV-T3RfXvk6mbn9J64bKTuSMoJSsdrACtC-3fv1xY98MXuwOLpvCOk36nadgjMndA1Nw01

A be careful what you wish for line if ever there was one. Well that was the Fredrick and Lissa support, now onto the last, a Sumia Fredrick support

ACtC-3cpeSsQHTLfK68pU9VO3G5hNeFvU_ywK6lx

Why is that surprising, I though Fredrick was always up early doing som-

ACtC-3eeFYbSUSXUSl9V2L_BrhkBw6FMWe8MHsrx

Again with the weapon inspection...

d5e.jpg

ACtC-3eZ6wI6HA21V9Cc9wpqTDDk2XlLPMqZ9nJZ

Now that is starting to encroach on the don't work yourself to death sorta themes that keep coming up. I wonder if she is going to try and get him to relax like she did with Chrom.

ACtC-3dGHDlf6AJh50-hbk_M3J_CRJFLTZ1P4dy9ACtC-3dnwhsLDGOpsKb1NHXsnV676HXqA6f24aIy

Fredrick, you have taken on far greater of a burden in this run, than Chrom is even capable of...

ACtC-3fi_KRQga9Lw9rBclrVRfxXLQy_GPzXT1IdACtC-3dAsbY_VgMqXM1vyf_ojt389HZCxZZVNmAGACtC-3eybsny-N0d4kJII67m0Xnsm3Oc5g4HPJrLACtC-3dwHK5MSQC8UOVetEsuyazt0vnGR8BAq0Fj

...Don't work yourself to death yet Fredrick....

ACtC-3cMEsCGZY3CgVgl_dmtBLMusbqodA5WJV99

Alright that is getting into the mean territory. The birds were certainly nesting there before Chrom setup camp, perhaps Chrom even wanted to be woken by the songs of those birds that you scared off....

ACtC-3fCsfTo5_kKc7SCfRSCwloKZYiRJKRg-OevACtC-3dYRGnB8MsOpNk7JQHQd5rSMkAHy3nKqDcU

Yeah this is getting a little repetitive...

ACtC-3fkvo2z9PrrJNmKTRT7D6G0ZmSEtbAZlg78ACtC-3enPcazp9mBYzZSGFD-wB0lhBeJscJmXakEACtC-3eTUwycX47ldSg65zAGRtgc9pT2leyBYDeA

That is kinda charming, despite my previous cynicism, this is heading in a different direction from the Chrom version, and instead she is seeing the best in Fre-

ACtC-3eBP6GEd7EzmGGeJVMK1iiHvd7yEOkaD0Kn

...of course she has to make it all about Chrom.

ACtC-3dxfk2y9TUsAeCOf7jVtziA359mTpGMFoajACtC-3cKtaxW7gvEzNHLLhDFekVeOPTr4Ou4easE

Now this is a nice change of pace. She is showing a bit of self awareness about one of her major cliches, seeing the positive side of it, but still wanting to change for the better.

ACtC-3d0RQsHND4tnkdbMHlELplMUEFYjQdudX05

...On some level I doubt it, but I suspect she is the first person to put it so bluntly, and sincerely that Fredrick properly identified it.

ACtC-3e9pairHmg3l_juujEzze4KcN33Lj8vOh8sACtC-3fcO9V47hYGBOpbh-4_rOn14pzTdtZp7YfT

I was working on that by grinding Sumia up in particular.

ACtC-3dmq-nQexqUbkg-HcJiXbkrwZwOngdsLvSJ

I rather liked the Sumia side of that support (even if the Fredrick side was a little dull...)

The Property of Chrom (Opening Story Paralogue 1)

Spoiler

ACtC-3dsQCDSxj_4E9621EajbiUGiziyDNtXjGm6

Now that is a goofy face to start this story off with

ACtC-3fhkvbdSxDqvcdXV_OxF21jnLTp0BLOh6ywACtC-3f7ceESft0ppLflWYJQVXB3909esgQpbaou
Seems the plot wont wait for an explanation, its just going to whip us around wherever it needs to go

ACtC-3dD73aosL7PO8OASCAxowzFlni1dchP8YH3
Speaking of which, Chrom did kinda promise we were done with those kinda maps. Sure its an optional one, but it has not been that long since he said it...

ACtC-3f7vTbqVLppq6lqQagb0E0l8gECms_exkwV

Talk about damning the feudal system of the world with a single word. Chattel, used to describe people as property. This isn't him talking about slaves either, but serfdom.

ACtC-3chN6yIX4TP5Ui0CSbxmFSHzGKu8B3u7-gh

This story section is really whipping all over the place tonally, from terrified human property, to screaming banditry...

ACtC-3e3fC6XjtuBx6RQaEI0nGabtXJiTsSzzEUY

This seems really out of character for Chrom. Why is he letting this vicious bandit go? Especially when the next map objective is rout, where we leave nothing alive...

ACtC-3dLjR0XF14FM2CpnTqU73FLSnrUmPkaLuMVACtC-3cgCQ6Z5w0OVsPKeXbVrQqLFaYiYzKalXsv

This sorta fear does not seem warranted from what we know of Chrom, which makes me think of two things, first that the society Chrom supports is horrifyingly oppressive (which was hinted at by calling them chattel), alternatively this may be a holdover from the actions of his father. Either one is a bad look for Ylisse...

ACtC-3ct6xIMlqICwKS9aw4uzsIDUPK_h-0fggl_ACtC-3dZECPnB3RunRtDRoE1qcZYVeNRMKZPAszT

Huh, it would be interesting to see people shift from Donnel to Donny as his support with them grows. I kinda regret not making him a part of the team (although I might end up grinding a child out of him latter in the game...)

ACtC-3eLj2qS96YUfRJBSaHGnq7hBGlrUEp4f__8ACtC-3dSr6WE6rkSMiLIb0zt1OdhM9LQEiX9tbeBACtC-3fNQ4QWI7fhmqMvMOzLsws80BIgN_Oop1a_

Awww...he thinks that is actual swears. Once again Awakening does a good job at adding some characterization through their use of word choice.

ACtC-3cORxC5TWuHPf2QtAwldAy3UR_M5rDAvWIvACtC-3cNGgd4WzqtRffZhLVUfKUEt2Q6YasFlM9y

Oh wow, are they hinting at the bandits taking the villagers as slaves after shying away from Knorda Market being a slave market in FE11...

ACtC-3cW6QO8oyVmoJv0rJWhXYuNjOy8mJoT0udhACtC-3ehzIx7UlmD3TWa9aS7wOVe3TuWOhW5cH9V

Seems Donny is a bit of a mama's boy. It also sounds like his dad is already dead, and he has no living siblings by the way he said that...

ACtC-3e7r9McD3Sc6PX_OTs84GDvW-lBuVq5jwPa

They probably should have waited for the war to actually start before this side chapter, if the story is going to blame it on the war...

ACtC-3f2zsjbx2fxX5b9snuFopCmi-8wDWaBRFul

Alright, time to sta-

ACtC-3ctxF4wiuOvsC2gLB9zjtboFnWX0qVaEzTu

Or see what happened to the bandit Chrom inexplicably let go...

ACtC-3f3Xf_PacxMWIb8QeCgHJv-0dcJFOSTLnPC

The local religion (presumably the Ylissean religion) having Saints is giving me some distinctly Catholic vibes now. I know he is joking, but the idea of sainted mothers has to come from somewhere.

ACtC-3cr1Rz8-hrn3LA_WhGU0lE0l71LxNBDXXLCACtC-3f4oj_e60z9qXx6wRaq9v2zQjYqT3HXLDx-

That is a fair point, and makes me think this should be a chapter without death, as the enemies intent is capture...but this is before

ACtC-3chAOf93mswWpyHxGTJnJovRPP-SyqVl3Kg

Seeing as its Lunatic, that is probably accurate, but hopefully Fredrick (and my own tactics) can keep him from having the opportunity.

ACtC-3fgdaWTC9H_1fMpRCFhAEeQN1meElvs89Eh

Seeing as there are two chests that the bandits will try to loot themselves, that makes it clear that she is lying through her teeth...

ACtC-3exx2L2uZWtIgSg7eSn--5b4e_sW06TP02T

Nice to see the bandits have the same view of Ylisse's citizens as the Shepherds...(for slight clarification bleating is the word for the sound that sheep make...)

ACtC-3eZRQCkr9qLWj2q9Tv81yPI7C-_kTFgXB0I

Moving onto cows now. What barnyard animal will they think of next?

skip1 ACtC-3e_ASsVS4MztT_nqOLAMqMMaIH2WzXZHiidACtC-3e1oEY-uxNeBPfKrkGTCJV6XgoywZcE5w5G

... looks like poor Donny lost his father recently. I am a bit tempted to joke about Fire Emblem and dead fathers, but having a canonically alive mother is a lot better than most Fire Emblem characters get.

ACtC-3dop1qiAnG41iBlAwjKKw0bPIK6nhEmBMN8

Did Roddrick just imply that Donnel's mom has brass balls?

ACtC-3c7iEuTHteX7puQFjK6X5NuCPagJAHYPNj3

Woah...that is a lot darker than I would expect. Then again after the heavy hints of Ylissean society being horrifyingly bad for the peasantry, and slavery from the bandits, perhaps it is in line with the rather strange tone of this chapter.

ACtC-3cHWp3p7a6C9owzKCyLM8Cx6x4d1tqNAtNr

...I must admit all this emphasis on Donnel's child like nature makes me feel uncomfortable about the fact that he might become a father at such a young age...or gutted in front of his mother at such a young age...

ACtC-3f-Z9oIwqKKqURltoi8cFVo934UUyH0_cLIACtC-3f9NrDJAdl9yuHW3l5zqekIpd1zv3sKNaU4

At first I though they might be using the word stuck as a way to justify his use of a polearm in combat, but a bit more digging into the origin of the phrase, its about sticking the pig with a knife.

ACtC-3dqTx_xZ6nVXjl-xfTk7_c1O-GL0tQ0W5dD

That Chrom is so awkward and uncomfortable after this exchange is interesting. Is he uncomfortable about the class differences between them, and the way it informs how he views violence as natural? Is he uncomfortable about Donnel being forced into fighting at such a young age?

ACtC-3fhUi1wNMfX3H83qmbzBSVRwL8TPV5Hk87YACtC-3f_M74VB7JkoznvIbwql7AIriSfU7ZC3FuN

I do kinda like how they emphasize that he is an Est even in the story.

ACtC-3doQqw9WuBltiQ2MSUCvFzCButBhndxjjkV

The way they describe Donnel makes it clear that villager is effectively a trainee class, although having to get to level 10, and use a second seal to get out of it is kinda cruel. Also this kinda implies all the characters we get had to second seal out of their own version of trainee classes, prior to us getting them.

ACtC-3eb0zYP9YDYKDKsPDwD2MW2BSgbxcl-DJwS

I think it would be similar to a lancereaver, as the hooking of the axehead is often seen as the justification for the WTA against lances, and the hooking of the sickle blade would probably work similarly,  but alas Awakening doesn't have WT reversing weapons. Also this makes it sound like Villager should wield swords.

ACtC-3eiXBsfYVOUnXTkJmYJnv6Qcg6V6TWVjAAL

That is a massive understatement in Lunatic mode...

skip 2ACtC-3d-xhUtijBT5MaLax6-Plheln-PYG_U_8mtACtC-3f63GnNUj4F7jZrcquJoyHCuzQK8mrzg3ol

All right lets do what we can to recruit this scrub.

ACtC-3ej6Z4r6Vsc8u2yn3vgUG8moRtg-80OlFRB

...I probably should have remembered to grab a shot of the initial deployment location, but I guess that would go in the gameplay section anyway, speaking of which

Controlling the Ranges with Crafty Lures (Battle Paralogue 1)

Spoiler

Well I did catch images of the important tonic use, and random stat buffs for this map

ACtC-3eqVyM1x2vd-f3YpOOzQd-URJ3hTSNNJ6oM

Lon'qu gets a defense tonic to let him survive even if the enemy hits.

ACtC-3e_m8DmASL5t4n60nj1V549e1sXR7BN0qhl

Fredrick gets a defense tonic as well to help him deal with the amount of punishment he has to take to get away with the treasure...

ACtC-3fvd7_a7f6xH6KgGTdOG_c1-Mlmzn0bAYm7

Sumia is going to be using this to get some key early kills

ACtC-3d2b7DW8Lo4QIahNqzWckLGER2H4CT_O-35ACtC-3fa3LFL2CSFsuq8AysbIPaWAJNBVJe5qtyV

The random magic boost on the two magic attacks was fortuitous (and the defense on Tiamat is nothing to sniff at either)

And with that out of the way its time to-

ACtC-3cX3u748m5znUzUwZN0__UCO1pivVMYg2c4

get some more Donny lines.

ACtC-3epUM-rJaoT7CpETM1hNQEfkn8Gld_a_G7P

I mean you will, but that is fine.

JMC5haScrK7BoL7GBSMSnbyCcowdBE7Am-59K9oW

Its nice of them to spell this out directly. Now onto the map, and lets start this mess. Fun fact I actually had to complete this chapter twice due to losing the images from it when my old computer died, but fortunately I still remembered how my opening worked, and I completed it the second time without any extra resets needed.

ACtC-3cR35gGNsmTtqI7px25guWucl8pLCrLdZAHACtC-3eTX8PLPCngtslO0P4OTlKb5fewR630SdOJACtC-3dkNtI2zRbZFLegW2c3Nch8F111Ssy7PjL_

by putting that Sumia strength tonic to use ensuring this archer dies, which nets her a solid level as well. More strength would be nice, but those are a lot of good stats.

ACtC-3ft5_epgGA1rSGXykkMM0SrfizMd8NCbuBR

That silver lance is almost gone, but one shotting a thief is well worth it, as they double everything.

ACtC-3eLlSlKCHUEncMzeE8WEwpuUGJcQOOzMo_f

Plus the extra defense and speed are nice for what he is about to be doing.

ACtC-3eWFW29zTBai0V6qjh-vChkJtvgUlUmeHAxACtC-3cLMSRO-qnLYTuQDJd3L6M5Cp8-tLLIoO63ACtC-3e9jzImqgXHaX0uoXxEusezu8beuoGx_Vtx

Those magic buffs are really helping here, although I only needed one of them for this kill. If neither got it I would have had to trade over the killing edge just for the extra raw might...

ACtC-3dPyGm9zgxC1QuvpNvkcvKi5SPDReoEShFh

Here is our position end of turn one, with Lon'qu getting some enemy phase killing edge chip, and Chrom drawing in another one. Fortunately both of these are melee only...

ACtC-3d9SMcngasQI0hIt1wNNzNAbMTPlV6ccEr4

Tiamat earns this level by getting a dual strike with Chrom, and I can't help but feel that she might be a little stat screwed...I guess defense is nice to get but...

ACtC-3fdkK41KROknJr5bilmQvWsKd9UHNlzRMJ1

Thanks to the dual strike, that set him up perfectly for this Sumia kill.

ACtC-3cDyS7hQNcrKIBI6fz92Qpvqj4dXcGslU3NACtC-3dUEa4tlXRYQ3lnY5aytoxEF3-IPpByN6FD

Note that without the defense tonic Lon'qu was risking death enemy phase...despite that being a low hit rate, I have seen him die to this attack.

ACtC-3eDfElXjJWkIRUx4_2EBdf1eqfHMo1WRorzACtC-3cMTow2OBnUYLuOUedw0zrYUjoKpMP5KD6pACtC-3f2tkaf8tvweYoAGsb1dPQbHbG3i0wJXj0-

Fortunately this jerk is still equipped with his melee only weapon to make killing him easier.

ACtC-3c-sDU8zA0k3_r0Vmh7kiCKo1ljpEzlw2Xz

Thanks to the higher might on the steel axe, dropping Virion here convinces this jerk to also stay with the melee only weapon to maximize damage, while avoiding counter attacks. I am not certain exactly how the AI works, but this is covering enough bases to work...

ACtC-3cV2LeaG6s3Fv7uMqT_OxP2jxr0LlUfQ-o1ACtC-3cHHYF69sYkDwGk9lm7XL2sYRvm7jJcP-8l

as this archer went for Miriel to maximize its damage output, which resulted in it taking the highest damage it could enemy phase, which makes it look like the AI only cares about damaging us...

ACtC-3dLUngf6glAPuKWBtYgYY_fFAao29VaTqic

Its hard to complain about her getting the best offensive stat boosts she could...

ACtC-3e86c5wNtQDF00HkAskrzNpxH75Zc5Q_qIU

Now for a big play, thanks to terrain penalties, Fredrick pairs with Chrom

3mR81NeDABb5upvYvyjLlOIjegNQYM2hJEPluH0B

to get dropped even further ahead than he could possibly reach on his own. I have him equipped with a javelin to get some counters in, although it will result in him having to tank even more damage to WTD, but he needs to rush over to stop the thieves from raiding all that precious loot.

ACtC-3cOrOZyWBnZmR8OhpJXxJpsec207ZyA9Eq-

I almost forgot to grab an image of Virion chipping the guy that attacked him, but

ACtC-3e70wFBAYKIzfDW6xeXsR1mrp7kdIIgcAVo

that heal should suffice to keep him alive,

ACtC-3f0XB1hJVnrHQQ2Q1ijVOcGGrVGn_NeuBUy

as I am blocking him from attacking at 1 range (or getting at Lissa) with Lon'qu (he didn't attack to prevent the possible death from him being hit twice...) and the damage drop from using the short axe should keep Virion alive.

ACtC-3dNX3EW-od3mwUgTc5mf948Ge5rXmwYrglU

He ends up going for the short axe hit on Tiamat instead. Thank goodness for that bonus defense boost. Fortunately Tiamat still chips him

ACtC-3cRjowk_0KoLJXiqlRhMLS2YDGm5k23yEPC

which put him in Miriel's kill range.

r8omAf6UqS9S3JeAcpHfzIpdMBzbkxKOKIgg9Ha_

She needed that recovery...

ACtC-3dB4CuZAS0OoZu0Zs0nD8ozADJFUZw2gORD5j86TzlfrAnCwWggcA80mh_8BWN0ExFFfcth0zhpACtC-3cBBcVgjE9TNsdZ7WQmKmPSCk0NTS0K-FBU

This turn is all about preparing for next turn.

ACtC-3c8suVqVV6PZKGJ6jjhAU6SajqlaUbJp7MM

I was hoping for one of them to attack either Lon'qu, or Chrom, but alas they all still pile on Fredrick.

ACtC-3eN9yYsrOV0bIO8LRjJwdGDmAJ7ulEDXg-FACtC-3dxs5vY8qIuuSNcun4pr7DOUYgTFrplFXA1

And with the last use of the Silver Lance, the thief is dead, and the treasure is safe (with the door open).

ACtC-3eixWgFeec9QELXs_uc1EBilb6GpxYA3q9NACtC-3cv75kAOX4CwV17CCKTNVYGH4l9mJEPwzAQ

Now its time to clear out the survivors of Fredrick's charge.

ACtC-3dncZm4mgORDnweaaeCxtlQL1wVOz3w9kPW

At least he got speed.

ACtC-3cFnffXDWfw9vIO42Md0etj-4eFAOtMABi3ACtC-3dUtvMsc8RVu7lpS-o-embXu81frN7NgM8S

Miriel has been at critical health for a while. At this point I have gotten used to level-ups being mostly terrible on this run...

ACtC-3f2YjCT8MKfx9DxbcnOF-94rf0jXoGgqrVG

The thief may double, but he should die before the second attack.

ACtC-3ccwsHHDuTk0d-ccTjYtdUbpX_pOSFHArP8

With the last thief suiciding on Tiamat, Fredrick comes back and heals, although after that thief hit, Tiamat needs some healing, so

ACtC-3ehACE1iB0qoOvumUT5U1QC7Ei2Bni2QtE3ACtC-3ee1uGHzGBBXHCZKZCN3SuAZSG1hmKP8l3IACtC-3fNdNt7aBh11HzI-0Sa8vckLelT7Jpp8j5t

That should work.

ACtC-3cu3ac7mhlFBmqu46ruUIYC94ufaqefxl-J

Hopefully this bandit will let Tiamat chip him (and his short axe), but even if Fredrick did

ACtC-3e18PmSOy7RF2o0vO28Ubp_IUQtMX5R9bhe

I could still feed the kill to Sumia.

ACtC-3eCr3G2vP6gY4plYLwiyu72TByUpXMqEdjBACtC-3fWI5W-F3Xb_-AVydT5jvAo25yIYx23m7dG

This separate maneuver should get Donnel in position to secure his recruitment next turn, as

ACtC-3cqjVPlI4AnRFvPrnuudyiV48lkDo7XRea2

I am drawing in the archer from maximum range
WubZxEknaKbvJT-M6ACm_7lbEFk5QoyTQNK7Gc2_66t2hb0w3_CVCvXQOOdITe8CDZvogHXnh2RqewYE

And with him surrounded Donnel can just wail on him until he gets the required level.

ACtC-3ej_875Oef0TKIchookLaMhEQmPVe6Z6FHIACtC-3eapbIeg-CiJAjgxgw8CQCfe1ZDBMVjF77R

Unfortunately he needed the kill for it. A nice enough level, but there is no way I am babying him through this difficulty. We are at a point of transition. Now before moving onto the next section

ACtC-3fki96fH4ZyPqys9Rc9p-m6C-mxcftXxCWR

lets healup, and

ACtC-3fP9ndeoj1relNZtlyx0tanqUferDGMPUb1ACtC-3fVnClV6zSQ3N6VjjCGnqLoQOo5Dl5CbohI

get an OK piece of random loot. Getting the weapon ranks for it will be an absolute pain, but it should be excellent against the staggeringly dangerous wyverns to come.

ACtC-3erXG7zr-HJHwG3_ujGY-CZp9Mv6VeCCkDt

They don't take the bait here. It must be some kind of linked AI situation, which makes things a lot more complicated.

ACtC-3egVwgQxTz6i-7zb6eK6VAZNMwqYi6wePsd

I have to find a way to survive a 1-2 range enemy, and a hammer, so I can't just take it with Fredrick. This might work, Chrom has an extremely high avoid thanks to being adjacent to everyone that has a support being adjacent, and WTA, plus the squishier troop adjacent just might

ACtC-3erA8TA7YL9sG06Xv_dVE4sGULN1MKCmaN0

lure the short axe one into moving deeper in, preventing the steel axe from killing Chrom. Now I should be able to chip away at him from range

ACtC-3cxatSsHqmvHDQmQnM2AHrKElWTj0no9TB8

or she can crit for the kill. To be fair 18% is a fairly high crit rate.

ACtC-3diBMvmf6oSFl02a4nIcWDRi58QEU2oJn_-

...and despite how good the level looks, she still misses speed...and defense...

ACtC-3ew0Fre1K_hOE1f8uuFa9gw0LUmqvcUt7h6

After a dodge

ACtC-3dkmGZWBYtjCHMZ99nK1wLcHVZSS-KtSOcC

Lissa can heal up Sumia instead of her brother.

ACtC-3dB6HTV7U5Pxe5UtNi99GPVxyVAOkbzf9z6

And with that we have cleared this little section, and we are ready for the next one. I will start by dealing with

ACtC-3ddz-Estncsjtw_0sYXMK38wFUyx5KmS2sL

the ranged threats.

ACtC-3fsFkqcpSw0S7MaUPQYH8L4L9oi173bKyIr

Oh, and before I forget, I start grabbing the loot with those chest keys that were dropped.

ACtC-3e_DUMMqmN5AAq4WfwG_FXAunypYK8f_mPu

Tiamat gets a lucky block on enemy phase, and while I consider this attack, instead I go for the slightly safer option of letting this happen enemy phase. Now Miriel

ACtC-3fBwCc1ASrtEi3dPLfZjDjKEeJpJoYk2etT

can grab the kill him, and after more looting

ACtC-3eLp9Drvwmv8Z92VVGUzG7R94B3BKYYUToN

Miriel levels enemy phase

ACtC-3dTw4BAA7EsleR28prRk1QovKZo6jrwZo7B

and its excellent.

ACtC-3caaY6fnpfuoESq40qDWu7ov3LfVeycg9K2ACtC-3dIW1g550s5_rTTy6sp1vTC61pVguy3NT2B

Dealing with this enemy phase is overly cautious, but still technically safer, but after the kill

ACtC-3dr64-WR5Xo0gaQOII5lRRqjQTggGKJM8cT

Lissa levels healing Miriel. This is the last mobile enemy to deal with, but before that

ACtC-3c3mL8EiK2iG_QjF5QBUwc10pltMts3YSRPACtC-3dLjhD9p1GdMud1dh99xRrZMcHyzK4f05H_ACtC-3eTIS2Zrn5MKh0S3PwItdtlKeJHI1KmHKdW

Tiamat grabs the last shiny zone, which gets her sword rank out of the terrible E rank.

ACtC-3d64j2TxBy1TRtUPcyiK7BGMdC1sJBcGqBgACtC-3crXfFK5Ym5TaeYbhQH2nZ_QEkJGMoJy7F3

And with that only the boss remains.

ACtC-3evaZA8_-C2mR360qtTkhbalmCMAy1B3Cs2

Having him start with a Silver equipped gives me an opportunity to get some free range attacks in.

ACtC-3dUCZemyXTEuW_ZJfAX8rolIn2kYTQrx2LO

From what I can tell, the Shepherds were fairly used to fighting bandits, so this sounds kinda silly...

ACtC-3chuWzaPRniU_K20T3PGPaGjP4FZrIwmyLd

After this Tiamat can chip it into ki-

ACtC-3dDFrfheALqJo_X1nHaArJlOhVeMwWJrhKS

...or Fredrick can get a dual strike for the kill.

ACtC-3eCvL2I9Yu8WgcOSmMWVN_0jLFXTO9ldZtL

...why are your level-ups so bad Virion. Bows are about to become vital, despite how bad the archer class is, and your terrible level-ups are not helping anything...

ACtC-3fuYrdSe3Uc8xPda52a3IvShoW8BlGfHfh9

So ends the repeated chapter.

Don't say his name...(Ending Story Paralogue 1)

Spoiler

ACtC-3dTnid4HheaPIEJlvTtIHnNmhVrtazy3jgK

Well this band at least.

ACtC-3diWhfRn6DAy_1Ma4JD1xGTJlAVf5pEORE9

...not really, but I plan on trying to keep everyone alive.

ACtC-3epNnTEiJ3dO3IFhbjrjVB-z_4Pln73LdOb

Seeing as the bandits threatened him with death that seems fair.

ACtC-3fDiOWLs2oUgm_9ElsWM6iqN5W2t6xo-gweACtC-3eF17wQSru8Ive334-XOloXuJB5fPc8RANt

Is Donnel's mom supposed to have taken a knee, or mid curtsy, or something here?

ACtC-3ez7avju_qqeEIXUhiFjVZBnA6Yz0uh7mBNACtC-3dO_xLckBfT7UA5vWL-RNy9Tg_gBU6xG946

...This statement defies reality so much....

ACtC-3d1rqWQOqlqO4Xg4vIKws3lo2qWwLogkjMc

Don't fake me out like this game, I got him a level, he should be my newe-

ACtC-3dNtr8PeCZqobz4xHVoXnvX3m75RlLLtrvsACtC-3egv6FlDlVfoNDd4wdC9y5XJd-6A_eUB0j2

Good. Even getting him relationship points is going to be tricky, but it might be worth the effort.

ACtC-3czZlfr37ilV48TW2arDK0OwCkp2H6ZXsTm

...How is that relevant? Is he going to be the one taking care all of the mounts from here on out, or are we leading a herd of cattle as a source of supplies for our army, or something?

ACtC-3fGJB6qvNYLdkjvIEZSLcm905aF9GCTCPrt

Seeing as her boy is offering to go to a war (that hasn't technically been declared yet...) that sorta reaction seems very warranted.

ACtC-3dwYAqZoC2PEVaLw9L8pVP9qe8E9z-x_i90

..the hick grammar here is getting a little hard to decipher, but

ACtC-3ddR8X2MSy0IO6PdElhD9VMcLFRa-lAwgoE

that makes it clearer, and the poor boy is blinded by a sense of duty, or greater purpose.

ACtC-3dmqs11qfHFVcPjSpYORzqlQO4jHS0SOdi5ACtC-3cjkSeXGPIhQqK2gMV14jvWj5vILB0aM5jj

That poor mom. Chrom is so willing to employ a child soldier like Donnel...

ACtC-3d3JP_1TKRzWPkbEGcLM-U2w_QNHeHqv1xC

That is some fairly desperate straights, when Donny is the kinda soldier we need.

ACtC-3f3W6HINNIBmSYaR-1xeQ8wAGz3nqd19pYW

She doesn't want to crush her boy's self esteem, but...

ACtC-3cjypk-hCzI2dq8yOuRz1PZcHmRctK9m8f5

One of the better reactions to Awakening's story.

ACtC-3cHysuW2vysorMYqM1L_2YSDo2NvSsuyisE

How old is Donnel supposed to be? Is this another "technically an "adult"" situation...

ACtC-3fPFogCuQEbzw_hE2GJo-z-AIUbxNxYSrEz

I kinda wish they had Donnel showing some kinda emotions in his face sprite here.

ACtC-3cWJuCB7LZc_t1R_XhuHs4KXXl4qefR3MMdACtC-3f9xFsv_7OdxH8LcLQ-NzGuQRmJ_QuK4Kjn

Its especially weird when the NPC is showing a far wider range of emotions in her face...

ACtC-3frW1YJLiSxPXw01EWqcLZNgn8Rcr63H72SACtC-3dd6c5FAP13fWfRmitigbn_GKpQirFBw6Vk

That makes it sound like Donnel's mom is going to defend the town. I guess she would have to after her husband died attacking those bandits...and the bandits did imply she had brass balls....

ACtC-3fV6MmsABLbcCRlFJB_wp-d_ycUCbcCm8TV

Donnel is a sweet kid.

ACtC-3dh0z3hNC6PgOk41r7GpSgmjZ8TcKQeClE-

At least he can express some joy. Also what would bringing home some glory even mean?

ACtC-3fpZf6Jmg1B22BBf1N00UD-fktsk-ZqiCoZ

That is a sobering comment to end this story segment off with. Although it does feel rather odd that neither of them are talking about Donnel's father that must have died rather recently. It feels really weird that there is no commentary about them mourning him, or Donnel feeling like he got revenge against his father's murder, or even just mentioning him.

There is more than one way to skin a man (Supports Paralogue 1)

Spoiler

Time for the two notable supports we have gained, first

ACtC-3c5X3zi5B-QMz0Ey-51rvJW9RlBP2gHzcTG

This incredibly awkward support continues. Give me a moment to get that clip I used before ready, as I will almost certainly need it again.

ACtC-3c0g9a3dt953LZ5CrzN1GCdswGVjiM35mMSACtC-3dGbwIkm27kulbC2iWQ5hXEqUIXvjWJedAb

I am surprised you never had to deal with that kind of embarrassment after Fredrick plastered naked pictures of you all over camp...also its hard not to look at the language they decided to use, and not think of the euphemisms they always use to joke about ED...

ACtC-3fC78ozHex1_JxgcIqLgn844SoVidGP6iYaACtC-3dltkWRbeeFHRfCbxcndw5UGySb_ECugKGb

Talking about it after clearing his head isn't the worst idea for trying to solve this issue. Although its kinda obvious to see where this support is going...

ACtC-3dNa7F6RV7CoWMEVec7tNSyhc6jh3j1wSvfACtC-3d-BtENOfppPKor9OhVztvXLvf7r6Iozu4D

Tiamat, that is Fredrick's overused cliche...

ACtC-3eS_ryO1XRVsRAPj876CMoKjVaXpogAzY7UACtC-3exk3ykJKggVraa8ggyb06HS1c7lalzEgfWACtC-3elDudSXPU8nso_6TcVfDwH2T3s_1lM4ieK

How do you mistake the bathing tent for a storage tent. I know from the last support that they heat the water until it steams up, which must require some mechanism, or support staff that should give away what this tent actually is...

ACtC-3du52g0c2omOXYNiJqrp7qS1Ld3J1kTCczh

That is a bit of a subdued reaction to someone bursting in on you while bathing...

ACtC-3cFTjAyioaW9siL8jPe4mErGqeZzSBlBJsvACtC-3ecmstiin-sYRhRJohdH3zkuv_LaFvMFYtlACtC-3dxUx9NbDQgcL1WT413jrKSn2jGxC3OiyV3

That is right, you really should be the one screaming here. Or even reacting at all. Why is this making me think Chrom may be a bit of an exhibitionist...

ACtC-3c6jDTLjIeakBw1MeRyftzv1_qbLqEOBJJA

Unless Chrom is being a lot more aggressive with exhibitionism than is made apparent in the dialogue, this violence is completely unwarranted. Seeing as we just saw the other side of this sort of interaction, it also emphasizes a bit of a double standard here...

ACtC-3ek-UkDbpVU0WrTBIdUMxRHxcD9j2ibXE3c

Have YOU no shame Tiamat? You just walked in on someone bathing, not the other way around...like last time...

ACtC-3dIxUea64GIV0p2CbVK1CgOo136vAYaoRPm

He should wear a towel...WHILE taking a bath...the amount of stupid in this one support is just...just...There is NOTHING stopping you from just leaving....

ACtC-3c6WM6yl7LaMVvIAVrtz3FVjorKCeZKrFfW

...alright its time. Too much stupid has occurred to prevent this

ACtC-3dnRclVADzSUlstpxA62EgHAzsZ1UqxUMaRACtC-3d1NHnQ3-Q90dxKEPng9EVPrs5_CpcBoClv

At least sense returned before the support ends.

ACtC-3c2v0jifcWHZecxFFOqwCNJ61-PseaurhkPACtC-3d89lkwvpy1RyS4Aar7AV5dgYX2Z7DjGNsv

I kinda see where he is coming from with that logic, but its kinda undermined by the clear double standard shown here...

ACtC-3feNAhbTnqJ_-wP2uhKQjRHmTx84mUlJjax

...sigh. That is probably the best approach towards getting this back to something that even resembles normal...

ACtC-3d1w4ztESFHFy0gtt88Mmx_b2LM-MJf1zMoACtC-3fC0ZLEnALIdl2Cvcq9eI5ml1wahFT_yunG

Talking about actual injuries that occur, kinda undermines the comedy of the slapstick. The violence is only funny when there are no consequences to it...

ACtC-3dM09-oYb11wPtFfhwgkr8si9Hnb6_RZfP0ACtC-3fqDO5nW2Y5X-tiXPCROLVgwqvFOYNg_4PRACtC-3c4qudXpquOcSwFp5zhJwJ7rahh8rNlCFOT

Yeah this just comes across as a little creepy...

ACtC-3duH6MdDkBuMuq_OnSZj94LmrSMaCrZq-CKACtC-3d7b-DlT2rQM4DxrM5r5ERe0lyNve4Ma7ib

...as long as nobody else knows...yikes...this is whole support just feels so...slimy...

ACtC-3dCnjUN76UuxOiZ0DXGVLpcBic9B_jxS6vJ

...unsavory past... yeah this whole support is just putting a bad taste in my mouth, especially when its forced on the avatar character.

ACtC-3f9UFSVs3OZY9u88jvB00969ZkPpwXFvTeQACtC-3dZN3zi5UU7m6FrgQNl8ATaIP-xcmzkYB8jACtC-3cnanOTshGsG8JxGxzqJrN6EnBBQORObgvt

...unfortunately there is another part to this support due to gender...sigh....

Alright, hopefully the next one is more palatable

ACtC-3cSwIBNr86_u9OzuZV95b3cFKi2v6G1h0FrACtC-3euNpRzMOv_Hj8q7rEAcKSb18sHhu8Hkqbo

This has a nice little in medias res feel, with Fredrick covering for the hiding Virion.

ACtC-3cBBq8iWfgI6McxBoi8VlxLUdE-lt5jarq8ACtC-3fFzAjAPVM2TuSHdGF7DIz-yXJ9GDhfJQ2M

And cleverly reveals that Virion has some severe debts from what is presumable a fairly dangerous loan shark.

ACtC-3f7uE-U5OqoAhCmCLaKwpoLIp2Atr7y6Qw4ACtC-3eifkacR2qNXtTJQU5LUjC8IkzmE4fnC_cZ

This makes me think Virion is squandering fists fulls of money on massive parties, or something equally debaucherous. Although on the other hand, he might be intentionally hinting at that excuse, as he has other concerns that could require vaste sums of money as well...

ACtC-3fXn9fC7Fc-CRjuYbn6cXM02B9m4Nu6I6rTACtC-3dmkSKrof0rsgxIt8AOHlpkEiVjrplBji--ACtC-3cOAKSyPwicwmWzLDFsmKI97tzvUKGZTne4ACtC-3eeX5MlScoRvpGrA0iCJFX_LpSK8bQf8M2-

I assume Fredrick is hinting that he offered to loan the Shepherds money, and Freddy's rejection (not to mention Virion's reaction) just reinforces the notion that this mysterious debt collector is a loan shark.

ACtC-3dyHZ5xok1AnVh-Q82tj-xRrIoWlxtqlHJzACtC-3dpPJoQYRZ3YM0O9HdA2e7DwHURLLai8B1CACtC-3eaEq_0MhuPco9h5n-BAPwfDAjX2KxXL_-v

I don't think that is quite as odd as Fredrick is hinting, unless one or both of them were unreasonable antagonistic. It could easily be a simple part of buisiness for the loan shark, and not something as personal as Fredrick thinks. Plus, an organization like the Shepherds might need the kind of money it implies Virion borrowed, not to mention the individual nobles that are a part of the organization.

ACtC-3elCjTMRl8GQC2eECMZO3hCT0QsSQBJXs-7ACtC-3eQ4R8tvMJ9CluQv-BCg5m-HkWlz7_K7Ss1ACtC-3est0cJwZNSuKTH0XaQ9p0cbdqyl_Ezcld1

Well that is a narcissistic view on it. Rather fitting for Virion really.

ACtC-3dtYTJxWICOaeVEU48sPpBYLA-9XXJ4WPqzACtC-3cYCg0PfQNq1NWlouStyFkF4YqnKZwooojD

Probably both Fredrick...

ACtC-3ebaEh0EGmNT1RS59ojSgmYGORT2DkjUkRsACtC-3eSCwqwAGphwB7AWa2fuGmh_1XXryvyN9mB

I wonder if Fredrick actually meant that as an insult.

ACtC-3eq1acSTdPuddn7bB_XIANOCfGTnkExJKXhACtC-3cpurNFoknCtkvlNQjyuqzlJhAxXymyMh8o

I rather like how easily they made that smile of Fredrick come across as creepily ominous with Virion's reactions.

ACtC-3eR4WN8iBJvXo78-gGe6c2zgggOjSb-zD1zACtC-3fzNePbgQ4idIWDA-jEP4ucWcZyTIQ6CCBY

Fredrick certainly has the means to pull off that kind of threat. Thankfully this was a far more normal support, and with that I am dpne with this chapter